Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the greatest example of white Suburbia was when those two people from the daily show fougjt hard against busing poorer minorities into their school district.

I was gonna say Tina Faye's sheetcake rant but this is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sexpig by night posted:

I was gonna say Tina Faye's sheetcake rant but this is good too

The school segregation defense one is more poignant because instead of being a really bad take it's actually negatively affecting the lives of children in NYC.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For anyone who doesn’t know, it was hashtag resistance liberal Samantha Bee and her husband Jason Jones, not anyone the show actually featured in a story to make fun of them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

For anyone who doesn’t know, it was hashtag resistance liberal Samantha Bee and her husband Jason Jones, not anyone the show actually featured in a story to make fun of them.

They should, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

And that was the Great War.

We've learned so little.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The school segregation defense one is more poignant because instead of being a really bad take it's actually negatively affecting the lives of children in NYC.

It’s quite a revelation whenever a lib literally lives up to (down to) any of the lyrics in the Phil Ochs song. Except you know she never learned any union songs and just sighed about how unfair it was that she had to pay SAG.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It’s quite a revelation whenever a lib literally lives up to (down to) any of the lyrics in the Phil Ochs song. Except you know she never learned any union songs and just sighed about how unfair it was that she had to pay SAG.

She was born and raised in Canada, she might have learned some union songs there. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

yea for sure but I would say a person many look up to just showing her rear end and saying 'lol don't protest just eat a cake!!!!' is profoundly bad but yea for sure Bee and her dude were actively making policy worse for actual kids and that puts them ahead in that wonderful race.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fey’s thing was so lovely that people started trying to defend her by saying that it was a satire of craven liberalism. And then the next week the fascists cancelled all their planned rallies because counterprotestors outnumbered them 6,000 to 1 at the next rally they tried to have, just underscoring how utterly worthless the liberal response to fascism truly is.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I haven't really had much material lately and I got really bored of incels but the other day a post in r/self about a man's son who is a horrible incel got like 10k comments and started a big shitstorm over on r/braincels and other such places. I do think the story was fake just based on a bunch of small facts adding up but it's still a pretty good read if you haven't seen it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8zpjGkX7ZM

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the writing of that story makes it clear as day that it's fake as gently caress.

the bigger take-away however is that a shitload of people in the comments know, have known, or indeed were once themselves, someone exactly like the son in the story.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I live like ten minutes away from Stockbridge and it's even worse than this article lets on. My doctor's there and I've had more encounters with sad, fearful old white people there than the predominantly white state I originally hail from. Like, I'm talking furtive glares while locking their car doors extra tight to make sure that I - or some other wily minority - couldn't abscond with their valuables. I wouldn't be surprised if they succeed on pulling their Johns Creek (a major gentrified white flight enclave in Fulton County)-esque power play and try to incorporate some parcel of land that they can forcibly drive people out of.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 12, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

my parents boyfriend posted:

I haven't really had much material lately and I got really bored of incels but the other day a post in r/self about a man's son who is a horrible incel got like 10k comments and started a big shitstorm over on r/braincels and other such places. I do think the story was fake just based on a bunch of small facts adding up but it's still a pretty good read if you haven't seen it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8zpjGkX7ZM

That is just 15 minutes of :barf: incarnate, real or not, and I feel dirtier for having listened to all of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vanderdeath posted:

I live like ten minutes away from Stockbridge and it's even worse than this article lets on. My doctor's there and I've had more encounters with sad, fearful old white people there than the predominantly white state I originally hail from. Like, I'm talking furtive glares while locking their car doors extra tight to make sure that I - or some other wily minority - couldn't abscond with their valuables. I wouldn't be surprised if they succeed on pulling their Johns Creek (a major gentrified white flight enclave in Fulton County)-esque power play and try to incorporate some parcel of land that they can forcibly drive people out of.

wait you mean suburban white people are racist pieces of gutter trash!?!?!? :eyepop:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 12, 2018

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

nine-gear crow posted:

That is just 15 minutes of :barf: incarnate, real or not, and I feel dirtier for having listened to all of it.

