Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How so? Both in terms of it being half finished and resulting in bad gameplay?

Conceptually it's quite simple, people have feelings about each other, good feelings are good, bad feelings are bad, generally. People aggregate feelings based on interaction, sometimes determinisitcally (people think positively of people who rescue them) and sometimes randomly (people talk when in proximity and get either good or bad results) and past a certain point, the effect snowballs. People who like each other form relationships which are self reinforcing for the most part, people who dislike each other fight and that generally makes them dislike each other more.

The net effect is that your colonists will form compatabilities/incompatabilities over time and this may influence your decisions about how you manage their time and what risks you expose them to, in order to lessen the repetittiveness of activites. Your main fighter becomes less appealing if they form a relationship with your best crafter because if they die it might have an impact on other parts of your colony. It is essentially a dynamic form of the traits system, where traits make colonists more or less appealing. Relationships make colonists situationally more or less appealing and you don't know what you're going to get in advance. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do I make sure my place is nice and tidy because it really doesn't seem like anyone cares to clean but they ALL get very upset that it's not clean.

Like, "I am going to punch my neighbor because my room is dusty" upset.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

How do I make sure my place is nice and tidy because it really doesn't seem like anyone cares to clean but they ALL get very upset that it's not clean.

Like, "I am going to punch my neighbor because my room is dusty" upset.

Make cleaning a higher priority for someone. Otherwise, much like real life, people will just ignore it until someone goes apeshit and throws a punch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

How so? Both in terms of it being half finished and resulting in bad gameplay?
Well, it really ties into what I'd call Rimworld's biggest problem: the unpredictability. If there's one kind of common complaint I've run into over the last few days of reading about it, it's that people will often fail in ways they couldn't seen have coming and could have done nothing to prevent.

When people play a game, they want to be in control, though. Not necessarily in the sense of having control over everything, but at least in the "if had paid better attention, I could have seen this coming and prevented it" sense that, for example, draws people to games like Dark Souls and the better kind of roguelike: when you fail, there is a sense that you learned something, that next time you can do better.

Rimworld often lacks that sense of agency. Solar storms, flashstorms, plagues, whatever, it happens out of nothing and goes nowhere except the "game over" screen. At any point, you can just randomly get hosed over, no way out. The problem with the social behaviour is that it shares a lot of those flaws. You say people start liking or disliking each other. Sure, but based on what? Conversation bubbles will tell you what is supposedly going on between your pawn, but in practice, it seems like none of that even matters, or is even real except as a random, fluffy hull around the random flip of the coin it represents. And just like things can sometimes randomly go in your favour, sometimes, they randomly gently caress you over. And what you gonna do about it? The game sure won't tell you.

Ironically, maybe it's the scale that makes Dwarf Fortress work so much better. People, individually, can be confusing, but as a group/i], we all want the same things and we behave in familiar ways. The system of Rimworld [i]feels like it should be happening on that level. I suppose its biggest problem is that it doesn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, yes all of those things are challenges and outside the scope of your control. You can't control the weather, or enemies wanting to kill you, or whether people like each other. You can control other things such as colonist schedule, your defensive setup, your food stockpiles etc.

The game is based around you being in an environment that you initially have no control over, you start with very little in the wilderness, and you slowly establish control over parts of it in response to the things you can't control. You can't stop fights but you can keep people generally happy, you can't stop blights but you can overplant and space your fields. You can't stop raids but you can build defences.

That's... the essence of a game, really? You are presented with things you can control, and challenges you can't, you use the things you can control to overcome the things you can't.

Colonists having social elements is, like many things in the game, to make it less predictable. You can't count on things going perfectly and your colony is not a perfect machine. That's why you have individual control over pawns, really. Because rimworld has a lot of elements that require you to be effectively responsive, rather than just preventing them from happening. And at scale yes, you can trust that planting food will net you a harvest, but you can't trust how much you'll get and if you settle in a marginal region you might not get any at all unless you work fast to build grow rooms.

There are lots of things that give your colony a nudge in different directions, beneficial or harmful, and your first challenge is being able to respond to them in isolation. Your next challenge is what you do when everything goes wrong at once, and that's part of the fun.

