Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

StonecutterJoe posted:

An average novel is 90k words. A WoT or Sanderson doorstopper is a few times that, but let's look at that for a baseline.

To write a 90k word novel in one year, you have to write the awe-inspiring, shocking, unbelievable workload of... two hundred and forty six words a day. For WoT/Sanderson levels, you could be looking at (gasp) maybe even a thousand words a day. Which, if you assume eight hours behind the keyboard, is a back-breaking hundred and twenty-five words an hour. Sanderson seems amazing because he actually treats writing like a full-time job, and we're accustomed to a ton of writers who don't and play up the drama of the job like they're Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a mountain in Hades because they managed to sit down and work for an hour or two last Tuesday.

lol

BananaNutkins posted:

The entire genre is incestuous to a shameful degree, and that's why I try to encourage people to read outside the genre if they want to write fantasy or sf. Brent Weeks cribs from the Wheel of Time ALOT in the last two Night Angel books. Scott Lynch was inspired by Final Fantasy 6. Joe Abercrombie is pretty savvy and steals from other genres to subvert fantasy genre expectation, but he still follows the hero's journey very blatantly in his first trilogy.

What fantasy genre expectations does Joe Abercrombie subvert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Can we please keep Abercrombie chat in the other thread?

I agree with the assertion that writing a fantasy novel is more comparable to writing the script of a movie/tv show, while writing a literary book is more comparable with creating a true art paintwork. So it makes sense somebody like Sanderson can write much faster than more literary authors.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this... this is a deeply upsetting mentality

You literally asked "Like, how much did he reflect on a sentence before committing to it?" That's a quote, from you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Walh Hara posted:

I agree with the assertion that writing a fantasy novel is more comparable to writing the script of a movie/tv show, while writing a literary book is more comparable with creating a true art paintwork. So it makes sense somebody like Sanderson can write much faster than more literary authors.

Movie/tv scripts, famously meant to be cranked out without regard for quality.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yes? Or do you think each season of Agents of Shield take years to write

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's good to know that even people who read fantasy think it's a shoddy poorly made type of art

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Quality != artful/literary.

A book doesn't need to be an artwork brimming with innovative techniques and awesome prose to be very enjoyable (good world building, character development and plot). Neither does a movie/tv script.

If you want to create true literary art it's probably impossible to match the writing output as somebody like Sanderson. I think Sanderson can write so fast because he focuses on the story and world building more than on prose and art.

That said, compared to most other fantasy authors his prose is still decent, just nowhere as good as real literary geniuses.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A human heart posted:

it's good to know that even people who read fantasy think it's a shoddy poorly made type of art

There is no such thing as art, just varying degrees of trash.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

A human heart posted:

I don't think it's shoddy or poorly made, just not art per se.

I mean, I also read non-fiction. Do I consider Jonathan Sumption's books artwork? Of course not. But it's still very interesting and enjoyable to read. Same with fantasy.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 12, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is no such thing as art, just varying degrees of trash.

That's stupid. have some self respect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A human heart posted:

That's stupid. have some self respect.

Lol, touched a nerve I guess. Sorry the stuff you like is trash.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol, touched a nerve I guess. Sorry the stuff you like is trash.

?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Walh Hara posted:

I don't think it's shoddy or poorly made, just not art per se.

I mean, I also read non-fiction. Do I consider Jonathan Sumption's books artwork? Of course not. But it's still very interesting and enjoyable to read. Same with fantasy.

You responded to bait. AHH likes to shitpost threads with puerile and useless comments looking to get a rise from someone. Just pass their post on by and don't respond to them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think I could be clearer.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Owned.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
From the little Sanderson I've read, I have to wonder why he even writes novels when he'd clearly much rather be programming video games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do wonder why all of a sudden this thread is getting a lot of half assed trolls.

It’s not like a book released recently so it seems random.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do wonder why all of a sudden this thread is getting a lot of half assed trolls.

It’s not like a book released recently so it seems random.

There are a lot of people in the Book Barn that get VERY upset when you enjoy the wrong the things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

From the little Sanderson I've read, I have to wonder why he even writes novels when he'd clearly much rather be programming video games.

What makes you think he would want to do video games. I very much doubt he even plays video games let along want to program them.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

What makes you think he would want to do video games. I very much doubt he even plays video games let along want to program them.
He writes about magic like it's a game engine. Reading his action scenes is like watching a livestream.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Not trolling, just giving my honest Hot Take.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's on record saying he'd love CD Projekt to do Mistborn like the Witcher, so he's a fan. But I don't think he wants to do the design or anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He writes about magic like it's a game engine. Reading his action scenes is like watching a livestream.

I mean his magic does have rules but their aren’t like bars or anything so I honestly don’t see the comparison.

Like what in particular about his magic system do you think is videogamey.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Some more Skyward chat, because this technical book/genre talk is boring and a bit pointless in this thread.

Did anyone else think that the big secret might be that the aliens in space are actually fabricated to keep the military dictatorship in power? It felt a bit Brave New World / 1984ish to me.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean his magic does have rules but their aren’t like bars or anything so I honestly don’t see the comparison.

