Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Jodie Whittaker is great as the Doctor, even though I didn't like the episode much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good episode, amazing premise, if I see one more instance of "the aliens are misunderstood" this season I'll slap a bastard.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the concept of the aliens, super assassins who never considered what they were doing to people until it happened to them en mass because they weren't there to stop it. Then they're like "You know, this kind of sucks to be on the receiving end, I'm feeling kind of guilty now, let's start doing the exact opposite..."

Their presentation reminded me of the Ood in a really good way. It might be because it's Remembrance Day, but the idea of time travelling mourning and witnessing just got to me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

OldMemes posted:

This was like another show but for some reason the Doctor was there.

This is just a description of all the best episodes of Doctor Who.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gravastars posted:

Their presentation reminded me of the Ood in a really good way. It might be because it's Remembrance Day, but the idea of time travelling mourning and witnessing just got to me.

Makes me think a bit of Dia de los Muertos, with remembering the dead that have no one to remember them. I like to think because of these assassins way fewer people in the Mexican afterlife get forgotten entirely, their entire ship is a huge Ofrenda.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 11, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord Mountbatten posted:

At least on this question I shall give you complete assurance. I shall see to it that there is no bloodshed and riot. I am a soldier and not a civilian. Once partition is accepted in principle, I shall issue orders to see that there are no communal disturbances anywhere in the country. If there should be the slightest agitation, I shall adopt the sternest measures to nip the trouble in the bud.

I know he died in a pretty horrible way, but Jesus what a piece of poo poo.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Best thing they've done in years. More writers like this one please, Chibbers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So what we learn is that showrunners should never write episodes besides premiers and finales and hire other people to fill in the middle?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So if you die in a lonely place, you’re going to get visited by these guys, and also the Testimony from TUaT within a matter of moments?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The_Doctor posted:

So if you die in a lonely place, you’re going to get visited by these guys, and also the Testimony from TUaT within a matter of moments?

It'll be quite the farewell party :3:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This episode might be the best of the new series.

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe these guys helped make Testimony to carry on their work.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I really need to stop following the official Doctor Who page on Facebook, because within seconds of the episode finishing the usual band of muppets swarm all over the latest post, hitting the "angry" button, moaning about SJW agendas, how politics has no place in science-fiction, and how Doctor Who is now so terrible they didn't even watch the episode anyway. I miss the internet of the early/mid-90s, before the mentally ill got hold of it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Overall, that was good. Very much a family drama about the divisions of the partition (which like Graham, I don't know much about) where the team were just in the background.

The alien aspects felt a bit crowbarred in after their deal was explained. Why were they such pricks to the group who obviously had already blown their cover and wanted to know what was up with these famous former assassins? The Doctor didn't make them come clean, they just did it themselves after she mentioned that fact to their face. I wonder if that mystery would hold up on a rewatch.

Anyway, I think the only bit I wasn't feeling was the last little scene with Yaz and her gran. Something about it didn't quite click for me and I'm not sure what, maybe it felt a bit too saccharine perhaps? I'm guessing the war stuff was included partly because of the airdate but it felt very naturally included.

Funnily enough I noticed more lines to explain things we've just seen in this one, and The Doctor's lines in the first scene felt a bit Smith/Capaldi, but otherwise the script seemed really well written. The guest-characters were all clearly drawn and you knew who they were in seconds. I hope the other 3 or so writers we'll get in this series will be as good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Stabbatical posted:

Why were they such pricks to the group who obviously had already blown their cover and wanted to know what was up with these famous former assassins? The Doctor didn't make them come clean, they just did it themselves after she mentioned that fact to their face.

I mean, she did steal the remains of their entire civilisation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
While the episode would have been equally effective as a straight historical adventure without the alien element, the Deadly Assassins didn't feel like an afterthought. I thought they fit into the story fairly neatly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/burgerhewrote/status/1061365368525074434

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll be in the tardish if anywun wants me!

This last episode cements the repositioning of the Doctor from the whizz-bang knowitall to the engaging explorer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it a lot - great setting, great story which scales well to the time it has to tell it, and I really like the "fooled you it was a straight historical!" storytelling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the concept of the aliens, super assassins who never considered what they were doing to people until it happened to them en mass because they weren't there to stop it. Then they're like "You know, this kind of sucks to be on the receiving end, I'm feeling kind of guilty now, let's start doing the exact opposite..."

Well, not the exact opposite. The opposite would be being space-time travelling paramedics, saving lives.

If not for the historical setting making it basically a corner they'd been written into, I'd actually say the Doctor was a little out of character for letting them off the hook so easily. This kind of passive observation is the same thing she hates her own people for.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Hit and miss for me.

I like the fact they opened with a hint at another offscreen adventure.
I thought they were not going to be popping back for their normal lives though, takes a bit away from their choice to go travelling to give them time to grieve and find themselves.
Considering her Nan's wedding day was quite "eventful" you would think she should remember that her grandkid grew up to look exactly like this random woman who showed up with a bunch of other people.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mr Beens posted:

Considering her Nan's wedding day was quite "eventful" you would think she should remember that her grandkid grew up to look exactly like this random woman who showed up with a bunch of other people.

It was 71 years ago, she knew her for about a day, and frankly other things that were going on that day probably take up more brain real estate. Personally I'll be suprised if I remember what I looked like 71 years ago by the time I was in my 90s. And its not like Yas popped out of her mum looking like she did when she was in her 20s. Her gran knew her from when she was born, she came to look like adult Yas very slowly over years. There wouldnt be a day where she suddenly looked like she does now that would jog her grans memory.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I quote enjoyed that one. Probably the only time I'll hear Sheffield being called 'exotic'.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Okay, that was hands down the best episode of the season. Its not even close.

Our viewing was silent through the credits. Definitely the best so far.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That was really good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Definitely the best of the season so far, and up there for the whole revival series in my opinion!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That was really, really good. I've been digging this season a lot overall, but that's probably my favorite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SiKboy posted:

It was 71 years ago, she knew her for about a day, and frankly other things that were going on that day probably take up more brain real estate. Personally I'll be suprised if I remember what I looked like 71 years ago by the time I was in my 90s. And its not like Yas popped out of her mum looking like she did when she was in her 20s. Her gran knew her from when she was born, she came to look like adult Yas very slowly over years. There wouldnt be a day where she suddenly looked like she does now that would jog her grans memory.

Yeah, and even in the incredibly unlikely event that she did specifically remember Yaz's exact face from that one day, all she'd think is,"My grandkid looks a lot like that one cousin from a few valleys over" which hardly seems remarkable given how often you find facial similarities in old photos of your family.

Edit: One little thing I absolutely loved - and we saw last week too - was how quickly the Doctor understands and takes part in the rituals of other cultures/species. All she knew about the aliens in this were that they were deadly assassins, but when they explain their people were wiped out and did that grieving/memorial gesture, she immediately follows suit and shows direct and genuine empathy.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 12, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Really good. Ryan did nothing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That was an immense turn around on my feelings so far. It's hardly perfect and it still had a bit of stilted dialogue here and there, but it stands as a very solid non-arc Who episode for me.

Further thoughts would be that the younger brother sucked both as a person and an actor, the older brother was great if a little, I'm not sure really, his hysteria felt a little forced/fake sort of. I took a weird, almost sycophantic umbrage with "the greatest assassins who ever lived" but I might be Mandela effecting the word assassin in relation to the Angels. oldnuGran rocked.

As one of the people who criticized Rosa I can happily say this handled its brush with modern socio/geopolitics much better by being mostly background information and tension. The focus on family truths through that lens made a much more effective story than the fist fight with Mountbatten it might have been. (Minor hyperbole, probably.)

There was one thing that really stuck out to me though and I think it's both the best and worst piece of storytelling in the entire season; The Doctor's long look at the wise man. As a long-term (revival) watcher ten seconds of her smiling and thinking said legions about both who the new Doctor is and who she's been, most importantly what she thinks about herself. I'm not going to air exactly what that look says to me because I think if you catch it it's almost meant, or at least can be, something unique to every fan.

Of course for new fans it's just the Doctor smiling at an old man which doesn't do much and I suppose is more of a missed chance and shame than a direct failure.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 12, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Fantastic episode, but the “What is that?” “SCIENCE!” almost made me pause the episode because I couldn’t stop laughing.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Retroblique posted:

I really need to stop following the official Doctor Who page on Facebook, because within seconds of the episode finishing the usual band of muppets swarm all over the latest post, hitting the "angry" button, moaning about SJW agendas, how politics has no place in science-fiction, and how Doctor Who is now so terrible they didn't even watch the episode anyway. I miss the internet of the early/mid-90s, before the mentally ill got hold of it.

It takes a special kind of person to watch that whole episode and come away believing the younger brother was right. It takes a lot of energy to maintain such a belief in the face of a story like this one.

Also, the muppets would all support the other brother. Even Sam the Eagle. Even Uncle Deadly. These people aren't muppets, they're living wounds.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That was loving fantastic.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The cast, writers, and directors are all doing fantastic things with Doctor Who at the moment and this last episode pretty much cemented that. Regardless of how the rest of the episodes turn out.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hands down my favorite episode of the season.

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: One little thing I absolutely loved - and we saw last week too - was how quickly the Doctor understands and takes part in the rituals of other cultures/species. All she knew about the aliens in this were that they were deadly assassins, but when they explain their people were wiped out and did that grieving/memorial gesture, she immediately follows suit and shows direct and genuine empathy.

I was going to post just this, it was a small gesture that i thought was incredibly touching. Whitaker does so many little things right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I fear I was not as enthusiastic about this episode as everyone else, but it’s less down to the episode itself as the fact that we’ve had this exact same mid-episode “but here are the real villains (it’s man)” twist not two episodes before, and of course the previous episode had a monster that was basically innocent, etc. And again it’s an episode where the real villains can’t be stopped.

It’s a bit repetitive is all. They keep going for the same beats.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something I noticed in the TARDIS interior, the tops of the crystal spires seem to move in tandem with the time rotor

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

Okay, that was hands down the best episode of the season. Its not even close.
Agreed. Firing on all cylinders now.

I'll tell you somethin' else I appreciated is that movies and television have this incredibly racist way of color-grading a ton of countries to look gross. Lost did it with every scene that took place in Iraq or Africa, and Breaking Bad does it with Mexico. poo poo, among color-graders, it's literally called "The Mexico Filter," and it drives me nuts. This episode didn't use it once.

Imagine that. Other countries have green plant life and the sky isn't loving brown.

It evokes this whole "THIS ISN'T LIKE WHERE YOU, THE NORMAL PEOPLE ARE FROM" mood that just puts me right off.

Also, I kinda' miss the feeling of building to a big finale. This has been the most self-contained season of the entire run of Doctor Who, I reckon, since it's the most self-contained of the revival and the old show was all serials building to individual climaxes. Since I came on board after the revival, I'm used to the show being about The Doctor as much as it's about having fun through space and time, and given this being her first run of episodes as a woman, I was just as excited to explore that as I was worried that it would be played all wrong and made into a joke. So while I'm way into how the position taken is "She's the Doctor. Moving on" the whole thing is, I miss The Doctor growing and changing episode-to-episode.

That being said, my feelings on this might change considerably. Agents of Shield had a terrible first half-season that upon re-watching once you've actually gotten to know the characters, reads quite differently and becomes retroactively pretty alright, because you're hanging out with the television pals you know and love and not just watching random new people do whatever. Once you get a sense of their character, the earlier, weaker episodes become more interesting.

Retroblique posted:

That internet never existed. You can go back to BBS logs and Usenet archives and see that racist shitbags were making GBS threads up Star Trek topics from the start.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That episode would have been better without the pointless Testimony-redux storyline

also lol at the Doctor untying a fuckin loosely tied cord with her sonic. she's an addict, she can't even help herself

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shoulda kept the wood problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chokes McGee posted:

Fantastic episode, but the “What is that?” “SCIENCE!” almost made me pause the episode because I couldn’t stop laughing.

This was me but when the doctor was babbling about once being a man when they were getting the henna done.