Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cameo posted:

“Yo Adrian, we did it.” :unsmith:

I was working in the Boston Common AMC the winter Balboa came out. People would stand during the Rocky/Dixon fight like it was a goddamn real boxing match. Like, the entire theater. More than once. It was surreal.

Well, once a few people have stood up everyone else has to stand up or they won't be able to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Couple days after a certain Russell Crowe film had premiered in Denmark, some friends and I were tending student bar from 2pm till 5pm but then a christmas party from the chem students arrived & they had a lot of drinks based on pure alcohol that they liberally shared. They let us hang for a while after our shift but then it got boring because we didn't know them and they weren't hot or interesting.

Anyway, we ended up at a kinda late screening of this film because we didn't have any idea what else to do kinda too early too late on a weeknight, and I have to say that I was loving the film. I saw it again some years back and it is actually solidly good.

So I was as you can guess quite drunk at this point & I wanted to share this. But I also hate people who talk in cinemas, so this was quite a conundrum for me. How could I show my appreciation?!

I started low key clapping at the great scenes. At first just once or twice, maybe a tiny fist pump or "woo!". At first I got some laughs, some of my friends joined in (the guy on my left had passed out). Eventually we got to that crazy tense scene where Matt Bellamy Paul Bettany surgically removes a bullet from himself, I had the whole audience standing up and clapping, literally.

The rest of the film is probably alright, but that was the zenith for me, personally.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krankenstyle posted:

Couple days after a certain Russell Crowe film had premiered in Denmark, some friends and I were tending student bar from 2pm till 5pm but then a christmas party from the chem students arrived & they had a lot of drinks based on pure alcohol that they liberally shared. They let us hang for a while after our shift but then it got boring because we didn't know them and they weren't hot or interesting.

Anyway, we ended up at a kinda late screening of this film because we didn't have any idea what else to do kinda too early too late on a weeknight, and I have to say that I was loving the film. I saw it again some years back and it is actually solidly good.

So I was as you can guess quite drunk at this point & I wanted to share this. But I also hate people who talk in cinemas, so this was quite a conundrum for me. How could I show my appreciation?!

I started low key clapping at the great scenes. At first just once or twice, maybe a tiny fist pump or "woo!". At first I got some laughs, some of my friends joined in (the guy on my left had passed out). Eventually we got to that crazy tense scene where Matt Bellamy Paul Bettany surgically removes a bullet from himself, I had the whole audience standing up and clapping, literally.

The rest of the film is probably alright, but that was the zenith for me, personally.

I'm sorry sir but this is a fever dream.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

So I was as you can guess quite drunk at this point

This is a recall I trust.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

I am recalling this with the clarity of a sailor in the Indian ocean centuries ago, which is clear indeed.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I don't have anywhere else to ask this, but has youtube started playing double ads for anyone else in recent days? I've never seen this before. As in: watch add for 5 seconds, skip add, go straight into the next one, skip it after 5 seconds and then onto the video clip you wanted to see.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've had that a few times, even when I don't skip ads. I just assume whenever youtube gets worse, it means time has passed.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Toys are back in town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXYRzerjzU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Toy Story 4 shouldn’t be reminding me of Hereditary

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hello friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This seems like it can be good? What?

(would have been better with Danny Devito as Pikachu)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The first forty-five seconds of that trailer make the movie look really dire but the rest of it is actually... pretty cute?

I’m conflicted.

e: Have the Pokémon always been depicted as being that hairy?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 12, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

kanonvandekempen posted:

I don't have anywhere else to ask this, but has youtube started playing double ads for anyone else in recent days? I've never seen this before. As in: watch add for 5 seconds, skip add, go straight into the next one, skip it after 5 seconds and then onto the video clip you wanted to see.

You'd think with all that ad revenue they would fix the loving display of dark colors on there

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

It's basically Who Framed Roger Rabbit
I love it

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

I had to laugh at the point where Pikachu gets fed up with Mr. Mime, leaps forward, and crashes into Mr. Mime's invisible wall that he's currently miming his hands against.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I am ready for Deadpoo...kemon.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

GrandpaPants posted:

This seems like it can be good? What?