Like what in particular about his magic system do you think is videogamey.
If you turn off the HUD in a game, does it stop being a game for you?

quote:

The Shardbearer struck. Szeth skipped to the side and Lashed himself to the ceiling as the Shardbearer’s Blade sliced into the wall. Feeling a thrill at the contest, Szeth dashed forward and attacked downward with an overhand blow, trying to hit the Shardbearer’s helm. The man ducked, going down on one knee, letting Szeth’s Blade cleave empty air.

Szeth leaped backward as the Shardbearer swung upward with his Blade, slicing into the ceiling. Szeth didn’t own a set of Plate himself, and didn’t care to. His Lashings interfered with the gemstones that powered Shardplate, and he had to choose one or the other.

As the Shardbearer turned, Szeth sprinted forward across the ceiling. As expected, the Shardbearer swung again, and Szeth leaped to the side, rolling. He came up from his roll and flipped, Lashing himself to the floor again. He spun to land on the ground behind the Shardbearer. He slammed his Blade into his opponent’s open back.

Unfortunately, there was one major advantage Plate offered: It could block a Shardblade. Szeth’s weapon hit solidly, causing a web of glowing lines to spread out across the back of the armor, and Stormlight began to leak free from them. Shardplate didn’t dent or bend like common metal. Szeth would have to hit the Shardbearer in the same location at least once more to break through.

Szeth danced out of range as the Shardbearer swung in anger, trying to cut at Szeth’s knees. The tempest within Szeth gave him many advantages— including the ability to quickly recover from small wounds. But it would not restore limbs killed by a Shardblade.
This is a loving boss battle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If you turn off the HUD in a game, does it stop being a game for you?

That’s an action scene. Action scenes are not inherently video gamey.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s an action scene. Action scenes are not inherently video gamey.
No poo poo they aren't, which is why his video-gamey treatment of them is so conspicuous.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

No poo poo they aren't, which is why his video-gamey treatment of them is so conspicuous.

Well could you post it then, as that scene is not a great example of that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

That scene is commonly used as an egregious example of how some of his poo poo reads like video games. And it does. He's gotten much better, but he still has this power-up->boss fight vibe from time to time.

And this is coming from someone who enjoys his books.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tahirovic posted:

Some more Skyward chat, because this technical book/genre talk is boring and a bit pointless in this thread.

Did anyone else think that the big secret might be that the aliens in space are actually fabricated to keep the military dictatorship in power? It felt a bit Brave New World / 1984ish to me.

did you... not finish the book?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

That scene is commonly used as an egregious example of how some of his poo poo reads like video games. And it does. He's gotten much better, but he still has this power-up->boss fight vibe from time to time.

And this is coming from someone who enjoys his books.

I guess I just don’t see it, it just reads like generic action scene to me. The action scenes have never been a favorite but I always found the video game complaint really poorly thought out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I also strongly dispute that Sanderson can only write world building. What kind of problems do people have with his plotting for example? I found most of this pretty good.

And while he sometimes has problems with writing characters, it's by no means uniform. Hrathen form Elantris was really well written imho. Wax and Wayne are a fun duo, and I think his writing on Kaladin is a pretty good way to portrait a (clinically) depressed character.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's true, but this is rather the exception than the rule.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tahirovic posted:

Uh, what is happening above the debris field gets explained or at least shown in this book, you should read on if you haven't hit the part yet (which you obviously haven't).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I always thought the more accurate criticism of his action is it can drag a bit. The posted fight is more an example of that then the silly video game comparison.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

You're playing dumb, right? The discrete, fixed moves like Lashing, the items that function according to explicit, constant mechanics and are described in disconnected snippets like entries in an inventory, the "this happened, then this happened, then this happened" monotone narration that even replicates the dispassionate perspective of a video game's camera... I couldn't write a better parody if I tried. It's amazingly sterile.

Proteus Jones posted:

If he's improved, fair enough. And I wasn't aware that this was such a go-to case; I only knew it from being interested in Stormlight, reading the free prologue on Tor's website, and no longer being interested in Stormlight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure you know what a video game is frankly.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't even tell if you're baiting me or not at this point, but if I transcribed myself playing Ocarina of Time, it would read identically.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If he's improved, fair enough. And I wasn't aware that this was such a go-to case; I only knew it from being interested in Stormlight, reading the free prologue on Tor's website, and no longer being interested in Stormlight.

It's pretty infamous in that regard. He's set up his rules for how magic works in Stormlight here, and it's never again this video gamey in the rest of the books. I think he's even on record that he regrets writing it this way in what's basically the first real scene of the series.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You're playing dumb, right? The discrete, fixed moves like Lashing, the items that function according to explicit, constant mechanics and are described in disconnected snippets like entries in an inventory, the "this happened, then this happened, then this happened" monotone narration that even replicates the dispassionate perspective of a video game's camera... I couldn't write a better parody if I tried. It's amazingly sterile.

yeah that scene isn't even representative of way of kings let alone any other book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I can't even tell if you're baiting me or not at this point, but if I transcribed myself playing Ocarina of Time, it would read identically.

I just thought you were baiting me really but this comparison is one a lot of people make and frankly it’s baffling. I guess nerds are gonna compare it to what they know but it always seemed a stretch to me.