Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pureed soups can double as ice packs for the rest. If it were me with my tastes, I'd go:

Tamales with avocado soup and tortilla chips
Cuban sandwich pressed using the hotel clothes iron
Red beans and rice and an okra pickle salad
Hummus and roasted eggplant on pita or lavash
Pho (freeze only broth)
Soba noodles (can be eaten cold)

I'd also honestly get lazy some weeks and do pb&js, or go to restaurants with big bang for your buck and stretch that over many meals.

If you want a fresh greens salad you can always buy lettuce at a store right before going to your hotel day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Annath posted:

Any thoughts? I'll eat literally anything, I like to cook, and I'm trying to be healthy about it.

Pasta sauces, stews, big hearty soups, all freeze well. If it was me, I'd make up a big pot of chilli, a pot of pasta sauce, and a pot of soup ( a nice spicy beef broth for faux pho). Freeze into 8-12 oz servings. Then, the day before you leave, make noodles, drain and refrigerate in 8oz servings. Get some heat-and-eat packets of rice. Bring along some condiments, and you're set. The frozen stuff will stay pretty well frozen in a cooler bag, and keep everything else cold. When you want to eat, pick a starch and a sauce. Noodles and beef broth is faux pho, add sriracha and soy sauce to taste. Mix chilli and rice, or noodles, rice, and cheese for chilli Mac.

Pack some fruits and veggies for sides and snacks, and you're set.

Breakfast depends on what you like. If you want breakfast sandwiches, those little breakfast sandwich makers work pretty well, my dad uses his weekly. Just need to be plugged in. Just pack eggs, pre-cooked bacon or sausage (you can pre cook it yourself), cheese slices, oil spray, and English muffins.

This instant oatmeal is also pretty good, I mix in my own dried fruits and stuff, or jam. https://www.target.com/p/better-oats-revolution-steel-cut-oats-maple-brown-sugar-oatmeal-10ct/-/A-14770195

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 12, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think rice is a great option for packed lunches. It doesn't care about getting soggy (like bread) and goes well with a lot of different stuff. Stews, sauces, whatever - you can have it with rice, even if it's not meant for it. Taco filling is a good example; there's nothing saying you HAVE to have it with tortillas.

Stir fries and other Asian cooking does well, I think, because you can make enough for several days worth and throw it all in one container.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Speaking of rice, how do you store it do it doesn't get hard and weird in the fridge?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Mason jar salads work really well too and most of the recipes only make 4 salads, so you get to have a treat day. Maybe take some of those for variety?

I used to keep them in the fridge at work and pull them an hour before I wanted to eat them so the oil could warm up. They should do fine in a cooler all day with an ice pack, especially a frozen soup ice pack.

I think my favorite was (starting at the bottom layer) balsamic vinaigrette, diced apples (nestled in the dressing so they don't brown), blue cheese, chopped pecans, and mixed greens. Taco/southwest ones are good too-- avocado & sour cream sauce, black beans, chicken if I remembered to cook it, roasted sweet potatoes (mine are usually steam-in-bag from Target), diced bell peppers, cabbage & carrot slaw. (Sometimes rices goes in the taco one.)

These were super popular a few years back so there are a ton of recipe collector blog posts so you can find ones that work for you. A good rule of thumb is dressing + veggies or fruit + grain/legume+ possible cheese + greens.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Beast Pussy posted:

Speaking of rice, how do you store it do it doesn't get hard and weird in the fridge?

Ideally, it should be sealed so it doesn't dry out.

If you heat it up in the microwave, try adding a splash of water and cover so it re-steams a little (but not too much or it will be soggy on the bottom).

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Annath posted:

2. I'm in hotels, most of which don't have more than a microwave so no cooking on site.
I used to have a bag of cous cous in my desk at work. You can take some sort of protein and a bit of veg that's been chopped pretty small and cook the cous cous and veg together. I also used to pimp my cup noodles with finely-sliced veg that heated through in the same time it took for the noodles to soak. If you take some sort of container that holds hot water then those two things can be pretty decent meals if you have some good flavouring with the carb aspect - a good blob of SE Asian curry paste with the noodles and whatever you fancy for the cous cous. I actually quite like Sazón (saffron variety I think) sachets on cous cous for a super low effort flavouring.

