Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hitman 2 impressions: Killing Jordan Cross again and again for my loving krugermeier back. New maps? What new maps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, how's performance in the new game compared to the first? I see it has the same minimum requirements as S1 (though higher recommended specs) and browsing on Reddit has people saying it performs better in general (other than the Mumbai level). Asking as someone who had stable performance in S1 except for the occasional dip in Marrakesh.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

AceOfFlames posted:

My biggest problem with the plot is that every single mission has some labored means to tie it to the ongoing Shadow Client vs. Providence conflict. I always enjoyed learning about the various motives clients had behind the hits (my favorite is still "We were hired to kill Swedish Bernie Madoff and an evil Moroccan general to stop the latter from turning Morocco into a military dictatorship... by a construction conglomerate who doesn't want to lose its lucrative contracts with the current Moroccan government") even though they were being manipulated by the Shadow Client. Now it's "Go kill these two rear end in a top hat billionaires...because they defected from Providence". "Go kill the leadership of the world's biggest drug Cartel...because they are helping the Shadow Client". They could have at least have Diana sound more frustrated that she and 47 have been reduced to Providence's personal hit squad.

For real, Marrakesh had the best setup of any of the levels. It really gave the sense of a country getting ready to tear itself apart and you being deployed just in time to keep the whole thing from cracking open like an egg.

ZearothK posted:

So, how's performance in the new game compared to the first? I see it has the same minimum requirements as S1 (though higher recommended specs) and browsing on Reddit has people saying it performs better in general (other than the Mumbai level). Asking as someone who had stable performance in S1 except for the occasional dip in Marrakesh.

Well, I used to have audio stuttering issues in Paris on the higher quality settings, but now I don't have that, which is pretty nice, plus the lighting is better and adds a nice touch to things. So for me, it's improved!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

For real, Marrakesh had the best setup of any of the levels. It really gave the sense of a country getting ready to tear itself apart and you being deployed just in time to keep the whole thing from cracking open like an egg.

And all in the name of safeguarding a corporation's profits. "Oh, is this another MI6 or CIA mission?" "NOPE. They don't care, but a massive corporation wants their money so off you go!"

These sorts of petty motives really made the world feel more human. Marco Abiatti is another great one. Here is a dude who is clearly Berlusconi on steroids and could do massive damage to this town yet Caruso wants him dead for having bullied him at school and apparently nothing else. In contrast, you have the Caruso hit itself where you are hired by someone who honestly wants to stop this bioweapon from enabling all sorts of dictators and maniacs and Diana is all "this thing could put us out of a job if it gets completed so you better be on your A-game, 47!"

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ZearothK posted:

I have to lower my settings compared to S1 and it still runs worse. :shrug: Looks pretty at least.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Question. Will Hitman 2 also follow the model of releasing the missions every couple of months or is this pretty much a complete game?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Question. Will Hitman 2 also follow the model of releasing the missions every couple of months or is this pretty much a complete game?
All the locations are available from the off. There are two DLC expansion packs planned that will bring a new location each.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Based on a brief experience with the first tutorial level, my game also seemed to run worse (and changing settings including resolution made little difference) but I'm not entirely certain yet because I don't remember exactly how well 2016 ran in the same place. I noticed that it made my 970 run at 100% capacity yesterday which I'm pretty sure didn't happen before and would probably explain it, though when I tried again today it didn't seem quite that bad.

Haven't tried the real crowded levels yet.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i managed to do all three of the ‘story missions’ on the military hangar tutorial and die before completing the kill but they still count as complete. who knew

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000

Super No Vacancy posted:

i managed to do all three of the ‘story missions’ on the military hangar tutorial and die before completing the kill but they still count as complete. who knew

Once you complete a feat or challenge, it will stay completed even if you have to reload.

Save your game before you kill a target and you can bang out 3 or 4 challenges at once. You will get rewards once you complete the level.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ah guess I need to go back in and actually not fail!

I just got a message that the superior coin was unlocked based on my progress with elusive targets in the first game and it was one of three possible unlocks. Also got the briefcase and suit. I probably only did like three elusive targets, did people who did more get something else?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh looks like you just get one of three coins

https://twitter.com/hitman/status/928374067790356481?s=21

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Of the maps I've played so far, Mumbai > Miami > Colombia, IMO. Haven't tried Vermont or Sgail yet, but Mumbai just feels so open and interesting, while I still don't feel like I have any idea of how to get around in Colombia.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's a small thing but I love that 47 can just quickly pick up objects without it interrupting movement now.

Is there a list of non-obvious mechanical differences between this and the previous game? I know some stuff (fire extinguisher nerf, shooting doors open, etc.) but I'm not sure what all there is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It won't let you submit to frisks if you have any suspicious items at all now iirc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It won't let you submit to frisks if you have any suspicious items at all now iirc.

Which is really weird because once you do you still get the "knock out" prompt.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So am I missing something, or is the sweet-rear end Tranquilizer Gun in New Zealand currently unavailable as a loadout? Because if so, that's a drat shame, because it looks like a capital-F Fun gun.