It's also worth noting that unless they changed something, you don't get a game over screen, you get an everybody died screen, but your colony stays there and someone can move into it again later down the line. You also have the option of packing everyone up and moving with whatever you can carry and this is even one way of winning the game. The game doesn't force you to game over unless you want to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 11, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Baronjutter posted:

All mods should automatically be open source and open for anyone to pick up the torch for if abandoned or learn from or forked into a slightly different direction.

:emptyquote:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Cardiovorax posted:

You need people to actually quote his entire angry response rant here or something? 'cause I was quoting poo poo there. "Within 24 hours of poo poo blowing up" kinda ignores all the people who piped up about "yeah I commented on that/mailed the guy months before that and nothing happened" as soon as the boom happened.

Whatever, I know better than to argue with you about this kind of thing.

As in, people were making change requests for mechanics in the massive video game he was making and he didn't do it immediately?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm kind of starting to hate the cleaning mechanic. Apparently a dirty room is one of the worst things that can happen to a colonists room, but anyone assigned cleaning considers rooms the lowest possible priority to clean? Maybe clean the hospital instead of cleaning blood in random spots along my outer wall?

Is there a mod that lets you assign cleaning priorities? I really don't give a gently caress how much dirt is in my store room, but that is always immaculate. And to make this even more fun, I have two colonists sitting idle that have cleaning assigned. Directly next door to where they are idling are dirty loving rooms.

What am I missing? How do I get get my cleaners to actually clean without having to manually do it? That seems to be the only way I get clean rooms.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Make a second zone and put everything you want cleaned in it and restrict the cleaners to it.

A better, modded solution is still being updated with Cleaning Area so gotta wait for that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I eventually gave up on forcing cleaning and installed the cleaning robots and Rain Washes Away Filth mods.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

I eventually gave up on forcing cleaning and installed the cleaning robots and Rain Washes Away Filth mods.

That latter mod would be great with a change to cleaning AI that means they'll only clean areas under a roof. Yeah, that still leaves them sweeping out the corpse locker, but that is a much smaller space than trawling the entire home area to discover and scrub the outer walls of whatever got pasted to it in the last fight.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Rynoto posted:

Make a second zone and put everything you want cleaned in it and restrict the cleaners to it.

A better, modded solution is still being updated with Cleaning Area so gotta wait for that.

Doesn't that mean my cleaners would be forever trapped in that area?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just have two full time janitors. Solves the problem.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
Its About Ethics in Video Game Romance Subsystems

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ah good let's see if there are any new mods in the forums...

:nms:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46740.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46619.0
:nms:

RimJob World ain't enough for you?!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

gently caress all involved in those posts.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, just wow. This thread and the ludeon forums are the gifts that keep on giving.

Tynan is not evil, he just had some ideas that are somewhat wrong, some ideas that are very wrong, and none ideas that are malicious. Stop making him out to be the new e-hitler, and stop complaining about the game in regards to things mostly external to it, though they do relate internally to a small degree.

We're here to talk about the game we like playing, and things related to it goods or bad, not post up a storm about things tangentially related to it like political/ethics subjects such as feminism and gamersgate. We've done Witch Hunt like 3 times now, I think it's easiest to just link people to those posts whenever context need be given in relation to them.

Please proceed to post your squirrels eating balls stories immediately, and complaining why you you hate the completely justified balance that is insects for dorf fort bases.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Additional post because gently caress those ludeon forums dudes completely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's really weird that there's this subset of people who want to play rimworld as some kind of weird fetish simulator rather than a hilarious IP car crash that it can easily become with modding.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's a significant section of the Rimworld community that is seriously deranged. No joke, they're hosed up people and I hate that the community enables them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I want nothing but the most realistic realism simulator of the real world in my game about fully bionic people riding fully bionic dinosaurs while wielding a lightsaber in one hand and a nuclear rocket launcher in the other.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rynoto posted:

I want nothing but the most realistic realism simulator of the real world in my game about fully bionic people riding fully bionic dinosaurs while wielding a lightsaber in one hand and a nuclear rocket launcher in the other.

