Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Man that UP Garage looks loving rad as hell, dang.

Meanwhile in boring ol' USA

Got the Jimnys out 'cause why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
They still make alto works? Awesome

UP garage? Awesome!

3Jimnys? Awesome and I hate you!

Landcruiser on the way to my house

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Man that UP Garage looks loving rad as hell, dang.

Meanwhile in boring ol' USA

Got the Jimnys out 'cause why not.

10/10 on that Jimny harem

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dang, I really like that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
There has been some chat in the chat thread about BG Mazdas. If I recall correctly there are a couple of stateside goons who love them. Well I if you're looking for a fun, unusual import I highly recommend the BG Astina. It's a 4 door, liftback with POP UP HEAD LIGHTS!

If that isn't enough for you, look out for a manual (natch) with the B5-DE engine. What a hoot! God I loved that car growing up. I never paid it much mind because we got so many more exciting Japanese imports in NZ around the time and always wanted more cylinders, more displacement and some forced induction. As a beater car, and the one I did most of my learning on, I couldn't have asked for more. Ours had wide rear end tires on it for some reason, like 205mm. It was the champion of stoplight racing, never beaten in the 60m. It had that great Mazda gearchange of course.

I'm sure my 10 years newer Corolla is more powerful but it's never once felt as fun, as planted, as chuckable or just as great to throw through a roundabout. Get one in the Black pearl we had and treasure it like I never did! I swear it revved to the moon!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Another clean Levorg.

Oh god why does the chrome strip not go all the way across it's killing me

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The Jimny in it's natural habitat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbAxW5sK-w

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I wish I had a reason to buy this:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

slothrop posted:

There has been some chat in the chat thread about BG Mazdas. If I recall correctly there are a couple of stateside goons who love them. Well I if you're looking for a fun, unusual import I highly recommend the BG Astina. It's a 4 door, liftback with POP UP HEAD LIGHTS!

If that isn't enough for you, look out for a manual (natch) with the B5-DE engine. What a hoot! God I loved that car growing up. I never paid it much mind because we got so many more exciting Japanese imports in NZ around the time and always wanted more cylinders, more displacement and some forced induction. As a beater car, and the one I did most of my learning on, I couldn't have asked for more. Ours had wide rear end tires on it for some reason, like 205mm. It was the champion of stoplight racing, never beaten in the 60m. It had that great Mazda gearchange of course.

I'm sure my 10 years newer Corolla is more powerful but it's never once felt as fun, as planted, as chuckable or just as great to throw through a roundabout. Get one in the Black pearl we had and treasure it like I never did! I swear it revved to the moon!

That is pretty cool. Per wikipedia it should be called the Familia Astina in Japan, not seeing any on JCD though, even in the history though I could be searching incorrectly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

haha this owns, the dude chuckling to himself as the red one keeps getting stuck, lmao

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Easily the second coolest car I have seen so far. A manual (from the sound of it) Corolla Wagon. 4wd (guessing at this) and turbo (could hear it). The thing is a super cool nuggets, can't believe Toyota never gave us this car.
That's a Toyota Caldina, which is basically one of the most common cars (Toyota Avensis) around here, just with the GT4 4WD running gear (Celica GT-Four or Alltrac or whatever it was called, and what the Project Binky guys are shoving into their Mini)

Europe didn't get those Accords either in AWD trim, but we didn't either get the V6 you Americans got in the TSX.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Heads up almost got hit with extra $122 fee at Savannah Port. They want you to apply online to pay fees so they don’t have to do it. Nice supervisor waived it but info could help someone else. No one mentioned anything about that first car I brought in.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

Heads up almost got hit with extra $122 fee at Savannah Port. They want you to apply online to pay fees so they don’t have to do it. Nice supervisor waived it but info could help someone else. No one mentioned anything about that first car I brought in.

ports usually waive the first fee (they assume its for military). after that you have to pay that fee. Tacoma waived the first then i had to pay 121 on the second two.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ports usually waive the first fee (they assume its for military). after that you have to pay that fee. Tacoma waived the first then i had to pay 121 on the second two.

