Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright, Here's the revised list of The Gay Mac Saga episodes:

"Charlie Has Cancer"
"Mac Is a Serial Killer"
"Mac Fights Gay Marriage"
"Mac Day"
"Being Frank"
"Charlie Catches a Leprechaun"
"The Gang Goes to Hell"
"The Gang Goes to Hell part 2"
"Hero or Hate crime"
"Mac finds his Pride"

I left out "Dee Gives Birth" because even though it's a good episode and it has Carmen in it it really doesn't have anything to do with Mac's sexuality, I also added "Being Frank" because I feel like it provides important context for both "Hero or Hate crime" and "Mac finds his pride".

Toss in The Gang Gets Analyzed. "A well-placed pen can have quite an effect on a man like him. This must have given him quite the thrill. I bet he tried to suck on this. Did he? Huh? It's okay, Doc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

vseslav.botkin posted:

I really like seeing the gang get a win every once in a while -- obviously a big part of humor is surprise, so tonight was a real treat for me. One of my favorite moments of the show, along with Charlie giving Brad Fisher a box of hornets and walking away totally pleased with himself.

Charlie and Mac beating the utter poo poo out of those kids in this very season, then hiding in the back of Dennis' landrover :allears:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/gahd72u.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/UzicsR6.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/1m3sORS.gifv

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tokelau All Star posted:

Toss in The Gang Gets Analyzed. "A well-placed pen can have quite an effect on a man like him. This must have given him quite the thrill. I bet he tried to suck on this. Did he? Huh? It's okay, Doc."

Good call!

If they ever remake American Psycho Glenn Howerton is the ONLY choice for the lead.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I may be forgetting something, but this is the second grossest thing I've seen on the show after Dee's pinkeye.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That dance was amazing. Never say this show doesn't at least swing for the fences

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If they ever remake American Psycho Glenn Howerton is the ONLY choice for the lead.

i really want to see him do well cause hes scary good at his job but his other parts have been so small/similar that its hard for me to separate him from dennis and i fear its hard for others too :(

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t think this show gets its due as one of the best shows of all time regardless of genre.

I felt that way before this episode but this was like the cherry on top.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Krankenstyle posted:

i really want to see him do well cause hes scary good at his job but his other parts have been so small/similar that its hard for me to separate him from dennis and i fear its hard for others too :(

I dont think thats really that big of a deal. Plenty of actors get identified from 1 or 2 major roles in their career. They still do ok.

I mean Bruce Willis is still always John McClain and Arnold Schwarzenegger is always going to be the terminator.

Even when they have entirely different roles, its still who they are and the movies are still fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's because they have no acting range

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

That dance was amazing. Never say this show doesn't at least swing for the fences

I don't think anyone has ever accused this show of not swinging for the fences. It's got to, because if it doesn't, then it won't cross the line twice, and that's the only thing that makes some of the more cringey scenes funny. (Of course, now that I say that, I can think of a couple/few episodes this season that felt kind-of lazy....) ((Yeah, this season was real hit-and-miss for me.))

And, yeah, the dance was amazing.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I mean Bruce Willis is still always John McClain

I think you mean, "... John McClain will always be David Addison," because Bruce Willis is David Addison, and so is John McClain.

(When I was a kid, my mom bought the album he released in the 80s. The cassette, anyway. And I listened to it a lot. And I liked it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4LqmyjexA

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 11, 2018

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

tarlibone posted:

I think you mean, "... John McClain will always be David Addison," because Bruce Willis is David Addison, and so is John McClain.

moonlighting was a great show

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I dont think thats really that big of a deal. Plenty of actors get identified from 1 or 2 major roles in their career. They still do ok.

I mean Bruce Willis is still always John McClain and Arnold Schwarzenegger is always going to be the terminator.

Even when they have entirely different roles, its still who they are and the movies are still fine.