And of course both noodles and cous cous go really well in cold salads that you could assemble beforehand with a bottle of dressing to add later. Speaking of noodle salads, japchae is drat delicious no matter what temperature. The noodles you use turn really satisfyingly chewy/crunchy when they go cold.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

totalnewbie posted:

Ideally, it should be sealed so it doesn't dry out.

If you heat it up in the microwave, try adding a splash of water and cover so it re-steams a little (but not too much or it will be soggy on the bottom).

Awesome, I'll try that. Thanks

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Beast Pussy posted:

I’ve never found a storage solution that keeps it from drying out, but it either makes good fried rice, or yeah what the dude above said about adding a splash of water & resteaming it

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Curries and Saags are also the bomb for making, sealing, and reheating.

If you're living out of a hotel room, I cannot recommend highly enough getting lots of vegetables in your diet, especially greens. I've spent time on the road, and the beef-cheese-potato diet will only work for a couple of days before my body is complaining for lack of vegetables.

Saags (spinach, collard, or mustard green based curries) are great for this, and easy to make with a crock-pot. Once they're done, either put them into zip-lock bags, or use a vacuum sealer and freeze them. I will normally add in some chick-peas and a meat to get a good starch and protein boost going as well. Best of all they're really cheap to make as most of the components for one come from the freezer aisle. My recipe is below.

I like the idea of the mason jar salads as well, but they tend to get wilty after a couple of days. My suggestion is that for the ones you want to keep for 3+ days, look to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts as your "green" base. I personally would use them shredded to a "slaw" like consistency, but that's up to you. THey'll hold up and stay firm and crunchy on Wed/Thurs/Fri of your trip, and they're way more nutrient dense than lettuce to boot.

Generic Saag Recipe (Modify as Desired)

1 Large Onion, (either chopped fine or thin sliced depending on how you like your onion, texturally)
1 lb of frozen greens (Your pick between collard, spinach, and mustard)
2 cups of soaked chick-peas (aka garbanzo beans - If you soak a cup of dried chick peas, you'll get about 2 cups.)
1/2 lb of whatever meat you feel like using, cut into bite-sized bits
1 can of crushed tomatoes (~10 to 12oz) WITH the liquid
1 TBS minced Garlic
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp black or white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sweet curry powder
3 cardamom pods
4 cloves (or 1/4 tsp ground clove)
2 Bay leaves
1/4 cup of low sodium broth (chicken, vegetable, whatever)
3 TBS olive oil

Dutch Oven or a non-stick pot with a good lid
Wooden Spoon

So, this is a pretty forgiving recipe for the most part. I'll make a few notes here though: Any meat you want to use will work. I find that the salt in the tomatoes is plenty for me, you may add a little more if you want though. You may opt to use a can of chick peas instead of dried, but be sure to drain them completely, and give them a good rinse in a colander.

1) Prep your ingredients. Chop the onion as you like it. Thaw and drain the greens. Drain the chick-peas and give them a quick rinse. Toss the chunks of meat in the curry powder until they are evenly coated. In a small bowl, put the rest of the spices, except for the garlic.
2) Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven until it shimmers, reduce heat to medium.
3) Add in dried spices while stirring with a wooden spoon, keep moving it around until they get nice and aromatic. Then add the garlic and do the same.
4) Add in the onion and keep it moving until it starts to get translucent. Then add in the meat and stir it until it lightly browns.
5) Add in the greens, and incorporate them fully. Keep stirring until they get nice and hot.
6) Add in the crushed tomatoes, and the broth. Bring to a boil, then cut back to a low simmer.
7) Put the lid on the pot, only opening it every 10 to 15 minutes to give it a stir. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
8a) If you are using dried and soaked chick peas, add them at the 30 minute mark, and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
8b) If you are using canned, rinsed, and drained chick peas, add them at the 45 minute mark, and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
9) Continue to simmer until a chick pea is of the desired consistency you'd like it to be. Less time for firmer, longer, for softer.
10) Cut the heat, allow to cool, and then portion out into the container of your choice. Freeze any excess for later reheating.