(would have been better with Danny Devito as Pikachu)

That's a common comment online. There's got to be a running joke where Pikachu talks to other pokemon and they respond in regular speech, but other onlookers just hear "Pika pika!" "Psy, psy-yai-yai-yai!" and they're voiced by other recognizable actors.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FoneBone posted:

Toy Story 4 shouldn’t be reminding me of Hereditary

it should. its gotta beat the creepiness of pt3

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This looks really loving good I can't believe I'm saying it but I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of this pikachu movie

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

it should. its gotta beat the creepiness of pt3

Well, I don't know the ending was pretty dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFISjORzQs

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That Detective Pikachu trailer seriously has me questioning my reality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

davidspackage posted:

That Detective Pikachu trailer seriously has me questioning my reality.

Don't you mean it has you... :psyduck:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm glad Nintendo's 2 for 2 with weird dystopian cyberpunk interpretations of it's beloved IPs.

clown shoes posted:

Blumhouse made a Netflix with a camgirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN8xZ5WDonk

Getting some weird Perfect Blue vibes from the trailer. I'm intrigued.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 12, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That certainly looks better than Truth or Dare.

edit: Looks like it reviewed well from festival showings.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 12, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

QuoProQuid posted:

e: Have the Pokémon always been depicted as being that hairy?

No but yes. Traditionally, due to hardware and budget limitations, they've always been vacuum packed smooth critters (barring a fuzzy flourish for aesthetic reasons). But the intention was always that they were animals, complete with secret fuzz and fur whenever accurate. It's just that, up until this movie, depictions have been strictly limited to the budget friendly vinyl doll type depictions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only find it strange that the hair is so long and wooly. Maybe the movie takes place in a colder climate? Pikachu looks like he's a drat Maine Coon. I always imagined them short-furred like a pug.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

From the song choice in the trailer I'm assuming that that Detective Pikachu is also that guy's missing dad and the kidnapper.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

feedmyleg posted:

I only find it strange that the hair is so long and wooly. Maybe the movie takes place in a colder climate? Pikachu looks like he's a drat Maine Coon. I always imagined them short-furred like a pug.

Gotta build up that static electricity.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I liked that Pikachu trailer, different tone than I was expecting and what can I say, the Pokemon nostalgia and Mr. Mime gag worked for me. Having Pikachu come off like a pg-13 Deadpool certainly didn't hurt either.

I don't expect it to be a huge hit, but I do expect it to end up being a much solider movie than people were expecting it to be. Certainly I was expecting a blatant kid-movie cash grab with a paper-thin plot, now I think it'll have at least a cardboard-thin plot and that Pikachu will be the best part of the movie and have a fair amount of funny dialogue, so hey that's progress.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I appreciate that the filmmakers recognize that most Pokémon would look quite freaky in real life, but only pulled the lever about 25% as far as they could have.

I’m hoping for some ghost Pokémon scenes that lean into the horror genre.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I appreciate that the filmmakers recognize that most Pokémon would look quite freaky in real life, but only pulled the lever about 25% as far as they could have.

I’m hoping for some ghost Pokémon scenes that lean into the horror genre.

Oh please oh please, I want to see a life action Gengar or Ghastly.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I am curious whether Pokemon has permeated enough into the popular culture discourse that it gets treated like a superhero film or whether it gets torn to shreds by a bunch of overeager middle-aged critics immediately upon release.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

No but yes. Traditionally, due to hardware and budget limitations, they've always been vacuum packed smooth critters (barring a fuzzy flourish for aesthetic reasons). But the intention was always that they were animals, complete with secret fuzz and fur whenever accurate. It's just that, up until this movie, depictions have been strictly limited to the budget friendly vinyl doll type depictions.

Hm. I guess I always imagined them looking more Muppet-like than animal-like.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 13, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Of course it'll get torn to shreds, and that'll matter as much as it did for the Mortal Kombat movie 20+ years ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie is going to make more money than god. It’s going to be massive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NowonSA posted:

I don't expect it to be a huge hit...

It's going to be loving huge. What the he'll?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Netflix making their own Joeson Dynasty Korean zombie series

https://www.slashfilm.com/kingdom-trailer-netflix/

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What the hell is this? This should be a movie about magical animals enslaved by humans and forced into gladiatorial battles for our amusement.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 13, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell is this? This should be a movie about magical animals enslaved by humans and forced into gladiatorial battles for our amusement.

i mean did you not see the massive Charizard in a UFC cage?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Late-stage Capitalism, the Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/1062329230661484548/video/1

:hmmyes: