Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Where are you keeping all this? I’m hoping to make 2 or 3 gallons and I’m having a tough time convincing my parents to let me keep that much in our fridge for 2 months, much less a full year.

the beer fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Time to git er done this weekend. I'm an Alton Brown loyalist but with the addition of coconut rum. Last year we were down to a half gallon when the fridge door knocked the precious nog from my tipsy hand and coated the floor. It was like a close family member had died.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Store mine in half gallon mason jars and they fit in the the champagne/magnum area at the bottom of a couple wine fridges I have. Also store some at my brothers because his fridge has the space for it. Can be a struggle to fit big or multiple batches in a fridge. Only have a counter depth big fridge and the year I stored it all in there it took up a ton of space. Maybe look for wider/shallower containers than jars/bottles were you could stack stuff on top of it.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Since we're talking about storage, be aware that if you use the flip top bottles or containers from Ikea like I do (the Korken line), the glass is a little thin. I use one for keeping filtered water in the fridge, and the back of my fridge froze the bottle and subsequently shattered it. I think even low alcohol content egg nog should be freeze resistant, but I nevertheless shifted some stuff around to keep all of my nog away from the coldest part of the fridge (as well as bringing up the temperature setting a hair).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I have released the Kraken! :krakken:
(No pics, because you all know what a gallon jar of eggnog looks like.)
I used the Joy of Cooking recipe, but I only used 750ml of rum (just a hair over 3 cups) because I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to buy a 1500ml bottle. I also broke a yolk into my whites whilst separating the eggs. :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally got around to making the eggnog, only did two batches this year instead of four so we wont be sharing them like we usually do

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Going to try making some homemade nog this year. The Alton Brown recipe sounds good but that is a poo poo ton of sugar. The bitten world one looks like too much booze for my family at Christmas. I'm thinking of trying this one:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

I've got some aged rum, so I think I'll try that plus I'll pick up some nice Brandy to do a mixture.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If youre going for fresh eggnog you should also look into some of the ones that end up being a really thin custard.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
How did the toasted cream go for the people who chose to use it? I just finished my 24 hour sous vide off of the Serious Eats recipe, and I'm considering my options in terms of how much to put in.

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008
Hey! So, while I've made the boozy 12 month aged egg nog in the past and it turned out amazing, thanks to this thread, I was wondering if anyone had a good non-alcoholic recipe that turns out a nice thick custardy egg nog. The people I make it for don't really love the boozy stuff so I wanted to try to make something that's more like the store bought, but better.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I drank my batch before the holidays, it was too good.

I want to make some more with toasted sugar and toasted cream.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

How did the toasted cream go for the people who chose to use it? I just finished my 24 hour sous vide off of the Serious Eats recipe, and I'm considering my options in terms of how much to put in.

I did 2:1 toasted:untoasted and it's delicious

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

Hey! So, while I've made the boozy 12 month aged egg nog in the past and it turned out amazing, thanks to this thread, I was wondering if anyone had a good non-alcoholic recipe that turns out a nice thick custardy egg nog. The people I make it for don't really love the boozy stuff so I wanted to try to make something that's more like the store bought, but better.

I dont have a recipe because I made it almost a decade ago but any eggnog recipe that has you simmering and straining the eggnog is probably a good one

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My nog has been aging for about 3 months now. So close to being able to crack it open...

I went with Makers Mark for the bourbon this year instead of whatever cheap stuff I found on sale. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Does anyone here add any spices in right away when making it? I'd worry that they'd overpower the drink considering how long they are in there for.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just popped jar of 2017 nog and it had a thick layer of loving nog butter on top and its fuckin excellent. I'm gonna eat it like icing on a brownie or something. Currently sipping a blend of 2017 and 2018 nogs, living the nog life.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My nog has been aging for about 3 months now. So close to being able to crack it open...

I went with Makers Mark for the bourbon this year instead of whatever cheap stuff I found on sale. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Does anyone here add any spices in right away when making it? I'd worry that they'd overpower the drink considering how long they are in there for.

Last year I infused my booze with almonds, vanilla, cardamom mace and cinnamon and it was good. This year I toasted the cream w/ a bit of cinnamon stick, and it is also good

e: Hey have any of you guys ever tried buttermilk in your nog? I was thinking about it because I've got Salt Fat Acid Heat on the brain, but then I found a kenji recipe for Lemon Buttermilk Eggnog and now I'm afraid we may all have been missing the magic ingredient all along

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I finally caved and made some NOG this year using the OP recipe and just the taste test after decanting and oh boy this is already p delicious. It get's better??? Sweet

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just made 2 batches with the following recipe each, based off the Joy of Cooking recipe:

12 egg yolks
350g powdered sugar
4 cups half & half
2 cups whole milk
750ml dark rum OR 750ml french brandy

Turned out really good. I've made recipes in the past with 8 cups of cream or 8 cups half & half, and I think this is the best its turned out ... less volume of dairy over all keeps it thicker but the lower butterfat content keeps it from getting overwhelming if you have more than a small glass.

Also, a lb of sugar is too much to my tastes .. 350g is about 25% less, and tastes great, especially with the reduced volume of dairy

I've always used brandy in the past and I gotta say that the batch I made with rum turned out better .. it's got a darker, more pleasing color and seems to have a more complex flavor.

Interested to see what happens after I give them a couple weeks to age

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I was looking at george washington's recipe:

George Washington posted:

One quart cream, one quart milk , one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whisky, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry - mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well.

Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.
If we can assume that George Washington's tablespoons were like our tablespoons and that a tablespoon of sugar then weighed about the same as it does now, this recipe has about 1/3 of a pound of sugar in it but is otherwise comparable to the JOC recipe. I wonder how it is.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Made a quad batch of bitten word :negative:

I'm so loving stupid. I didn't re-read this thread and was googling "burned cream" and getting results for creme brulee so I thought I had imagined it. TOASTED cream?! God dammit I really wanted to try it.

treehaus
Jul 31, 2013

I've had some nog going since mid-October, I just realized that the glass jug I have been using has a faulty rubber seal. Does nog need to stay completely airtight?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Made some of this aged stuff for the first time. Sort of halfway between the Alton Brown and Bitten Word recipe-I didn't have enough bourbon so it is mostly brandy/rum, and I added a splash of Marsala because it was feeling left out and I love Madeira/Marsala/Port/Sherry. I forgot how delicious Brugal rum is-almost tastes like cognac.

This is the (fairly old) eggnog recipe I've usually done, from a local Junior League cookbook from 1964:

Recipe Jubilee posted:

Confederate Egg Nog
5 egg yolks
5 tablespoons sugar
6 jiggers rum
1/2 pint whipping cream
6 egg whites

Beat egg yolks with sugar until very light in color. Add rum, fold in whipped cream. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Additional rum may be used to taste.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

treehaus posted:

I've had some nog going since mid-October, I just realized that the glass jug I have been using has a faulty rubber seal. Does nog need to stay completely airtight?

She'll be right, mate.

treehaus
Jul 31, 2013

Ranter posted:

She'll be right, mate.

I've been drinking her, but I don't want to kill my family at x-mas. Thanks!

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I nogged with about 50/50 toasted milk several weeks ago. It turned out pretty good and after repeated "testing", I'm down to a full half-gallon. I did find that some of the milk clumped a bit when I did the toasting, but it strained out really easily so no big deal. Also, my milk toasting process was a little haphazard. I used a couple small mason jars in an instant pot.

I thought that was going to be it for the year, but then my sister started bugging me about making coquito, so I did that yesterday. I actually got my recipe from somebody here on the forums, but I can't recall who, so if this is yours, please step forward and take the credit you deserve because this poo poo is good as hell and I've made it 4 or 5 times already.

Here it is, it's probably edited slightly from the original version because I'm taking it from a text file that's been on my hard drive for years.

Some Cool and Good and Brilliant Goon posted:

You will need the following:

1.5 cups water
3-4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp powdered clove

30 oz Coconut cream - Coco Lopez is the gold standard according to everyone I've asked
3x 13.5 oz cans of coconut milk
3 14 oz cans of Sweetened condensed milk
3x 12 oz cans of Evaporated milk
8 Egg yolks
4c Rum
3x split and scraped vanilla beans

Step 1: Bring water, clove, and cinnamon sticks to a boil and simmer until there is ~1 cup of liquid left. Discard cinnamon and put water aside to cool.

Step 2: Use stick blender to mix evaporated milk, egg yolk, and spiced water.

Step 3: Add everything else and blend until uniform

Step 4: Bottle and stick in fridge for at least overnight. I've tried putting individual cinnamon sticks in each bottle in the past but haven't noticed much difference.

Serve chilled with a grating of nutmeg on top.

Add'l notes: A Puerto Rican friend of mine suggests DonQ for the rum. That works pretty well. I usually use that or whatever white rums I have on hand but then I also usually toss Puerto Rican authenticity to the side and top off with an additional between 1/2cp and 1cp of something dark with absolutely no respect to regeion. This year was a bottle of Bacardi and then about another 3/4 cp of an old bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Riserva. Next year I think I'm going to soak some toasted coconut in the rum for a week or so first then strain it out. This year I also used real cinnamon (not ceylon) and added a couple crushed allspice berries to the boil part.