Serve with rice, fried potatoes, or straight up.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey. I'm gonna make enchiladas for dinner with the chicken breasts I have in the fridge. Obviously I could just roast them and shred them, but I feel like I could do something to make them more tender and flavorful. I was thinking I could cut them into chunks and simmer them in bacon fat on the stove for a couple hours til they fall apart, essentially confiting them. That makes sense, right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

breasts generally go from moist and delicious at 155ish to tough and poo poo if they're cooked beyond. You'll want the other cuts to stew them up for hours.
If you have sous vide that's the best way to make a shredable, delicious chicken breast. Otherwise due to their lack of connective tissue just cook them to about 155, let rest for a few minutes, then shred. You could fry the whole breast in the bacon fat which would be good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poop dood posted:

Hey. I'm gonna make enchiladas for dinner with the chicken breasts I have in the fridge. Obviously I could just roast them and shred them, but I feel like I could do something to make them more tender and flavorful. I was thinking I could cut them into chunks and simmer them in bacon fat on the stove for a couple hours til they fall apart, essentially confiting them. That makes sense, right?

gonna be dry OP

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah I thought that’s what I’d hear. Ah well. Glad I asked.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

Do you mean hard and weird while it's still cold? That's typically caused by retrogradation (see https://www.cooksillustrated.com/science/860-articles/story/word-of-the-week-retrogradation). Basically, when you cook rice the starch gelatinizes and takes on water and becomes nice and chewy instead of hard and crunchy. As it cools, the starch retrogrades and becomes a weird chalky texture. All you really need to do is to heat it sufficiently to re-gelatenize the starch and it should taste more like when you cooked it. So make sure you're re-heating it so it's nice and hot.

Interestingly I found an article when searching about this that indicates that rice cooked with salt re-gelatinizes better than rice cooked without salt. I'd take with with a grain of salt (what a horrible pun), but that's a fairly interesting finding. I usually cook mexican rice and it reheats very well, I'll have to compare that to plain rice to see if there's a difference.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

everyone, can I get some of your favourite beef stew recipes? the type you'd eat after a long day's walk, really hits you and fills you up.

I was thinking of this, but with some changes:

- 2 bay leaves
- some parsnips
- some celery
- some mushrooms (I love mushrooms but don't know if it will work well)
- some leeks
- some peas
- worcestershire sauce
along with everything else the recipe calls for. I'd have maybe 2 parsnips / celery, and one leek, and a handful of mushrooms, because my Instant Pot isn't massive and I always go overboard and have the thing full to the brim so it doesn't build pressure.

I was going to finish the stew with some homemade dumplings that have thyme mixed in them as well. does this get your seal of approval or no? I usually ladle out enough stew for three servings, put it into a separate pan, then put my dumplings into that and cook it with the lid on. I get better results than trying to put dumplings in the instant pot, they usually squish together and the saute function is either too low and doesn't cook them, or it's too high and burns flour on the bottom of the pan.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 13, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

everyone, can I get some of your favourite beef stew recipes? the type you'd eat after a long day's walk, really hits you and fills you up.

- 2 bay leaves
- some parsnips
- some celery
- some leeks
- some peas
- worcestershire sauce
along with everything else the recipe calls for. I'd have maybe 2 parsnips / celery, and one leek, and a handful of mushrooms, because my Instant Pot isn't massive and I always go overboard and have the thing full to the brim so it doesn't build pressure.

I was going to finish the stew with some homemade dumplings that have thyme mixed in them as well. does this get your seal of approval or no? I usually ladle out enough stew for three servings, put it into a separate pan, then put my dumplings into that and cook it with the lid on. I get better results than trying to put dumplings in the instant pot, they usually squish together and the saute function is either too low and doesn't cook them, or it's too high and burns flour on the bottom of the pan.

Sounds like a bit too much veg to me, also probably wait to add the peas until after pressure cooking or they’ll be gross. Dumplings sound good. I really love pearl onions with peas and baby potatoes in stew.

One technique to build real good flavor is to cook some chopped bacon in your pot, render the fat out until it’s a little crispy, then sear your protein in the fat. Pull it out, cook some onions, garlic, celery, and anchovy paste in the fat until the onions are soft, then deglaze with a half cup each of stock and wine or beer, plus soy sauce and Worcestershire. You boil all the liquid off now, then build a quick roux. Proceed as normal with a stew recipe of your choice.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What’s everyone’s favorite iteration of an instant pot? Asking for one for Christmas. My dude and I like cooking a lot and try to do bulk cooking, so I’m looking at an 8qt but don’t care about brand.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite iteration of an instant pot? Asking for one for Christmas. My dude and I like cooking a lot and try to do bulk cooking, so I’m looking at an 8qt but don’t care about brand.

