Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We got broads watching the streets so your fuckin' kids don't get run over...

edit: Fuckin' AFSCME snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've had a union gig for a little over 2 years now it has its ups and downs.
Seniority is a bitch and can gently caress you hard in slow times when the slacker that's been cruising for 30 years gets hours before you do.
On the plus side I've gotten my hosed up teeth fixed for almost no money out of my pocket.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thumposaurus posted:

I've had a union gig for a little over 2 years now it has its ups and downs.
Seniority is a bitch and can gently caress you hard in slow times when the slacker that's been cruising for 30 years gets hours before you do.
On the plus side I've gotten my hosed up teeth fixed for almost no money out of my pocket.

Eventually he'll die and you can slack for the next 30 years.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our newest idiot cook seemingly walked off the job today because he was feeling a little sick. Said he was going to the bathroom, disappeared. Didn't tell the boss, didn't tell us. In normal, responsible adult land, this would result in disciplinary action, such as termination of employment, yes?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Animal-Mother posted:

Our newest idiot cook seemingly walked off the job today because he was feeling a little sick. Said he was going to the bathroom, disappeared. Didn't tell the boss, didn't tell us. In normal, responsible adult land, this would result in disciplinary action, such as termination of employment, yes?

Yeah, walking off without talking to the boss is basically a non-verbal "I quit" in essentially every work environment.

A phrase that HR people like to use is that a person "self-selected" themselves for termination.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Timby posted:

Yeah, walking off without talking to the boss is basically a non-verbal "I quit" in essentially every work environment.

A phrase that HR people like to use is that a person "self-selected" themselves for termination.

Unless it's a true, no poo poo emergency. And even then you should be calling your boss on the way out the door if you can't find them to say "Hey, my kid got run over and is about to go in for emergency surgery". "Feeling a little sick" and going to the bathroom doesn't really qualify.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Unfortunately, at our location, we are so desperate for cooks this guy will probably not even receive a stern talking-to. I had an interview this morning with a much more professional outfit and it went well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Well, it only took a year and six waffle irons from Wal-mart that poo poo the bed after a couple weeks of use, but we finally got a commercial grade Waring iron for brunch! I almost teared up a little bit when I came in at 7am today and saw that beauty.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Well, it only took a year and six waffle irons from Wal-mart that poo poo the bed after a couple weeks of use, but we finally got a commercial grade Waring iron for brunch! I almost teared up a little bit when I came in at 7am today and saw that beauty.

An actual Waring Commercial waffle iron, or one of the old Waring Pros from before they changed the branding to Cuisinart? :^

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

An actual Waring Commercial waffle iron, or one of the old Waring Pros from before they changed the branding to Cuisinart? :^

It's brand new and shiny and has "WARING COMMERCIAL " stamped into it. Built like a tank and ran wonderfully yesterday, churned out 3 minute waffles like a champ and didnt short out our GFCI socket like so many other appliances have (gently caress you, lovely toaster).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol today GFS dropped off an order of pre-cooked chicken breasts that had a single raw, gooey, slimy chicken breast in the middle of the box!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

lol today GFS dropped off an order of pre-cooked chicken breasts that had a single raw, gooey, slimy chicken breast in the middle of the box!

Holy lol, as Queen Chicken Bitch I would've flipped my poo poo if I got that. Like, was it a whole box of chicken, with a raw gooey center like a Tootsie Pop, or literally one breast in the box? I've gotten some weird rear end boxes of bacon lately that wouldn't make me doubt the latter.

US Foods recently brought us 3 or 4 buckets of icing instead of lard. Those would've been some interesting biscuits if one stellar employee wasn't half-asleep at 4am and caught that mistake (the buckets are crazy similar, I'll give the picker/driver that). Fortunately one of their HQ/distribution centers is all of 15 minutes away, so our rep came out immediately and brought the lard personally in his own car after my boss flipped her poo poo on the phone.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Holy lol, as Queen Chicken Bitch I would've flipped my poo poo if I got that. Like, was it a whole box of chicken, with a raw gooey center like a Tootsie Pop, or literally one breast in the box? I've gotten some weird rear end boxes of bacon lately that wouldn't make me doubt the latter.

