Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Slay the Spire good lord why is the lagavulin a thing, this piece of garbage is such an early run ruiner. it's one of three elite enemies (minibosses, basically) where its gimmick is that it's asleep with 8 block until you deal health damage, at which point it will start dealing 18 damage (that's a lot of damage) and will eventually start decreasing the damage you deal and the block you gain from cards, making the fight even more of a slog. additionally, gently caress every act 2 elite enemies, those are all harder than any act 3 elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

2 definitely had some significant faults and I never actually finished the story because I always end up getting bored but I think it's still my favorite Far Cry too. It's a very experimental game and I respect the heck out of those sorts.

Hell yeah. I loved how it encouraged you to be an underhanded fighter and use that to have you realize you’re as hosed up as the other side instead of using villainous speeches.

Also, can someone please tell Rockstar everyone hates tapping a button to sprint it’s been like a decade since everyone else dropped that mechanic. RDR2 is pissing me off in so many ways.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

Slay the Spire good lord why is the lagavulin a thing, this piece of garbage is such an early run ruiner. it's one of three elite enemies (minibosses, basically) where its gimmick is that it's asleep with 8 block until you deal health damage, at which point it will start dealing 18 damage (that's a lot of damage) and will eventually start decreasing the damage you deal and the block you gain from cards, making the fight even more of a slog. additionally, gently caress every act 2 elite enemies, those are all harder than any act 3 elites.

giant head says hello

tbh all of the acts have an elite harder than the rest: lagavulin, book of stabs, giant head

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, can someone please tell Rockstar everyone hates tapping a button to sprint it’s been like a decade since everyone else dropped that mechanic. RDR2 is pissing me off in so many ways.

Rockstar from the past has heard you and put this in the options menu.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

Rockstar from the past has heard you and put this in the options menu.

No, you can toggle to run, to sprint you still have to mash X. The toggle is to just not use their obscenely slow walk speed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just finished God of War and while there was never a doubt there would be a sequel gently caress that ending.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Something that always drove me crazy in Civ 5 is how city/terrain/resource generation works.

To maximize resources you want to settle cities within 3 tiles of as many resources as possible, almost completely disregarding rivers/coastline/defensibility. The way the game generates terrain mean its not at all uncommon to settle one tile away from the coast because you can reach a few more resources that way, when in real life the vast majority of cities are located right next to water. This also affects your naval projection because you can only build ships from cities right on the coastline, so that's another consideration of whether you want to project naval power on that coast or would you rather have a city that doesn't suck.

This is something that Civ 6 fixed along with the stupidly heavy penalties on having more than five cities. Unfortunately the AI is still stupid as a sack of hammers and unless the map generator really hated you, after 100 turns you are in a lead where you can select which victory condition to use (but not religion since for some reason that is the only one AI actually is competent on using).

Which leads to my biggest grief in Total war / Civilization games; why is the AI so loving bad at everything? Making a real AI is difficult I know, but these game series constantly rely on AIs which barely can even play their own simplified versions of the game, making the game session A) annoying grinds against endless supply of enemy units or B) keep dying against some basic tactic which does not even require ingenuity to pull off. For example, how loving hard is it to add script for the AI to keep its navy in a fighting condition, and actually try to use it to secure its shorelines, or make units that actually attack your cities? Or make the AI to not build components which lead to a disabled victory condition? Or at least vary the cheat engine so that player actions such as port blocking or resource sacking actually affects something?

Its really annoying to see these AAA strategy game series and find out that they still are using an AI which cant punch its way out of a paper bag, while games which have something like .01% of the manpower deliver believable AI which can easily adjust to random scenarios and generated maps. You have the money, why can't you fix one of your product series's main problems? Only consolation so far has been that the Total war AI has improved a bit and does not seem to cheat as much as it did during Napoleon/Shogun 2 era, but at the same time the campaign mode has been streamlined quite a bit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FarCry 5 is the most fun one to actually run around and do poo poo in for me, but the story and whole theme was completely gutted and wasted since someone somewhere on the ladder chickened out on really pushing it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So Darkwood is a pretty rad literal survival horror game where you're trying to survive in a spooky forest that hates you and everything you stand for. The game has three difficulty levels: permadeath, permadeath after a couple freebie deaths, and no permadeath at all. The main gameplay loop is balancing your exploration and advancement of the plot with the crafting and gathering of tools you'll need to survive the night, when unspeakable horrors descend upon the ramshackle hut you have the brass balls to call your sanctuary.

The problem is in the penalties for death. If you die in the permadeath modes you need to start from the beginning of the story on a newly randomized map and slowly work your way back to where you left off, and I don't have the loving time for that. If you go the no permadeath route, the only penalty for dying is that you drop your stuff. This cuts all the tension out of the nightly attacks, since after you respawn you can just pick it back up and be on your merry way.

I feel like the solution would be death dropping you back at the beginning of the previous day, forcing you to play again without loving up this time, but the game only lets you choose between death as a total reset button or a minor inconvenience.

I've given up on darkwood,i can't make any progress in chapter 2 and it's just too loving frustrating,the enemies become bullshit and no matter what i do i can't compete.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
City Skylines is fun but I'm a loving moron and can never make traffic that doesn't get absurdly backed up at one or two intersections no matter what I do. :negative:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't recommend Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass enough, it's like every great SNES RPG rolled into one. But increasing the prices of basic healing items as you go forward in the game is pretty annoying. If you don't max out on HP and MP boosts the first chance you get (you can carry 10 of any item maximum), you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Also, the story's symbolism is depressing as all hell, and if you realize what it is and then decide not to play anymore, I can't blame you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

City Skylines is fun but I'm a loving moron and can never make traffic that doesn't get absurdly backed up at one or two intersections no matter what I do. :negative:

Look at this scrub who didn't get a traffic engineering degree before booting the game.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RyokoTK posted:

FC5 is considerably worse than 3 and 4, since it forgot that the series traded heavily on charismatically evil villains.

e: not to mention that in a series not known for writing actually coherent or plausible stories to begin with, it poo poo the bed to a catastrophic degree in that regard anyway

tsk I'm sure it will pop up on a bundle site as some ridiculously low price all-in GOTY DLC in a couple years and I can take a low-risk look.

FC:Instincts (as I think I said ITT before) was great in that you could set jungle traps for the AI soldiers and then ambush their buddy in the confusion. OG Xbox had some fun stuff on it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the jungle traps were absurdly fun

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Instincts is probably a better game than original FC1 in general.

My opinion of FC1 may have been higher if it wasn't both buggy (stealth basically being non-functional) and absurdly difficult. Also the part where 50% of the game is unique for its time pseudo-open world and then the other 50% is pure twitchy corridor shooting like any other shooter ever.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
God of War is an interesting case where I can't remember the last time I played such a solid, well made game, and found it utterly unmemorable by the time I completed it and put it down for good.I can't explain it. There's the setpieces, the story's pretty good ( even if I feel it seriously downplays how monstrous Kratos was in the past) and the combat system is satisfying enough.
And yet, it completly failed to make an impression on me and I absolutely can't explain it. Go figure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Karanas posted:

God of War is an interesting case where I can't remember the last time I played such a solid, well made game, and found it utterly unmemorable by the time I completed it and put it down for good.I can't explain it. There's the setpieces, the story's pretty good ( even if I feel it seriously downplays how monstrous Kratos was in the past) and the combat system is satisfying enough.
And yet, it completly failed to make an impression on me and I absolutely can't explain it. Go figure.

Look, Greece was a lot time ago. Mistakes were made and Kratos is just leaving it over there to be forgotten.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also as cheesy as it is, the thing now dragging down Skyrim is that I'm kinda just...done. The game finally ran out. Did all the main quests (except the civil war and the Dark Brotherhood), both story DLCs, built and furnished all the houses available, got all of the dragon shouts (except the two locked behind the aforementioned quests), grabbed all of the permanent buffs, have most of the artifacts of note (ignored or refused some Daedric stuff), and I'm maxed out on all of the skills I care about, resulting in a character that's borderline indestructible and can clown on anything the game throws at her.

Aside from some minor sidequests I never got involved in, a few DLC scavenger hunts, and a bunch of faction-specific, radiant-grind-locked stuff, along with a bunch of generic dungeons and other uncleared points of interest, I've thoroughly exhausted the game. And I'm sad because I actually really enjoyed myself, handful of bugs aside. Not really sure if I should take the plunge and boot up Oblivion of all things or take another shot at Fallout 3 or what.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Spire has some good decisions hidden inside a lot of bad ones, and it doesn't have the gameplay depth to make up for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Also as cheesy as it is, the thing now dragging down Skyrim is that I'm kinda just...done. The game finally ran out. Did all the main quests (except the civil war and the Dark Brotherhood), both story DLCs, built and furnished all the houses available, got all of the dragon shouts (except the two locked behind the aforementioned quests), grabbed all of the permanent buffs, have most of the artifacts of note (ignored or refused some Daedric stuff), and I'm maxed out on all of the skills I care about, resulting in a character that's borderline indestructible and can clown on anything the game throws at her.

