Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011

Welcome to Let's Play Makai Kingdom! For my debut LP I wanted to pick something quirky and fun that still has some decent gameplay to hold everything together. Join in as we play as Zetta (voiced by an over-the-top Crispin Freeman), who's the universes' most baddest rear end freaking Overlord. There's one problem though; one of his rivals, Pram, has conspired to destroy his Netherworld through trickery. Zetta, not being one to go down so easy, has managed to save himself by confining to a book. It's our duty to utilize our useless godlike powers reduced to delegation of a ragtag team of wanna be's and overtake the universe for power hungry, manically cackling Zetta once again. Hi-jinks and shenanigans to follow. We'll be playing the entire game through, with a few New Game+'s to unlock most of the late game content. I'll be trying to show off all of the endings, and the goofy misfits you can recruit during the end game. There will be some grinding later in the game, so I'll do my best to flag those videos to separate story videos from grinding so that you can watch whatever you prefer.

Spoiler Policy
Please use spoiler tags for plot points and gameplay not covered yet in the videos.

The Videos
Videos marked with [Grind] denote episodes where no story line segments or cutscenes occur.

Episode 1 - Intro Cutscenes
Episode 2 - First Battles
Episode 3 - Enter Babylon
Episode 4 - Disperse, loyal battle monkeys!
Episode 5 - Babylon's Husk [Grind]
Episode 6 - Wrapping Up Stage 2 [Grind]

Get Recruited
To kick things off, i'll be accepting new recruits who I will integrate into our team. I don't garuntee that you'll get the class you pick, or that you will stay there for long, as character growth dictates a lot of class hopping later in the game, but you should be good if you get in early! To join, simply pick one of the classes below and I'll confine you from an item the next chance I get!

Warrior (Male, Apprentice)
The main physical damage dealers in the party. Warriors wield oversized Guts-like bastard swords that do a lot of physical damage. They are great early game, but fall behind some of the classes at higher levels. Weapons they can use: Swords, Ball and Chains, Spears, Axes.

Warrior (Female, Apprentice)
Similar to their male counter parts, but tend to equip weapons that have lower damage, so they tend not to be as :black101: as the male versions, but still have their uses in melee combat. Weapons they can use: Daggers, Swords, Rapiers, Spears.

Priest (Healer)
Early game healing and buff unit. Some of her buffs become very important after the first few chapters of the game. Weapons they can use: Daggers, Spears, Books, Syringes.

Magician
Packs a magical punch, Magicians are some of the deadliest spell casters in the game and primarily rely on elemental weaknesses to kill foes. Weapons they can use: Daggers, Books, Drums, Boxes.

Witch
Female caster that boasts the highest INT growth in the game. Witches can lay some serious magical smackdown on their enemies. Weapons they can use: Daggers, Books, Staves, Magnets.

Thief (Pickpocket)
High movement, and uses TEC for their weapons. Thieves are primarily useful for their Steal ability with UFOs. With these we can get some sweet gear from our foes, or probe them to death from a distance. They also get some awesome movement bonuses at higher levels. Weapons they can use: Daggers, Rapiers, UFOs, Muskets, and Fishing Rods.

Merchant (Junk Trader)
Not terribly useful in combat in early game, but tends to have good movement and allows us to purchase items from them at home base. Weapons they can use: Spears, Nunchucks, Bazookas, and Ball and Chains

SliceofVice fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Make me a Thief!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A Merchant.

Gotta wait one more year for this.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i think i played this a long, long time ago. can't remember a thing about it.

signing up as a ball and chain warrior

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Make me a Wizard, please! I wanna be this dude basically:

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Man I remember this game. I really wish that the PSP version had come over. I also really wish they would give this play style a try again. anyway I think I would perfer to be a warrior, female I like their look better than the males.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I suppose I'll be a witch since I'm guessing we can't choose from classes that aren't available yet.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Make me boxes magician!

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Makai Kingdom is a cool game.

Make me a Priest, I suppose.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ah, nice!

Anyway, Magician please! More magicians!

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

I suppose I'll be a witch since I'm guessing we can't choose from classes that aren't available yet.

If it doesn't become too tedious to micromanage, I may allow you guys control over the development of your characters as we unlock all the classes. If there's a specific class you want to be down the road, feel free to pop it in a spoiler tag and I'll make a foot note.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Whatever go well for Boxes! :greencube:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Then I'd like my witch to be reincarnated into a Thunder God as soon as possible.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Whenever I'm not using a UFO, I'd like to use Rapiers.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Make me a thief.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My d7 says to give me a Magician.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Boring rear end Warrior, please.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Make me a warrior please!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Mind adding me to team warrior? (As a male)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Go ahead and Merchant me.

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011
Update #3
Episode 3 - Enter Babylon

-----

Goon character insertions start happening episode 4. Feel free to keep requesting additions, but don't expect to be used as often in battle if you are a late comer. This is due to the way the party efficiently levels in combat - not playing favorites, promise!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Please make me either a Warrior or a Bazooka Merchant. Although anything is fine, really.

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
Gotta be a Magician. Or if there's a later class with better facial hair with that, I'd be down for that. Everyone knows more the more crazy the facial hair the more awesome you are.

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011
Update 4
Episode 4 - Disperse, loyal battle monkeys!

