Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Last I heard it sounded like Valve was trying to treat Artifact as a full-on collectible card game like Magic the Gathering, with card packs always costing money and players able to trade/sell each other cards. Have they gone even further?

Like, not that a business model like MtG's is acceptable or anything, I'm just curious if it's "super bad, gambling-based, and exploitative like MtG" or "somehow even worse."

It's really the worst of all worlds. To sum it up:

1. 20$ upfront cost to get the game (you get lovely starter decks and a few packs)
2. No free content (that is to say no rewards in non-pay game-modes , card crafting, etc)
3. Packs cost money
4. Draft is only accessible by paying money to buy tickets (you can win tickets in drafts but only if you win at least 3 times and only one ticket per draft even if you win 5 times)
5. No trading allowed, only selling on the steam marketplace for steambux (where Valve of course takes their standard cut)

Beta is currently dominated by rare cards so you can expect constructed to be P2W as hell. Draft is also fine-tuned so that no one, no matter how good, is averaging out anywhere close playing infinite through re-investing winnings (such as packs) into tickets.

The game seems interesting but the business model they went with is just something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Andrast posted:

It's like magic online (which is a piece of poo poo)

Not to be confused with Magic Arena, which is pretty good. But yeah, Artifact sounds like one of those CCGs that came out in Magic's wave except like, 20 years too late. I'd be REALLY surprised if it didn't flop hard, especially when its competition is Hearthstone and Magic the loving Gathering.

It should also be noted that event tickets are also ~$1 normally. Also lol that keep draft doesn't even let you go infinite at max wins. Like, c'mon now.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Who would do a good Stan Lee video? It would have to be about how he was a thief and a pirate who created an outsized public persona that he had to live every day of his life in order to sell comics.

To be fair, for all his faults, I believe Stan innovated introducing credits for guys like the letterers and inkers, and while you can definitely question exactly how much credit he deserves for making Marvel what it was, he never sunk to Bob Kane levels of supervillainy and loving over fellow creators. Although that might be damning him with faint praise.

Stan would make a good Dollop, I think.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Not to be confused with Magic Arena, which is pretty good. But yeah, Artifact sounds like one of those CCGs that came out in Magic's wave except like, 20 years too late. I'd be REALLY surprised if it didn't flop hard, especially when its competition is Hearthstone and Magic the loving Gathering.

It should also be noted that event tickets are also ~$1 normally.

They are sold only in bundles of 5, so you have to spend minimum 5 dollars to get tickets.(unless the FAQ is omitting that you can buy single tickets) But of course you already have idiots going on about how you just need 1 ticket, and you can go infinite and never pay again so the system is fine, because of course they believe that they are Kripp or Brian Kibbler and can win every game with even the worst decks.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You're probably not going to get much of an actual human overview of Stan Lee for a while now. Maybe a long while. Hell, look at Bohemian Rhapsody - nearly 30 years gone and yet no-one wants to really talk much about Freddie Mercury as a person, what actually made him who he was, the controversy of Sun City...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Any streamer looking to bail on Hearthstone should have jumped over to Eternal by now

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I'm not sure if I've seen Sarah Z mentioned in this thread before, she's only got like 44k subscribers and is mostly just 'person talks at a camera with the odd picture floating in shot' but she's thoughtful and incisive and definitely worth watching. Her video on the Late Capitalism of Fast Food Twitter is both fun and horrifying.

Anyway, she put out a video about JK Rowling's contribution to fanfiction and her awful twitter habits today. Worth a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6qJXLNL8Ik

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

speaking as someone who grew up reading and liking the harry potter books, gently caress jk rowling

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If anyone follows podcasts: the internet critic cross-promotion circle constricts tighter (or expands) as Maggie Mae Fish has Nyxfears on her podcast about friendship, My Top Eight.

I’m really impressed with her work at breaking into the biz by coming at multiple fronts and building a network. Also I’m shocked that it’s a full-on biz that people can try to break into now. Patreon switched things up a little, I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feiDWZDaum0

Flo has some news. The War is still going! By which I mean, the channel will continue and search for a new host since Indy has moved onto the next war, and their content will cover the Great War moments in greater detail and at a slower pace.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

hell, the business model sounds like it's designed with the expectation that it'll be a massive flop, so best extract as much cash as possible as quickly as possible and then leave it on life support until it doesn't bring in anything at all

I've got to wonder what people working at Valve even do. they, at one point in time, had probably the largest collection of talented, passionate game developers in the entire industry. any game they released was a smash hit and basically the gold standard of the industry in every regard. and now they're working on... fee-to-pay card games? updates for ten year old games? considering the raw financial freedom owning and operating Steam has given them, I'd have expected a little more.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shyrka posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen Sarah Z mentioned in this thread before, she's only got like 44k subscribers and is mostly just 'person talks at a camera with the odd picture floating in shot' but she's thoughtful and incisive and definitely worth watching. Her video on the Late Capitalism of Fast Food Twitter is both fun and horrifying.

Anyway, she put out a video about JK Rowling's contribution to fanfiction and her awful twitter habits today. Worth a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6qJXLNL8Ik
Oh yeah, I really liked her LCoFFT video but never actually watched anything else from her.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm kind of surprised they released a game at all. I got the feeling that anyone who actually wanted to make games had left. Then again they bought Campo Santo so who knows.

How is the writing in Artifact? I mean I know it's a card game, but even in games where writing is not the focus Valve was always good for that stuff. TF2 has infinitely more character than Overwatch, Dota 2 is the only moba that seems to bother giving characters more than a dozen lines, even Left 4 Dead has some memorable dialogue. That was back before all of the major writers quit, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cicadalek posted:

I'm kind of surprised they released a game at all. I got the feeling that anyone who actually wanted to make games had left. Then again they bought Campo Santo so who knows.

How is the writing in Artifact? I mean I know it's a card game, but even in games where writing is not the focus Valve was always good for that stuff. TF2 has infinitely more character than Overwatch, Dota 2 is the only moba that seems to bother giving characters more than a dozen lines, even Left 4 Dead has some memorable dialogue. That was back before all of the major writers quit, though.

part of me wants a portal 3 or a half life 3, but i don't think it would live up to the hype and probably be ok at best if they ever saw the light of day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This Ask Chris article is from a few years ago but it's still the best piece on Stan Lee that I've read, describing him as both the most overrated and underrated figure in comics.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 13, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Fabricated posted:

Probably like a zillion really bad Stan Lee videos incoming

Why would...wait...

Oh...:smith:

Kim Justice posted:

You're probably not going to get much of an actual human overview of Stan Lee for a while now. Maybe a long while. Hell, look at Bohemian Rhapsody - nearly 30 years gone and yet no-one wants to really talk much about Freddie Mercury as a person, what actually made him who he was, the controversy of Sun City...

"I ain't gonna play Sun City"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 13, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Eagerly awaiting the one from Count Jackula where he talks about all the female superheroes he jerked it to. Because he put out a video the day after Carrie Fisher died proudly insinuating that he jerked off to Slave Leia a lot. There’s no joke there. I’m just saying Count Jackula is one gross motherfucker.

While looking for funny reviews of horror flicks, I stumbled on Jackula but did not linger long. Doing shock value for humor requires one be funny for it to work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyXtuDRcWDs

Bennett looks at Satoshi Kon's only television project: Paranoia Agent.

I really need to track this show down but holy hell that might be a challenge.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paranoia Agent is loving great and I'd love to own it but for whatever reason the only official release I can find is an old-as-hell DVD release that's not even in the right region for me. It deserves a lot better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

While looking for funny reviews of horror flicks, I stumbled on Jackula but did not linger long. Doing shock value for humor requires one be funny for it to work.

He's also an alt-right nutbar and carries the distinction* of being one of the few people Channel Awesome actually fired because he was that much of a toxic loon.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
He flipped fully onto the alt-right train 'coz something something SJWs CENSORING MAH TIDDIES, the most fragile white boy.

I checked out on him earlier than that, stumbled onto a stream he was doing where he was positing that Autistic people don't have inner-monologues or some poo poo ergo they're not complete humans, couldn't nope out of there fast enough.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Charlie "Diaper Dash" Kirk wrote a book.

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1062094237892796420

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Arist posted:

Paranoia Agent is loving great and I'd love to own it but for whatever reason the only official release I can find is an old-as-hell DVD release that's not even in the right region for me. It deserves a lot better.

At least they've been nice enough to leave it up on Youtube. A few years back the Adult Swim thread did a watch party through one of those YouTube synch sites, and it looks like that playlist is still up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its weird seeing that these dudes actualy believe the delusional bullshit they spew and actualy view themselves as super littlefinger type genius. like i always viewed kirk as dumb opportunist getting payed by whatever Rich chud donors would pay, but i guess he has to be a true believer after all the stupid embarassing poo poo he has done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

seriously 'Stan Lee more like Stan Stole Everything And Never Made Anything Am I Right' is a deeply lazy and stupid take yet still it is true he shouldn't be held up as some uniquely solo visionary who was the only guy on earth to think 'what if Man were to Iron?' and that article was about the only one to properly capture that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its weird seeing that these dudes actualy believe the delusional bullshit they spew and actualy view themselves as super littlefinger type genius. like i always viewed kirk as dumb opportunist getting payed by whatever Rich chud donors would pay, but i guess he has to be a true believer after all the stupid embarassing poo poo he has done.

oh don't be mistaken, Kirk's still a huge grifter, there was an article a little ways back about how a bunch of other conservative figureheads really really hate him and Candace Owens for grifting too hard with Kanye and in turn driving him away from them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arist posted:

There's the Madman-released Fatpack in Australia, but I think even that's hard to find now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

oh don't be mistaken, Kirk's still a huge grifter, there was an article a little ways back about how a bunch of other conservative figureheads really really hate him and Candace Owens for grifting too hard with Kanye and in turn driving him away from them.

yeah, didn't kanye find rick and morty so he could make weird fan art instead of defending nazis?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

speaking as someone who grew up reading and liking the harry potter books, gently caress jk rowling

Same.

