Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
I did it. I quit my tech job in Seattle and am moving back home to Mexico. close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also, i moved most of my Bentley posting to a thread in AI:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864352&perpage=40

i am happy to keep simulspamming it to the cjs thread if people enjoy it here tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Janitor Prime posted:

I did it. I quit my tech job in Seattle and am moving back home to Mexico. close enough

congratulations on your escape from america

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

escape from america

new kurt russell vehicle sounding timely.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i am happy to keep simulspamming it to the cjs thread if people enjoy it here tho

we enjoy watching you keep digging in that well

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Janitor Prime posted:

Godspeed goon. Can I have your old job

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Janitor Prime posted:

unironic hell yeah :911:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

interested to hear what mpg on 10w-30 you’re getting

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

interested to hear what mpg on 10w-30 you’re getting

seems impossible that oil weight is gonna be the deciding factor between a chonkin' and hefty chonkin' range

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

seems impossible that oil weight is gonna be the deciding factor between a chonkin' and hefty chonkin' range

no you misunderstand. i mean how many quarts of oil to get to autozone and back (to buy more oil)

i had a poo poo rodeo once that got 50 mpg

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lol. actually I am not burning a lot of oil as far as I can tell. dipstick really hasnt moved in the 1000 miles I’ve driven it already (700 to grt it down here).

found a slow coolant leak up front, and a loose hydraulic line on the self leveling suspension. other than the all fluids seem to be fine. tightened the hydraulic hose and will be power washing the underside of the engine to find the actual coolant leak source, then probably just replacing a hose or clamp or something. if i need a gasket somewhere it’s slow enough to wait until a bigger job.

also hooked up a manifold vacuum gage and the turbo seems not to be boosting, which will mean $300-500 eventually for a rebuilt turbo, but it is 6.8L so it does 0-60 in 8 seconds according to this phone app even with the turbo jammed.

from the factory it only ran like 3-4 PSI of boost to do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Put a huge fuckin Garrett on it

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Janitor Prime posted:

congrats :)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

Put a huge fuckin Garrett on it

thinkin about it. gonna follow the workshop troubleshooting diagram today and see what comes up.

found 1000 pages of general workshop manuals and engine service manuals on the bentleymotors site archive:
http://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/download/TSD4700.pdf
http://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/download/TSD4737.pdf

if i get it boosting I'll at least adjust the wastegate a bit and add a few more pounds of boost.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 10, 2018

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Happy working on Saturday when you already voluntarily gave up a vacation next week because work work work.... uh... day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since nobody is gonna man up and tell it straight, i'll just let it rip: you're getting close to echopenis territory

it ain't lookin good for you, son

don't confess this poo poo to yospos. we don't wanna know, and it makes you look like a fuckin moron.

oh yeah now I feel worthwhile

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

thinkin about it. gonna follow the workshop troubleshooting diagram today and see what comes up.

found 1000 pages of general workshop manuals and engine service manuals on the bentleymotors site archive:
http://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/download/TSD4700.pdf
http://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/download/TSD4737.pdf

if i get it boosting I'll at least adjust the wastegate a bit and add a few more pounds of boost.

And we have boost!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqbnXexxSF4

Only 2 psi, might be a limp home mode of some sort. The engine temp sensor seems to be reading pretty low, that might be it. I don't have one handy to replace it, but I will try turning the wastegate as the laser thermometer says the engine block temp is actually perfectly fine.

We definitely look like car thieves. Hood open with vacuum lines running into the cabin and driving down the highway at full throttle with black gloves on.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
attn. kwinkles re. turbo improvem’nts:

https://twitter.com/shitty_car_mods/status/1061381326455103489?s=21

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since nobody is gonna man up and tell it straight, i'll just let it rip: you're getting close to echopenis territory

hey. hey. i beat you to that take, pops.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Only 2 psi, might be a limp home mode of some sort. The engine temp sensor seems to be reading pretty low, that might be it. I don't have one handy to replace it, but I will try turning the wastegate as the laser thermometer says the engine block temp is actually perfectly fine.

lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm buying a first gen Expedition this month, i am pretty excited. nice cushy suvboat with big motor and plenty of room for me to bolt up ham antennas and poo poo and go camping in

i literally never drive the bimmer any more except for errands, and its made to put miles on at 130 mph which i don't do on 4 wheels. gonna dump it on some kid that wants his 2cool 6speed v8

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm buying a first gen Expedition this month, i am pretty excited. nice cushy suvboat with big motor and plenty of room for me to bolt up ham antennas and poo poo and go camping in

i replaced so many ball joints on those things, especially the uppers. oem parts were sealed/not serviceable, so they dry out and hog themselves sloppy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, $400 on rockauto for brakes and ball joints and it should be in pretty fair shape no matter which one i pick. im fine with wrench twistin. there are dozens around here, i can be choosy

gon' put a couple big ham antennas and a winch on it and lay out an air mattress in the back and go chill in the mountains. goal is to make it look as much like FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN as i can

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, $400 on rockauto for brakes and ball joints and it should be in pretty fair shape no matter which one i pick. im fine with wrench twistin. there are dozens around here, i can be choosy

gon' put a couple big ham antennas and a winch on it and lay out an air mattress in the back and go chill in the mountains. goal is to make it look as much like FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN as i can

FEDERAL BOOTY INVESTIGATOR

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

i literally never drive the bimmer any more except for errands, and its made to put miles on at 130 mph which i don't do on 4 wheels. gonna dump it on some kid that wants his 2cool 6speed v8

this reminds me that i have continuously forgotten to take the ham test. i'll do one this week and see how it goes. i think the technician will be no problem but the general i might fail the first time.

then i can add some good antennas on the bentley

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bulgakov posted:

but he is right back at it with the newest first snow video. you barely notice the poop bag :allears:

a gem of a yuotuber

i absolutely love mr. apetor

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Can I move out and chill with the hamvan

I got a tent I don't take up room

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
cars don't go anywhere in the wilderness, the "open road" is a human blight on the landscape

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

keyboard vomit posted:

Can I move out and chill with the hamvan

I got a tent I don't take up room

oh hell yeah sure np. im actually going to look at an expedition thats even newer than i was looking at tomorrow morning, looks like if i spend like $500 more than i originally planned i can get a v nice ride with all sorts of fancy poo poo. rear heat and a/c lol? sure. you'll be comfy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well I spent plenty of time ruining my lungs this weekend enjoying our not-yet-ruined outdoors in the smoke of the carnage nearby :smith:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

bumpin this thread dawg, you know why

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump.

thread's only 5th from the top so not much of a bump but the sentiment is still there believe me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bumping this thread to say when i think of pram and texan yospos in general this is what i imagine https://twitter.com/KevinGotGame/status/1058736674937753600

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I rode my bicycle in the woods today

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

echinopsis posted:

bumping this thread to say when i think of pram and texan yospos in general this is what i imagine https://twitter.com/KevinGotGame/status/1058736674937753600

new boot goofin

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
actually this is what T*xas yosposters do irl when not posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQkt4tS0Tc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pining for the woods

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tomorrow at 10am i get my woods truk

asked 4500, i got him down to 4k by griping about a broken tail light

lets go camping !!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

tomorrow at 10am i get my woods truk

asked 4500, i got him down to 4k by griping about a broken tail light

lets go camping !!!

Put on a big ol' alternator and crank that transmitter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

adopted a puppy, dont care about computers anymore.