Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Her skirt’s a big ol’ fancy oreo!

edit: I just realized that might be read as chiding, but please don’t read it that way, I’m just really excited because macaron’s skirt is a macaron, and it’s really cute!! I want one.

And Whip's is a cake. Alright I take it back, these designs fit Kira Kira's theme perfectly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I wanna make sweets, but I can’t afford an oven, so this show is giving me a lot of inspiration that I can do nothing with, so if i get too excited about character design details please understand my woes and forgive me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of designs, are the Hugtto suits all supposed to be based on occupations? Yell is obviously a cheerleader and Etoile seems to be a flight attendant but are the other three meant to represent anything specific?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Professional Robo (Probo) and APR (Assistant Professional Robo)

...I need to watch hugtto, but I need to watch the rest of the backlog first. Just yes5 and maho left to go!

edit: fixd

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 10, 2018

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Larryb posted:

Speaking of designs, are the Hugtto suits all supposed to be based on occupations? Yell is obviously a cheerleader and Etoile seems to be a flight attendant but are the other three meant to represent anything specific?

Ange is a nurse with an angle subtheme given her winged nurses cap and wing shaped capelet. Cure Amour and Cure Macherie seem to be gothic lolita pop stars which seems to fit given their music theme.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Hugtto cure designs are actually the weakest part of the show as they don't have a team theme to pull them together. The only matching ones are Amour and Macherie, while Yell, Etoile and Ange feel like they could each be from a different series. Probably could of used another pass or two to at least let them match as a team

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

Ange is a nurse with an angle subtheme given her winged nurses cap and wing shaped capelet. Cure Amour and Cure Macherie seem to be gothic lolita pop stars which seems to fit given their music theme.

That makes sense, though I question why Homare is a stewardess when her main passion is figure skating (all the other ones fit pretty well). I guess it has to do with the whole "flight" aspect of her dreams but I think there was probably a better way they could have gone about that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 10, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The producers actually talked about that in an interview or something. Apparently attempting to design a Precure outfit around figure skating kept looking too much like a normal Precure outfit and they couldn’t figure out how to make it stand out - if I remember correctly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

The producers actually talked about that in an interview or something. Apparently attempting to design a Precure outfit around figure skating kept looking too much like a normal Precure outfit and they couldn’t figure out how to make it stand out - if I remember correctly.

Ah, that makes sense (also the name Etoile is both the French word for "star" as well as what you would call the main dancer in a ballet company) though to be fair the suits for Ange, Macherie, and Amour could also be passed off as normal Precure outfits. Actually that's another weird thing, every Cure in this series is named after a French word except Yell for some reason.

But yeah, while I wasn't sure about it at first and it takes a few episodes to really get going (I think it's around the time Lulu's subplot starts that the show really gets good and stays that way) but Hugtto is a great series so far and definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

Though while I liked the crossovers for the most part I kind of wish they'd either spread them across the whole series Gokaiger/Decade style or saved them for a season that was explicitly dedicated to the concept.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Hugtto, are we actually going to get a proper movie for this at some point or is the second All Stars film that came out recently essentially replacing it this year?

Edit: Seems like this is in fact the Hugtto movie. Which makes sense as this is about the point where one would come out and this is an anniversary season after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 11, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if shes cure yelle

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

what if shes cure yelle

That would make sense actually.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hugtto sure likes to show how miserable it is to be a dark general and also work in a company. Probably the Precure with the most fleshed our bad guys really

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hugtto sure likes to show how miserable it is to be a dark general and also work in a company. Probably the Precure with the most fleshed our bad guys really

Yes! sort of did that too to a lesser extent (Bunbee is basically the Frank Grimes of Precure) but this show is better about it. Both were basically about evil salarymen though which I kind of liked.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yes! sort of did that too to a lesser extent (Bunbee is basically the Frank Grimes of Precure) but this show is better about it. Both were basically about evil salarymen though which I kind of liked.

Bunbee was a fun villain, I'm glad he sort of got a happy ending at the end of GoGo back at a time when Precure was still killing its villains off.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bunbee took the Geese Howard Plunge and lived so that's always a good mark!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, he's still kind of a loser as evidenced by his recent Hugtto cameo but I believe he is the first villian in this series to not only get redeemed a bit at the end but also live through his respective series and beyond, that's pretty good I'd say.

But yeah, not sure if it'll continue on to the next season but Precure has kind of shyed away from outright killing most of its villains as of late. Hell, the Hugtto girls technically don't even destroy the MOTW, they just kind of purify them and presumably send them back into their human host (not 100% sure on that but since the former Criasu employees that tangled with the Precure all become normal humans afterwards I assume something similar happened with the various Oshimaida).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 12, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I mean, he's still kind of a loser as evidenced by his recent Hugtto cameo but I believe he is the first villian in this series to not only get redeemed a bit at the end but also live through his respective series and beyond, that's pretty good I'd say.

But yeah, not sure if it'll continue on to the next season but Precure has kind of shyed away from outright killing most of its villains as of late. Hell, the Hugtto girls technically don't even destroy the MOTW, they just kind of purify them and presumably send them back into their human host (not 100% sure on that but since the former Criasu employees that tangled with the Precure all become normal humans afterwards I assume something similar happened with the various Oshimaida).

The Oshimaida don't really seem to be alive in a conventional sense - they're just big, dumb negative-emotion golems, as evidenced by the fact that Homare was able to fight her own Oshimaida.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The Oshimaida don't really seem to be alive in a conventional sense - they're just big, dumb negative-emotion golems, as evidenced by the fact that Homare was able to fight her own Oshimaida.

True, so I imagine that when one is defeated said emotion either floats away and disappears or gets converted into a more positive one and is returned to the original host (which would explain why defeating the monster also seems to instantly resolve whatever issue that person was currently dealing with).

Though as we get closer to the end the whole MOTW format almost seems like an afterthought now (earlier the victim of the week would usually be important to the episode's plot but now it's more like, "We're almost at the end and there hasn't been a fight yet so here's a random person with a minor gripe. Oshimaida Time.").

Slightly off the subject, now that I'm caught up I'm almost positive that Hugtan is going to grow up at some point and use the White Crystal to become a 6th Cure (she already transforms with the rest of them when they do their full team finisher now), it's probably not going to happen until almost the very end though (it also might possibly have something to do with that weird angel we see in the OP).

Also, I know the trademark has already been filed but how long does it usually take before we start getting some concrete information regarding next year's team?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 12, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

End of November starts of December usually. Whenever toy retailers start to get promo material to help with toy ordering...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

End of November starts of December usually. Whenever toy retailers start to get promo material to help with toy ordering...

Ah so about on the same schedule Sentai/Kamen Rider follow then. That makes sense.

If the little color trails on the logo are any indication I'm assuming Star Twinkle will start with a 4 girl team consisting of Pink, Blue, Yellow, and Purple. I'm still betting it's going to be space themed as well. It would also be interesting to get some new colors or at least ones we haven't seen in a while (such as Black, Orange, Gold, and Silver) as well as maybe a complete team that's larger than 6 members (provided it was handled well at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 13, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Larryb posted:

I mean, he's still kind of a loser as evidenced by his recent Hugtto cameo but I believe he is the first villian in this series to not only get redeemed a bit at the end but also live through his respective series and beyond, that's pretty good I'd say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

First villain to get redeemed without turning into a cure?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did those two ever appear again after Splash Star (if I'm thinking of the right people anyway)? And while we're on that subject, Kiriya from Futari Wa was reborn as a human at the end of the first series but I don't remember if he ever got so much as a cameo after that.

Endorph posted:

That would be Kriya from the original show actually. I beleive Bunbee is the first redeemed villain that didn't become a Cure and still came back later in some capacity though (even if it was mostly just brief cameos).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 13, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

look these would be the trendsetters in regards to being redeemed into a cure too

Larryb posted:

Did those two ever appear again after Splash Star (if I'm thinking of the right people anyway)? And while we're on that subject, Kiriya from Futari Wa was reborn as a human at the end of the first series but I don't remember if he ever got so much as a cameo after that.

everyone from splash star just shows up in crossover material without voices at this point, but i don't think those two are ever allowed to fight

they do lend their power in their pseudo-cure forms in the hugtto eps tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They're in some of the All-Stars movies but they never actually get in on the fighting, they're always just the support NPCs for the Splash Stars that show up when everyone is giving their power to the Spirit Bomb, the same way you see like, Tsubomi's grandma as the side characte representative for the heartcatches. (Actually she's even a cure too, so that comparison doubleworks.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, it's weird that Shiny Luminous (who herself was also technically the first "sixth" in the Precure franchise) and Milky Rose are considered official Cures despite not being named as such but Michiru and Kaoru aren't for some reason (do their transformed states even have proper names?).

At least they were able to get in on the action a bit in the recent Hugtto crossover at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 13, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

apparently they're only named as 'Power of the Moon' and 'Power of the Wind'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don't remember if any other series has done this but another interesting thing about Splash Star is that when the girls power up later in the series their title changes as well (Cure Bloom becomes Cure Bright and Cure Egret becomes Cure Windy), meaning that Saki and Mai are essentially both two Cures in one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 13, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

maybe when Precure is over and they're targetting older fans the same way they do with Rider, Sentai, and Digimon, they'll do stuff that aren't just crossovers but more niche appeal, where characters like the Kiryus and Regina and all that get to do stuff.

and Dark Precure will come back just to go back to the afterlife like all the dead Riders do.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

maybe when Precure is over and they're targetting older fans the same way they do with Rider, Sentai, and Digimon, they'll do stuff that aren't just crossovers but more niche appeal, where characters like the Kiryus and Regina and all that get to do stuff.

and Dark Precure will come back just to go back to the afterlife like all the dead Riders do.

They've done some novels for Futari Wa, Heartcatch (which is Yuri's past which seems super fun) and Smile. I was thinking we could see one done for anime much like how Kamen Rider Amazons was done

Larryb posted:

I don't remember if any other series has done this but another interesting thing about Splash Star is that when the girls power up later in the series their title changes as well (Cure Bloom becomes Cure Bright and Cure Egret becomes Cure Windy), meaning that Saki and Mai are essentially both two Cures in one.

I've always wondered if the original plan was to have the Kiryu's become Cure's but that ended up getting shelved cause of how bad Cure White vs Cure Black ended up going over with kids.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Those names originally going to be the Cure titles for the Kiryus actually makes a lot of sense given their power sets (not sure what the whole Cure Black Vs.Cure White thing has to do with them not being made official Cures though).

Not sure how a more adult version of Precure would be like unless you want to do something akin to Madoka. Maybe play up the idea that these are basically child soldiers a bit more?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If they were worried about that sort of thing I wonder how the hell Dark Precure happened because what ended up happening there is arguably even more traumatic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

If they were worried about that sort of thing I wonder how the hell Dark Precure happened because what ended up happening there is arguably even more traumatic

And then didn't they basically do the same thing again in Smile with the Bad End Precure (though maybe not to the same extent)? I think that may have been the last time they did a Cure vs Cure fight in the series however.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 13, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

eh.

The Bad End Precure are kind of boring. They're not treated with anywhere near the importance Dark Precure or Dark Dream are in their narratives, nor are the implications of their creation explored. They're just around as a reference to Yes, because Smile leans really hard on Yes, and then go away.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

eh.

The Bad End Precure are kind of boring. They're not treated with anywhere near the importance Dark Precure or Dark Dream are in their narratives, nor are the implications of their creation explored. They're just around as a reference to Yes, because Smile leans really hard on Yes, and then go away.

True, they were basically glorified MOTW in that series if I remember right. There was also a Dark Precure of sorts in HeartCatch as well but the Yes version of the concept was probably the most interesting.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I was literally talking about Dark Precure when I started this conversation. Her final fate and over all origins are utterly devastating. That's why I compared her to Black fighting White. If that was such a dealbreaker back in the day, it's surprising that they, not many years later, wrote a character who was never allowed to live her own life, was defined by her envy of who was effectively her sister, and, ultimately, the circumstances of her birth lead to what is normally portrayed as unambiguously good - purifying the villain - causes her to DIE instead. No heel face turn. No being reborn later. Just. She's GONE.

She's not only several levels darker than Precure fighting each other, she's a subversion of what happened to every character like her that came before her, the powers that the Precure use to save everyone literally mean she can't be saved.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The big difference between Dark Precure and the Black/White fight is that Dark Precure started off as a villain and was developed over the series unlike the second Futari Wa movie having the Black and White be friends then end up fighting. One is easier to lead kids into (and space out) while the Black vs White fight just hit everything so rapid fire.

Plus you have the EAS and Dark Dream movie (and even the Kiryu's) happen so Precure was able to loosen the rules. Hell in Kira they came as close to they ever have of having an actual Cure vs Cure fight when Cure Gelato rampaged for her episode.
The thing with Splash Star is it was the show after the fall out from the movie so it had to pay the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

... I was literally talking about Dark Precure when I started this conversation. Her final fate and over all origins are utterly devastating. That's why I compared her to Black fighting White.

Ah right, got confused for a moment (though Dark Dream was still pretty good too from what I remember). I beleive the Bad End Precure was the last time we really had a Cure Vs. Cure fight apart from the aforementioned Cure Gelato episode, but despite that I'm curious if a straight up evil Cure could work in this day and age.

Like for example, you could have the villains of a season manage to develop a power similar to what the Precure use and capture some random girl to test it on, or have it be someone who gains the power through normal means but instead willingly decides to abuse it for their own gain (basically a Precure version of AbareKiller), they could then be an enemy for a while before joining up near the end (or maybe not even join up at all but that's a bit less likely). Someone who uses the same power set as the main heroines and could actually match them in combat would be an interesting villain I feel. Dark Precure kind of did this already to be fair but giving said evil Cure a civilian identity would add an extra layer of menace onto that (plus some extra story potential).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 13, 2018