Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Roblo posted:

Friend of mine works at a jewelers and we're planning to make some beads to fleece EDC people. They're like nerds, big disposable income, it seems.

The Venn diagram of EDC dorks and nerds is a circle.

Just make a bunch of vaguely rectangular pieces of sheet metal, paint them black and call it the Mk3000 Omni-Stealth Tactical SpecOps Assault Multitool and they'll throw their money at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"No, it's a spudger. It spudges."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I have really tiny and mostly useless tweezers as part of a tiny and collectively useful travel sewing kit I carry in my massive purse. Maybe these guys and their functional pockets need sewing kits instead. Or maybe if I could cram a crank flashlight and a flint into a sewing kit....

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I miss the good ol' Rambo knife that was all the rage in the 80s. A complete survival kit in the handle of a nice big knife.

Also, I can guarantee that nobody in the EDC crowd would even begin to know what to do with a sewing kit.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

If your tweezers dont have the little led light, they're useless.
And you keep them in the top drawer of your toolchest at your welding job so you can yank the inevitable steel splinters out of your hands and fingers (and on rare occasion, that new hire's loving eyeball) cuz that one coworker is just too god drat stupid to get even passably decent at using an angle grinder.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's real cool how in the thread making fun of EDC nerds a bunch of goons come kramering in all "even though my pants are filled with metal and sharpened sticks I'm one of the good ones!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had a little trouble figuring it out, but I confirmed that yes, combat beads do absolutely nothing. There's a suggestion that you can put them on a lanyard to make it easier to grab out of your pocket, but it's basically just decoration. Like hanging charms from your phone in 2005.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

chitoryu12 posted:

I had a little trouble figuring it out, but I confirmed that yes, combat beads do absolutely nothing. There's a suggestion that you can put them on a lanyard to make it easier to grab out of your pocket, but it's basically just decoration. Like hanging charms from your phone in 2005.

Damnit, I wanted to see youtubes of dorks killing watermelons with those little nubs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

evobatman posted:

I miss the good ol' Rambo knife that was all the rage in the 80s. A complete survival kit in the handle of a nice big knife.

That approach to EDC was mercilessly dunked on in a codec call in Metal Gear Solid 3.

https://youtu.be/7Q3jgrPuzX0

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Biplane posted:

It's real cool how in the thread making fun of EDC nerds a bunch of goons come kramering in all "even though my pants are filled with metal and sharpened sticks I'm one of the good ones!"

Tell us your thoughts on sportsball and religion now.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Tell us your thoughts on sportsball and religion now.

drat... this is how it feels like to be owned

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
If you spend time in tall grass for whatever reason it's nice to have tweezers ready to pull the ticks off. Definitely not an EDC item unless you're ranch hand or something though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

autism ZX spectrum posted:

If you spend time in tall grass for whatever reason it's nice to have tweezers ready to pull the ticks off. Definitely not an EDC item unless you're ranch hand or something though.

I work in a lab and use anywhere between 2 and 4 different pairs of forceps on the daily and the idea of carrying them around with me sounds like a big pain in the rear end. I definitely get for a ranch hand though, hadn't considered that. They're nice for getting cactus spines out too, maybe I should get a pair for my field kit.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Some preppers WIP* bug out bag for the apocalypse

*they're buying more machetes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Some lucky raider's gonna hit the jackpot in the first five minutes of the apocalypse

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

That's...that's two bags. And two rifles.

And a third thing that looks like another bag? And a hydration pack?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

evobatman posted:

Oh they're still common enough, it's just that most people who buy knives have learned that the knife blade will snap off if you try using it as a knife because they're generally just a knife blade attached to the end of a tube with a bolt. Nowadays the popular ones are either large and expensive Rambo knives that tout how TOUGH they are because they're made out of 3/4 inch thick tool steel, or small fixed blade "bushcraft" knives because people started buying those Swedish ones with the red handle for $10 and knife makers realized they could get in on that too.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Wow only two guns and neither of them is a AR15 or handgun? They better turn in their PREPPER CARD.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

No toilet paper.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I like the survival guide. Sure, having a reference book on hand could be handy in any sort of survival scenario, but in this case it's most certainly there because the guy hasn't bothered to even read it once, let alone memorize the important bits. Also all the machetes and knives and crap and not very many actually essential things like, idk, water.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The compass and whatever fire starter things those are, still wrapped in plastic and entirely unused, fill me with confidence.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Why the tweezers? Does their unibrow grow that quickly that they need to pluck on the go?

Tick tweezers would be useful but those aren't them.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Where's the baby stroller to cart all that around?

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Nov 11, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that walmart tent in there. Those things are bulky and leak like sieves unless you tarp them over. Definitely my first choice for an apocalypse kit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
No way to purify water or store it except for the little hydration pack too and no way to resharpen those seven different knives
Just post the link of where you found it because we deserve to see all the poo poo he’s getting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh wait what about ammunition for his two guns?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh wait what about ammunition for his two guns?

He doesnt need extra because he will get a headshot with every round

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sniper Party posted:

The compass and whatever fire starter things those are, still wrapped in plastic and entirely unused, fill me with confidence.

Wouldn't you want to test the products in your Mad Max cosplay bag before putting them in?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
This seems to be the place it started from .

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
The box that says "Hiker Pro" is a water filter thingy.

Make that TWO boxes that say Hiker Pro. His propensity for multiples makes me think this is a pic from his "let's make bug out bags for everyone" party. Which is why everything is still in the original packaging, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK I'm about 100% that's about one car-load more than the SAS would pack.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

queserasera posted:

Wouldn't you want to test the products in your Mad Max cosplay bag before putting them in?

I bought that fire starter for one of my very first camping trips because it was the absolute cheapest and I can attest it sucks poo poo because it’s so small and the included striking rod is too awkward to use but I guess it’s a moot point since he can just use one of his seven knives to create sparks
Also that compass looks like it’ll bottom down just from existing

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

The box that says "Hiker Pro" is a water filter thingy.

Make that TWO boxes that say Hiker Pro. His propensity for multiples makes me think this is a pic from his "let's make bug out bags for everyone" party. Which is why everything is still in the original packaging, too.

It's a setup for 2 people from what I can tell. There are two full sized backpacks in the second shot of the gear. Having one each is probably the least stupid idea in this whole kit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Have you ever seen anyone include a set of spare batteries in any of these kits?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The dumbest thing about preppers is that they want to survive the zombie apocalypse or nuclear winter or whatever. Sign me up for a seat in the "it was an average ride, at best" car heading to the afterlife.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The dumbest thing about preppers is that they want to survive the zombie apocalypse or nuclear winter or whatever. Sign me up for a seat in the "it was an average ride, at best" car heading to the afterlife.

They want to shoot black people. It's not the surviving thing they care about at all.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Like i said. Sign me up for the "not surviving Skynet's bullshit." :(

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

queserasera posted:

Well, yeah? That's why it's funny his poo poo is still unopened and the only practice he's probably got for using that compass is maybe reading about it. His plan for the apocalypse is gleefully sitting down somewhere and finally opening that book to see what's up, surrounded by a wall of weapons and a first aid kit that barely has room for like five bandages and a piece of gauze.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I'm not going to make it, but I'll at least leave an interesting loot cache and skeleton.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The "I'm Going to Shoot Up a Yoga Studio" starter kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What is that tactical strap in the lower left?

• Locked thread