Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Torquemadras posted:

Man, I love how the Enigmatic Gale causes such incredibly exaggerated gasps of horror wherever the name is heard, solely on the basis of how brutally he owns people. He's basically the ultimate hustler of wuxia

Also, feeling bad for poor, mass-murdering Princess of Cruelty. :( She's got an A+ win lined up, against two improbably powerful badasses, and then fate just keeps snatching things away from her. I REALLY hope she doesn't just die pointlessly at some point, she's unexpectedly entertaining.

I think there was more to that final scene than just the cop mentioning Enigmatic Gale. The lighting change implied that the cop has some kind of interrogation powers. The way that scene was shot and directed was awesome though.

Speculation: the monk is a demon but doesn't know it for some reason. Maybe his soul was cleansed or taken away and he doesn't remember it. I can't think of a better explanation for why Rou Fuyo goes after him so relentlessly.

I'm also wondering why he says things like "I believe it was divine providence that allowed me to live" when he was clearly intentionally dodging attacks.

Princess of Cruelty is going to be a swerve. We're all supposed to think she's going to cave to the pink sword but there will be a twist of some kind.

I need to go back and watch that episode again. It was really dense. So much happened and I probably missed some important subtleties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Only the Enigmatic Gale could cause someone to have a seizure whenever they hear his name.

And the Monk is very much a wild card. We know his deal, but despite that, we really don’t know how things are going to play out.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is once again the underrated show of the season. I wish more people watched it. It’s one of the best shows lately.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RussellLatshaw/status/1059529224925499392

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like how all it took was a single exchange and then Shang immediately understood what vapey was up to this time.

Also Lang is two for two on good instincts, poor decisions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm a week behind but I like how Lang's big solo vs. the Dragon was the theme from the first season. So now I have proper lyrics to it instead of the silly one's I put into it.

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR MISO SOUP,
STEP ON THE REEDS, AND CROSS THE ROOM
GRAB ALL YOUR KEYS AND GET A SAND TAN
WOAH-OAH AH OAH AH AH OH
WHAT CAN YOU SAY-AY!?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Thinking about it, Lang could also be seen as one big inside joke - especially how he was upgraded from mascot to actual character...

He kinda feels like an extremely genre-savvy character who does not actually know it's genre he's thinking of, doesn't he?

His intuitive judgements are something he explicitly cannot explain, yet he immediately follows them with extreme prejudice. And so far, it all reads like an exaggerated show watcher reaction. "Oh wow, a silvertongued conman prettyboy who always gives vague bullshit answers, WHY DON'T YOU JUST KILL HIM NOW HE'S OBVIOUSLY EVIL", or "Look at that, someone who superficially reads like an anime nihilist, JUST KILL HIM MAN THOSE GUYS ALWAYS TURN OUT EVIL".

It's funny how the character who existed before outside of the franchise does all those genre-savvy, extremely impatient (and possibly wrong) things, yet never breaks kayfabe...

I... I hope he keeps doing that forever, to Shang's never-ending despair

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My wife and I were trying to figure out what it is that motivates Hunting Fox such that Enigmatic Gale can gently caress him over and crush him. We think it's a combination of self-importance, greed, and "hunting" people down by letting everyone else do the hard work and then taking all the credit, among other things.

My wife thinks that Enigmatic Gale is going to set things up such that he captures Shou Fu Kan, obtains the sword index, turns them in to the local police to take the credit away from Hunting Fox, then make sure Hunting Fox is completely disgraced, possibly to the point of being hunted down by the Seiyuu empire. THE HUNTER BECOMES THE HUNTED and all that.

I think it's brilliant and my wife is brilliant. I'm not toxxing for it or anything but I think she's at least on the right track.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I think it'll be significantly simpler than that.

I mean, he ordered the death of a village of people that were possessed and not of their own will.
And then he teamed up with the perpetrator who had possessed them.
And he's in Dong Li, a significantly different place than Xie You.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lin Xue pulled a 'congratulations you're a criminal in this country and I'm your hunter. oh by the way I'm also the number one most wanted. funny how that works.'

