Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really appreciate some of the subtle details in this season.

Like how in Miami, if you show the killer android the picture when he's standing in front of it, he says "Aww crap..." but if you show it BEFORE, it engages him sooner and he tells it "Go to hell!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I still haven't received my Gucci coin :(

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I just realized that one of the things I find really neat about this new version of Hitman games is that they are essentially open world games with all of the fat trimmed off. So instead of these sprawling, unwieldy worlds populated with a bunch of nameless NPC's that blip in and out of existence depending on your proximity to them, you have this might tighter, handcrafted clockwork of a location, where each NPC (save the crowd NPC's) has their own unique name, their own unique behavior, and their own unique relations with the other entities within the world, all of it persisting (for the most part) whether you're there watching them or not.

And instead of having the world be populated with this glut of cut-and-paste sidequests where in order to progress you have to do some mindless chore over and over again, you're just given the "main quests", and you're rewarded for approaching them in a bunch of different ways. And no matter which way you do it, the quest will typically wrap up in well under an hour, maybe even more often under thirty minutes on repeat tries. It feels weird to say that this two-game series that I've now sunk 130 hours into respects my time, but I feel like it does.

It reminds me of Majora's Mask. The world is smaller, but it has a lot more depth. The objectives are the same each time, but despite starting over, there's a feeling of progression, both with you understanding more of the gears of the world, as well as earning more equipment that carries over into each new loop. I end up feeling like I'm playing 47 as this really droll time traveler--hell, sometimes the dialogue sounds like it could support that absurd interpretation, with his morbid one-liners and always having the right thing to say no matter who he talks to or about what subject. It's like a big, murderous Groundhog Day (in this analogy, Diana is Punxsutawney Phil).

So yeah, Hitman is great and there's nothing else I know of that compares to it.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean most of the people you have killed over the years in the hitman games are pretty hosed up monsters of various sorts. i mean the most grey of them is a former gangster turned state who is trying to escape the life with his wife and kids and a lovely businessman who didn't build his park to code and is now the lap dog of some petty crime lord. the rest are either hosed up deviants, psycho reactionaries, criminals, or hosed up paul manafort type fixers.

Well except for that one non-campaign Mission in Sapienza where the whole reason we're killing the guy is that he's a bad director.

Plus, any non-Silent Assassin run is likely to include at least a few nonessential dead bodies, but I suppose you could excuse that by saying non-SA runs aren't canon. I'm sure none of us would count the Contracts and Escalations as part of the canon either, but at least in gameplay terms, 47 is just murdering ordinary people we don't know anything about in those.

Then again, maybe Escalations would be better off as canon, if only so I can have the image of someone paying 47 to dress up as a clown and hit people with a bat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xanderkish posted:

Then again, maybe Escalations would be better off as canon, if only so I can have the image of someone paying 47 to dress up as a clown and hit people with a bat.

I am now picturing the canon scenario of 47 doing every single escalation contract in Paris (as well the main mission assassinations) in a single afternoon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really enjoying Miami. It's kind of like Marrakesh in that there's two completely different worlds in one map but both parts are cool unlike Marrakesh. I'm also going to play through the Hitman 1 maps again because I don't think I ever did all the challenges. I was having fun in Paris calmly walking into the basement and shooting the security guys in the head and clearing the surveillance. It's a shame there's no mode that allows for going full Rambo because it seems like people who stream play it that way and then they get zero points.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 11, 2018

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

ZearothK posted:

I am now picturing the canon scenario of 47 doing every single escalation contract in Paris (as well the main mission assassinations) in a single afternoon.

After a tragic accident wherein Dalia Margolis fell on top of Viktor Novikov, a besuited man was seen entering an unmarked van several blocks away. Sources report that Corky the Clown was seen exiting the same van several minutes later.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's pretty much assumed canon that 47 always went Silent Assassin for all his contracts.

Absolution doesn't count.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
When I first started and played through the series a few years back I specifically made it my goal to SA every mission in every game (when possible), so I for one am in zero conflict with the canon.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to do Miami following "A perfect Machine" mission story. After I take out the mechanic and grab the key card and his uniform the 'lightbulb' will not switch from his body to the next step.

Anyone else come across the same?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm trying to do Miami following "A perfect Machine" mission story. After I take out the mechanic and grab the key card and his uniform the 'lightbulb' will not switch from his body to the next step.

Anyone else come across the same?

I have seen the lightbulb sometimes mysteriously vanish. It usually comes back if you follow another Mission Story and then switch back.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean most of the people you have killed over the years in the hitman games are pretty hosed up monsters of various sorts. i mean the most grey of them is a former gangster turned state who is trying to escape the life with his wife and kids and a lovely businessman who didn't build his park to code and is now the lap dog of some petty crime lord. the rest are either hosed up deviants, psycho reactionaries, criminals, or hosed up paul manafort type fixers.

