Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Actual duck in a top hat!

That made me gasp harder than anything else this show's done so far. God that dream sequence was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I think it's neat they ended up going with the South African background. It's tremendously touchy given the history of colonialism and exploitation and I'm interested to see how they work with it in the future. Not doing it at all would've been the safe route, so there must be a lot of consideration put into tackling it.

Or they could never address it again! :v:

I thought that was the original point with making him a boer. While Scrooge made his money off of his own physical hard work before going into finance and investments, it's kind of implicit that a wealthy man out in South Africa is going to have made his fortune off of the suffering of others.

Either that or most big ways to become a wealthy industrialist back in the 19th century were implicitly immoral and while they worked out a way for Scrooge to have mostly clean hands, Glomgold didn't get the same treatment.

On the other hand, they could go draw parallels with America's current most famous wealthy South African industrialist involved in contests with other wealthy industrialists has a rivalry with do-gooders who creates half-baked over-elaborate schemes, and has a serious issue with bragging about his schemes. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh wow, Scrooge tried to give young Glomgold his number one dime. That's actually a super nice gesture. Of course, nice gestures are meaningless and sometimes even insulting if the other person doesn't actually understand what's nice about them; and that's how Scrooge's inability to understand the emotions of others or properly communicate his own feelings ended up creating a lifelong mortal enemy.

I don't think it was THE Number One Dime, just a dime he hoped would serve as something similar for Duke. Obviously it backfired, and the pickpocketed golden money clip taught Duke a different lesson.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought that was the original point with making him a boer. While Scrooge made his money off of his own physical hard work before going into finance and investments, it's kind of implicit that a wealthy man out in South Africa is going to have made his fortune off of the suffering of others.

Either that or most big ways to become a wealthy industrialist back in the 19th century were implicitly immoral and while they worked out a way for Scrooge to have mostly clean hands, Glomgold didn't get the same treatment.

On the other hand, they could go draw parallels with America's current most famous wealthy South African industrialist involved in contests with other wealthy industrialists has a rivalry with do-gooders who creates half-baked over-elaborate schemes, and has a serious issue with bragging about his schemes. :v:

While we do have Mark Beaks as the resident tech bro billionaire, I've made that amusing comparison before.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This episode was really good

But I thought this week was going to be the Three Caballeros episode so I’m a bit miffed

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
People are already speculating now that the mission to rescue Della from the moon is going to drain just enough money from Scooge’s fortune to allow Glomgold to win the bet and gain control over McDuck Enterprises. I think that’s where this’ll end up too, because there’s no way Glomgold is winning that bet legitimately or illegitimately either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Amazing the sort of interesting backstory you can get by combining two character backgrounds into one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was the original point, but the comics come from a place of commentary and maturity that had kinda been pushed out of animation for years. Even being able to include a glance of something with a deep and ugly history still surprises me. But I also work on a show where S&P has a problem with showing a kid use a sewing machine, I guess. :psyduck:

Also Ghost Leviathan nailed it, that last bit can easily fit Mark Beaks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mark Beaks is more directly a Mark Zuckerberg riff mind, and his company Waddle is a mix of Google and Uber.

Also he's a magical girl.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

nine-gear crow posted:

People are already speculating now that the mission to rescue Della from the moon is going to drain just enough money from Scooge’s fortune to allow Glomgold to win the bet and gain control over McDuck Enterprises. I think that’s where this’ll end up too, because there’s no way Glomgold is winning that bet legitimately or illegitimately either.

That seems like a legitimate win to me. None of that is Glomgold's fault.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hasn't there been a comic storyline or two where Glomgold steals Scrooge's fortune and holdings, enough to affect the Forbes Fictional 15?

And on the note of tech bro spoofs; Scrooge in this incarnation was ahead of the curve in an ill-advised private space program. I wonder if a plot hook that might get Scrooge back in the game would be Glomgold or Beaks starting their own space exploration ventures.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 4, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rockerduck is also going to show up this season. And he is the one Scrooge gambles with the most. Though unlike the Glomgold bet, Rockerduck and Scrooge bets are pretty low stake. Normally the loser's punishment is having to eat their hat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Seeing Scrooge get pissed at Glomgold was amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like there's definitely more to that money clip than it just being a clip, but I have no idea what it could be

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like there's definitely more to that money clip than it just being a clip, but I have no idea what it could be

