Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Where do you grind? I live in SGV and most ppl head to Montebello mall and either walk or drive. Just moved here so still figuring out places to farm when I have time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

TheMaestroso posted:

Serious question: do you have any non-POGO life goals?

If I still had hopes and dreams, I wouldn’t be playing this game

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

GTJustin posted:

Where do you grind? I live in SGV and most ppl head to Montebello mall and either walk or drive. Just moved here so still figuring out places to farm when I have time.

I grind in Newhall in Santa Clarita Valley but did Community Day at Santa Monica on Main St.

I heard there’s some good grinding at Cal Tech.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Dr Tran posted:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr Tran posted:

Yeah that's PoGo in a nutshell.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Next door neighbor, wearing a Pikachu hat and loading her kids into her car: Are you headed out for the Community Day?
Me: No, I have to move all my poo poo to a new apartment this weekend.
Neighbor: But Cyndaquil!
Me: :cry:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I want to make goon PGo friends, I should click that google spreadsheet link and just write my info at the end? Do I need to apply or anything?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

rotinaj posted:

If I want to make goon PGo friends, I should click that google spreadsheet link and just write my info at the end? Do I need to apply or anything?

Yes, send me a list of your top mons by dps, you must be at least level 35 to qualify. We also need a full list of all gyms you have gold status at, minimum 10. Plus your entire gym map. Any outside your local area must come with an explanation.

Also send me $20

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you take bitcoin

And more importantly, do you take buttcoin

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Caught enough Cyndaquils to evolve a shiny Typholsion and high IV non-shiny Typholsion. Got four shinies along the way. Meh community day. At least there was dust!

Bagon day in December?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Bagon day in December?

I'm crossing my fingers that it's not. Too much to do weekends in December.

Bagon January!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dr Tran posted:

Thread title imo.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Caught 158 Cyndaquil total, 9 shiny (none of which with good IVs), and 6 with decent IVs. Best one at 91%, which I can't complain too much about.

200k stardust and enough EXP to drop me 100k away from 34.

The guy who organizes local meet-ups for Pokemon Go events turned it into a donation drive as well, which was pretty cool.

All in all, another good community day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It just seemed so blah over here. Our park thankfully had bike cops on the ready, but fuckers were still driving and blocking the street around the park, turning their hazard lights on to stay in one spot for minutes and try to force people to go around them on a narrow two-way road. The spawns were also loving slow as poo poo, most of the mon on my screen were loving Machop. I left the park after an hour, and driving through a Target parking lot with my plus on, caught three loving shinies in 10 minutes.

I really reaaaaaally hope December is a two day event, like with Eevee. The holidays are such a mess, I bet community day will gently caress over more players than usual.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hurry up and give me a Garchomp Niantic so I can start razing every gym within the tri-state area :argh:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
It's so weird to see you guys posting about like... Going out and doing poo poo on community day.

Here in rural Western NC, in my town of 900 people, the best way to catch a shitload of dudes on CD is to go to the next town over that is just as small, but has a Walmart, and sit in the parking lot and catch the literal-hundreds of Pokemon that spawn right there, and strangely ONLY right there.

Being in the middle of nowhere sucks. :smith:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
That's really weird. Here Walmart is a total dead zone.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Our walmart has a buttload of trash spawns in the parking lot and the mall across the street might get a couple pidgeys out front at best despite having 5 stops inside and 2 gyms just outside by a walking trail.

:iiam:

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

BGrifter posted:

That's really weird. Here Walmart is a total dead zone.

How old is the Walmart? There's a Costco here with 0 spawns cause it was built recently. Ppl drive to the "old" Costco for spawns. Gotta get ingress to populate the spawns

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Certain car parks seem to be really good spawn-wise for some reason, maybe it’s because their layout in the OSM data makes them look like a load of really densely packed streets?

Maybe it’s urban privilege, but I have no comprehension of the people who complain about low spawns. I live in a medium sized town (not a city) and everyone piles down to the central park. Walking round there, it’s hard for there to be any point in the 3 hours where you don‘t have a CD spawn on screen..

I got 6 shinies in the end, best was a 73% that I evolved. Also traded a lucky that I evolved for the luckydex entries, but of course that was level 1 so has a whopping 37cp. IV checking later I found my best was a high-level 96%er, but I’d missed the window to get Blast Burn on it - I really wish that extended to the end of community day rather than being limited to the hour after (while I was still out). Non-Cyndaquil wise I got enough candy to evolve Nincada and hatched my first Magby :allears:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GTJustin posted:

How old is the Walmart? There's a Costco here with 0 spawns cause it was built recently. Ppl drive to the "old" Costco for spawns. Gotta get ingress to populate the spawns

It’s a fairly old one, but it’s also kind of isolated by the big parking lot around it. Here the big spots for spawns are the beach, downtown, and the rec center in the middle of town.