Carey makes an electric canner that can not only do anything you'd do with an instant pot, but is also capable of pressure canning quart jars. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of only two electric pressure canners on the market and the only one with the vertical clearance for quart jars.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Sounds like a bit too much veg to me, also probably wait to add the peas until after pressure cooking or they’ll be gross. Dumplings sound good. I really love pearl onions with peas and baby potatoes in stew.

One technique to build real good flavor is to cook some chopped bacon in your pot, render the fat out until it’s a little crispy, then sear your protein in the fat. Pull it out, cook some onions, garlic, celery, and anchovy paste in the fat until the onions are soft, then deglaze with a half cup each of stock and wine or beer, plus soy sauce and Worcestershire. You boil all the liquid off now, then build a quick roux. Proceed as normal with a stew recipe of your choice.

aye, I'm going a bit wild with the veg, but I love veg and stew is a great way to get a bunch into my diet. I'd only be throwing a couple of each in, so it won't overcrowd the pot. I'll probably scrap the idea of mushrooms tbh. and yeah, I always add peas right at the end because of how quick they cook, though I've had really good luck in the past where I add peas at the start, and the instant pot does a real good job of keeping veg in a good state, they only turn to mush if I pressure cook them for ages.

definitely adding chopped bacon to this, I've had some sitting in the freezer that I've been meaning to use for a while.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When reheating rice, wet a paper towel and wrap it around the rice. It steams without getting soggy.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Stew Chat

I very rarely make a stew by an actual recipe. I mostly just look at what's on sale/what I have on hand and run with it. But here are things I like in a beef stew:

Rutabaga (a.k.a. Swedes if you're British)
Red wine is good, a stout/porter beer is better
If you want celery flavor without adding celery, use celery seed
Mushrooms are pro for this - good old white-button work just fine, crimini are ok too, portebella turn to slime, shitake are the best (rich flavor and they stay firm when cooked)
Gelatin is a great way to thicken the stew without adding extra carbs if you are into that - otherwise make a roux
Never feel bad about adding more vegetables

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh man, I love a good beef stew.

I make some seasoned flour, just mix in some ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and maybe some thyme, and toss my diced stew beef in it. Then brown the beef in an oiled, ripping hot (enameled) dutch oven til it just turns brown and crispy.

Add a little more oil if its dry, and saute diced onions (or shallots if you want even better flavor) til just turning golden, then add some garlic. After another 20-30 sec, de-glaze with any of: dark beer, red wine, beef stock, water :saddowns:.

Add the beef back, along with some bay leaves, fresh thyme, and any root vegetables you want. I use some combination of: parsnips, turnips, carrots, potatoes. Chop them to your preferred size, but I leave mine unpeeled.

Bring back to a simmer, then reduce to med-low and simmer covered until the beef and veg are tender.

Optionally, the secret ingredient I got from an old irish lady for making this with Guinness, is adding a handful of finely diced prunes about 30 minutes prior to completion. They should essentially dissolve into the stew, but they give it a lovely glossy shine, a bit of mouthfeel, and offset some of the bitterness of the beer without making the stew actually sweet. Although if you added a bunch of carrots too it can be a little sweet. I like it, but its not mandatory.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A problem I have with frying my beef before throwing it in the pressure cooker is the amount of moisture it releases. It ends up not getting a good maillard reaction because it's pretty much boiling itself rather than frying. how do I stop this from happening? I don't overcrowd the pan, and I fry in batches. I also pour off excess oil between batches, but it still releases so much water and makes a bubbly froth.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Qubee posted:

A problem I have with frying my beef before throwing it in the pressure cooker is the amount of moisture it releases. It ends up not getting a good maillard reaction because it's pretty much boiling itself rather than frying. how do I stop this from happening? I don't overcrowd the pan, and I fry in batches. I also pour off excess oil between batches, but it still releases so much water and makes a bubbly froth.

Hmm... well the pan needs to be nice and hot, and you really gotta be sure not to crowd it. I know you said you aren't, but that's the most likely culprit. Less meat means both less moisture being released per unit of time, and more open area for released moisture to evaporate off.