US Foods recently brought us 3 or 4 buckets of icing instead of lard. Those would've been some interesting biscuits if one stellar employee wasn't half-asleep at 4am and caught that mistake (the buckets are crazy similar, I'll give the picker/driver that). Fortunately one of their HQ/distribution centers is all of 15 minutes away, so our rep came out immediately and brought the lard personally in his own car after my boss flipped her poo poo on the phone.

It’s the tootsie roll pop. Big box of precooked chicken with a single raw gooey surprise right in the middle

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've always heard rumors of a thermometer on the outside of protein that identifies time-temperature abuse, but i never actually saw it on any packaging

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've always heard rumors of a thermometer on the outside of protein that identifies time-temperature abuse, but i never actually saw it on any packaging

They have it in the medical industry, per se. Sterilization bags will have a marker on them that will change colors when exposed to temperature X for Y amount of time, indicating proper procedure.

Unless that's exactly what you mean.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I have a quick question about wages here. Specificlaly, yeah, we all know kitchen pay sucks and hasn't kept up with inflation, (unless you work at a place that has deep pockets) but I'm wondering just how much value should be experience be worth?

Not just positions, but entry level vs 'i know what i'm doing actually'.

So, open floor I guess: what's someone who's worth their salt/has a few years down worth, above entry-level?

I know this varies from place to place and cost of living, but I'm just trying to get a feel for reasonable expectations.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I wouldn't take a kitchen job for less than 12 an hour and thats in Dallas.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The mountains turn blue when it's cold enough

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

I wouldn't take a kitchen job for less than 12 an hour and thats in Dallas.

Yeah, apparently low end cooking positions in the denver boulder area are starting at/upwards of 18/19 hourly.
I've seen some 45-50k line cook offerings in dallas/austin in my poking around. Hows life out there?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
In Austin, we start all entry level cooks at $15/hr. CdPs start at $18, and sous at $24. Senior level sous and CdCs start at 80k salary.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

$9/hr as a shift lead with years of experience in Roanoke, VA. Granted, our cost of living isn't like a big city like Denver or Austin, but drat, that smarts. :smith:

I voted yesterday for our potential congresswoman who wanted to raise min wage to 15, and legalize weed. No joy. The city is a little nugget of blue in a very red county, though.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
Just left a kitchen spot in San Diego making $14/hr, with all the free craft beer I could drink after work. They wouldn't schedule me more than 30 hrs a week because I wouldn't take the $12/hr they offered in the interview. No way I was going to work for that, as I've got a decade of line cooking experience.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

They have it in the medical industry, per se. Sterilization bags will have a marker on them that will change colors when exposed to temperature X for Y amount of time, indicating proper procedure.

Unless that's exactly what you mean.

oh yeah, there's a type of tag that will indicate if a package has been left above 41 degrees for too long, but i personally never dealt with any suppliers who used them

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

$9/hr as a shift lead with years of experience in Roanoke, VA. Granted, our cost of living isn't like a big city like Denver or Austin, but drat, that smarts. :smith:

I get sad every time I see this JD.

$15/hr + tips as a server, Canada

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
$10.50/hr plus tips as a cook/barback/bartender/whatever else and $13/hr as a buffet cook+attendant in South Dakota. These are considered reasonably good numbers for our area, most places start cooks around $9.

JD, $9 for an experienced shift lead is loving atrocious, and I'm sorry.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 8, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nthing that. You deserve more JD. I'm making $14.30 as a 'senior cook' at the hospital. (With a potential cap at that position of somewhere around 18.50) in central OH.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I'm bolstered by your replies, as well as the fact that I just had my one year anniversary at this place, to sack up and ask for a raise.