While battling against the horrors of Lovecraft and The Brotherhood of Nod.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Welp, thanks to the woo hoo mod, im finding im releasing prisoners neutered when i can, if i dont want to recruit them. If they get off the map, i still get a relations bump.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Birds And The Bees allows that and is probably fleshed out a bit better (e.g. neutering prisoners is Not Cool for non psychopath colonists) just fyi

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751049133

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I don't feel good about having those people as my neighbors...

If you want to outfit your colony in human leather jackets, at least have the guts to gather the ingredients yourselves, drat it! Stop trying to outsource your atrocities to me! :nono:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hello everybody, I just started playing Rimworld and I have to say this game is really fantastic! I was looking to get into the mods, but apparently this game has had a rather large modding community for a while and there are approximately 50,000 mods out there. Are there any good curated mod packs? Sorting out which mods are good would take a long time, and honestly I prefer to not know what mods I have installed(so I can discover them as I am playing)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The best part is when you already have all that on hand.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you sort w/ version 1.0 and most subscribed you'll get like 4-5 pages of mods that you probably want to have, or at least to look at.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There's a significant section of the Rimworld community that is seriously deranged. No joke, they're hosed up people and I hate that the community enables them.

Well if we were talking about linking to something offsite or integrating with something non-Rimworld, you could make an atrocity mod that pinged local law enforcement/the FBI. :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vasudus posted:

If you sort w/ version 1.0 and most subscribed you'll get like 4-5 pages of mods that you probably want to have, or at least to look at.

That's what I've been doing, but I figured I would ask. A lot of the mod authors have "mod pack permission" clauses in their forums posts so I figured some packs might exist (like Minecraft).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Baronjutter posted:

All mods should automatically be open source and open for anyone to pick up the torch for if abandoned or learn from or forked into a slightly different direction.
If they are hosted on github free tier I'm pretty sure they have to be open source.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rimworld mods are functionally open source. They’re not packaged or anything, you can see the source code in your mod folder.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The ones with lots of furniture are the best.

Also RimHUD, I can't play without it anymore.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Vengarr posted:

Rimworld mods are functionally open source. They’re not packaged or anything, you can see the source code in your mod folder.
Sure, but the question is one of licensing rather than effort required. Forking someone's code without their permission is part of the open source definition.

A side effect of hosting on github is you can't stop others from copying your project even if you change your mind, legally or practically. If you want to make a mod that has a restrictive license, then you can't host it on public github.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah that's not what "open source" means at all, lol

"I found this song/picture/movie on the internet, means it's legal to copy it" c'mon guys, y'all should know better than this.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's a loving mod. There's no license involved at any point. You're not going to get sued if you copy, edit, or re-release someone's mod. You won't even have it taken off the Workshop. The original author can whine and pitch a fit, but that's all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think mod authors have any moral right to copy protection of their work. You are building on someone else game to begin with; you are obligated to give others the same freedom. If someone forks your mod without permission and you throw a fit I'll cheer and re-host it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's really easy to steal stuff so, it's completely ok :shrug:

Rutibex posted:

I don't think mod authors have any moral right to copy protection of their work. You are building on someone else game to begin with; you are obligated to give others the same freedom. If someone forks your mod without permission and you throw a fit I'll cheer and re-host it.

an argument could be made that Tynan might have that kind of right, since in this case the mod derives from his work, but not you lol

Anyhow I just fought an infestation and ended up with about 6 "wild" megaspiders that might be possible to tame :stare:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You actively forfeit your right to profit or control your mod when you submit it to the workshop. It's in the TOS.

And twenty years of precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Flesh Forge posted:

Birds And The Bees allows that and is probably fleshed out a bit better (e.g. neutering prisoners is Not Cool for non psychopath colonists) just fyi

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751049133

Had my mods mixed up, Birds and Bees is the one I'm using. Doing so to criminals is a just punishment :v:

Flesh Forge posted:

It's really easy to steal stuff so, it's completely ok :shrug:

an argument could be made that Tynan might have that kind of right, since in this case the mod derives from his work, but not you lol

Anyhow I just fought an infestation and ended up with about 6 "wild" megaspiders that might be possible to tame :stare:

I noticed the bugs that i had downed but not killed had the tame option, but didnt want to risk them waking up in my pet hospital. did taming them work?

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 11, 2018