Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’ve been thinking about upgrading to an Xbox One X, but it won’t do me much good until I upgrade my TV as well (32" 1080p LG). Costco has the 55" TCL S423 for $330 right now - would that be worth it if I’m okay with “good enough”? Or does the poor brightness, middling color gamut, and lack of local dimming make it not really “good enough” for HDR content? I mostly play in a dim-but-not-completely-dark room, if that matters.

Rtings did put the TCL S series on their Best 4K HDR Gaming TVs list - at the bottom, sure, but it’s on there. I know TCL 6 series is a go-to budget pick, but it’s still twice as much money. Not sure I can do that and a new console at the same time, unless a particularly good Black Friday deal appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

comper posted:

Congrats! The built in apps are also nice because they let you use Dolby Vision where available without any hassle.

I’d definitely recommend choosing an ISF picture mode and adjusting your settings from there, and save game mode for games, though.

I finally had time to switch the TV to ISF. Is there anything else I should do to get HDR? I'm guessing the TV detects an HDR source and simply adjusts accordingly?

Also I am using hdmi cables from 6 years ago and an hdmi switch from 2010, does any of that matter?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 11, 2018

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

runchild posted:

I’ve been thinking about upgrading to an Xbox One X, but it won’t do me much good until I upgrade my TV as well (32" 1080p LG). Costco has the 55" TCL S423 for $330 right now - would that be worth it if I’m okay with “good enough”? Or does the poor brightness, middling color gamut, and lack of local dimming make it not really “good enough” for HDR content? I mostly play in a dim-but-not-completely-dark room, if that matters.

Rtings did put the TCL S series on their Best 4K HDR Gaming TVs list - at the bottom, sure, but it’s on there. I know TCL 6 series is a go-to budget pick, but it’s still twice as much money. Not sure I can do that and a new console at the same time, unless a particularly good Black Friday deal appears.

I've been researching a lot to find out sort of the same thing. From what I gather the Vizio e series is a bit better, and is probably on sale somewhere for black friday. I'm trying to choose between an e series and an M series myself. Check out slickdeals and the black Friday websites for some good leads.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
If I want a TV just for 4K HDR movies is there any reason to go higher than a LG C7?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I finally had time to switch the TV to ISF. Is there anything else I should do to get HDR? I'm guessing the TV detects an HDR source and simply adjusts accordingly?

Also I am using hdmi cables from 6 years ago and an hdmi switch from 2010, does any of that matter?

The built in apps will auto switch to HDR and so will any compatible inputs. I don’t believe the cables should matter as long as they aren’t subpar specced, really long cables. If you want newer ones, any cheap amazon basics cables or monoprice will do the trick.

I’m not familiar with hdmi switches but that’s probably where you’d run into issues within your setup if they can’t handle the HDR signal from the output device. If they’re anything like a receiver that handles the transmission then you’ll need one that supports 4K/HDR.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

comper posted:

The built in apps will auto switch to HDR and so will any compatible inputs. I don’t believe the cables should matter as long as they aren’t subpar specced, really long cables. If you want newer ones, any cheap amazon basics cables or monoprice will do the trick.

I’m not familiar with hdmi switches but that’s probably where you’d run into issues within your setup if they can’t handle the HDR signal from the output device. If they’re anything like a receiver that handles the transmission then you’ll need one that supports 4K/HDR.

Thank you! So if the switch or cable is not compatible I just won't get a picture? I figured it just wouldn't "allow" HDR mode or something

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's quite unfortuanate that as HDMI cables have advanced, the form factor of the cable hasn't changed at all so it's near impossible to know which type you have. You're correct that you'll get a picture but it won't carry 100% of what the source is sending, like HDR for example. I don't remember which version added an HDR capability or if they all have that, but I know there have been changes to HDMI cables since 2010 and you probably will notice a difference if you spend $15 on two at Amazon.

Not sure about the switch.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It’s important to note that as of right now there are zero cheap HDMI switches that fully and reliably support HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Plug your 4K sources into the TV directly.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qirex posted:

It’s important to note that as of right now there are zero cheap HDMI switches that fully and reliably support HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Plug your 4K sources into the TV directly.

Does ARC work properly now? I’m one of those 2008 pany plasma w/ Denon receiver types and there basically isn’t a way to get audio from the TV back to the receiver.

I figure new TV time is also new receiver time here?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you! I don't mind buying new hdmi cables but having to buy a new hdmi switch when I have a spare, perfectly working one would be kind of annoying. Is there a test I can do to make sure I'm getting an HDR image? Before I buy a new one I mean?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does ARC work properly now? I’m one of those 2008 pany plasma w/ Denon receiver types and there basically isn’t a way to get audio from the TV back to the receiver.

I figure new TV time is also new receiver time here?
ARC works perfectly for me on an LG B6 and Denon 1911.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s new TV time in my house.

If I splash out for an LG C8 when they go on sale tomorrow do I need a speaker system with it? Are there built ins on the back or something?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Murgos posted:

If I splash out for an LG C8 when they go on sale tomorrow do I need a speaker system with it? Are there built ins on the back or something?

Don't use built-in TV speakers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Something Offal posted:

Don't use built-in TV speakers.

Qft
I'm in a pickle. I run everything into my NR676 and then on to my X850E. But I've labeled the input on the tv as set top box. There's also Xbox, Shield, and I want different picture settings, at the very least for the set top box which I'm usually only watching sports on. Should I just run it all into the tv and let arc handle the audio? Can/will it?

