Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

Do you mean that you would put the meat in the oven instead of searing it in a hot pan/blowtorching the outside like I do? That's a new one on me; can this be done with steaks? Times/temps?

Steaks aren't ideal for that. Unless super thick, they heat through quickly, and because they're flat they're easy to pan sear anyway. But a thick steak high in an oven with a broiler element works very well.

It's best for things that are harder to pan sear, a curved or uneven surface. I've used this on skin-on chicken breast and whole chickens recently. In both cases I cooled down the meat before debagging it, because oven searing takes a bit longer. I didn't time it, but put the oven on full blast and let it sit until I was happy with it. In my experience this also brought the cooled core temp up to a nice serving temp.

Patting it dry is important so you don't waste heating time on evaporating water. Perhaps a little butter baste would be good on a lean surface.

It really helps if you have a powerful broiler. Think of it as the common man's salamander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dewgy posted:

It's a clever new technological thing that works on very very basic physics principles, and I think it's neat and offers amazingly consistent results.
It's not particularly new, it's just getting more popular among home cooks. The underlying idea---sealing food in pouches and then cooking in a water bath at low temperatures---was first implemented in the '60s, for industrial preparation of meals for hospital food service. Here's a description from May of 1969 (in Cornell Hotel & Restaurant Administration Quarterly):

And here's a link to the patent application.

There were a couple of chefs who hosed around with the idea in the '70s, but it wasn't until the early '90s that it started creeping into high-end cooking. It eventually made its way into the repertoire of guys like Heston Blumenthal and Thomas Keller, and they introduced it to a broader audience that first used old industrial immersion circulators (there are people in this thread that started out with old PolyScience ICs) and DIY PID setups.

But even given all that, the SousVide Supreme (which was the first s-v setup designed for the home cook) is just shy of a decade old at this point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SubG posted:

It's not particularly new, it's just getting more popular among home cooks. The underlying idea---sealing food in pouches and then cooking in a water bath at low temperatures---was first implemented in the '60s, for industrial preparation of meals for hospital food service. Here's a description from May of 1969 (in Cornell Hotel & Restaurant Administration Quarterly):

And here's a link to the patent application.

There were a couple of chefs who hosed around with the idea in the '70s, but it wasn't until the early '90s that it started creeping into high-end cooking. It eventually made its way into the repertoire of guys like Heston Blumenthal and Thomas Keller, and they introduced it to a broader audience that first used old industrial immersion circulators (there are people in this thread that started out with old PolyScience ICs) and DIY PID setups.

But even given all that, the SousVide Supreme (which was the first s-v setup designed for the home cook) is just shy of a decade old at this point.

Neat! I didn't realize there was that much history, but yeah the home use side is still pretty new.

Funny enough I think my own foray into wanting to try SV started a good while back too, maybe 8 years or so? I remember some SA-mart seller offering some kind of odd DIY SV kit for a reasonable price, which was a little janky but seemed like it'd work great. Then they got banned for being scammers. :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dewgy posted:

Neat! I didn't realize there was that much history, but yeah the home use side is still pretty new.
Yeah, s-v is like most of the underlying sciencey poo poo that characterizes modernist/molecular/whatever cooking: it's basically industrial food prep from the mid 20th Century rebranded as posh. Like today everyone immediately reacts to s-v and sodium citrate and so on as spergy food nerd poo poo, but in the early '90s the immediate associations were microwave dinners and Cheez Whiz.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SubG posted:

Yeah, s-v is like most of the underlying sciencey poo poo that characterizes modernist/molecular/whatever cooking: it's basically industrial food prep from the mid 20th Century rebranded as posh. Like today everyone immediately reacts to s-v and sodium citrate and so on as spergy food nerd poo poo, but in the early '90s the immediate associations were microwave dinners and Cheez Whiz.

I can’t wait until MSG hits the same stage in ten more years. Umami for everyone.