Actually Bruce was the goofy guy from moonlighting until he did die hard and so on

They need to break from their breakthrough character

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lmao sorry, replied before I saw y'all mention moonlighting

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just watched the episode, and it was easy to get what they were doing, and they delivered. It was pretty emotional.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I will maintain until the day I die that Mac in The Gang Gets Racist responding to Terrell's "I took him to the alley and I tore his rear end apart" with "I would like to do stuff like that" was the first hint at his evil, homo ways

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Aye Doc posted:

I will maintain until the day I die that Mac in The Gang Gets Racist responding to Terrell's "I took him to the alley and I tore his rear end apart" with "I would like to do stuff like that" was the first hint at his evil, homo ways

One of the reasons the Mac is gay story feels so organic is even before the show was intentionally hinting at it, the show was unintentionally hinting at it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It feels like the show was hinting at it from season 1 honestly

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'We're going to do some rear end blasting of our own'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"...not gay sex."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well he dated Carmen in S1, so yeah, it was always there in some way.

Its tough to know if they had any actual mind to say that he was closeted or repressed at the time or if it was just a general laugh about how much he overcompensates.

Like, I was just watching "Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad" and Mac and Charlie spend the entire episode talking about how "hard" they want to get and "pounding on" the pedophile dad. I don't think that was hinting at something deeper so much as it was just some juvenile humor at their dense expense.

My guess is it was always kind of an idea in their back of their minds and it just developed organically. Like, I just finished S2 and there's no hints of Mac's crush on Dennis. Hell, there's even a few moments that feel off because Dennis is copying Mac or Mac is dismissing Dennis. I think stuff like that just developed over time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFB2vI5lnR4

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NOTHING SEXUAL

I can't believe Mac missed an opportunity to hook up with Sam Witmer.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Got around to watching the episode. DID NOT SEE ANY OF THAT COMING. Not many (if any?) episodes have a somber tone like that. Only a few jokes sprinkled in. And the ending was something else. I liked it. I'm glad they didn't cheapen it with a joke at the very end.

My guess is that Frank is going to try to relate more to Mac by incorrectly talking to him about "gay" stuff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cojawfee posted:

That's because they have no acting range

Arnold is amazing in every facet of his life besides acting and probably being a governor but his acting is definitely god awful, god bless him though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doltos posted:

Arnold is amazing in every facet of his life besides acting and probably being a governor but his acting is definitely god awful, god bless him though.
There's all kinds of interviews in Star Trek circles about how everybody who auditioned for Data played him terribly and until you saw how hosed the performances were, it was hard to appreciate just how much Brent Spiner actually put into being an emotionless android who's still interesting.

Arnold is a lot of things, but a bad actor isn't one of them.

When I was in film school, we had to take some classes in the drama department to make us more well-rounded than just technical filmmakers, and the department head, a working actor you've probably seen play Cop #3 in like five shows and seven movies but would never know his name, imparted on us two lessons I'll never forget:

1.) Get typecast. Don't run from it. When one casting director remembers how solid you were as the aforementioned Cop #3, you will never hurt for bit work and now you have your bills paid as you seek out more interesting parts.

and 2.) There are actors, and there are movie stars. And lots of actors are movie stars, and not all movie stars are actors, but once Hollywood loves you for doing one thing, the fact that you can do other poo poo kind of ceases to matter, because both the executives and the public at large kinda' only want to see you do that one thing.

Arnold, just within the Terminator series, played the same role several times, and it always changed. But in T1, he was a slasher villain and in T2, he had to do understated comedy and action-hero stuff and a litany of other subdued stuff and it's all very subtle until T3 and let's not talk about anything beyond that.

Another good example of this is H. Jon Benjamin, who can do a litany of voices, but almost every time he gets in a sound booth, the direction he's given is "just do McGuirk."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The actress who plays Mac’s mom is playing Jon Voight’s character’s sister in this season of Ray Donovan.

It’s the most i’ve ever seen her speak.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Got around to watching the episode. DID NOT SEE ANY OF THAT COMING. Not many (if any?) episodes have a somber tone like that. Only a few jokes sprinkled in. And the ending was something else. I liked it. I'm glad they didn't cheapen it with a joke at the very end.

My guess is that Frank is going to try to relate more to Mac by incorrectly talking to him about "gay" stuff.
Nah, I don't think Frank will do that.

The point was to remove the "gay Mac" joke they've been running with since Season 1. This episode was dead serious specifically because the main barrier to normalizing Mac's sexuality was the most bigoted main character in the show, Frank. Remember that Frank was the one who exclaimed "Look out, human being" triggering Mac's 'coming out' episode last season. As long as Frank was a bigot (against gay people anyway) there was no way for Mac and Frank to exist without Frank insulting Mac's sexuality. I'm sure the writers also didn't want there to be an implied continuing animosity between Mac and Frank. The show's characters do "hate" each other, but they're family, and having an outright homophobe in a group with a gay man is a touchy dynamic for a comedy show. Most of this episode was Mac painfully trying to explain to Frank why he wasn't the stereotype that Frank thought he was.

