Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

polyester concept posted:

crosspost from yospos

Not a garbage can, but it belongs in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Only put audiophile-grade garbage in this speaker.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

polyester concept posted:

crosspost from yospos

pff. I beg to differ. The badge says so

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
A real w-bin has ways of ejecting rubbish thrown into it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's a photoshop, I can tell from the pixels.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend asked for somewhere to shop for some kit for his dad's setup, his dad just wants to plug his turntable in to listen to some vinyl. I pointed him in the direction of Richersounds which is a UK company selling decently priced kit from first hi-fi upwards and said don't worry about amp quality, don't worry about speaker cables or interconnects and that the speaker he buys would make the most difference to the sound.

Instantly some goober starts furiously tapping away at his keyboard saying that I'd obviously never dealt with 'real' hi-fi and that I didn't know what I was talking about. He tried arguing that vinyl was the best medium for music possible, followed closely by 24bit 192khz hi res audio. So I listed half a dozen technical reasons why he was wrong about his belief in vinyl. I'm yet to have a reply back. It's been 24 hours and I'm sad. He clearly reads too much 'What Hi-Fi' but doesn't actually know gently caress all about the formats he chats about. Why are audiophiles such dickheads because they've spunked a few quid on kit?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why are audiophiles such dickheads because they've spunked a few quid on kit?

Same reason this sub is known as 'Defend Your Purchase'. They have to convince themselves they haven't just thrown away a ton of money and ohhh yeah I can hear the difference now they've been warmed in etc.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm also sure a large part is performative snobbery. Most of the committed audiophiles I've known have also had several additional consumerist avenues where they have exceptionally specific, belaboured and distinct tastes - wine, coffee, cigars, cars, etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Flawless logic.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ynohtna posted:

I'm also sure a large part is performative snobbery. Most of the committed audiophiles I've known have also had several additional consumerist avenues where they have exceptionally specific, belaboured and distinct tastes - wine, coffee, cigars, cars, etc.
There's literally a thread on avs where people post what they're listening to and what they're drinking at that moment. It's all jazz and '70s rock and whiskey.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No "grindcore on a Bluetooth speaker and bud lite" trolls?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Flawless logic.

Patently unassailable

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
What's the opposite to being an elitist based on amount of money spent? Because that's the snobbery I perform.

Half my kit has been literally salavaged from garbage dumps.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

What's the opposite to being an elitist based on amount of money spent? Because that's the snobbery I perform.

Pfft. loving Millenials killing audiophiles now

Wait

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pride of the Tinker. :yeah:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

A friend of a friend recently posted on FB that they've bought a Plinius 8150 amplifier. Not being familiar with that I Googled it and first thing I found was a $3,395 price tag. Then I found this article: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-plinius-8150-integrated-amplifier-2016-07-12-integrateds-94107-san-francisco-ca

quote:

There's an inevitable sense of rightness to the sound of the 8150. It is truly an amplifier that has it all. Tonal purity, harmonics, detail and dynamics were all there.

The Plinius has a tremendous sense of solidity to its sound. A strong and vibrant midrange and bass contribute to this solidity. Many amplifiers sound slightly undernourished (this is more a midrange phenomena than bass) whereas the Plinius replicates the robust nature of live sound.

I've always been a bit of a bass freak -- not in terms of wanting lots of bass or deep bass, but wanting the clarity of bass instruments that I hear in concerts but very rarely with recorded sound. The bass response of the Plinius is phenomenal, with a delicious combination of power, heft, dynamics and articulation.

I'm not sure if I have the heart to tell him that he's purchased a pile of trash. Also when I asked about price in comments he dodged the question because I think he's trying to hide that from his missus.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's always better to know you hosed up so you don't do it again

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have some kit hoarded that's been rescued from various places, audio gear is a really weird world considering the tech really hasn't changed much over the years, particularly speakers. People who feel the need to upgrade every couple of years are odd but if they want to go at it and sell/donate perfectly fine gear then great, you do you.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

A friend of a friend recently posted on FB that they've bought a Plinius 8150 amplifier. Not being familiar with that I Googled it and first thing I found was a $3,395 price tag. Then I found this article: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-plinius-8150-integrated-amplifier-2016-07-12-integrateds-94107-san-francisco-ca

I'm not sure if I have the heart to tell him that he's purchased a pile of trash. Also when I asked about price in comments he dodged the question because I think he's trying to hide that from his missus.