That and CVAP or combi ovens. Rational could make a killing with a home model. Installation requirements alone make an install today rather prohibitive in a home today.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks like they make a tiny one (the XS) and the only install requirement is that you need a big boy electrical connection and a vent hood.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can someone briefly explain breaking down of collagen? From what I've read, 24-72 hour cooks at 131 will break down the connective tissue, but I've also read that the temperature at which collagen breaks down is 160. What am I not understanding here; will I not get good results doing a lean steak with a lot of connective tissue for 131/48?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Can someone briefly explain breaking down of collagen? From what I've read, 24-72 hour cooks at 131 will break down the connective tissue, but I've also read that the temperature at which collagen breaks down is 160. What am I not understanding here; will I not get good results doing a lean steak with a lot of connective tissue for 131/48?

Yes. Collagen breakdown is a function of time and temperature, so it does indeed gelatinize at 131 it just takes a long long time. I do short ribs at 131.5 for 48 hours and they are god drat delicious.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Any recommendations on a cooler/lid for long cooks? I found some containers on amazon that looked good but they were stupidly pricy for a plastic tub. I've been using a big cheap steel stock pot on my stove (burner off, of course) with some aluminum foil to cover it, but I feel like getting something more "proper"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sentient Data posted:

Any recommendations on a cooler/lid for long cooks? I found some containers on amazon that looked good but they were stupidly pricy for a plastic tub. I've been using a big cheap steel stock pot on my stove (burner off, of course) with some aluminum foil to cover it, but I feel like getting something more "proper"

If you mean like the plastic tupperware/lid things, yeah they're expensive, but it's absolutely worth it.

Bin: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L6PRY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Might be referral links if anyone cares, but I'm not sure)

Got those last year and it's made a huge difference. The snug fit of the lid basically means it's perfect for doing higher temp stuff without major evaporation and it's super handy to have a dedicated vessel for the SV. The bin ends up being where I keep the Anova when I'm not using it, so it's like a case for it too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's also very feasible to just get a standard plastic lid for your cambro/rubbermaid and spend a little time with a box cutter to get a snug hole cut in it - but it looks like those precut ones are now basically the same prices as a normal lid.

it's totally worth it, either way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m led to believe that ping pong balls are as good thermally as a lid with hole, but don’t funnel steam into the innards of your circulator.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I lead that belief. They work well enough for SV evaporation, you won't lose a cook while at work or overnight. I wouldn't try to claim it works as well as a closed system/lid.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I’m led to believe that ping pong balls are as good thermally as a lid with hole, but don’t funnel steam into the innards of your circulator.

for what it's worth, I've never had any issue with steam with mine - if it fits snugly, very little escapes and what does isn't really going inside, because it's that wider ring part that sits on the hole.

maybe different models or brands other than anova might change that though? i've never used anything but the one kind

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was just thinking, since even the salt that falls off and pools in the bag will contribute to a cook, is there even a reason for me to directly salt the steak before putting it in? Can't i just put the steak in as is, then toss in all my seasonings afterwards?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Salt affects the moisture loss of the meat, especially at the surface where it is in contact with a steak. Having a drier surface is usually good for meat, because the tasty Maillard reactions only occur above 212F, so all the water has to evaporate off the surface before your meat will brown properly. Assuming you sear whatever you sous vide before you eat it, that is.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Salt affects the moisture loss of the meat, especially at the surface where it is in contact with a steak. Having a drier surface is usually good for meat, because the tasty Maillard reactions only occur above 212F, so all the water has to evaporate off the surface before your meat will brown properly. Assuming you sear whatever you sous vide before you eat it, that is.