The way they were juxtaposing it with Zan Owlson in the dream sequence I thought it was some kind of mind control device or restraining bolt she'd planted on Glomgold to try and keep him from remembering who he really was and thereby coming back and ruining the company she was trying to save, possibly prefiguring her as villain herself. But no, she's apparently on the level and Glomgold was just having a hosed up dream.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this episode sure did make every episode with Glomgold retroactively disturbing

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Everyone should follow Sam King on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/samanthacking/status/1059243010179747841?s=21

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I found the episode to be a real clunker. It was just boring for long stretches. Enjoyed the origin story at the end, but the Fisherperson stuff went nowhere and was just fluff.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
A Scrooge vs Glomgold richest duck in the world competition?
Are they making an adaptation of the old 'Quest for Gold' PC game? :O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckTales:_The_Quest_for_Gold

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The old series had a multi episode storyline with that premise too - one of them also involved fish people.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Avalerion posted:

The old series had a multi episode storyline with that premise too - one of them also involved fish people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZISTZJr3fg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It likely isn't coincidence that the Glomgold origins episode features Louie and Webby- who have ambition, greed and guile, and physical prowess respectively.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Conclusions posted:

A Scrooge vs Glomgold richest duck in the world competition?
Are they making an adaptation of the old 'Quest for Gold' PC game? :O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckTales:_The_Quest_for_Gold

That is the exact thing I thought of too. I played that game to death as a kid!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
DuckTales is going full on Mickey's Christmas Carol for its Christmas episode this year--actually airing at Christmas time this time around rather than pulling a random episode of its order for dumb reasons.

It's also going full on Doctor Who too:

quote:

In a nod to “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” Scrooge avoids the pressures of the holidays by traveling back in time with a trio of fun-loving ghosts to crash history’s greatest Christmas parties instead. Meanwhile, time-lost Dewey teams up with young Donald Duck to find his mom on Christmas.

Also... Launchpad is Jewish. Who knew...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mazel tov!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

nine-gear crow posted:

DuckTales is going full on Mickey's Christmas Carol for its Christmas episode this year--actually airing at Christmas time this time around rather than pulling a random episode of its order for dumb reasons.

It's also going full on Doctor Who too:

Also... Launchpad is Jewish. Who knew...

Wow, there's, uh, a pretty huge spoiler for what is presumably part of the seasonal arc in that link.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tomorrow!!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Look at those beautiful boys.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Does that mean this Donald served in ww2?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

Tomorrow!!

I can't believe Donald was the only white guy in a Latin boy band.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Senerio posted:

Tomorrow!!

Are those cards in the holsters?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

maltesh posted:

Are those cards in the holsters?

Cell phones :eng101: They won't let him have pistols anymore because this isn't the 1940s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The for some reason barely released Three Caballeros cartoon didn't have the holsters at all, I think.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Next thing you'll tell me that Jose Carioca isn't a greasy flirt anymore.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They did the thing! Good episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Donald's college years sound wild.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Donald's college years sound wild.

Donald doesn't strike me as the college type. And I'm pretty confident that he hasn't gotten his degree. I wonder what his major was. Nautical engineering? History? He did apply for an office job in the first episode, so maybe he studied something completely mundane like economics.

I want to believe the he tried to study computer science and was thrown out when he smashed the university's main frame in a fit of rage after a slight error in his programming.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Can we uhhhh get Jose and Panchito as recurring characters please

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

I really enjoyed the episode!
I was imagining earlier this week what Donald's old college band could have been like. Donald was probably in college ~15-20 years ago, so thinking about what genres of music were popular back then... the thought of the caballeros as a pop punk trio was pretty funny to me. Looking like a thrift store green day or mcr or something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Donald doesn't strike me as the college type.

Maybe not back in the day, but now it totally fits for a college graduate to still be unable to find gainful employment and live on a boat because they can't afford a house.

A better question might be who paid for that college. Did Scrooge bankroll it, or did he pay Donald enough for his services as an adventuring companion to afford it, or did he serve in the navy and just got through on the GI bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe not back in the day, but now it totally fits for a college graduate to still be unable to find gainful employment and live on a boat because they can't afford a house.

A better question might be who paid for that college. Did Scrooge bankroll it, or did he pay Donald enough for his services as an adventuring companion to afford it, or did he serve in the navy and just got through on the GI bill?

That last one begs the question of what the heck Panchito and José would be doing in the navy.