EDIT: WAIT WAIT CANCEL THAT THE FUN GUN IS AVAILABLE. You get it by beating all the Mission Story Challenges in Wittleton Creek. Phew. That was a close one.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 10, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I only tried it once but can you still disable security systems by throwing sufficiently heavy objects at them? I wasn’t sure if they changed that or if my aim was just bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I completed an ET in the first game but I didn't get a new precious coin :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

So is outstanding the best one? That's the one I got. :smugdog:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spot the problem.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The cutscene that plays when I try to sabotage the race car just straight up crashes my game. Anyone else having this?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Midnight Voyager posted:

Spot the problem.

Those sunglasses are a vampire!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChaosArgate posted:

I only tried it once but can you still disable security systems by throwing sufficiently heavy objects at them? I wasn’t sure if they changed that or if my aim was just bad.
Yes, that still works. And yes, briefcases are heavy enough for this purpose. :getin:

Edit: Works for cameras, may not work for the recorder. I tried to throw a FE at the latter and it didn't work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Neat, they fixed the "single exit" problem, by making the canon exit optional in one of the new maps.

Also neat: Portable electrocutions, in the form of car batteries.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
22 hours played so far according to Steam. I must say I have to force myself to stop playing at this point. Game is hitman rear end hitman.

It was funny watching Geff Gerstmann playing on his home stream Friday. At one point he laughed and said he loved the game, and I concur. I think it will be in the Giantbomb top 10 this year.

I really can't wait to murder Sean Bean.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

It was funny watching Geff Gerstmann playing on his home stream Friday. At one point he laughed and said he loved the game, and I concur. I think it will be in the Giantbomb top 10 this year.

Which is hilarious since he usually outright despises stealth games. Hitman 2016 (and I'm guessing this one) is his one great exception.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I really want that suit but I think every single time I ever played season one it was in between targets so I never got to do one. Limited time events in video games are such stupid poo poo.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Put a lil backspin on your throws for controlled timing!
https://i.imgur.com/AoA1zkp.mp4

What you don't see the first time is that he's two handing it by the handle and somehow puts forward spin on.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
He truly is the zenith of Ort-Meyer's research.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I wish unimportant conversations were subtitled too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Took me two and a half hours, but I managed to beat Sgail with SASO... on my first run, with copious savescumming. It was really stressful and difficult, and once I killed the first sister with an accident, I panicked pretty hard because of the timer, but the other sister's cycle lined up perfectly for me to take her out before I ran out of time. At times that map felt like total bullshit, but figuring it out was one of the best things I've done in this series.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Alright, I can probably say with confidence that the game runs a lot worse for me than the previous one. That said I'm not sure if it's related to it actually being heavier, or if it's simply because it just seems to eat way more memory.

In the case of my relatively old computer, that means more or less all of the memory.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'm getting a fair amount of lockup crashing too, especially trying to load autosaves. 8gb of ddr3 might not be doing it these days :/

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think you need some more ram.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Hi I'm too busy playing it to drop a long post but I just wanted to say that Hitman 2 is super good and all the missions I've played so far are probably better than their Hitman 2016 counterparts? Conveniently I can play the 2016 levels with the improvements after I'm done with the new levels to check!
The one downside so far is Hawkes Bay having main mission billing despite being a small tutorial level but I can't care too much because gosh dang this is Good Hitman.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ripper Swarm posted:

The one downside so far is Hawkes Bay having main mission billing despite being a small tutorial level but I can't care too much because gosh dang this is Good Hitman.
If you combine Hawkes Bay with Sniper Assassin at Himmelstein it evens out a bit better.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

If you combine Hawkes Bay with Sniper Assassin at Himmelstein it evens out a bit better.

A bit but not quite, if the 5 proper levels in the game weren't so good then it'd feel a bit stingy. Since there are no mediocre ones though, it's alright.

What's everybody's favourite? Obviously it's pretty early, I've only played them all once through. I think Mumbai is right now, with Miami a close followup.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so far I've only played new zealand and paris lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, it feels like they're trying to add 'shades of grey' to the plot because the first game kinda made the Shadow Client seem like the good guy. They couldn't really have been much more "But he's REALLY EVIL TOO!" with having the agent you kill in the tutorial being Ms Murder McCruelpants.

I assume it's to try and make 47 and Diana seem less like the bad guys for working for Providence. Which is a misstep in 2 ways: There's no reason 47 and Diana have to be squeaky clean and secondly, if you want them to be heroic, just have the plot be "keep doing the Shadow Client's bidding so we can draw him out".

i mean most of the people you have killed over the years in the hitman games are pretty hosed up monsters of various sorts. i mean the most grey of them is a former gangster turned state who is trying to escape the life with his wife and kids and a lovely businessman who didn't build his park to code and is now the lap dog of some petty crime lord. the rest are either hosed up deviants, psycho reactionaries, criminals, or hosed up paul manafort type fixers.