Aside from some minor sidequests I never got involved in, a few DLC scavenger hunts, and a bunch of faction-specific, radiant-grind-locked stuff, along with a bunch of generic dungeons and other uncleared points of interest, I've thoroughly exhausted the game. And I'm sad because I actually really enjoyed myself, handful of bugs aside. Not really sure if I should take the plunge and boot up Oblivion of all things or take another shot at Fallout 3 or what.
This isn't a thing dragging it down, you just beat the game. Go play ESO.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Decided to move all my sims together into one big house and my god autonomy loving sucks in Sims 4. Sims are hypochondriacs and extremely serious about keeping hydrated. They are constantly washing their hands and drinking water. This causes issues when another one is trying to was dishes and every loving sink is being taken up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Karanas posted:

That’s how all the Sony first-party games are for me. Most of the time I feel like the gameplay is just decent at best but with a really nice coat of paint that helps cover that up for a while. I haven’t played God of War yet but that’s how I feel about The Last of Us, the Uncharted games, and (to a lesser extent because there is a good amount that it does right) Spider-Man.

Your reaction was exactly the same one I had to The Last of Us, I was enthralled the whole time I was actually playing but the instant the credits rolled it was like a spell had been broken and I was just like “huh... that really wasn’t that great.”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I still feel like Last of Us would have been better served as a short movie or TV series. It felt too drat long and there wasn't much beyond moving from arena full of guys to arena full of guys.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just didnt enjoy the gameplay of the last of us at all. Made it along to... Some flooded city? I forget where. You go through an abandoned hotel, I took a roundabout route through the hotel (you could go through different paths, through locked doors and windows and such. Got in a fight, died, checkpoint loaded... and I had literally no idea where the gently caress I was, it was a corridor I had never seen before. I think i'd taken a shortcut that missed that corridor then died and it was the nearest checkpoint, but I had no idea where to go, how far back from where I'd died I was, nothing. At that point I stopped making allowances for the game and just traded it. I was enjoying the story okay, but didnt feel like it was showing me anything I hadnt seen in other zombie/apocalyptic media, and the gameplay never clicked with me. Chalked it up as "game that loads of people like thats just not for me".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

spit on my clit posted:

The thing about act 1 is that your first few card drafts need to be straightforward damage, because most of the fights (and certainly the elites) are damage races. It really only takes like one good card and one upgrade to get the job done. So like, Bash+ and Wild Strike, or Neutralize+ and Bouncing Flask, or Zap+ and Ball Lightning.

Lagavulin can’t do crap about orbs or poison. Also if you can grab a potion or two beforehand, they make a big difference.

You’re going to take damage in elite fights basically no matter what; like many roguelites, HP is just another resource to convert into firepower (relics, in this case).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

2 was the best far cry. Fight me.

I loved navigating by looking down at a map while driving and switching out guns as they wore down. The malaria thing was a misstep but it was the game that really delivered on an open world where everything was out to get you with moments of beauty and some real fun exploration added in.

I did play on PC with save anywhere, though. I can’t imagine doing it on console with limited save locations.

Far Cry 2 is the most ambitious and by far the most technologically impressive at the time of release. It does a lot of things that even the more recent Far Cry games don't do (the destructible foliage, the awesome fire, etc.), it's one of the best attempt at a Heart of Darkness theme in a game (in some ways, it's even better at it than Spec Ops: The Line) and it's really super immersive. The only thing is that a LOT of the design decisions are clearly trying to make the PC miserable and make the player miserable by extension. I can appreciate that to an extent, but eventually I get annoyed and launch a game where I can shoot people without my gun blowing up after 12 shots and not pass out from malaria.

Far Cry 3 is obviously the basis for all the other (streamlined) Far Cry games. It keeps the basic structure, but it's much easier and much more akin to other open world/Ubisoft games. I think it does a lot to make the Far Cry 2 format much more digestible for the average player and it has the best villain of the series (that it kills 2/3 of the way through, wtf?!), but it has a super pretentious story/theme and the streamlining did take a lot out of the uniqueness of the game.

Far Cry 4 is Far Cry 3 with a wing suit and a villain that very obviously tries to be Vaas but doesn't quite make it, but at least doesn't die halfway through the story. The story is just as garbage but at least doesn't pretend to be smart, and while people are super quick to point out that the "good" leaders are a pedophile and a druglord, it's entirely by design.

Far Cry 5 is Far Cry 4 with a few welcome additions to the gameplay (vehicles, map, co-op, etc.), but a completely garbage narrative. It's fun to gently caress around in, but anything related to the story loving blows.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Karanas posted:

the story's pretty good ( even if I feel it seriously downplays how monstrous Kratos was in the past)

Making Kratos a grumpy fuzzy daddy would be hilarious if it hadn't worked so well that people now ask "is kratos a good dad?" without any hint of irony.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This isn't a thing dragging it down, you just beat the game. Go play ESO.

I mean, in the sense that I want more game and there isn't more game. But yeah ESO seems like a good idea.