This is the important part: this makes a lot, so plan accordingly. It doesn't look like much if you're looking at the unopened cans of ingredients together, but you are going to want to make this in a big-rear end (at least 1.5 gallon) pot, and then have something like 2 growlers and probably some other thing like a swing-top handy for the rest. Don't even try making it in your 4.5 quart Kitchenaid because you will destroy your kitchen and everyone that lives with you will hate you forever. A funnel, a large Pyrex 4cp measuring cup, and a chopstick (to wedge between the bottle and the funnel so air can flow and the funnel doesn't back up) and possibly another trusted human being can make bottling the stuff much easier and is highly recommended.

Shake occasionally just like nog, sometimes the various coconut oils get clumpy. I think this stuff peaks at 2-3 weeks so about right now is a pretty good time to make it and maybe have some leftover for new years.

nominal fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 10, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I had some refrigerator problems and my nog was in mason jars for ~12 hours at ~60F-Do you think it's fine or should I be worried? Its definitely pretty boozy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It's fiine.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Like, at that point, it would barely change the flavour. Ten times that, and it would still be fine health-wise.

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks to this thread, I made my first homemade nog last weekend! I used the Bitten Word recipe and a bottle of brown sugar bourbon that was too sweet for drinking on the rocks. Then I reduced the sugar by half so the nog won't be too sweet.

Haven't tried it yet, but my friends are having brunch the weekend after Christmas. I'll probably try it a day or two before to make sure if anyone dies of salmonella, it'll only be me. I couldn't find any reasonably priced large glass jars, so I cleaned out a plastic milk jug and its aging in that.

Do I need to shake it periodically to keep it from separating?

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Did a quick taste test of my Alton Brown eggnog after 3 months in the fridge. To be honest, I thought the extra time would not make a difference but it really did. There's virtually no bite to it at all.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Made some nog this year following essentially the OP recipe that I read on a Michael rhulman post back when he was blogging... It's always been pretty great, but I forgot to add the salt... You think it will be noticed?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Made 2 batches for next year so far. One toasted cream and toasted sugar. The other toasted sugar and then had some left over spice mix from making lebkuchen and threw that in there.

Toasting the sugar took a lot longer than the recipe said to get any appreciable color to it but hopefully adds a little something.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We ran out of vessels so I put a little bit of eggnog in a former store-bought pickle jar earlier this year. It's good! Hint of cuke but that's about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Question on booze: my family isn't super boozy. I did the Alton Brown recipe but reduced the booze a lot, down to a third of the recipe (I did half the recipe, then reduced the booze down from there). Used bourbon, rum and brandy. It tastes fantastic now, but will it go bad now? I like where it tastes now so it's purely from a health standpoint if I should add more.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Finally tried the nog I started back in... september? Maybe?

Scotch and toasted cream combine to make something goddamn phenomenal. It's smoky, nutty, and honestly I'm now regretting not using some butterscotch schnapps, because it would really only have helped. This is a good fuckin nog year.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Everyone said the toasted cream nog was the best yet (I've been doing this 10 years now) and I tend to agree with them even though they tell me that every year

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Coconut cream ended up being a little too much coconut for me some people enjoyed it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I make the Bitten Word recipe right now, will it be drinkable by tomorrow night?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

If I make the Bitten Word recipe right now, will it be drinkable by tomorrow night?

It's drinkable the moment you finish, but the aging process takes off a lot of bite and significantly alters the flavor. If you're making it now, make sure you fold whipped egg whites and heavy cream in after you're done to smooth the whole thing out

e: honestly, consider going for a less alcoholic recipe at this point. The booze shouldn't be front and center in a nog, and while the bitten word recipe is fine, it's very boozy for the first month or so of aging.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I went with the Serious Eats recipe, since I only had 8 fresh eggs from my own backyard coop anyway. I use a little more alcohol and a hell of a lot more spice than they do, though. Namely, I shake the Angostura bitters over it like I'm angry at the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I didn't see a 2019 thread and gently caress if I'm gonna make one just to state I've made my 3 month aged nog for christmas. Based on alton browns recipe but without rum in it, more bourbon as a replacement and a dash of cinnamon, and because I live in the UK and half and half doesn't exist here, using a mix of double cream and whole milk in place of it.

Tastes good, but as with all aged nog, needs a couple of months in the fridge. :toot:

Was meant to all be in kliner bottles but the fuckers at the post office somehow misplaced them and I need to wait a week for redelivery.