Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Here's a neat little oneshot about the bond that can form over hate-eating your way through a restaurant's menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
New Kumika! https://mangadex.org/chapter/460977/1

Also, holy poo poo thank god the Nobu anime is done and gone with and can't do any more damage to the brand.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 9, 2018

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Brought To You By posted:

Here's a neat little oneshot about the bond that can form over hate-eating your way through a restaurant's menu.

Very cute. I want udon now.

Randomly, I'm pre-mourning the fact that the raspberry+rhubarb+vanilla bean jam that my great uncle gifted me when I was in Australia is gonna be gone in less than a month because that is some goddamn good jam. I'm trying to look up what might be similar/fill the void, gtfo smuckers

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Idk if anyone caught this, but here's a Maiko-san from two days ago. It's very cute.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It was :3:

This isn't manga or anime but it looks nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joHJKFC77ic

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Maiko-san
Happy Birthday Kiyo. :toot:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A oneshot called Love Diner, referral from the romance thread.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

New Delicious in Dungeon is so good

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New Isekai sisters, where Titania finally gets her reward. And makes a new friend!

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Augh, that dryad's still adorable. :kimchi: And I love that little detail of her apparently drinking using one of her fingers/roots, if I'm seeing that right.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That was my take, too, so I think it's accurate.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Isekai Sisters started off kind of standard, but the artist is really showing off their chops by showing the magical creatures in this world and just hanging out with them. It's good.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Izakaya Nobu
The chef is paid a visit by his old mentor.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Maiko-san
Its Mothers Day and of course the girls are gonna get Mother something, but what?
When you're at the store, don't get that Average Milk and certainly ignore that Bad Milk, buy Good Milk™

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

>:-)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
ӿ Planning for their mother's
birthday present fills them with
Determination.

(Seriously, look at those faces. I love them :3:)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New Kumika, with (a little) color!

Also, more confused Kumika.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New girl has already earned her spot by getting Kumika to get this romance really underway.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Very good faces this chapter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
An unexpected reminder today, when Samenai Machi popped up to the top of Mangadex's recently updated list. No new English chapters, though, is it kill?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Isekai Sisters
Akane gets an unexpected visitor for drinks. And maybe has a dark premonition

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
No lie, Isekai Sisters is one of my favorite manga right now and it's not even like spectacular

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Maiko-san
last chapter the girls got something for their house mother, but what about their real mothers back home?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I remember watching a the TabiEats Youtube channel and the dudes mentioned in their cake video after they an apple pie sort of pastry that Japanese apple pies don't have cinnamon which really took me aback because when I think apple pie, you think cinnamon and nutmeg. I doublechecked and went to this other Japanese channel I follow that did some cooking and his recipe did not have any spices, just sugar, lemon juice, and a homemade pie crust.

I wonder if it's a taste thing

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Compendium posted:

I remember watching a the TabiEats Youtube channel and the dudes mentioned in their cake video after they an apple pie sort of pastry that Japanese apple pies don't have cinnamon which really took me aback because when I think apple pie, you think cinnamon and nutmeg. I doublechecked and went to this other Japanese channel I follow that did some cooking and his recipe did not have any spices, just sugar, lemon juice, and a homemade pie crust.

Sometimes

Foods in different places

Are prepared differently?!?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I heard that American pancakes don't have green onions which really took me aback because when you think pancakes, you think green onions and black pepper. I doublechecked and went to this other American channel I follow that did some cooking and his recipe did not have any green onions, just sugar, blueberries, and a homemade batter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
On the one hand, I do sound stupid so I'll give you that, but on the other hand responding like an rear end in a top hat isn't helping your case either. The preparation I was curious about is literally a small discrepancy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xun posted:

I heard that American pancakes don't have green onions which really took me aback because when you think pancakes, you think green onions and black pepper. I doublechecked and went to this other American channel I follow that did some cooking and his recipe did not have any green onions, just sugar, blueberries, and a homemade batter.

See, now I'm confused why you'd put onions and peppers in your pancakes if they aren't potato pancakes. What country has the norm of mixing onions with the batter?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
China and Korea, have scallion pancakes. There's also seafood pancakes and other savory pancakes of that sort, but the batter isn't a fluffy cake like type you have with the savory-sweet versions you'd have for breakfast.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
There are definitely savoury pancakes that are soft and fluffy on the inside, but if you're talking specifically about sweet ones in what culture do people have sweets for breakfast???

Like that's the first genuinely confusing thing to come up in this conversation

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Have you ever had American cereal, that's basically sugar in a bowl

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Compendium posted:

On the one hand, I do sound stupid so I'll give you that, but on the other hand responding like an rear end in a top hat isn't helping your case either. The preparation I was curious about is literally a small discrepancy.

Are you aware of what kind of connotations discrepancy has? What kind of response are you expecting from a post where you are extremely confused about a minor difference in a dish prepared in different cultures? Was I supposed to respond "well the Japanese have a delicate pallet...."

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
"Why isn't there cinnamon or nutmeg in Japanese apple pies? Is it not widely available or you can't normally find it there? Is it just not popular? Is it more expensive for that part of the world to procure cinnamon? How did that recipe without that ingredient develop???"

If you're saying I have worse connotations in my original post, sure, again I own up to the fact that my post doesn't sound great, but you're also being a dick.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 11, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Honestly I just really want to try that anko-custard-apple pie. It sounds kind of amazing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Agreed. It's been a while since I've had any pie in general so looking forward to the Thanksgiving gorge fest here

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Waci posted:

There are definitely savoury pancakes that are soft and fluffy on the inside, but if you're talking specifically about sweet ones in what culture do people have sweets for breakfast???

Like that's the first genuinely confusing thing to come up in this conversation

Are we counting things like danishes, doughnuts, and other pastries or baked goods as sweets?

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 11, 2018

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Brought To You By posted:

Are we counting things like danishes, doughnuts, and other pastries or baked goods as sweets?

Sweet pastries count as sweet?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Compendium posted:

"Why isn't there cinnamon or nutmeg in Japanese apple pies? Is it not widely available or you can't normally find it there? Is it just not popular? Is it more expensive for that part of the world to procure cinnamon? How did that recipe without that ingredient develop???"

If you're saying I have worse connotations in my original post, sure, again I own up to the fact that my post doesn't sound great, but you're also being a dick.

So....the reasons you were thinking of that a culture doesn't make something the american way is because they literally cant'? :hmmyes: My god dude I wouldn't be being such a dick if you didn't keep saying this kind of poo poo. The weirdness is that you think regional differences in food preparation is some sort of limitation or just straight up incorrect because it isn't american is loving gross. Think about your assumptions for like 5 seconds before posting next time because goddamn the ethnocentrism is strong in you.

And please consider the fact that japan has, in living memory, temporarily conquered the place where cinnamon comes from.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You are extremely angry about a very innocuous comment my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Xun posted:

So....the reasons you were thinking of that a culture doesn't make something the american way is because they literally cant'? :hmmyes: My god dude I wouldn't be being such a dick if you didn't keep saying this kind of poo poo. The weirdness is that you think regional differences in food preparation is some sort of limitation or just straight up incorrect because it isn't american is loving gross. Think about your assumptions for like 5 seconds before posting next time because goddamn the ethnocentrism is strong in you.

And please consider the fact that japan has, in living memory, temporarily conquered the place where cinnamon comes from.

The question I'm presenting is literally just, "Why no cinnamon," and you're just being weird and angry.

Example of a disagreement that doesn't make you look weird: "Yo, I think you worded your question weirdly and the connotations are bad, what are you really asking???"