This is one of the times I'm less annoyed with instant demonetization.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wait you mean suburban white people are racist pieces of gutter trash!?!?!? :eyepop:

Surprising, I know.

But seriously, black and Hispanic people getting elected to the county government has caused them to lose their goddamned minds.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm kinda stunned there is no Jim Sterling video yet on Artifact because jesus christ what a business model Valve went with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I'm kinda stunned there is no Jim Sterling video yet on Artifact because jesus christ what a business model Valve went with.

Last I heard it sounded like Valve was trying to treat Artifact as a full-on collectible card game like Magic the Gathering, with card packs always costing money and players able to trade/sell each other cards. Have they gone even further?

Like, not that a business model like MtG's is acceptable or anything, I'm just curious if it's "super bad, gambling-based, and exploitative like MtG" or "somehow even worse."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MiddleOne posted:

It's apparently pretty hard to find info on Artifact's business model, except that it's apparently not free to play, which is pretty hilarious in comparison to Hearthstone and especially MTG Arena.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Patrick H Williams released the second part of his in depth look into the oeuvre of Michael Bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzO14E-NLg

He also name checks The Whole Plate as the best look into the Transformers movies on YouTube, which was nice.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jim is pretty much totally right again.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1061999870742089728?s=19

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WampaLord posted:

Patrick H Williams released the second part of his in depth look into the oeuvre of Michael Bay

So did anyone else forget that 13 Hours was a movie before watching this?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
how did jim sterling's outfit get worse. why does his hat have a corset

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

IronicDongz posted:

how did jim sterling's outfit get worse. why does his hat have a corset

because he's jim sterling

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

because he's jim sterling, son

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

rudecyrus posted:

because he's jim loving sterling, son

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

rudecyrus posted:

because he's jim fuckin' sterling's son

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Harrow posted:

Last I heard it sounded like Valve was trying to treat Artifact as a full-on collectible card game like Magic the Gathering, with card packs always costing money and players able to trade/sell each other cards. Have they gone even further?

Like, not that a business model like MtG's is acceptable or anything, I'm just curious if it's "super bad, gambling-based, and exploitative like MtG" or "somehow even worse."

You have to pay to get the game, 20 dollars, and that gives you two starter decks(That people from the beta have said that are bad) and 10 packs and 5 event tickets. You don't get more cards by just playing the game, you get them by buying packs or by buying from other players through the steam market.

There are pay and free game modes. The game modes that you have to pay to enter require tickets and/or packs.

In the pay modes you have phantom draft and expert constructed that require only 1 ticket to enter, however in phantom draft you don't get to keep any cards, and constructed you need to spend a lot of money to actually compete in a developed meta. Winning games does reward you with tickets, but you need to win 3 games to get 1 ticket back, and 5 games for 3 tickets and 2 packs.

Then you have keeper draft where you get to keep the cards you draft, but this mode costs 2 tickets and 5 packs to enter. If you win 3 times you get 2 tickets and 1 pack, at 5 wins 2 tickets and 3 packs.

In the free modes, you get causal constructed, but because the only way to get cards is by buying it's not really free, and the other is a constructed mode that uses pre-built decks by Valve that you don't actually own.(and are probably bad)

The game is also very unwatchable, so RIP all those streamers that thought they could bail on hearthstone for this.

Edit: There's also going to be social tournaments, but I think it's going to run into the same problem as free constructed. You won't be able to participate if you don't have the cards to build competent decks.