Also you don't need a lot of oil for the beef, maybe 1-2 Tbsp depending on how much beef you are cooking.

When I do mine, I am using a wide dutch oven, and cooking a few pieces of beef at a time (roughly 1.5inch cubes).

The thicker/more heat-retaining your cookware, the more wiggle room you have on the browning. Cast iron will retain heat like a motherfucker and wont care that you're dumping a bunch of cold beef into it, so you can use a little more. Steel or aluminum or something won't retain as much heat to keep the pan dry, so you gotta go a little slower.

Here's a tiny pic of an uncrowded pan:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Qubee posted:

Sear larger pieces and then cut them into bite sized pieces after you've got a good sear on the exterior. IIRC the extra surface area of "stew beef" sized pieces leads to more moisture loss, according to Kenji.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

turns out i'm a goof who is overcrowding his pan lol

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

When it comes to stew meat, yo don't have to be that concerned about crowding the pan imo. I just toss it in and not gently caress with it for like 10 minutes.

Everyone feels like they gotta keep poking and futzing with meat. Just toss it in and wait.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Veritek83 posted:

Sear larger pieces and then cut them into bite sized pieces after you've got a good sear on the exterior. IIRC the extra surface area of "stew beef" sized pieces leads to more moisture loss, according to Kenji.

I mean, you WANT some moisture loss, drying out the outer like 0.25mm is how the maillard reaction happens. You just want enough "hot pan" area to make that moisture evaporate instead of clinging to the meat pieces and turning into a braise.

Granted, just chucking it in and not bothering only reduces the quality a little, and is less hassle, so if you're strapped for time/patience its perfectly acceptable.

Also, searing big pieces and cutting it up sounds like dumb bullshit, you'll end up with pieces with unseared sides and thus uneven texture. I dunno what Kenji was smoking when/if he wrote that, but its whack.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Veritek83 posted:

Do this. For stew, you're really only searing for the sake of fond. No matter how beautiful of a sear you put on that meat, it's just going to dissolve off in the stew.

Another option is to sear the gently caress out of a few sacrificial pieces of meat, and just toss the rest of the pieces into the simmer unseared. I do this a lot with chili, or with any sauce that involves ground meat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, the serious eats shepherds pie recipe recommends you brown the gently caress outta half the meat and mix the other half in to cook through. Worked pretty well, imo.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Qubee posted:

- 2 bay leaves
- some parsnips
- some celery
- some leeks
- some peas
- worcestershire sauce

+ cow heels, 2 or 3, or 1; adds silkiness and flavor.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

wormil posted:

+ cow heels, 2 or 3, or 1; adds silkiness and flavor.

as much as I'd love to overcome my fear of dumb poo poo like ox tongue, ox tail and trotters, I just can't bring myself to eat them. my grandma made my dad something that had sheep's feet in a sort of cream, and he was slurping it all up, and my mum walked in, said "are those trotters?!" and my dad just happily nodded, and she walked right out. cultural divide between arab cuisine and english cuisine right there. me and my sisters were equally grossed out by it, but I couldn't help but sit and watch my dad eat it out of morbid curiosity.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you're making a stew/pressure cooking beef you only have to sear one side. You still get the browned flavor and have some nice fond to deglaze. Like when I'm making chili using chuck I'll sear maybe 1/4 and toss the rest in the pot.

Qubee posted:

as much as I'd love to overcome my fear of dumb poo poo like ox tongue, ox tail and trotters, I just can't bring myself to eat them. my grandma made my dad something that had sheep's feet in a sort of cream, and he was slurping it all up, and my mum walked in, said "are those trotters?!" and my dad just happily nodded, and she walked right out. cultural divide between arab cuisine and english cuisine right there. me and my sisters were equally grossed out by it, but I couldn't help but sit and watch my dad eat it out of morbid curiosity.

I don't know how tongue and tail are so disgusting when the English eat blood sausages and kidney. It's all good, habibi.

But for something a little interesting, mix like 1/4 of the chuck with beef short ribs and let the bones simmer with the stew. Secret best ingredient for chili, just as good for stew.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 13, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need to know how to make the ideal popcorn, in incredible detail. I'm not looking for flavorings or whatever, just technique.

Right now, I make it in a high-sided pan on the stove, using a hefty amount of avocado oil, heating the oil first to around ~400 and then adding popcorn, lidding it and shaking until done. There's enough room for the popcorn to move around in there.