They told me it would be $122 + 76 next time if I didn’t register at port authority site to get a bill and send a check next time. Just paid $76 today

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

With a 1995 date this is not one for the Americans, but there's a, um, basically new? sub 10km Jimny for sale.

Considering a bid. How much of a premium am I gonna need to win this one ya think? Low mileage JA11's have gone for under US$4k but maybe this one could be more.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2vCmc8Tg9gazmsO.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

With a 1995 date this is not one for the Americans, but there's a, um, basically new? sub 10km Jimny for sale.

Considering a bid. How much of a premium am I gonna need to win this one ya think? Low mileage JA11's have gone for under US$4k but maybe this one could be more.

Well, it can't be shipped to the USA so that should knock the price down. It's a non-USS auction so I'd guess the price could be shoved down even more. I dunno, there isn't anything specific about it that makes it show well, like bright decals or anything, and it isn't a convertible. I'm guessing it will go for under $3k. :c00l:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my subaru sambar is arriving in TX in the next few days. This is my first import being done as a proof of concept before I try for something bigger and more expensive like a twin turbo 300zx or an rx-7.

Do you guys usually pick it up in person at the docks or do you have a shipping service deliver it to your home?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

my subaru sambar is arriving in TX in the next few days. This is my first import being done as a proof of concept before I try for something bigger and more expensive like a twin turbo 300zx or an rx-7.

Do you guys usually pick it up in person at the docks or do you have a shipping service deliver it to your home?

I have them picked up. My Landcruiser was picked up today - it will be delivered to my driveway tomorrow for $280. It would cost me $100 to enter the port without a TWIC card - its really a no brainer unless you are close by and have your own transport. I am 7+ hours away from my port.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everdave posted:

I have them picked up. My Landcruiser was picked up today - it will be delivered to my driveway tomorrow for $280. It would cost me $100 to enter the port without a TWIC card - its really a no brainer unless you are close by and have your own transport. I am 7+ hours away from my port.

I didnt know about that extra fee. Are you using a local transporter or a larger nationwide one?
I too am about 7 hours away and would rather pay someone to do it.

I got a quote for 170, i hope it pans out and I get to be driving my tiny truck in 2-3 days

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 13, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I didnt know about that extra fee. Are you using a local transporter or a larger nationwide one?
I too am about 7 hours away and would rather pay someone to do it.

I got a quote for 170, i hope it pans out and I get to be driving my tiny truck in 2-3 days

I just use a girl a goon recommended. I text her and email
Some documents and she sources a driver with a Twic card and a price.

$170 sounds reasonable for a small truck.

Have you paid the boat company and paid the port and got a
Delivery order set up?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everdave posted:

I just use a girl a goon recommended. I text her and email
Some documents and she sources a driver with a Twic card and a price.

$170 sounds reasonable for a small truck.

Have you paid the boat company and paid the port and got a
Delivery order set up?

yeah i got it all paid so far. The delivery invoice specifically said no TWIC card needed. Maybe its smaller port with less security hurdles?

Do you mind sending me her info? Im definitely going to be importing a few more vehicles in the coming 12 months

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Picked up at Baltimore and needed no TWIC stuff. Signed in, gave them my paper work, grabbed the car and loaded up. Then drove out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah I don't pay any port fees at all at Jacksonville. I pay the HOEGH people to use their space at port which is 95 bucks each car, and pay my broker Henry (who owns) for his services and then I pay the driver that delivers the cars to me. Also it looks like Jacksonville is the absolute last stop in the USA for Hoegh ships.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I don't pay any port fees at all at Jacksonville. I pay the HOEGH people to use their space at port which is 95 bucks each car, and pay my broker Henry (who owns) for his services and then I pay the driver that delivers the cars to me. Also it looks like Jacksonville is the absolute last stop in the USA for Hoegh ships.

Lucky me then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Lucky me then.

It's why everdave has is cruiser already but I'm waiting on my Bongo and Rugger :mad:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Just depends on the ship. My vehicle is coming over on the Hoegh Trapper, which stops in Texas, Georgia (2 ports), Maryland, and New York before heading to Denmark.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Riller posted:

Just depends on the ship. My vehicle is coming over on the Hoegh Trapper, which stops in Texas, Georgia (2 ports), Maryland, and New York before heading to Denmark.