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Hell, he might even make it ironic and have it so that when Hunting Fox tries to expose Lin in a climactic scene, it ends up making himself look like the person who's pretending to be an officer of the law.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I want Hunting Fox to totally own Enigmatic Gale. Just completely pull his pants down

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I want Hunting Fox to totally own Enigmatic Gale. Just completely pull his pants down

That's Shang's job.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Knowing ling he's already 10 steps ahead and he's been laying down the foundation to accuse fox of being the enigmatic gale

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Knowing ling he's already 10 steps ahead and he's been laying down the foundation to accuse fox of being the enigmatic gale

This is amazing and I love it. You guys rule and this thread rules.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's all assuming Lin's plan goes off without any hitches. The Hunting Fox already knows his deal, and more importantly we the viewers already know his deal, so I can only assume the Hunting Fox will actually play Lin in the mid run and force him to switch up his game entirely to win in the long run.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I have to keep repeating this but everyone knew what Lin's deal was in season 1 and they still got owned in the end. Knowing it just makes you more vulnerable because it makes you think you have a leg up on him

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have to keep repeating this but everyone knew what Lin's deal was in season 1 and they still got owned in the end. Knowing it just makes you more vulnerable because it makes you think you have a leg up on him

That's what I was thinking too. It doesn't matter what the chief of police or whatever tells Hunting Fox next episode. Enigmatic Gale is basically a trickster god and will prevail with minor setbacks. Major setbacks (like not knowing that the magic sword in S1 imprisoned a demon or that Bones of Creation would be willing to die to counter-troll Gale) will be fixed by Shou Fu Kan or someone else like Rou Fuyo or possibly both.

I mean, we know Death King is currently stomping his way towards Dong Li right now and will be wreaking havoc all over the place once he gets there and someone will need to finally kill him. Plus whatever happens when the pink sword is finally unsheathed will need to be dealt with.

I hope fat cheeks guy from the movie makes a cameo and fulfills his promise to repay the favor to Shou Fu Kan too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Welp.
:derp:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp indeed

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
So the sword is basicly heroin, one taste is enough. Welp indeed. Our Heroine with a Heroin Sword

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

C-Can I ship them?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder if the plot is they need to figure out how to convince the monk to help fight Seven Blasphemous Deaths because he's the only one who can completely ignore its mind powers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh. I didn't occur to me Lin could switch targets: the sword speaks, it's evil, and it's incredibly prideful. The perfect target for him!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spend half the episode thinking about how lin is going to try to gently caress Fox only to have Fox mind worfed by aoi Yuki.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm sure her good friend the monk will save Xie, surely everything will be fine.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

I wonder if the plot is they need to figure out how to convince the monk to help fight Seven Blasphemous Deaths because he's the only one who can completely ignore its mind powers.

This is probably true but two things:

Shou Fu Kan already imprisoned the sword before so I see no reason why he can't do it again.

Also, the sword can promise the monk the answers he seeks. Whether or not he will fall for it remains to be seen. I think he's immune too but we'll see.

Also yeah I think Enigmatic Gale has a new target and it will be awesome to see what he does, or if he's going to get owned.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Well, things are certainly happening now. :stare:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I didn't expect that. Of all the things that could happen when someone drew the sword that was not what I expected. I was thinking less mind control more explosions.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how Lin outsmarts a demonic vampire sword. This was a very good episode, and I didn't see Xiao being broken by the sword so quickly. So much for taking that sword.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Elephant Ambush posted:

Shou Fu Kan already imprisoned the sword before so I see no reason why he can't do it again.
I'm guessing Shang at one point wielded the sword. It eventually relaxed it's control over him just enough to seal it away. So now it knows better and he couldn't do that again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm catching up on last week before I watch the current episode and I love the blatant lie of "If you just stopped responding to me, I'd leave you alone."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Today's episode was pretty good and I genuinely said "welp that's one way of solving loose threads" during one of the scenes

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I like that the Hunting Fox got a genuine leg up on the Enigmatic Gale, but Ling immediately rolls with the punch. No doubt this is renewing his interest.

Even with Seven Blasphemous Deaths, The Princess of Cruelty remains the underdog of this season.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Great episode again.

also, can someone with gif powers make a gif of hunting fox pushing his glasses up at ~08:37 in the latest ep (thunderbolt fantasy s2e08), and his laugh at 10:49 to. Hunting Fox is just so Gif-able.