Should I be adding the popcorn before heating or while it's already heated? What temperature should the pan be? Should I use a solid lid or a vented lid? What popcorn/oil ratio? Anything else I'm missing?

I still end up with a disproportionate amount of small, dense pieces, and too many half-popped ones. This seems to happen with both types of popcorn (mushroom and flowery kinds), white and yellow, and many different brands, from cheap-rear end dollar popcorn to the ten dollar ~artisinal~ kind.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need to know how to make the ideal popcorn, in incredible detail. I'm not looking for flavorings or whatever, just technique.

Right now, I make it in a high-sided pan on the stove, using a hefty amount of avocado oil, heating the oil first to around ~400 and then adding popcorn, lidding it and shaking until done. There's enough room for the popcorn to move around in there.

Should I be adding the popcorn before heating or while it's already heated? What temperature should the pan be? Should I use a solid lid or a vented lid? What popcorn/oil ratio? Anything else I'm missing?

I still end up with a disproportionate amount of small, dense pieces, and too many half-popped ones. This seems to happen with both types of popcorn (mushroom and flowery kinds), white and yellow, and many different brands, from cheap-rear end dollar popcorn to the ten dollar ~artisinal~ kind.

I have not tried avocado oil, so that's a variable I can't account for, but I've found the following to be helpful when making popcorn:

Kernels go into an unheated pan. They should, at most (and this for a tall pot) form a complete one kernel thick layer at the bottom of the pan.
Oil then goes in. I've gotten away with half-way covering the kernels, but just barely covering them seems to work a bit better.
Lid goes on the pot, pot goes on the burner, heat comes on (medium to high, depending on your stove and popcorn), and the pot gets continuously shaken, ideally from the start, but definitely from the moment there's any visible steam on the lid (assuming it's glass).
When the popping starts to slow down, I cut the heat if it's an electric stove and then wait until it's about 1 or 2 pops per second, and then move it off the heat completely, still shaking it. It's better to have some unpopped kernels than to burn your popcorn.
While it's still hot, you toss in powdered salt (I make mine with a mortar and pestle), and then shake it thoroughly with the lid on. If your pot is too full to get good agitation, you can transfer it into a bowl and then salt and toss.

I've found this to be successful in making anywhere between a couple cups and several gallons of popcorn at a time. If your pot isn't taller than its diameter, do not fill the bottom of the pot your first time trying this or you may have popcorn flow out into the burner.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Qubee posted:

This is not like that, I don't think, the heels melt away as they are all gelatin and marrow. When the soup cools it turns into jello. Wash in vinegar/water before cooking to diminish the muskiness. The flavor is not meaty but is definitely beef, hard to describe. But yeah it might not be for you if picky.
Edit, to clarify I'm making beef stock in the IP with the cow heels.

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 13, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Stews cooking, ended up adding celery, leek and mushrooms to it, along with the potatoes and peas. I am so disappointed in myself for not making stew with porter all this time, because 1) I discovered I really really like the taste of porter, wish I'd tried it sooner and 2) it makes the stew smell 10x better. I threw in oregano, thyme, parsley, a tiny hint of nutmeg (I love nutmeg) and 2 bay leaves. I also listened to Lawnie and added some bacon. A good dash of worcestershire went in too. I couldn't find any good turnips, there were a total of three in the veg aisle and all were bruised, or on the way to rotting. Wish I picked up a swede, but they're notoriously stubborn and refuse to get cut, so I left it out.

I think this may well be the best drat stew I've ever made, and I haven't even tasted it yet. Took me an hour just chopping everything and watching over the pan as I caramelized the onions and carrots. It smells incredible, and I might just have a few bowls without any dumplings, I bought a fresh loaf of bread from the bakers to break and dip into the sauce, so having no dumplings isn't too bad. I'll use dumplings to prop up tomorrow's leftovers, and maybe add some turnips. I also got beef from the butchers in large slabs, so searing it was easy and the flour really helped thicken the stew, so I won't have to use gelatine.

It was also really therapeutic not being so anal and uptight with chopping. I cut everything up really rustically, so I've got nice big chunks of carrot to bite into, and the potatoes are different shapes and sizes. Before, I'd cut everything so meticulously.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

whirly pop and im' serious