Also, I got the tv as an open box and maybe I'm crazy but I feel I can see vertical bands in certain circumstances, particularly watching hockey for example, near all white screen. Haven't had gently caress all time to enjoy the thing but I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have a ps4 pro and a brand new Nvidia Shield TV. What is the easiest way to determine if I am getting HDR and 4k from the cable I am using?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Murgos posted:

Where are they going on sale?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

I have a ps4 pro and a brand new Nvidia Shield TV. What is the easiest way to determine if I am getting HDR and 4k from the cable I am using?
By looking at the picture?

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 13, 2018

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Sorry to ask again but I didn’t really get an answer. Is a TCL S Series in a dimly lit room gonna give you decent HDR, mediocre HDR, or doesn’t-technically-qualify-as-HDR?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

runchild posted:

Sorry to ask again but I didn’t really get an answer. Is a TCL S Series in a dimly lit room gonna give you decent HDR, mediocre HDR, or doesn’t-technically-qualify-as-HDR?

They have bad peak brightness according to rtings. And brightness is important to the quality of HDR

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

EC posted:

Where are they going on sale?

Today, discounted by $100!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
TCL 49S405 dropped to $299 on Amazon. Should I pull the trigger or wait for Black Friday deals? Just looking to replace the tiny 32” in the bedroom with something I can actually see.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Usually there's a setting on your TV remote to display the resolution and HDR status of whatever source you're watching. My Sony X900F does, but YMMV.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

qbert posted:

Usually there's a setting on your TV remote to display the resolution and HDR status of whatever source you're watching. My Sony X900F does, but YMMV.

I don't see that anywhere but my ps4 pro says this:

I changed every setting I could find and this is what it always says. It's a bit confusing. Does this mean HDR isn't working from what this screen says?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I don't see that anywhere but my ps4 pro says this:

I changed every setting I could find and this is what it always says. It's a bit confusing. Does this mean HDR isn't working from what this screen says?

I think for LG you have to enable HDR as a setting from the tv. I just googled this article, did you do this for your tv already?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/11/30/quick-tip-how-to-enable-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/#6bae9cbf6786

I would try plugging your PS4 Pro directly into your tv with the HDMI cable (instead of through the switch) just to see if that page you screenshotted changes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why is your TV outside near a slot machine?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
And you guys didn't listen to me when I told you he was a hosed up weirdo freak.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

codo27 posted:

:psyduck:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As someone with an outdoor TV, but no slot machine, I'm suitably jealous.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Haha it's a sunroom, and I have two arcade machines and a slot machine in there. Also a legit NYC payphone. I figured that was a more "social" room to have it in rather than the basement :shrug:

qbert posted:

I think for LG you have to enable HDR as a setting from the tv. I just googled this article, did you do this for your tv already?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/11/30/quick-tip-how-to-enable-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/#6bae9cbf6786

I would try plugging your PS4 Pro directly into your tv with the HDMI cable (instead of through the switch) just to see if that page you screenshotted changes.

In a hundred years I would not have guessed that. Thank you so much. I am guessing this means it's good to go?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

In a hundred years I would not have guessed that. Thank you so much. I am guessing this means it's good to go?

Yep, looks good. Next thing to do is to put on something that you know is outputting HDR and see if you can see an image difference with it turned on/off. Out of curiousity, was it the setting on the LG you needed to enable, or plugging the HDMI directly into the TV?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

qbert posted:

Yep, looks good. Next thing to do is to put on something that you know is outputting HDR and see if you can see an image difference with it turned on/off. Out of curiousity, was it the setting on the LG you needed to enable, or plugging the HDMI directly into the TV?

I got rid of the switch even before my post because my TV didn't detect it at all. So I've had the ps4 pro hooked up directly the entire time.

The issue was yeah I had to go into the settings menu and in each individual input I had to enable "high color range mode" or whatever wording it used instead of just HDR.

I ordered a new switch compatible with 4k. I'm kinda surprised mine didn't work at all but I did buy it a good decade ago so maybe it can't handle the bandwidth or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My LG puts up a thing on the screen stating HDR ON so when it works, you should know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, LG's (at least past ones) put up a notification when switching to HDR mode.

One word of caution when you said you have the TV in a sunroom. There have been reported instances of OLEDs getting image retention from direct sun exposure. So I would take steps to ensure the sun doesn't shine directly on the TV (even when off).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My LG definitely does not tell me if HDR is on. Now I'm wondering if it's not.

Thanks for the head's up about the sunroom. The TV is on a wall opposite of the house so sun never directly hits it, thankfully.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

My LG definitely does not tell me if HDR is on. Now I'm wondering if it's not.

Thanks for the head's up about the sunroom. The TV is on a wall opposite of the house so sun never directly hits it, thankfully.
When changing inputs you should get a little pop-in notification that shows you're now on an HDR signal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your available picture modes change as well. When getting an HDR signal, HDR picture modes should be selectable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Got a Netflix or Amazon Prime account you can test with an inbuilt app?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Got a Netflix or Amazon Prime account you can test with an inbuilt app?

Keep in mind you actually need to subscribe to the 4K tier of Netflix. My co-worker complained to me last week that the 4K on his Netflix looked awful compared to Amazon's and had his mind blown when I suggested he check to see if his account actually gets 4K.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

When changing inputs you should get a little pop-in notification that shows you're now on an HDR signal.

You're the best. I wasn't getting that so I dug a little deeper. Not only do you need to have HDR enabled on the ps4 but it has to be enabled in the game itself's menu. I finally got hdr working. Thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

You're the best. I wasn't getting that so I dug a little deeper. Not only do you need to have HDR enabled on the ps4 but it has to be enabled in the game itself's menu. I finally got hdr working. Thank you all!

Yes, every single game that supports HDR on the PS4 has to be enabled in the game itself (at least in my experience). And not every game supports HDR.