Edit: Or maybe not. ESO looks like an Elder Scrolls-flavored MMO more than it looks like an Elder Scrolls game. Not even necessarily a bad Elder Scrolls-flavored MMO, but I don't think it's going to capture what enticed me about Skyrim. I may be about to install Oblivion in TYOOL 2018.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Nov 11, 2018

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Byzantine posted:

Making Kratos a grumpy fuzzy daddy would be hilarious if it hadn't worked so well that people now ask "is kratos a good dad?" without any hint of irony.

I know right? I always wondered if we were supposed to feel sorry for him that the defenseless women and child he butchered happened to be his that time. “Oh no Ares tricked me!” Boo loving hoo. You’re entirely responsible you blood thirsty psychopath.

Karanas has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Nov 11, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Byzantine posted:

It drives me crazy because he is a miserable failure of a parent in game. Going from "lowest tier parent who is not actively negligent to his child's health" to "able to tell child a story without insulting them" is not a big loving improvemenr

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

It drives me crazy because he is a miserable failure of a parent in game. Going from "lowest tier parent who is not actively negligent to his child's health" to "able to tell child a story without insulting them" is not a big loving improvemenr

At least he didn't murder this kid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

At least he didn't murder this kid

Third(?) times the charm.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Overwatch Porn posted:

giant head says hello

tbh all of the acts have an elite harder than the rest: lagavulin, book of stabs, giant head

honestly, giant head and book of stabs is easy for me. giant head i usually have a lot of energy to spam cards and big attacks with (worst at him with the defect because i like the orbs too much), book of stabs i usually have a lot of defense for (orbs are my strength), but i have no good way to rush down the lagavulin. hell, the goblin team and the slaver teams are much harder for me.

RyokoTK posted:

The thing about act 1 is that your first few card drafts need to be straightforward damage, because most of the fights (and certainly the elites) are damage races. It really only takes like one good card and one upgrade to get the job done. So like, Bash+ and Wild Strike, or Neutralize+ and Bouncing Flask, or Zap+ and Ball Lightning.

Lagavulin can’t do crap about orbs or poison. Also if you can grab a potion or two beforehand, they make a big difference.

You’re going to take damage in elite fights basically no matter what; like many roguelites, HP is just another resource to convert into firepower (relics, in this case).

that's a great perspective, i usually try too hard to get my deck setup made before the second act (see: full block based ironclad or orbs mcfrenzy)

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Nov 11, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The worst thing about FC5 is they gave you a giant murder kitten to co-op with and then the rest of the game isn't worth playing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

spit on my clit posted:

honestly, giant head and book of stabs is easy for me. giant head i usually have a lot of energy to spam cards and big attacks with (worst at him with the defect because i like the orbs too much), book of stabs i usually have a lot of defense for (orbs are my strength), but i have no good way to rush down the lagavulin. hell, the goblin team and the slaver teams are much harder for me.

that's a great perspective, i usually try too hard to get my deck setup made before the second act (see: full block based ironclad or orbs mcfrenzy)

If your struggle is specifically with Defect, grabbing and upgrading a Streamline is a huge sledgehammer for early game. Sunder is technically better. Claw is a trap.

Trying to lean into orbs too early can work, but like, you can’t have a hand full of Coolheaded or Gremlin Nob will ruin you, and without focus a couple of lightning orbs will struggle against the first boss if that’s all you have for offense. Also Defect benefits a lot more from removing Strikes super early than the other two classes.

Once you get into act 2, leaning more into card draw is usually successful. Electrodynamics pretty much wins act 2 by itself for area damage too. Compile Driver is common and good. Sweeping Beam is inoffensive area damage and a cantrip. Coolheaded is a lot better once you have energy and focus. Stuff like Go for the Eyes and Turbo will help you get the most mileage out of that draw power. Then you beat the act 2 elites by just making GBS threads out cards at them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Or maybe not. ESO looks like an Elder Scrolls-flavored MMO more than it looks like an Elder Scrolls game. Not even necessarily a bad Elder Scrolls-flavored MMO, but I don't think it's going to capture what enticed me about Skyrim. I may be about to install Oblivion in TYOOL 2018.
It's real good, try it.

edit: But keep in mind I enjoyed Skyrim more as a first-person dungeon loot crawl than any sort of freeform open world game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's real good, try it.

edit: But keep in mind I enjoyed Skyrim more as a first-person dungeon loot crawl than any sort of freeform open world game.

Therein lies the problem. For me it was all about the exploration and immersion. Like, I might still go ahead and try ESO next time there's a free trial or it goes on sale, 'cause it looks like it has some neat systems and ideas going on, but it's not going to work as a Skyrim alternative for me.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Far Cry Primal is far and away the best one :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having played Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 5... I would recommended Far Cry 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Far Cry 2 is a great game.

For 2 hours. Nothing less, nothing more.