Man, an amp that adds emphasis to midrange and bass is................ not a remotely accurate amp. $3395 to have unwanted EQ added to your music.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Well at least they aren't spending $$$ on horses

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Poor old freckles, thought of ants and died

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Poor old freckles, thought of amps and died

Fixed.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

:hmmyes:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pile Of Garbage posted:

The Plinius amps are amazingly nice, well-built amplifiers, and you're just butthurt you can't afford one.

(I do agree they're overpriced though)

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 11, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

The Plinius amps are amazingly nice, well-built amplifiers, and you're just butthurt you can't afford one.

(I do agree they're overpriced though)

Nice brand tribalism buddy.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Nice brand tribalism buddy.

I don't own one. I have listened to most of their current lineup though. Most recently it was their Reference A-300 paired with KEF Blade 2s, that setup was incredible.

Here is an SA-103 I listened to on Blade 2's

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 11, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You don't listen to amps.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

KozmoNaut posted:

You don't listen to amps.

Oh right, yeah, I forgot all amps sound the same. :jerkbag:

So which is it, the Plinius amps are garbage or all amps sound the same?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
All properly built amps sound the same and anything else is wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Brain Issues posted:

So which is it, the Plinius amps are garbage or all amps sound the same?

:lol::lol:

If your amp is doing anything other than just, you know, amplifying the signal source you have a poo poo amp

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Apparently we don't need to go to any external forums or websites to ridicule audiophiles.

They're in this thread.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

D1E posted:

Apparently we don't need to go to any external forums or websites to ridicule audiophiles.

They're in this thread.

I'm simply playing devils advocate.

My own system is not over the top and pretty value-oriented (KEF R300, Polk PSW505 subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR737 receiver, Project Debut Carbon).

However, "Pile of Garbage" was calling the Plinius amp garbage because one guy (who was trying to sell his, nonetheless) claims it accentuated bass and adds "fullness" or whatever the gently caress, with no measurements performed or anything, just purely anecdotal evidence.

Look at measurements for the Plinius amps that have been done by Stereophile and you'll find they've measured quite well.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I’ve just finished setting up a ‘listening cafe’ that has £32,000 of PMC MB2 SE and a Bryston 4B amp. They held back on the £5k of Chord cables so we used some nice looking UK made bulk ones, I might have made up the name of the manufacturer and price when asked by the DJ and visitors where they’re from..

Also, this is gold https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyWt3kANA3Q

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Neurophonic posted:

I’ve just finished setting up a ‘listening cafe’ that has £32,000 of PMC MB2 SE and a Bryston 4B amp. They held back on the £5k of Chord cables so we used some nice looking UK made bulk ones, I might have made up the name of the manufacturer and price when asked by the DJ and visitors where they’re from..

Also, this is gold https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyWt3kANA3Q

:discourse:

Care to share the name/location of the cafe?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brain Issues posted:

Good luck with this, people who have never heard anything other than a $15 t-amp from eBay hooked up to musty garage sale 70s speakers via coathangers love to post here about how anything more expensive is cable crystals-level snake oil.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

lmao what

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Good luck with this, people who have never heard anything other than a $15 t-amp from eBay hooked up to musty garage sale 70s speakers via coathangers love to post here about how anything more expensive is cable crystals-level snake oil.

I think the argument is more that beyond a certain price point it's all snake oil because the amp is effectively perfectly transparent.

I don't know what amps they use in high end recording studios for monitoring, but I'd say spending much more money than they do (when the quality of their product literally depends on the quality of the sound coming out of the amp) is going to be a waste.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 11, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yes. There is a limit to human perception, and it's far, far crappier than you think.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Based on that link the top end amp (benchmark AHB2) retails for $3k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brain Issues posted:

I'm simply playing devils advocate.

You're so bad at it you should be disbarred.