Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
People seem to go hog wild for your gang tag ideas in the zaurg and general bwm threads. Maybe people would give you a few bucks in exchange for making custom avatars which would give you a few bucks for what appears to be a hobby of yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

CanadianSuperKing posted:

People seem to go hog wild for your gang tag ideas in the zaurg and general bwm threads. Maybe people would give you a few bucks in exchange for making custom avatars which would give you a few bucks for what appears to be a hobby of yours?

Tried that. Made $40, then the clients dried up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you don't seem to try things for very long

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you don't seem to try things for very long

I don't really frequent SA Mart, so when I stopped getting posts to my thread I wasn't sure if I should reboot or bump, or if I had captured all the market I could at those prices.

I was going to immediately reinvest in advertising, but SA Store doesn't take PayPal. Luckily my good friend and good poster hamjobs was kind enough to purchase an ad for me. (Edit: this was the end of August.)

I barely want to keep doing the pro bono work that got all this started. There's around 40 left. I should just do them all in one post.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 12, 2018

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Yeah but like, in general. You want to budget but then don’t follow it for ~reasons~. Your disability income is fixed and your costs seem fairly fixed, so just don’t spend a lot discretionary?

You want to work, but don’t/can’t. You haven’t shared why you are permanently disabled, so I will refrain judgement as I’m sure it doesn’t help get you started.

Set some short term goals and achieve them, or embrace the zarug.

Edit: also why tf do you even have a credit card? Again fixed income fixed bills seems like a bank/check/debit card is more your alley.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I don't really frequent SA Mart, so when I stopped getting posts to my thread I wasn't sure if I should reboot or bump, or if I had captured all the market I could at those prices.
right, but surely you can read the rules or something and find out if it's okay. $20 or $40 or $60 here or there is not going to save you because you have this wild tendency to just drop $500+ on something as soon as you want it. There's no amount of extra money you can make that can prevent that, you gotta just... stop doing it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Back to liquidating cardboard. Do I get to try to sell it slowly or do I have to just buylist the whole thing?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Back to liquidating cardboard. Do I get to try to sell it slowly or do I have to just buylist the whole thing?

sell it playset-by-playset on ebay. what do you have to sell?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Spokes posted:

sell it playset-by-playset on ebay. what do you have to sell?

Ponza. I've been on it for probably two years, so I have the current 75 plus the cards from older builds.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I have a really hard time staying motivated to keep looking for work

Why is this, and how can you fix it? Would therapy help?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Inept posted:

Why is this, and how can you fix it? Would therapy help?

I have a therapist. As much as you can have one when you can't pay for one. (Ministry of Mental Health & Addictions, I see her maybe a total of an hour a month.)

As far as I know I'm on PWD because of my autism diagnosis, though I also suffer from ADHD and depression.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Ponza. I've been on it for probably two years, so I have the current 75 plus the cards from older builds.

i know blood moon's gone down over the last couple years, but that should still be worth $500ish right? you're a quarter of the way there! stop using your credit card! i can't say this enough. you're definitely capable of getting out of this hole but you have to stop spending money, especially huge amounts of it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Hello, TVVO, how's liquidating your cardboard going? Are you anticipating Boxing Day. (i really have no idea what happens in canada 99% of the time, sorry)

Did you buy a new jacket, or camgirl tokens recently?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

You should check in with the more general resume thread but here's a couple of things I noticed right off the bat:

• objective - get rid of this, I don't remember how this got started but it's a waste of space. People who know and actually have a good career objective don't need this because it's evident from their resume, while people who don't really know what to do with it put random generic things that they think might sound good to the recruiter.
  • prodigious information retention - this is really not a standard skill that you typically see, so it sticks out. This could be a very good thing, but without anything else in the resume that gives me more detail about what it really means in concrete terms, I'm probably going to ignore it if I'm going through a pile of CVs.
  • able to learn quickly - generic, so worthless because anyone can put that on their resume. Unless you have more details in the resume that give me an idea of HOW quickly you learn (and it truly is quickly relative to other potential hires) it does nothing for you
  • advanced level Windows user - what does this mean? Without more information, this reads like "I know how to use a computer"
  • last 2 skills you have listed are much better - do you have anything else this specific that you can include? Think about things like first aid/CPR, language skills, etc
  • employment history - I'm not sure the chronological format is really helping you out, because it just highlights a lot of job changes. Only the first and last jobs have significant tenure, so if you want to stick to chronological order, I'd highlight those instead of the three that you've got covering 2011.
  • descriptions for each job - most just list your job responsibilities, but not the value you delivered as an employee. The only exception is "achieved superior efficiency" - but again, what does that mean?

Here are some good resources to help you out:
Squawkfox series on resume writing: http://www.squawkfox.com/series-how-to-write-a-resume-that-gets-job-interviews/
Ramit Sethi on resumes: https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/why-my-resume-got-me-a-job-offer-at-google/

This is how you should think about your resume: it is a one page story about you as a prospective employee. So what kind of story do you want to be telling? Are you the reliable team member who they can always rely on to pitch in and help out when things get crazy? Or are you the go to whiz who can decipher complicated information and explain it in a way that makes sense to everybody else?

If you have no idea, try asking your references (or anyone who knows you, really) to describe you as an employee in three sentences. That will give you a good starting point on how employers view you.

Edit: to sum up another way, as a prospective employer, I'm probably only going to spend about 10-30 seconds looking at your resume. You need to write it such that when I scan it, I get a very strong impression of who you are immediately. Right now, I don't really have any idea who you are. Your objective talks about a "passion for excellence", "strong work ethic" and "technical problem solving skills" but there is no evidence of this in your resume! So start putting some specific examples of these things from your previous jobs into your CV - this will make a huge improvement.

Leng fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 6, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I would like to use this thread to say that I've just noticed I was branded with a different one of your amazing creations as a gang tag. Unfortunately it replaced my Arzug one, and I have no idea why it happened, but I'm still happy about it. Because I do have truck equity (since it' paid off).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
That was just me having a bit of fun. You and whoever it was I gave the horse daddy tag to were saying someone would have to pry your zaurg tag from your cold, dead body. This was when I was under the impression I could get the new ones uploaded soon. Neither of you complained about it, so first tags go to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

That was just me having a bit of fun. You and whoever it was I gave the horse daddy tag to were saying someone would have to pry your zaurg tag from your cold, dead body. This was when I was under the impression I could get the new ones uploaded soon. Neither of you complained about it, so first tags go to you

I was very attached to the Azrug tag back when he was still in an extended manic phase. I'm over it.