Penelope Graves was a hard one. Through and through, a decent person who just wanted to do the right thing and we killed her anyway because we weren't on the same side yet. Also, that bird in Blood Money. 47 squished it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I loving love this game. *knock a guy out* "You're busted mister, stay right there" *stares* *snaps neck*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lareine posted:

Penelope Graves was a hard one. Through and through, a decent person who just wanted to do the right thing and we killed her anyway because we weren't on the same side yet. Also, that bird in Blood Money. 47 squished it.

yeah, she and weirdly enough the mossad Michael Myers dude arnt super evil. sean ross is dead eyed fanatic though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My favorite thing I discovered in Sgail is the Constant in a conversation with the coal baron dude telling the latter that he has unknowingly funded communism.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Arist posted:

My favorite thing I discovered in Sgail is the Constant in a conversation with the coal baron dude telling the latter that he has unknowingly funded communism.

Oh my god I must find this now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, she and weirdly enough the mossad Michael Myers dude arnt super evil. sean ross is dead eyed fanatic though.

I really like the differing personalities in the Colorado mission, Sean being a goddamn lunatic, Maya's strict and intense, Penny's trying to make friends but nobody cares, nobody trusts her, and she's too spergy anyway, and Ezra is... a pleasant guy who is happy to chat with the grunts, has patience with the fanboy who wants to learn from Senpai, and doesn't take particular pleasure in hurting people (As distinct from satisfaction in doing his work well).

But yeah, almost everyone 47 kills over the years is a piece of poo poo for one reason or another. I mean the targets in Curtains Down were implicated in pedophilic sex trafficking, you take out druglords and white supremacists and apocalyptic cultists, they games have been pretty careful to give a sense of, well, Malum Necessarium. Which makes sense, because part of the Hitman thing is that you're a super classy, super elite killer, not some grubby monster killing people over a dime bag. I'm perfectly happy to abandon all pretense of morality in the games but I can understand why IOI aren't.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Let's talk good unlocks.

The objectively best sniper rifle (Sieger 300 Ghost) can be unlocked by completing 3 levels of an escalation in Marrakesh, House Built on Sand, Cheveyo Calibration.

Other good, easy unlocks to prioritize: Lethal Syringe from Sapienza (lvl 2 mastery), and the Custom 5mm from Hokkaido (lvl5).

Disposable scrambler must be unlocked from Colorado's featured mission stories. Krugermeier is still rewarded at level 20 Bangkok and based off my look into mastery rewards it's still the only subsonic pistol :negative:. Maybe that tranq pistol in Vermont will be good.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

f#a# posted:

Lethal Syringe

Really? I never found a use for the syringes. They don't have any of the sneaky advantages of poisoning food, drink, or drugs, I get noticed if I use them, and if I'm in a situation where I wouldn't noticed with them I normally can just snap their neck or throw a screwdriver at them.

quote:

Maybe that tranq pistol in Vermont will be good.

Unfortunately, the Fun Gun is a lot less fun than the name would imply. It only has one or two shots when you get it, and since you normally can't get additional ammo for it in the field, it falls into the same boat as the syringe, where if you can use it, you probably have better alternatives.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I've never found a use for the syringes. When I first unlocked a syringe, I thought it would be super cool. I walked up to someone and syringed them. Everyone instantly knew I did it. How? How could they know that I just stuck someone with a small syringe? I have no idea what do with it. Any time you can use it, you can just as easily use a soda can for sedative, or a screwdriver for lethal.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arist posted:

That whole level is a solid satire of the rich who would fund crazy sci-fi poo poo to save themselves instead of just trying to make the world a better place.

Just beat the game by the way, it was really great. Now time to go back and go for the Mastery unlocks and the opportunities I didn't do.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xanderkish posted:

Really? I never found a use for the syringes. They don't have any of the sneaky advantages of poisoning food, drink, or drugs, I get noticed if I use them, and if I'm in a situation where I wouldn't noticed with them I normally can just snap their neck or throw a screwdriver at them.

If you have someone in a situation where you can sneak up behind them and kill him alone, the syringe is better than other options because, as a poison, you can just leave the body there without caring if it's found.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Just tested this: https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/7exyg9/mod_skip_intro_screen/

It appears the Skip Intro mod for 1 still works on 2.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The Syringes are a shame, because lightly poking them with a needle triggers more or less the same response as smashing their head in with a brick. I guess it's a little quieter, which is useful if you're trying to take out one of two guards close enough together that putting one in a chokehold would make enough noise to alert the other, but I don't want to use my single syringe on a guard, especially when I can usually just turn on a faucet nearby and draw one away. Honestly, if they just made it so that people wouldn't notice a syringe unless they were really close or your were literally stabbing it into their face, it could really add another dimension of possible kills. As is, it just takes up space on the gear selection screen.

Honestly, IOI could probably get some mileage out of streamlining the gear and weapon upgrades. At the end of Hitman Season 1, I had around 5 or 6 sniper rifles, and I only ever used one of them, with maybe a second one possibly useful for more gimmicky things like the Patient Zero Colorado mission. Pistols are a bit better, where you choose between the Krugermeier, the Silverballer, the Concealable 5mm, the Stryker, and the boring regular pistol, although there are still some redundant reskins in there.

The Assault Rifles, Shotguns, and SMGs are all the worst offenders, though. Maybe with a silenced SMG I can quietly take out a moving target, but the Assault Rifles and Shotguns I'm mostly not going to use because they don't work with most disguises, and if I'm in a situation where I need to use them, I've probably already killed someone with a similar weapon that I can take without using up space in my loadout. Which makes the variations in those weapons just not at all important. Differences in fire rate and stopping power don't matter much when every enemy is going to fall down in a second of sustained fire anyway, unless it's something hilarious like the Stryker where a single shot sends them hurtling through the air like a beach ball.

elf help book posted:

If you have someone in a situation where you can sneak up behind them and kill him alone, the syringe is better than other options because, as a poison, you can just leave the body there without caring if it's found.

I could see that being useful in professional and SA runs, although I still feel like if that's the situation, there's probably usually a bin nearby or a ledge or a Viktor Novikov I can drop them onto. But I could just be uncreative :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The syringes don't count as a body found? Because I poisoned someone with sedative in food and it said body found when he fell down.

Also, is anyone able to get to the achievements? Whenever I click to view them, it just takes me to my profile. Is it because the game isn't technically out yet?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:( The game keeps crashing when I try to put a bomb in Sierra's car.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So how many S1 escalations aren’t in the new game? I only got S1 a couple months ago and still have a ton of escalations I haven’t done. Would like to knock out the ones that aren’t in 2 while I’m waiting for non-gold versions to unlock so I can uninstall S1 with a clean conscience.

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000
The 5mm is no longer silenced. :(

I wish they would bring back weapon customization, instead of giving me 50 weapons I will never use.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pump-Action Gerbil posted:

The 5mm is no longer silenced. :(

I wish they would bring back weapon customization, instead of giving me 50 weapons I will never use.

On one hand, a silenced pistol that passed frisks was probably OP. On the other hand, given that you have to get a good chunk of mastery in some of the hardest missions in the game to unlock it, I'm not sure having an OP weapon is a bad thing.

Also, I love how every streamer or LPer wanting to sound hardcore complains about the mission stories/opporunities being too hand-holdy: Ignoring that a) You can set it to basically just tell you that there's a thing you can do and no more. and b) there's always other set-pieces you can do that aren't explicitly labelled. Miami The eye-drops and the satellite uplink methods are both basically as involved as other opportunities, but there's no waypointing.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 11, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Alright, here's a real one for H2. I was gonna do an earlier map but for some reason we ended up with this.

Crate Expectations (Sgail): 1-21-2394497-02

TARGETS: Four Custodians, all roughly in the same area.
COMPLICATIONS: No Disguise Changes, No Pacifications.

Contract contains no RNG except whatever's inherent to distractions now. The Old Axe is always in the same crate, as is the Circumcision Knife; only the crates in the main room on the first floor are randomized. I recommend having the Custodian start unlocked but I removed the disguise restriction so it can technically be done from no mastery.

Doctor Wars (Miami): 1-11-1592184-02

TARGETS: One doctor near the medical area at the track.
COMPLICATIONS: None.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 11, 2018

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Xanderkish posted:

The instant nature and completely silent nature of it, plus the lack of "Body Found" status means you can use it free-of-charge when a target is walking with bodyguards, or at least when their backs are turned. It's really great for crowded levels, I've found.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nakar, you make any targets to recreate your murder of Lord British with a canon from the Ultima VII LP?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

f#a# posted:

The instant nature and completely silent nature of it, plus the lack of "Body Found" status means you can use it free-of-charge when a target is walking with bodyguards, or at least when their backs are turned. It's really great for crowded levels, I've found.

