Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TinTower posted:

IIRC, they actually do write your electoral roll number on the counterfoil of the ballot paper, but those are locked away before the ballot boxes are opened to be counted, and are subsequently incinerated after the time for election court applications expires.

Where? Is this in a vote only by mail state?

In Massachusetts, you go in, they check your name off, they give you a ballot, you go to a little curtained booth and fill it out, another set of people checks your name off, you put the ballot into the machine or box. Nobody but you touches your ballot until it's counting time.

Now, the poll workers do turn in all the papers with people's names checked off so that the Elections Division can track who voted. But there's nothing linking any person to any vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky posted:

Where? Is this in a vote only by mail state?

The U.K.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Oh, duh. I don't know why I thought Tin Tower was in the US all this time. Thanks, I am a dumb.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I definitely remember stumbling across proto-redpill stdh and PUAs in the early 00s when I was a contrary teen and feminism skeptic. It wasn't as quite as self-evidently toxic as incel culture today, but the sheer resentment for women was always front-loaded. Being an awkward kid, who didn't get girls and thought they should just give you a chance, is not enough to fall down that rabbit hole, even if goons love telling the ol' "there but for the grace of God go I" tale. If you didn't actively hate the entire gender of not-dudes, you would probably have been fine.

Now, Jordan Peterson does peddle some pretty hot gateway misogyny, and I'm not sure there was a comparable movement 20 years ago. I feel like he hits all the same notes as objectivism, but I could never really get into that, either.

It's probably that all the disparate components were around in various forms, but the internet allowed them to be centralized without the need of a central power directing it. Like when I explained MRAs to my mom she said it reminded her of an AA meeting because that's where embittered dudes used to congregate to support each other in their shared view that the world is against them because they have to pay child support.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

e: wrong thread, you can look at this picture anyway

Tetracube has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Nov 11, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

More how countries vote, this is for a non FPTP system:

In The Netherlands we all get mailed a voting card, this is a personal one. You can authorize somebody else to vote in your place if you want. You can use this voting card in any polling station in your municipality, if you want to vote elsewhere (due to say work and/or commutes) you can apply for that. When you vote the validity of your voting card gets checked, and you have to ID yourself. Then you get the giantass bedsheet sized paper listing way too many people for each party and like 99% of the people you just pick the lead candidate for whichever party you chose. Ballot goes in a sealed bin till counting time. If the amount of collected voter cards doesn't match the amount of ballots after counting them all the polling place goes on lockdown till the issue is solved.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Party Rock 👌😎👌😎👌😎📢is in the house tonight✨🏚️🏠🌙but you know who's not?😂🤔🍆🍑💧💧a FATHER👌FIGURE😂👌🧔🏃🏁👩‍👧‍👦🏳️‍🌈💯💯hit that MF like button🤜🤜🔴

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So simple, so clean.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/mermatriarch/status/1061014067660374017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I like this theory. It also means old timey dogs before gunpowder probably didn't mind thunder, but hated chopping sounds and clashing metal.

Dogs in caveman time really disliked rocks hitting things.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Amazing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

This is too pure to make fun of.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also make sure you don't miss the name of the dog group it was posted in.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All soldiers would probably go to hell, dunno if I'd want some psychopath marine fresh out of the pit possessing my dog tbh

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Ularg posted:

This is too pure to make fun of.

We'll do it for you, good friend.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

All soldiers would probably go to hell, dunno if I'd want some psychopath marine fresh out of the pit possessing my dog tbh

Maybe dog breeds correlate to the branch of service. Marines are pit bulls, Army are golden labs, Navy inhabits Portuguese Water Dogs. German Shepherds are all Wehrmacht soldiers who died screaming on the Russian steppes.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
What breed are conscientious objectors?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

EvilGenius posted:

Cats.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EvilGenius posted:

Corgi's.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They're straight up Objectors. Just "no" made flesh.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dogs are too good and pure to have ever been human.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SiKboy posted:

I'm aware that Christianity isnt big on magic and witchcraft, but I did specify "playing a game with pretend magic" (leaving aside that all magic is pretend for a second). If playing a game with magic counts as practicing witchcraft then playing violent games violates "you shall not kill", and playing any fantasy character in any world where christianity isnt a thing violates "I am the lord your god who brought you out of egypt and you shall have no other gods before me" as you are pretending to be a character who worships a non-christian god.

A lot of Evangelicals believe that literally any contact with any kind of "demonic" thing, fictional or otherwise, allows demons to come in and take over your soul. Obviously the weirdo here was more liberal in his interpretation of demonic than usual (most of the people I've met with these beliefs would put ANY video game involving magic firmly in the "demonic" category) but I can definitely see someone with that belief system balking at explicitly demonic stuff.

And yes, these people do believe that literal actual demons from literal actual Hell are in the world, influencing people, and that the only way to stop them is to only engage in wholesome, explicitly Christian activities.

(Most of them don't care about the "Thou shalt not kill" or argue that it's "Thou shalt do no murder" and thus warfare or executions are free game. This is not a belief system that encourages thoughtful and critical analysis of the Bible.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They also think earning heaven through “works” is performative Catholic blasphemy poo poo and the only way to do it is to say a spell about accepting Jesus at some point in your life

So I guess I don’t know how that all follows anyway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

They also think earning heaven through “works” is performative Catholic blasphemy poo poo and the only way to do it is to say a spell about accepting Jesus at some point in your life

So I guess I don’t know how that all follows anyway

It makes sense if you understand that to them if youve truly accepted christ as your savior, your actions will be christlike. This also is why you can be "born-again" because no really, this time you mean it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

saw this one making the rounds

invoking the troops' sacrifice to have a weird rant about snowflakes. super respectful

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
There were no LGBT people back then because they either killed themselves or were in jail.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Or were killed themselves. By, you know, the Nazis.

Even the Allies were lovely to gay war heroes, like the British driving Alan Turing to suicide.

Perhaps it’s that reason why people don’t realise the context of this picture…

…where the books being burnt by the Nazis were written by Magnus Hirschfeld for having the temerity to argue that gay and transgender people should have equal rights.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Again, all the current military few faw is about World War ONE

There were no Nazis in 1918, Hitler was just a wounded vet and failed art student, hadn't even written a book.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

correct, the ww1 guys died for literally nothing

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

As we all know, World War One was not about slavery, much like Vietnam. In this paper, I will...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure all those soldiers were fighting for Queen and country, and not at all because they'd been conscripted.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

saw this one making the rounds

invoking the troops' sacrifice to have a weird rant about snowflakes. super respectful

We starve-look
At one another
Short of breath
Walking proudly in our winter coats
Wearing smells from lavatories
Facing a dying nation
Of moving paper fantasy
Listening for the new told lies
With supreme visions of lonely tunes
Somewhere

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, there was definitely, definitely no nationalism involved when it comes to WWI :rolleyes:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1061716516385841154

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cultural Marxist posted:

Yeah, there was definitely, definitely no nationalism involved when it comes to WWI :rolleyes:

what are you doing

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/jeremyvineon5/status/1060553441980887046?s=21

Ah yes, when 5 million > 9 million

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Did the Beeb finally get sick of Jeremy Vine, or did he just pull the whole “PC snowflakes, can’t say what you want, I’m off to channel 5” thing?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mpreg is definitely too pc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
People missed the fact that the male in question was not human. In that guy's species, men give birth to baby boys, women give birth to baby girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It is my solemn political goal to get mpreg dickbabies on public television by 2024, and vore scat play on every street corner. Vote Tumblr-man* 2020.

*not actually a man