Edit: I would say that it's worse than Magic, because in Magic if you want to cash out WotC doesn't keep a cut of your card sales.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 12, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably like a zillion really bad Stan Lee videos incoming

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moviebob: in this video on Stan Lee I shall (for three hours)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will lump them with the worthless TLJ videos that won’t stop popping up in my feed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Probably like a zillion really bad Stan Lee videos incoming

Eagerly awaiting the one from Count Jackula where he talks about all the female superheroes he jerked it to. Because he put out a video the day after Carrie Fisher died proudly insinuating that he jerked off to Slave Leia a lot. There’s no joke there. I’m just saying Count Jackula is one gross motherfucker.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who would do a good Stan Lee video? It would have to be about how he was a thief and a pirate who created an outsized public persona that he had to live every day of his life in order to sell comics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

In the pay modes you have phantom draft and expert constructed that require only 1 ticket to enter, however in phantom draft you don't get to keep any cards, and constructed you need to spend a lot of money to actually compete in a developed meta. Winning games does reward you with tickets, but you need to win 3 games to get 1 ticket back, and 5 games for 3 tickets and 2 packs.

So initially it sounds like they're trying to be MtG but more structured--like, you have to buy a starter deck but from there you get cards the same way you would in a physical CCG--but then I got to this part about the paid game modes.

What the unholy gently caress is that about

Like that sounds like the functional equivalent of Hearthstone requiring you to pay up every time you queue for ranked mode, only even worse because at least it's possible to get free cards in Hearthstone

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Electronico6 posted:

You have to pay to get the game, 20 dollars, and that gives you two starter decks(That people from the beta have said that are bad) and 10 packs and 5 event tickets. You don't get more cards by just playing the game, you get them by buying packs or by buying from other players through the steam market.

There are pay and free game modes. The game modes that you have to pay to enter require tickets and/or packs.

Then you have keeper draft where you get to keep the cards you draft, but this mode costs 2 tickets and 5 packs to enter. If you win 3 times you get 2 tickets and 1 pack, at 5 wins 2 tickets and 3 packs.

In the free modes, you get causal constructed, but because the only way to get cards is by buying it's not really free, and the other is a constructed mode that uses pre-built decks by Valve that you don't actually own.(and are probably bad)

The game is also very unwatchable, so RIP all those streamers that thought they could bail on hearthstone for this.

Edit: There's also going to be social tournaments, but I think it's going to run into the same problem as free constructed. You won't be able to participate if you don't have the cards to build competent decks.

Edit: I would say that it's worse than Magic, because in Magic if you want to cash out WotC doesn't keep a cut of your card sales.

And with additional wrinkles like only two card rarities (meaning commons will be exceedingly cheap and plentiful) it makes it obvious that they've constructed the entire game around maximizing the number of transactions passing through the Steam marketplace. I've described it before as a pennies from heaven scheme.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Who would do a good Stan Lee video? It would have to be about how he was a thief and a pirate who created an outsized public persona that he had to live every day of his life in order to sell comics.

history honeys did a decent podcast ep on him last year that didn't shy away from that stuff even if they were mostly positive on the guy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

So initially it sounds like they're trying to be MtG but more structured--like, you have to buy a starter deck but from there you get cards the same way you would in a physical CCG--but then I got to this part about the paid game modes.

What the unholy gently caress is that about

Like that sounds like the functional equivalent of Hearthstone requiring you to pay up every time you queue for ranked mode, only even worse because at least it's possible to get free cards in Hearthstone

It's like magic online (which is a piece of poo poo)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

And with additional wrinkles like only two card rarities (meaning commons will be exceedingly cheap and plentiful) it makes it obvious that they've constructed the entire game around maximizing the number of transactions passing through the Steam marketplace. I've described it before as a pennies from heaven scheme.

I guess that makes sense as something Valve would do. Their whole thing these days is doing as little as possible while taking a (sizable) cut of as many different types of transactions as possible. Might as well design an entire game around that concept while you're at it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

rudecyrus posted:

because he's "Slim" Jim "Ate My Fuckin' Son" Sterling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Holding out faint hope RLM's The Nerd Crew has a few targeted zingers ready.