I don't understand why using a syringe doesn't count as body found when someone randomly eating something that's poisoned does. Also, is this something new in Hitman 2? Because I used a syringe in Hitman 1 and everyone started screaming like I just hit the guy with a battle axe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand why using a syringe doesn't count as body found when someone randomly eating something that's poisoned does. Also, is this something new in Hitman 2? Because I used a syringe in Hitman 1 and everyone started screaming like I just hit the guy with a battle axe.

If someone dies from eating lethally poisoned food, it doesn't count as a body found.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

If someone dies from eating lethally poisoned food, it doesn't count as a body found.

I was just doing master difficulty in Paris and I got a body found after poisoning something.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You get the body found message but it doesn't count against you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Has anyone else noticed there’s an enforcer in Paris that sees through... the default tuxedo? He’s in the bar area.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

I was just doing master difficulty in Paris and I got a body found after poisoning something.

Keep an eye on the screen, after a few seconds it'll come up as "accidental/unseen kill" or something along those lines. They find the body, but they assume whoever it was.... just died :shrug:

The best is when the highly paid bodyguards apparently go,"Huh, there's a fire extinguisher missing from the wall in the next room, it somehow must have fallen off, rolled into this room and under the table, then blew up in my client's face. What bad luck for them!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
YOU CAN THROW A MINE AT SOMEONE'S HEAD?!

The second I find a prox mine, I'm trying one of those out, oh my god. I blew up Dalia and Victor by winging a mine at Victor's head instead of gently tossing one between them like I intended. Then I blew it up. It was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So, some hot new info on the new explosive types.

FLASH
  • Haven't studied this one in great detail but from what I can tell nobody can notice anything while they're blinded. They can't spot, can't find bodies, can't detect crimes, etc.
  • Doesn't last very long, but could be valuable sometimes.
RFID/EMP
  • Haven't unlocked these yet, don't know what they do.
  • RFID presumably can be keyed to a specific disguise type or something, perhaps?
  • No clue what EMP is useful for.
TRIPWIRE MINE
  • Does exactly what it says it does, amazing when placed in doorframe.
  • It's loud as all hell and the explosion is massive. Hilarious, but not subtle.
CONCUSSION
  • Concussion blasts, as advertised, knock people out, but they do much more than this.
  • They can damage things, including: Destroying cameras, destroying evidence recorders, detonating propane tanks (FEs are pointless as they do the same thing the concussion blast does), and blowing open doors. The radius for destroying a recorder or detonating propane is a bit small, but destroying cameras or breaching doors seems to have a wider radius. Sometimes a blasted camera isn't destroyed and just shuts down, it's very odd-looking. They don't seem to destroy cars and cannot drop the sign in Marrakesh (or at least I couldn't make them do so).
  • They have a weird hybrid sound profile: They're very loud, and can be heard from a long distance, but any obstruction appears to block their sound from carrying farther. For example, if you're in an empty closed-off room and breach a door to a second room which contains one guard, that guard will not react in any way. Anyone else outside the room you're in will also not react. Basically any barrier of any kind does this.
  • The Remote Concussion Duck can be picked up and carried by NPCs just like regular ducks, and detonated at will. Due to the aforementioned sound quirk, this could be legitimately useful for knocking a person out once they're alone in an enclosed space after letting them pick up the duck earlier on.
  • It is, in fact, possible to dunk somebody into water using a concussion blast, but it seems a bit random where they ragdoll and how far. Sometimes they get launched high but not far, sometimes the reverse. People seem to roughly be launched in the direction they're facing if they're holding the duck, and away from the duck if it's on the ground.
TASER
  • This might legitimately be the most broken thing in the game right now. I only have the proximity one unlocked at the moment but it alone is incredible.
  • Does basically nothing unless it's in a puddle of water, at which point any NPC that gets close enough dies to an electrocution accident. Depending on the sink, the taser can be placed such that civilian NPCs can't see it before it's too late. See below for an example in Sapienza.
  • More crucially, however, it auto-kills any guard who tries to pick it up. This is absurd. Not useful at all for the main missions obviously, but it's effectively a free kill on any guard target in contracts. They will find it, they will try to retrieve it, they will die, and it's an accident so it makes no difference if their body is found. Since the devices are weapons, civilians who see them will report them to the nearest guard. I shudder to think of the Rube Goldberg shenanigans that could be employed to get a guard you're never even near killed by a carefully-dropped Proximity Taser.

Midnight Voyager posted:

YOU CAN THROW A MINE AT SOMEONE'S HEAD?!

The second I find a prox mine, I'm trying one of those out, oh my god. I blew up Dalia and Victor by winging a mine at Victor's head instead of gently tossing one between them like I intended. Then I blew it up. It was beautiful.
Mines and grenades can be thrown to knock people out now, yes. Grenades will detonate shortly thereafter though.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 11, 2018