Walmart is a total dead zone with maybe a couple things in the parking lot. The mall is pretty thin on spawns despite having several stops.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So as I sit here almost 12 hours after CD ended I'm IV checking and grinding up my 50 or so extra Cyndaquil and of course find a 15/15/15 now that I won't get the move or have the candy to make him Typhlosion.

Also how is it he has all 15s but his IV is 97.8?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pez posted:

So as I sit here almost 12 hours after CD ended I'm IV checking and grinding up my 50 or so extra Cyndaquil and of course find a 15/15/15 now that I won't get the move or have the candy to make him Typhlosion.

Also how is it he has all 15s but his IV is 97.8?

Maybe it's showing an average. Try refining it with an appraisal.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Wheany posted:

Maybe it's showing an average. Try refining it with an appraisal.

After I appraised it now the stats show 15/14/15. Bummer.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Don't know if I'm just lucking out with field research but I had a lickitung and a clefable spawn.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cheater, you have to start the event with <100 Cyndaquil candies or you are officially cheating

Quick catch and throwing balls at everything in sight got me ~1k candies and 300k stardust. I might have gotten 400k if I had 3 more star pieces :(

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 11, 2018

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tomorrow is Adventure Sync rollover day, so finish up those kilometers and be sure to clear some egg space if you want eggs!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Re Walmart, there's definitely something in Pokemon go where spawns occur where there's a lot of signals from players. Parking lots, rest stops, and even major intersections will have a ton of spawns, presumably from people's games updating to 0 mph after going to fast to load anything

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

Re Walmart, there's definitely something in Pokemon go where spawns occur where there's a lot of signals from players. Parking lots, rest stops, and even major intersections will have a ton of spawns, presumably from people's games updating to 0 mph after going to fast to load anything

Yeah I assume they use some kind of player heat map to decide where is going to have lots of spawns, which is also going to result in a reinforcement loop.

Early in the game there was a residential street I had to walk down to get to work, which was a dead zone in the game. Then they made an announcement about changing spawn frequency in certain areas, and suddenly there was activity there. I imagine my walking back and forth on that specific street had some kind of impact on their heat map.

Plus: anywhere that ingress nerds would cluster.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

What is the quick catch trick and is it usable on IOS?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Back when Niantic was affiliated with Google, they built a heat map of cellular activity to use inside Ingress, which determined XM spawning. When Pokemon Go was launched, that same heat map seems to have been used to determine Pokemon spawn rates and locations.

I heard that the data hasn't been updated since they broke off with Google, which is why places that had high foot/phone traffic years ago have high spawns, and newer areas do not. Maybe they've done small local updates though.

This is supposedly why you'll sometimes stumble across a place in a quiet area that has a large cluster of spawns — someone used their phones a lot!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So what's this about saved research tasks going away?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
You can only store up to 100 now.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
But you should :spergin: less and store zero

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Xinder posted:

You can only store up to 100 now.

I thought it was 20 and they told us months ago?

Sorry if :thejoke:

My gotcha has suddenly decided to be more reliable. However, it runs for about an hour then disconnects and refuses to work again. My working theory is that the battery needs to be full or almost full in order to connect.

1. Is this something anyone here has seen?

2. Does the Gotcha Ranger have a lot longer life if you don't use it as a phone charger? I'm thinking of getting it at GameStop and then returning if it doesn't work.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yukari posted:

What is the quick catch trick and is it usable on IOS?

Use one hand to select the berry or pokeball menu by taping it and holding down; it should be highlighted, but not opened. Then, throw a ball at the pokemon with your other hand. After it hits, let go with the first and it should open whichever menu you were holding down, which will allow you to run away.

The game determines if you have caught the pokemon right when the ball hits, not after the animation completes, so you basically run away to avoid watching the animation. You can just immediately tap the same pokemon on the map again if you want to make sure you caught it. Either it will disappear and the game will give you an unable to find pokemon error (which means you caught it or it ran away), or it will pull you into the encounter again and you can throw another ball. It takes about 6-8 seconds per capture/attempt compared to 18-20 that the normal way takes. There are probably videos if you youtube or google quick catch that will explain it better.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
sure i caught several good Cyndaquils but the 6/6/6 IV one is obviously the best

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Psion posted:

sure i caught several good Cyndaquils but the 6/6/6 IV one is obviously the best

All hail.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

My gotcha has suddenly decided to be more reliable. However, it runs for about an hour then disconnects and refuses to work again. My working theory is that the battery needs to be full or almost full in order to connect.

1. Is this something anyone here has seen?

It's always had an hour connection time. One time there was a "bug" where it lasted 3 hours, but they quickly put a stop to that. Cause....Niantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got enough candy to evolve an actually decent Typhlosion and a pretty solid shiny one. This was just dicking around while my kids were playing at our children's museum and/or letting the Go-tcha do the work.