It was fun reading those in school and surprising people as I finish them in four days.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arist posted:

Yeah I don't know what the hell it is, but for some reason like, Paprika is the only Kon that isn't hard to find. Get on it Criterion and put out a boxset with Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and everything else.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well, I read the Megyn Kelly autobiography and she seems to actually believe she was being a journalist on Fox News. In both cases it could be that they're grifters but like to have the respectability of a Serious Book. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I've got to wonder what people working at Valve even do. they, at one point in time, had probably the largest collection of talented, passionate game developers in the entire industry. any game they released was a smash hit and basically the gold standard of the industry in every regard. and now they're working on... fee-to-pay card games? updates for ten year old games? considering the raw financial freedom owning and operating Steam has given them, I'd have expected a little more.

I think a lot of Valve is dedicated to engineering Steam and its marketplace to generate as much revenue as possible, which is probably part of why Artifact is so tied to it. There's likely quite a bit of work that goes into maximizing revenue from the marketplace, so I'd expect there are a decent number of employees focused on that. Probably also a lot of people working accounts, negotiating distribution deals, all that kind of "general business stuff" work necessary to run such a huge platform.

As far as game development goes, I've heard that there's always a ton of prototyping going on at Valve, but (obviously) very few things actually get developed. They almost always have job openings for game developers--right now, they're hiring level designers, for example. This is all hearsay and speculation, of course, but it's possible they have whole teams of people just working on game concepts that will never see the light of day. And I think the reason a lot of them don't is that Valve has nothing to gain by releasing their own games anymore. They also don't have anything to lose, of course--they're not even publicly-traded, so it's not like they're worried about their stock price taking a hit if they release a flop. They could soak some pretty huge losses from a mega-budget game flopping and still keep right on trucking because they're taking about 30% of the revenue from every single game sold through their service, and that is a ridiculous amount of money.

I used to think that maybe Valve didn't want to hurt its reputation as a creator of innovative games. Like, say Half-Life 3 came out and was just, y'know, pretty good. Maybe even a great single-player FPS, but certainly not the revelation that both Half-Life and Half-Life 2 seemed to be. Does that hurt the Half-Life brand? Does that tarnish Valve's reputation as some of the most respected game developers out there?

But Artifact kind of ruins that hypothesis. It seems like a neat game with an interesting twist on some classic CCG concepts, but its business model suggests that either Valve really doesn't care if people think they're being scummy, or they're just supremely confident that, at this point, people will shovel money at them because it's a Valve game. They might not even be wrong about that. I really don't know.

Either way, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Valve for a few days. I'm so curious what goes on over there on a daily basis, or what they see as their future.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Valve is, as revealed by ex employees, basically a hellhole of cliques with Gaben ultimately deciding what gets focus.

Artifact got made because it could appeal to enough of the cliques and Gaben's desire for all the money.

Single player games just don't have traction when you need to get enough of the folks who built the market and storefront on board.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, I read the Megyn Kelly autobiography

why would you go and do this to yourself man

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Valve is, as revealed by ex employees, basically a hellhole of cliques with Gaben ultimately deciding what gets focus.

So it's like high school but you have to work video game dev hours? Ew.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, I read the Megyn Kelly autobiography and she seems to actually believe she was being a journalist on Fox News. In both cases it could be that they're grifters but like to have the respectability of a Serious Book. :shrug:

I don’t think those books exist to be read. They’re just part of the grift package so they can increase visibility via “book tours” and get their names out in press coverage of the book and to give them some “60,000 books sold” credential to boost apparent respectability among the chattering idiot commentariat.

Out of all those books Ann Coulter sold, hardly anyone ever read one. You can tell because every one of them is the same and she pumped them out for a good 15 years before the dog whistle wasn’t loud enough to satisfy any longer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like while Stan Lee did have a problem with sharing proper credit, its worth remembering that one of the people who pushed the "Stan Lee, History's greatest monster" narrative was Steve Ditko, who was a total nutbar objectivist psycho who refused every olive branch Marvel ever offered him and probably would have pulled a Bob Kane without a second thought had his and Stan's positions been switched.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/2016072...eate-new-games/

quote:

“Everyone in the gaming industry is already making video games, so why should we follow this trend that’s inevitably going to crash?” questioned the employee, “Making video games themselves is the least profitable thing you could possibly do. Video games are simply a conduit to more profitable ventures like microtransactions. We wouldn’t make video games if we didn’t have to. We’re just looking for people who want to make something for the sole purpose of selling virtual items. This is why games like Portal 2 failed in our eyes.”

It's hard to believe that just three years ago this was considered a joke. It was also back when the line was "Valve doesn't make games anymore, they just make hats". Now it's "Valve doesn't even make hats anymore, they just squat on the PC market and take a cut of everything that's sold".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

So it's like high school but you have to work video game dev hours? Ew.

More like a university frat house where nobody goes to class and everyone just sits around doing whatever they want while their parents pay for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It turns out soulless executives and corporate suits are actually A Good Thing when the alternative is loving gamers being in charge.