Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you really, honestly, think that this was "designed" this way?

Like, someone actually sat down, thought about it, and said "Yes, I think that a brand new game with a new map should overwrite a completely different game by default. That is what most players want."

At the very least, someone sat down and coded the save feature and in the moment decided on the design decision. Maybe this was Kovrex when he was the only person working on the game. The way it works I would be very surprised if it was "an accident".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just seems like a variable that isn't set to some default when starting a new game, so it contains the old value. Looks like a bug to me, not an intended decision.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It uses the name of the last written save. If you copy a save from somewhere else and it has the latest modification time that will be your "default" save name. It will also be selected in the load screen.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jabor posted:

Do you believe the Factorio devs are fragile snowflakes that need to be protected from ... ever seeing a bug report about some probably-not-intended behaviour in their product?

They have more bugs closed as "this is a feature request and not a bug" than actual bugs. They're just trying to keep it clean.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jabor posted:

Do you believe the Factorio devs are fragile snowflakes that need to be protected from ... ever seeing a bug report about some probably-not-intended behaviour in their product?

Game developers and game lead designers are two different things; developers usually are reasonable if not bit near-sighted. My experience from the industry is that the designers tend to go to the "my baby my rules" mindset and after certain point might become a major hindrance to the end-product quality unless there is someone to clearly tell them to go suck poo poo, if necessary.

Hand over the keys to the company to the lead designer and Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever happens.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Der Kyhe posted:

Game developers and game lead designers are two different things; developers usually are reasonable if a bit near-sighted. My experience from the industry is that the designers tend to go to the "my baby my rules" mindset and after certain point might become a major hindrance to the end-product quality unless there is someone to clearly tell them to go suck poo poo, if necessary.

Hand over the keys to the company to the lead designer and Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever happens.

This seems closer to my experience. I work mostly in consumer products/websites and I've had designers scream in my face when I suggest minor changes to match the rest of the UI. From what I've heard from other devs, the game industry is worse.

Which doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice for the default save name to be null or an empty string on starting a new game. There's a good chance that's not where the default save file gets set however, which would make things rather more complicated. The current behavior is a rather nice time saver usually so it'd be nice to keep it and round off the edge cases, but debugging is at least twice as hard as writing something new from scratch.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 2, 2018

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is there anyway to make a stack/filter inserter wait before it takes a finished material ( like iron plates) out of a furnace? Like say i want the inserter to wait for the stack to reach 40 before it takes it out of the furnace.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Is there anyway to make a stack/filter inserter wait before it takes a finished material ( like iron plates) out of a furnace? Like say i want the inserter to wait for the stack to reach 40 before it takes it out of the furnace.

Not that exact thing, but only because you can't wire furnaces to circuit networks

But putting together a general timer is possible.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Not that exact thing, but only because you can't wire furnaces to circuit networks

But putting together a general timer is possible.

How do i go about doing that exactly?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

How do i go about doing that exactly?

Oh boy phone posting that might be hard.

A constant combinator plugged into an adder combinator that loops back into itself as an output creates a counter that increases forever, once each frame.

You plug that into an arithmetic combinator with a modulo operation and that can create a timer that has specific values in a loop. The bigger the modulo, the longer the loop.

You can then use a condition on the inserters to make them active for any subsection of the loop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can't measure a furnace but you can measure chest.

I don't know why you'd want to since a furnace let's you take anything out but will continue making to a max even if you aren't taking it out but there you go.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

With a counting circuit you can track the *input* items, although you'd need extra math and storing the productivity fraction if you had prod mods involved.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Roflex posted:

With a counting circuit you can track the *input* items, although you'd need extra math and storing the productivity fraction if you had prod mods involved.

Though if you keep your furnace well supplied, you know exactly how long it will take for it to make 40 plates, so a simple frame counter is fine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I love timer based circuits but they have a way of murdering your UPS. Maybe it's gotten better, I haven't played much with them since logic got a performance overhall.

Input counting would be fun. Still not competing with making into a chest and the chest is just wired to an inserter so the inserter is only on with a bit in it. But I assume this is for being cool with circuits because I'm still not sure of the point.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Roflex posted:

Besides the usual oil/nuclear/power control and useless-but-fun stuff, I've been working some circuits into my bases in some new ways recently.

1) PWM Steam Control. Basically, make a clock that counts up 100 ticks and then resets. Wire that together with an accumulator. Connect to the pumps that feed your boilers - if clock > accumulator value, turn pumps on. This has the effect of only running the pumps X% of the time, where X is the amount of accumulator charge that's missing. Useful during the steam->solar transition period, so in daytime the boilers run a lot less to charge up accumulators, while at nighttime you'll get a slow transition from accumulator to steam power instead of ramming all the steam on at once. Controlling the pumps rather than the inserters or fuel belts makes the steam come on and off smoothly, and gives you a little bit of a buffer.

I guess the idea for daytime is that steam won't turn on if all the accumulators are full? This sounds easy enough even for me!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hey so I only recently got back to trying advice given to me

So my factory is really, really spaghetti. I don't know what service I'd use to upload a large screenshot.
I also largely don't know what I have or what I'm making in certain parts.
Like I have a box of steel somewhere I'm not sure what to do with because my current productions use steel as it's made well enough.

But I currently have most of my science unplugged, and it turns out I have a lot of ammo and making walls was easy but my pollution is...

I'm slowly getting one goal done at a time through 30 min to 1 hour sessions.
I think things are defended well enough for now, and this session I just set up 50 solar panels, 13 accumulators, and put my boilers on supply from fuel blocks instead of coal.
I also set up at least one train route to supply water to a battery factory automatically, so I'll be able to get the coal train for plastic bars to make into advanced circuits later.

But there's a lot to do to get the factory to pollute less and be more effecient. Electric furnaces need blue science, my factory in general needs robots to get things places, idk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The factory expands to meet the needs of the expanding factory.

Don't worry about being efficient or orderly or any of that. Just keep building.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Hey so I only recently got back to trying advice given to me

So my factory is really, really spaghetti. I don't know what service I'd use to upload a large screenshot.
I also largely don't know what I have or what I'm making in certain parts.
Like I have a box of steel somewhere I'm not sure what to do with because my current productions use steel as it's made well enough.

But I currently have most of my science unplugged, and it turns out I have a lot of ammo and making walls was easy but my pollution is...

I'm slowly getting one goal done at a time through 30 min to 1 hour sessions.
I think things are defended well enough for now, and this session I just set up 50 solar panels, 13 accumulators, and put my boilers on supply from fuel blocks instead of coal.
I also set up at least one train route to supply water to a battery factory automatically, so I'll be able to get the coal train for plastic bars to make into advanced circuits later.

But there's a lot to do to get the factory to pollute less and be more effecient. Electric furnaces need blue science, my factory in general needs robots to get things places, idk

Making good progress. I wouldn't worry about electric furnaces. Steel furnaces smelt just as fast and are more efficient (as long as power isn't solar/nuclear).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
but I want to reduce that huge pollution cloud, is it just from boilers?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

but I want to reduce that huge pollution cloud
:confused:

The bigger the pollution cloud the better you're doing! More factories, more power, more pollution. Pave the world!

In more seriousness - anything that burns will contribute significantly to pollution. Early on this will mostly be your smelters and boilers while later you can clean up some of it by switching to solar if you wish. Trees absorb some pollution as well if you don't clearcut everything.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well tonight I finally have advanced circuits under a production line but

I thought I'd be able to make a robotics network that provided materials to my network, but you don't get requester chests until something that requires purple science? How am I supposed to not make my base a huge belt spaghetti nightmare without having robots able to substitute for some belt lines.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
If you're using purely steam as your power source, every electrical machine, in addition to its listed pollution rate, also generates 1 pollution/s per 65kW back at the power plant. Steel furnaces work at speed 2 and pollute 3.6 (pollution/s). Electric furnaces also work at speed 2 and pollute 0.9, plus 180/65 (2.769), for a total pollution of sliiightly more than the steel furnace. They also effectively burn through coal (or whatever) faster because converting chemical fuel to electricity happens with 50% efficiency.