Another issue is the writers didn't want to entirely dismiss the prejudice that gay people face day-to-day, so they needed a way to get rid of the on-screen bigots without saying that homophobia no longer exists. Therefore Frank is redeemed, while Mac's father symbolizes the ongoing struggle for acceptance that gay people face; but since he is an absentee father he can go away and the show can move on. Frank and the other prisoners symbolize the shelter from overwhelming hatred that gay people can find in a changing world.

Mac's transition from closeted gay man, to confused-but-out gay man, to confident and accepted gay man lets the writers dump the gay joke entirely and venture into non-gay reasons why Mac is a total idiot and piece of poo poo. Why do the writers want to do that? Because the audience wanted Mac to come out, but making Mac a gay man killed his character's joke: that he's extremely conservative and acts out in overly masculine and homoerotic ways because he's in the closet.

tl:dr: Having Mac be a victim of prejudice on an ongoing basis isn't funny.

Also, Jesus, that dance routine was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on TV.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 12, 2018

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Well he dated Carmen in S1, so yeah, it was always there in some way.

Its tough to know if they had any actual mind to say that he was closeted or repressed at the time or if it was just a general laugh about how much he overcompensates.

She's still a woman and he viewed her as such at the time, it's not a sign that he was gay.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly you’re nuts if you think they’ve been building up mac as gay since season one

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

romanowski posted:

honestly you’re nuts if you think they’ve been building up mac as gay since season one

They've been building up Mac as a guy who's incredibly unconfident in his own sexuality since season one - it just dovetails nicely into him being gay.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, the hypermasculine guy having some insecurities and gay impulses is a pretty stock joke and that's clearly all they were doing originally

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
In all this discussion about the origin of Gay Mac, I can't believe Charlie Got Molested isn't part of your considerations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQHWqBgqck

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

romanowski posted:

It wasn't really intentional until later seasons when the Flanderization took effect but there were cues as far back as the first season, even if they only work retrospectively.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I haven't watched all of it's always sunny, seeing just random episodes from random seasons but I find it odd how the actor plays Mac in the new season (only seen two episodes of it). He seems way more toned down and not much like Mac from previous seasons. I don't mind if the character grew a little but it feels like there aren't many mannerisms that resemble Mac at all. He's way more of a straight man now and I found it a little off. He feels like a different character altogether. But I haven't seen the rest of the season or the season before that so I dunno if it's a gradual change.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DuhSal posted:

I haven't watched all of it's always sunny, seeing just random episodes from random seasons but I find it odd how the actor plays Mac in the new season (only seen two episodes of it). He seems way more toned down and not much like Mac from previous seasons. I don't mind if the character grew a little but it feels like there aren't many mannerisms that resemble Mac at all. He's way more of a straight man now and I found it a little off. He feels like a different character altogether. But I haven't seen the rest of the season or the season before that so I dunno if it's a gradual change.
I really like it. Firstly, because of course he'd be more well-adjusted after accepting who he is, and secondly because the times he's more grounded are when Dennis isn't around, and I don't know if you've ever hung out with a group of toxic assholes on the reg, but they regularly slot people into roles, and if the person in any of those roles isn't around, somebody else is slotted right in.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

DuhSal posted:

He's way more of a straight man now

I don't know about that :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, the hypermasculine guy having some insecurities and gay impulses is a pretty stock joke and that's clearly all they were doing originally

Yeah, that's all I meant to say. He definitely wasn't gay at the start but it was obviously a joke to undermine his hyper masculine self identity with insecurities and blind spots and it just evolved.

Ammonsa posted:

She's still a woman and he viewed her as such at the time, it's not a sign that he was gay.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to try she wasn't a woman or anything like that. Just that obviously the way they played it was as Mac being defensive and secretive. But again, I think back in S1 it was just a gag at his macho behavior and how he wanted to be perceived. The actual "Mac is gay" stuff didn't start up until later.

I apologize for what I can see was obviously a super bad way to say it that kind of suggested Carmen was a gay dude.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 12, 2018