Our store has been absolutely hemorrhaging labor costs lately, though; we start doing cuts when our POS shows 40% labor, which as I understand it is pretty abysmal as it is. I'm in a terrible position to ask for more money, and that's why I'm all hand-wringing about it. I'm terrified that if I say "hey, I used to make $10/hr just doing dish at a place downtown; I think I'm worth more than 9" they'll say "okay, go get a job somewhere else, we can hire another schmuck to replace you".

But I'm stuck in an oroborous of suck because:
----can't get car fixed because my pay sucks, I'm behind on rent as it is
----can't get a job downtown because public transit blows rear end, busses stop running at 9 so good luck getting a night job
----making 9/hr because it's the only place hiring within walking distance
----GOTO:10

Theoretically I COULD get a better paying job; one of my former managers defected to the swank hotel downtown and is making mad bank + bennies and would take me on in a second. But I have no way of getting home after my shift. I'm just loving stuck here, thread--- physically and mentally. Please help me find the words and courage that will convince an owner to give me a raise, without him saying "this isn't good enough for you? Okay, I got plenty of 18 year old poo poo heads that will be happy to replace you for $7.25"

He may or may not say that, I don't know. But I've got all the self-esteem of an area rug and have never asked for a raise, I have no clue how to do this without shooting myself in the foot.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 9, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tell your former manager about your ride situation and see if he could help you find rides.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
How much will it cost to fix your car?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This, and/or what's wrong with it? Is it something you could conceivably fix yourself?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

I'm terrified that if I say "hey, I used to make $10/hr just doing dish at a place downtown; I think I'm worth more than 9" they'll say "okay, go get a job somewhere else, we can hire another schmuck to replace you".

this is why you can’t get out. you know that rn you are that schmuck who will take less than a living wage bc of convenience and comfort. you seem to know quite a bit about how the business is doing; have you ever considered how much money yr making them while accepting a pittance of a wage?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Who’s starting the go fund me? I’m borderline inept at internet.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’ll donate.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’ll donate.

I'm in. someone make the thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm happy to make it, but I don't know how to get in touch with JD and I'm not sure if she's even cool with letting us help.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I always peruse the forums while having my morning cigarette/poop, and at 6 this morning looked at this thread and also read a PM.

Y'all... Y'all were serious about helping me. Holy poo poo.

THANKS FOR MAKING ME TEARY EYED THROUGH BRUNCH SERVICE, YOU BENEVOLENT ASSHATS

Seriously, I'm sobbing my eyes out writing this post, because I was choking back tears all morning and I can finally let it out. Kinda hard to explain to co-workers "so there's these total strangers on the internet that are willing to help me out"

The main issue with Pilar (that's my car's name) is her starter. But since she hasn't run in months, no idea if there might be some other issues from baking in the Virginia sun, not running. Every couple weeks, I've pushed her a few feet forward/back, so her tires don't go flat on one "side". She's way past her inspection date; I've been covering up that part of the windshield with leaves so passing cops can't see she's overdue ( I have to park on the street). She's gonna need a tow to the shop, and I have no idea what the labor is on a starter --- well, I kinda do, I watched a youtube to see if it was something I could fix myself. Turns out doing a starter on a 2001 Cavalier requires no less than 5 specialty socket wrenches, so it's almost six of one/half dozen of the other as far as my cost, if I had to buy the tools. Plus I just don't trust myself to work on her myself without possibly loving things up even worse. I've changed her oil and done other minor repairs myself, but this one's daunting.

Guess I'm looking at:
--- tow service (~$75)
--- cost of starter (~$100)
--- labor (??? guessing it''s not gonna be less than $200)
--- inspection ($15, plus whatever else might be wrong with her)

So I dunno, $400 might cover it?

I just want my Pilar back. I want the freedom to go anywhere, get a job elsewhere, and get out of the house so I don't spend all my time drinking to death.

...aaaaaand cue fresh round of crying.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Id donate. Ill start it after my 13hr day is over.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I got :10bux: on it. Set some poo poo up!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

ApolloSuna posted:

Id donate. Ill start it after my 13hr day is over.

definitely not quoting this post as a bookmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about setting up gofundmes, but I'm definitely in once it's up.