That’s not the question at all, he’s asking if you vac seal the meat and do a cook, does evenly coating the meat in salt make a difference as the meat is sitting in a pool of its own juices and dissolved salt to cook.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I imagine it depends on the cooking time. If it's a short cook you're just seasoning and should probably evenly distribute, mr osmosis will be localized. If it's long it shouldn't matter as after moisture loss in the meat you'll basically be brining it as it cooks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Instant Pot has an immersion circulator for $60, 800w. Might be the first Anova knockoff to actually provide real competition

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Instant Pot has an immersion circulator for $60, 800w. Might be the first Anova knockoff to actually provide real competition

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9

My sister bought me that one for Christmas last year, I've been pretty happy with it so far.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DI342B4

(Canadian link)

Is this a good buy for both sous vide and for general preservation? Mostly solids but maybe also soft things or liquids?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I never cook turkey. Usually thanksgiving is small and my wife and kids are vegetarian. But I’ll have a few extra family members and was thinking about SV-ing a “portion” of turkey.

Do stores sell portions of turkey? (Raw)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Get a whole one and spatchcock it? That's what I'm thinking of doing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sentient Data posted:

Get a whole one and spatchcock it? That's what I'm thinking of doing

Overkill, but maybe that for a smaller game bird...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

Overkill, but maybe that for a smaller game bird...

You can often find a turkey breast for sale at a butcher, but that’s more than one serving. Freezes pretty well once you vac it though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That reminds me, I should try quail or some other fancy French bird sous vide some time.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
They sell turkey breasts just like whole turkey. I see them in my local Kroger year round, so you should be able to find them wherever you are.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

You can often find a turkey breast for sale at a butcher, but that’s more than one serving. Freezes pretty well once you vac it though.

Well it’s be for 4 people at least. Because I’ll have 3 meat eating guests beyond myself. Thanks for the tip. :)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Well it’s be for 4 people at least. Because I’ll have 3 meat eating guests beyond myself. Thanks for the tip. :)

Turkey breast seems like a great candidate for deep frying, fwiw.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DI342B4

(Canadian link)

Is this a good buy for both sous vide and for general preservation? Mostly solids but maybe also soft things or liquids?

I got this instead in case anyone cares

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073DGT7XY/

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

xtal posted:

I got this instead in case anyone cares

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073DGT7XY/

Oh drat, I was just going to reply to your other post because I have that same Foodsaver you linked and I think it is cool and good.

But that one you bought is dramatically cheaper and will probably be fine too.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
FYI, Anova is having a big black Friday sale right now, 60-70 CAD off. I was gonna get my parents one for Christmas so I'm hitting this up cause who knows if they'll still be that cheap in December (probably not I'm guessing).

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
You can often find the full breast bone in called a turkey crown roast which is enough to do a sous vide turchetta etc. Depending on the size should be enough for 4 people with sides.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
How much worse is the Anova Nano compared to the normal one? Not sure if I should spend the extra $25 dollars for my first sous vide circulator.

Or should I just wait and see if the Joule goes on sale for black friday?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

horchata posted:

How much worse is the Anova Nano compared to the normal one? Not sure if I should spend the extra $25 dollars for my first sous vide circulator.

The wirecutter believes in the Nano, with the Joule as the runner up. They give a comparison to the standard Anova to show you the differences.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/

The one that they are missing, though, and that I've read good things about, was the instant pot circulator. It's competitive with the higher-end Anova, though, so you're probably best off with the Anova Nano. https://bgr.com/2018/10/22/instant-pot-sous-vide-on-amazon/

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

tips for sous viding a whole prime rib?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Reverse sear aka roast low n slow then finish high. For non collageny parts this is the best. You'll still get great edge to edge doneness with a perfect crust and minimal greybanding.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Since there's been a distinct lack of pictures lately, here's a top round I cooked at 131 last night for about 6 hours. I've got a thicker one going for 9 overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I did a little 2lb piece of rib roast on Saturday and it came out amazing. Did it for 4hrs at 129F then ice bathed for a bit before finishing it on the smoker. It was more like a big ol steak than prime rib and I'm hoping the larger part of the roast will come out more like a traditional prime rib. Today or tomorrow I'll do the other 4lbs for like 6hrs, then ice bath and back in the fridge before finishing it on Thanksgiving.

Honestly though the only reason I'm doing it this way is because the thing is pretty small and it frees up the oven/smoker for other things.