EDIT: already got one:

https://twitter.com/queuebae/status/1064519066164084738

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 19, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Captain_duck posted:

Great episode again.

also, can someone with gif powers make a gif of hunting fox pushing his glasses up at ~08:37 in the latest ep (thunderbolt fantasy s2e08), and his laugh at 10:49 to. Hunting Fox is just so Gif-able.

EDIT: already got one:

https://twitter.com/queuebae/status/1064519066164084738

I can't believe how this season genuinely added nothing but great characters. Princess of Cruelty and Hunting Fox are both amazing. I kinda want the Princess to escape the sword eventually...

Also, man, Lin must be getting absolutely giddy with excitement by now. It's gonna be reaaaaally interesting how the show will deal with the fact that Lin is an ultra swordmaster above the level of last season's big bad. Hunting Fox is gonna stumble across that one eventually. What then? While it gave Lin technically the victory last season, it certainly didn't satisfy him; and I doubt it would this time either, if Fox should manage to push Lin that far. THAT moment might just be the most important point for both characters in this season (IF it happens), and I really hope we don't just get a repeat, or a lame copout.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Urobuchi's uncle told me Princess of Cruelty lives at the end and marries Di Kong to retire to a life of peace and quiet, where she atones for her sins by working as a wandering apothecary. And uh she adopts a cute dog, I guess :colbert:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theowulv posted:

I'm guessing Shang at one point wielded the sword. It eventually relaxed it's control over him just enough to seal it away. So now it knows better and he couldn't do that again.

I figured he just stabbed whoever was wielding it with a fencepost or whatever, exploded their face then threw the sword in the scroll

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Torquemadras posted:

I can't believe how this season genuinely added nothing but great characters. Princess of Cruelty and Hunting Fox are both amazing. I kinda want the Princess to escape the sword eventually...

Also, man, Lin must be getting absolutely giddy with excitement by now. It's gonna be reaaaaally interesting how the show will deal with the fact that Lin is an ultra swordmaster above the level of last season's big bad. Hunting Fox is gonna stumble across that one eventually. What then? While it gave Lin technically the victory last season, it certainly didn't satisfy him; and I doubt it would this time either, if Fox should manage to push Lin that far. THAT moment might just be the most important point for both characters in this season (IF it happens), and I really hope we don't just get a repeat, or a lame copout.

I don't think that's likely; Birdy's M.O. is about humiliating people into oblivion, and he only whooped rear end on Goth Gilgamesh because he felt that his fighting ability is what made him supreme in the world.

An appropriately ironic fate for Foxy would probably be... I dunno, getting framed and becoming a fugitive himself?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Urobuchi's uncle told me Princess of Cruelty lives at the end and marries Di Kong to retire to a life of peace and quiet, where she atones for her sins by working as a wandering apothecary. And uh she adopts a cute dog, I guess :colbert:

This but replace Di Kong with the Seven Blasphemous Deaths. Di, meanwhile, is taken under the wing of Lin, who instructs him in the deeper mysteries of the art of 'y u so mad tho?' when he's not thinking up ways to gatecrash Shang and Lang's honeymoon.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 20, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think that's likely; Birdy's M.O. is about humiliating people into oblivion, and he only whooped rear end on Goth Gilgamesh because he felt that his fighting ability is what made him supreme in the world.

An appropriately ironic fate for Foxy would probably be... I dunno, getting framed and becoming a fugitive himself?

Oh, I don't think Lin would resort to swordfighting against Fox because he'd want to. It could very well be that he's just letting Fox think he's got him beat, only to trick him in the end in a highly ironic reversal of fates, etc. etc. etc. But the thing is, I think the Fox has been built up too much to be just another of Lin's trolling victims. That might just be wishful thinking; I'd just like the show to do something new with his character. Just call it a hunch, I think Shang might actually be the one taking him down in the end - Fox just cannot seem to deal with his attitude... ("You have nowhere to run now, ohohoho" "Yeah, and you know I'm super badass and about to beat you up, what exactly did your stupid trick get you" "...n-n-nonetheless!!!")

Also, why bother with the obvious target, when there's a much more awesome one? I want to see Lin out-troll Blasphemous Death! Breaking the ego of an eldritch abomination like that has GOTTA be amazing, and we just had him deliver a little speech about how ego and self-awareness make anything a fair target.

Calling it. But everything I called in S1 was incredibly wrong, sooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still can't believe i never caught the wooden thunk whenever shang used his sword in s1. the actual swords didn't sound anything like it!