In this episode we meet Alexander, the God of Destruction, one of Zetta's rival overlords. He might be annoying, but at least he has a cool theme song. We also unlock some new monster classes that we can confine our characters into.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why would they make reincarnation give random stats each time?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I can't help but laugh my rear end off at the mental image of a Cleric woman picking up a dog house with the rest of the party inside and tossing it several feet away, somehow leaving it completely intact with the occupants unharmed and someone needs to draw that.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Warrior, Male, and I adore this game. It's so entertaining. Zetta carries a lot of it, but that's not a negative in my mind, he just stands taller than everybody else in the cast.

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why would they make reincarnation give random stats each time?

Because, why not? :toot: Serious answer: The random values are typically between a min and max value with a range of 3 or 4. It has a much larger effect on characters made at the start of the game than it does later down the road.

Chimera-gui posted:

I can't help but laugh my rear end off at the mental image of a Cleric woman picking up a dog house with the rest of the party inside and tossing it several feet away, somehow leaving it completely intact with the occupants unharmed and someone needs to draw that.

You haven't seen some of the goofy things we can do with throwing yet. It'll take some time to unlock still, but will be well worth the chuckle when we get there!

WampaPartyEX posted:

Warrior, Male, and I adore this game. It's so entertaining. Zetta carries a lot of it, but that's not a negative in my mind, he just stands taller than everybody else in the cast.

Agreed. Crispin Freeman does a fantastic job as Zetta. Everyone else serves as some manner of character foil, which i'm completely fine with.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Samurai, Male.

This game was fun but it did have some weird quirks. I don't remember there being too many problems with money though. Are you selling excess items from your maps? That was how I made money in Phantom Brave during the early game and, I think, it still works pretty well here.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh I fully expect more shenanigans as the LP goes on, scripted and unscripted. Nippon Ichi games are known for their comedy and especially how over-the-top and wonderfully egotistical Overlords are.

Hell, Laharl's English voice actor was none other than Barbara Goodson AKA the voice of Rita Repulsa.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SliceofVice posted:

Agreed. Crispin Freeman does a fantastic job as Zetta. Everyone else serves as some manner of character foil, which i'm completely fine with.

Well, I'd say Crispin Freeman does a fantastic job no matter what he's in.

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011
Update #5

In this episode we continue on through some of the stage 2 missions. This is our first episode with no story line beats.

----

mastersord posted:

Samurai, Male.

This game was fun but it did have some weird quirks. I don't remember there being too many problems with money though. Are you selling excess items from your maps? That was how I made money in Phantom Brave during the early game and, I think, it still works pretty well here.

To be fair we are just starting out still. We're also playing with a larger crew than I am used to due to thread requests, so keeping everyone kitted out will take some initial investment. I am selling gear between episodes, but it hasn't amounted to much yet.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This LP has inspired me to play through Disgaea 2 PC, since I don't have Makai Kingdom and I've purchased the early Disgaea games in multiple formats (without beating any of them).

I initially tried going back to D1 but the PC version not having the ability to rotate the stage killed it for me. You did it in D1 DS, NiS, come on!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

SliceofVice posted:

Update #5

In this episode we continue on through some of the stage 2 missions. This is our first episode with no story line beats.

----

To be fair we are just starting out still. We're also playing with a larger crew than I am used to due to thread requests, so keeping everyone kitted out will take some initial investment. I am selling gear between episodes, but it hasn't amounted to much yet.

I see. Despite how these games allow you to have a small army, the key to success is usually to focus on a small party of 3 or 4 units or less. You should be OK if/when you grind off-screen. You could possibly just keep a few units that you reincarnate and rename. The stars will help keep them alive and useful in later stages, but you will still need to grind off-screen a little bit for the mana needed

Edit: Hadn't seen the video yet. sorry.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 14, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So what does choosing different Overlords at the start of the chapter change?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do enemies get the healing bonus if they take your hospital? How much does it cost to replace a destroyed building?

SliceofVice
Aug 9, 2011

RickVoid posted:

This LP has inspired me to play through Disgaea 2 PC, since I don't have Makai Kingdom and I've purchased the early Disgaea games in multiple formats (without beating any of them).

Ironically, Disgaea is what inspired me to do this LP, as every time I try to play one of those games I end up booting up Makai again.

mastersord posted:

I see. Despite how these games allow you to have a small army, the key to success is usually to focus on a small party of 3 or 4 units or less. You should be OK if/when you grind off-screen.

I agree if you want to play optimally. For the sake of Goon participation, I am sharing units more than I normally would though

Fat Samurai posted:

So what does choosing different Overlords at the start of the chapter change?

It changes the types of enemies encountered and the amount. For the sake of the LP on our first play though I will be selecting the intended order of Overlords.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do enemies get the healing bonus if they take your hospital? How much does it cost to replace a destroyed building?

Yes, building bonuses go both ways. We can also gain bonuses from enemy structures as well. If any of your buildings are destroyed, you will get them back after the level is over at no cost, however if you had anyone (or any items) equipped inside, you will have to set that up all over again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh hey bookmarked this one. i tried to play this game a couple times back in the day and always bounced off of it super hard.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Wouldn’t it be good tactic to store the near-death unit inside a building to eliminate the chance of getting targeted and save rez cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Make me a magnet witch or UFO Thief please. (Depending on what you need.)