Makes sense on the different ship thing.
I had to skip a boat for my Acty and vert Jimny because it wasn't stopping at Jacksonville. Only 15 days added but still, a bummer!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

yeah i got it all paid so far. The delivery invoice specifically said no TWIC card needed. Maybe its smaller port with less security hurdles?

Do you mind sending me her info? Im definitely going to be importing a few more vehicles in the coming 12 months

PM me I’d be happy to.

Savannah port I just pay $76 to the port and I pay Hoegh their $8-10 (what it has been so far). At my
Port they give you 20 free days storage, but definitely have to have a TWIC or be with someone who does to enter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone paid attention to Evolution I prices? I can't seem to get a history of sales for Evolutions on JCD.
There is one on BAT in Canada right now that I was thinking about bidding on.

e: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mitsubishi-lancer-2/

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 15, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone tried getting motorcycles imported? Does the same 25 year thing apply or is it much earlier since they have looser emissions?

The paper I filled out for the truck just says "vehicle" so im thinking its the same as a car?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Didn't get it. Sold for US$7,603.02 :negative:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yikes thats a lot to be spending on a cheap car that old, but I can totally understand it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Wow that is pretty insane - more than my Landcruiser which I did tonight want to spend that much on! Speaking of which, got to my house tonight. It is freezing here and has been pouring down all day. First impressions it seems to be great. The interior is spotless (at best I can tell in the dark). Smells good. Runs good. Shifts good. It will be a miserable cold rain / snow day tomorrow try to get good pics and go on a long drive to his weekend.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Fauxtool posted:

yikes thats a lot to be spending on a cheap car that old, but I can totally understand it

Yeah it *is* a lot of money, but if you want a mint-condition Jimny from that era it really isn't that much money. The thing looks spotless and with so little mileage on it why not. I can't imagine that it's going anywhere for resale at that price, that has to be going to someone for personal use.

everdave posted:

Wow that is pretty insane - more than my Landcruiser which I did tonight want to spend that much on! Speaking of which, got to my house tonight. It is freezing here and has been pouring down all day. First impressions it seems to be great. The interior is spotless (at best I can tell in the dark). Smells good. Runs good. Shifts good. It will be a miserable cold rain / snow day tomorrow try to get good pics and go on a long drive to his weekend.

Wanna see that brown bomb

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Yeah it *is* a lot of money, but if you want a mint-condition Jimny from that era it really isn't that much money. The thing looks spotless and with so little mileage on it why not. I can't imagine that it's going anywhere for resale at that price, that has to be going to someone for personal use.

I did an inspection and it was "tip top" nothing wrong with it at all. Probably about as mint as one can get.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

I did an inspection and it was "tip top" nothing wrong with it at all. Probably about as mint as one can get.

It seems that when cars like that come up that's the price jump they demand. If it was a Jimny with just a hair bit more wear on it, a little bit more miles, it probably would have knocked the price down. The blue mint condition 89 Jimny we have is truly flawless and we didn't pay even 3 grand for it. But if it goes to super special ultra-low mileage then the price jumps a ton.

This Safari is like that:

The asking price when I saw this specific truck last year (!) started at like 9 gs. It's cool as hell but it's priced firmly in the heirloom sort of pricing. Although it would be pretty killer to buy it and start driving it everyday.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Wanna see that brown bomb

Incoming by the weekend. Took a few cool pics tonight but SA seems to be acting weird about letting me post.

A surprise: it has headlight washers. That’s a first for a vehicle I have owned. Everything I could check in the freezing cold rain after it got dropped off worked. Altimeter, all lights, locks and windows and wipers, adjustable suspension - obv did not test 4wd.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Incoming by the weekend. Took a few cool pics tonight but SA seems to be acting weird about letting me post.

A surprise: it has headlight washers. That’s a first for a vehicle I have owned. Everything I could check in the freezing cold rain after it got dropped off worked. Altimeter, all lights, locks and windows and wipers, adjustable suspension - obv did not test 4wd.

They use headlight washers instead of tiny wipers for getting dirt and mud off the lights when hardcore offorading. They are super high pressure too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
early pics...it has been a cold wet hell here past few days

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 16, 2018