Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in games but figured it fit here better. I couldn't find a thread dedicated to these types of games and wondered if people still really play them

I know a lot of us play video games to simulate sports but when I was growing up we used to play sports games with dice and cards. Stuff like Strat-O-Matic, Statis Pro and APBA used to do all this stuff before computers took it all over. I recently stumbled across an old football board game I had called Paydirt! that me and my friends used to play to death. You could finish a game in about in hour and each team had it's own chart based on thier strengths and weaknesses so, say, the 86 Bears or the 78 Steelers would just crush on defense while the 84 Dolphins and 81 49ers could really move the ball on offense.

I found an updated version of this game made by a computer dude that really took the math and probabilities to a new level so I checked it out. Felt like a mid life crisis decision.

A few of my other favorites were Start-O-Matic Baseball and Basketball, a baseball game called Pursue the Pennant that used three d10 to calculate results based on players batting, fielding and pitching averages that was damned near perfect and a game called Statis Pro Football that cards for every NFL player and was the only football board game I ever found that actually rated offensive linemen and made them a big part of the game.

These games were basically RPG's for nerds who were into sports but who weren't jocks or athletes and functioned in a lot ways like D&D and stuff like that. You got to roll dice and hit home runs or throw passes! I know they have sort of a cult following now but I wondered if there were things like Strat-O-Matic goon leagues or anything or if anyone was interested in the topic.

So that's my OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I just bought the desktop version of Strat for football and am a little overwhelmed after growing up playing the tabletop version. No idea if anyone plays leagues or anything and I only have whatever season the base game comes with. I tried teaching so many friends to play the tabletop game and only one or two buddies ever picked it up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I'll have to take a look at these.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Most of these types of games have been taken over by computer versions but I still like the visceral feel of the dice and cards. Video games are fun but prone to exploits and super dependent on reflexes, money plays and exploits. I like that the chart and dice game boil everything to strategy (and some luck).

Hard to find players though. Thin.king about trying a meetup group

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
Where is a good place to find these baseball board games? I want to get one for my father in law for Christmas but never know which sites are legit or not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Slothass posted:

Where is a good place to find these baseball board games? I want to get one for my father in law for Christmas but never know which sites are legit or not.

Board Game Geek has reputable links. Strat-o-Matic.com, Data Driven Football, APBA are all legit. Amazon of course. Some game stores and even places like Target and WalMArt carry some of them

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I have this which can accurately predict the outcome of any Football game:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athanatos posted:

I have this which can accurately predict the outcome of any Football game:

oh hell yeah I remember having this

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I picked up a baseball board game called Bottom of the 9th. It's pretty fun! There are character cards with different traits for pitching or batting. There's dice, there's a rock-paper-scissor mental game to the pitching, and there's a speed roll-off mechanic with shouting.

When there's contact made, the two players immediately start rolling dice rapid fire. Whoever rolls a 6 first shouts "out" or "safe" and yes, you can shout the wrong one, and yes, it counts.

A majority of the gameplay comes from the two players putting down two chips. One labeled high/low, the other is inside/away. Every pitcher has a specialty pitch, say low and inside, that when thrown gives them some advantage. The batter might think he's going for that and puts his chips down as low and away. If he gets one or both right, now HE gets an advantage. I'm probably not doing the best job of explaining it, but it scratches some sort of itch for me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Does anyone know where to buy Strat-O-Matic in Canada? It looks like I can't ship it to Canada on Amazon, but I can on the Strat-O-Matic website. I am just wondering if there's a place in Canada, just to save on the shipping cost.

Also, I am a bigger fan of hockey, but it looks like the baseball version is probably a better board game. Is this true?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Does anyone know where to buy Strat-O-Matic in Canada? It looks like I can't ship it to Canada on Amazon, but I can on the Strat-O-Matic website. I am just wondering if there's a place in Canada, just to save on the shipping cost.

Also, I am a bigger fan of hockey, but it looks like the baseball version is probably a better board game. Is this true?

Strat-O-Matic Basketball is my favorite of all games. The hockey is surprisingly good and similar to the basketball game. The baseball is good too and somewhat of a staple but Pursue the Pennant is better. No idea about the Canada availability but there's a lot of used games like this on ebay.

try boardgame geek too

Hobby stores and even sometimes Target or Walmart has these games

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Oh boy, time to talk about my all-time favorite CCG, MLB Showdown!

Packs were randomized, but basically since your "team" was based around point-buy, you still needed commons and guys with low-point value to fill out your roster. It played remarkably similar to a real baseball game, too:

Pitcher would roll 1d20, adding his control. He was trying to beat the batter's On-Base Number.

Whether he beat it or not, batter would then roll 1d20 and either use the pitcher's results table (on Pedro) or the batter's results table (on Barry). Play is just actual baseball. There were lefty/righty adjustments and substitutions, the whole nine (innings).

There was even a separate deck for "instants" (wizards of the coast, remember) that let you mess with the game.

Anyone else remember this? It's amazingly cheap now to get old cards, and fans have been making fan-made cards ever since.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So I think I only played it once but my dad had a baseball game that had a lot of cards and a pachinco like set up? I can barely remember it...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So I think I only played it once but my dad had a baseball game that had a lot of cards and a pachinco like set up? I can barely remember it...

Was it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyIp7HtqLg

I think I know what you're talking about but the one I posted isn't what I remember

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I bought Baseball Highlights 2045 (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/151022/baseball-highlights-2045) a few weeks ago but haven’t had the opportunity to play it yet. has anyone else played?

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Bard Maddox posted:

I bought Baseball Highlights 2045 (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/151022/baseball-highlights-2045) a few weeks ago but haven’t had the opportunity to play it yet. has anyone else played?

My girlfriend and I like it a lot, though it leads to lots of frustrated moments because she doesn't actually like baseball and I have to hold her hand through the baserunning rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've been messing around with the solitaire system in Data Driven Football and really can't recommend it enough to football fans.

It's pretty easy to pick up and has advanced rules once you get past the basic game if you feel like getting complicated. It strikes a strong balance between luck and strategy and, while amazingly realistic, has enough variation for some wild outliers as well. A game takes about an hour and every one feels different. Teams reflect real life strengths and weaknesses but no matter what teams are playing, you always feel like you have a fighting chance ( I haven't tried Cleveland yet though).

Everything is based on probabilities and actual outcomes throughout an entire regular season, all weighted versus formations, chance and likelihood of results. The guy maps every actual play from a season and assigns the yardages to various plays, sets and dice numbers.

http://www.datadrivenfootball.com/

• Locked thread