Also, most electric machines (except miners and pumpjacks) have an idle power consumption rate of 1/30 their full running rate, so if you ever have backed up plates, an electric smelting operation will still be polluting 0.03 on site and 0.0923 back at the power plant (and consume a little coal). Idle steel furnaces produce no pollution and consume no fuel.

It's small and not usually worth worrying about unless you want to. But you seem to want to, so...

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Robots suck rear end! Embrace the belt! My world is splitters and inserters, a sea of copper and iron plates surrounds me.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
:justpost:ing my... organized spaghetti factory? Will at least turn into spaghetti as soon as I decide I need to make things faster than this setup allows. Having an ever widening array of belts feels good in my brain. https://i.imgur.com/A9qIIaK.gifv

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That's.. amazing? That widening array is hilarious.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like that a lot.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Lemur Crisis posted:

:justpost:ing my... organized spaghetti factory? Will at least turn into spaghetti as soon as I decide I need to make things faster than this setup allows. Having an ever widening array of belts feels good in my brain.

Next logical step is to allow for easier branching from the bus and by leaving two spaces free between each material and you can get things across the bus without sending the entire trunk underground.

Also 4 rows is pretty nice for your frequently used materials. Iron, Copper, Green Chips, Red Chips.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

but I want to reduce that huge pollution cloud

:frogout:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chunjee posted:

Next logical step is to allow for easier branching from the bus and by leaving two spaces free between each material and you can get things across the bus without sending the entire trunk underground.

Also 4 rows is pretty nice for your frequently used materials. Iron, Copper, Green Chips, Red Chips.

:frogout:

If you're not using 4 blue rows of processors then get the H*ck out

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I want to see your base that consumes 160 processing units a second

edit: huh, guess thats not even 4rpm but i ignored modules

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

necrotic posted:

I want to see your base that consumes 160 processing units a second

edit: huh, guess thats not even 4rpm but i ignored modules

Run the base numbers on RPM + 1,000 science vials per minute! I haven't looked at blue chips specifically but when you get into consumption numbers like X dozen rail cars per minute, you have to be pushing 160 blues per.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I can’t think of any situation where you need 4 blue lines of blue chips where you’re not already switched over to exclusively using bots, unless you’re specifically not using bots. The amount of copper wire required alone would make the whole thing miserable.

In other news, I took a break from my angelsbobs game for like two months because I didn’t want to update my lines to increase the amount of iron I was producing & now I’m coming back to a factory where I don’t recall where anything is. I’ve updated the line though and now I just need to setup automated circuit boards, which mostly entails hooking up the other lines for smelting so I can make tinned copper wire and solder plates. I apparently got neutotic and built a mini-factory where I can dump the required mats in a bin, then the assemblers will make me boards so I would have them for purple inserters to make sifting out slag and rocks from ore processing easier. What the hell?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Belts for life. I only use bots in random areas like my mall and nuclear power. For the meat and potatoes it's belts all the way down.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

necrotic posted:

Belts for life. I only use bots in random areas like my mall and nuclear power. For the meat and potatoes it's belts all the way down.

I also play this way, the only exception I allow myself is loading trains, it's just way simpler to evenly balance X belts of output to Y train cars with maximum throughput that way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I started playing. I’m on peaceful. Should I start over with that off?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Peaceful is a totally legitimate way to play if you are starting out or if you just don't like the biter mechanics. I do enjoy the pressure they provide, I tend to play with biter aggression and evolution turned on but biter spread turned off so I only have to clear out nests once.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

euphronius posted:

No play on peaceful first. The biters are a challenge to overcome but not crucial to the game.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

euphronius posted:

Nah, the aliens add another couple of production lines to balance but nothing in terms of fundamental mechanics to the experience. Maybe add them in another game after you're satisfied with what you've done in your first factory. Or don't. Periodic tests of external defenses don't help when you're figuring out what to automate (everything) and how the first one or two times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Will I still have to kill bugs ?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

euphronius posted:

Will I still have to kill bugs ?

They are peaceful protesters. They won't move though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seems somewhat genocidal !!