Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

on the one hand youre wasting their time by interviewing after youve already accepted an offer

on the other hand they probably wont remember you in six months anyway (unless your local job market is real small)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tetramin posted:

I’ve accepted an offer and have a start date of 11/19, but I have an interview set for this coming Monday. Would it be a waste of time to go to the interview? Real similar positions but the one I’ve accepted interests me a bit more, and I can’t help but wonder if I could squeeze higher compensation from the second company. Though I’m not sure they’d turn around and give me a real offer inside of one week.

do the interview. not for higher comp, but as a safety net. offers can fall though and you don’t want to have canceled the interview if that happens

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Arcsech posted:

do the interview. not for higher comp, but as a safety net. offers can fall though and you don’t want to have canceled the interview if that happens
yep yep

keep interviewing and applying right up until they hand you your building security badge

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

FMguru posted:

yep yep

keep interviewing and applying right up until they hand you your building security badge

Yeah, I think I kind of knew that in the back of my mind already, I just wanted an excuse to kick back knowing the hell of job searching is over. I’ll keep it up for the next week and a half, hopefully nothing gets derailed with the offer.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

At least the State of Wisconsin might start hiring again?

And the state level brain drain means little competition.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tetramin posted:

Yeah, I think I kind of knew that in the back of my mind already, I just wanted an excuse to kick back knowing the hell of job searching is over. I’ll keep it up for the next week and a half, hopefully nothing gets derailed with the offer.
as a wise man once said, "interviewing and recruiting is garbage," and its entirely understandable to want to be quit of it as quickly as possible, but job offers have been known to evaporate at the 11th hour, so play it safe and keep grinding

it might even be an interesting experience - going to an interview with an acceptable offer already in your pocket is like playing with house money

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tetramin posted:

I’ve accepted an offer and have a start date of 11/19, but I have an interview set for this coming Monday. Would it be a waste of time to go to the interview? Real similar positions but the one I’ve accepted interests me a bit more, and I can’t help but wonder if I could squeeze higher compensation from the second company. Though I’m not sure they’d turn around and give me a real offer inside of one week.

Always be never not-interviewing.

kdrudy posted:

And the state level brain drain means little competition.

:yotj:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

hes just saying all those things to get elected, he doesnt really believe them. if you were smart and savvy like me, youd understand this!

weve had a lot of fun in this thread tracking farmers slowly coming to realize that trump wasnt kidding when he said hed launch a scorched earth tariff war with china to punish them for all the bad deals theyve forced on us

the result:

the silos are full so now soybeans are piling up in the open, hoping to find buyers before they rot

tariffs are loving stupid but also gently caress farmers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tetramin posted:

wanting to renegotiate after you have accepted is a really bad look

changing your mind and declining after you already accepted is a thing that happens all the time

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Progressive JPEG posted:

on the one hand youre wasting their time by interviewing after youve already accepted an offer

on the other hand they probably wont remember you in six months anyway (unless your local job market is real small)

Even then (as long as they don't know you have an offer in-pocket) a company that gets salty about being sloppy seconds isn't one worth working at.

It's a question of information control. For all they know you interviewed with the company you ended up at (the one whose offer you had in-pocket) 20 minutes after your one with them ended, or finished interviewing there 20 minutes before sitting down with them.

Source: my career is a complete shambles. People I've interviewed with years ago routinely spit on me while I'm walking down the street with my kid.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 11, 2018

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

FMguru posted:

hes just saying all those things to get elected, he doesnt really believe them. if you were smart and savvy like me, youd understand this!

weve had a lot of fun in this thread tracking farmers slowly coming to realize that trump wasnt kidding when he said hed launch a scorched earth tariff war with china to punish them for all the bad deals theyve forced on us

the result:

the silos are full so now soybeans are piling up in the open, hoping to find buyers before they rot

I bet its worse for all the Chinese who are hungry for some soy beans right now

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Maximum Leader posted:

I bet its worse for all the Chinese who are hungry for some soy beans right now

我在想那些豆

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

meatpotato posted:

我在想那些豆

Nothing, what's a 我在想那些豆 with you?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wanting to renegotiate after you have accepted is a really bad look

changing your mind and declining after you already accepted is a thing that happens all the time

yeah I’d never push the already accepted offer for more, but maybe leverage the existing offer to get more out of the second company.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Welp, started firing off some applications to companies out in the valley in case the current place doesn't promote me when I hit my two year mark this spring.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i was going through The Questions and i made a few personal additions i plan on asking next go-round, feedback welcome!

- when was the last time you missed a meal with your family or a personal event because you were stuck at work?
Translation: variation on the “do people have good work/life balance at your company” type question.

- what are some of the tools (software, hardware) you have been provided with that help you do your job?
Translation: oblique way of asking “are you provided with the best tools to do your job?”

- do you fix bugs before you write new code? How do you decide what a bug is?
Translation: do you take software quality seriously, or do you just try to push as much crap out the door as possible?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cold on a Cob posted:

i was going through The Questions and i made a few personal additions i plan on asking next go-round, feedback welcome!

- when was the last time you missed a meal with your family or a personal event because you were stuck at work?
Translation: variation on the “do people have good work/life balance at your company” type question.

- what are some of the tools (software, hardware) you have been provided with that help you do your job?
Translation: oblique way of asking “are you provided with the best tools to do your job?”

- do you fix bugs before you write new code? How do you decide what a bug is?
Translation: do you take software quality seriously, or do you just try to push as much crap out the door as possible?

the last two are pretty good idk if i’d phrase the first one like that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

the last two are pretty good idk if i’d phrase the first one like that

yeah i need a more oblique and less aggressive way to ask that

e: aggressive is the wrong word but i think you get my point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
how about "when was the last time you had to work overtime?"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yeah that works better, the prior version is too direct and too specific

some of what you get from exercise is seeing how they interpret the question

i think i mentioned it before but i got pretty good mileage out of "where would you like the project to be in a year?"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cold on a Cob posted:

prompts starting with "tell me about a time when..." tend to be more helpful

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah this is what the ‘how does the team react when it becomes clear they won’t make a deadline?’ is for

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cold on a Cob posted:

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah i need a more oblique and less aggressive way to ask that

e: aggressive is the wrong word but i think you get my point
"meal with your family" is presumptive/normative and invites answers that don't have any bearing on you e.g. "we haven't eaten together since my wife deployed"

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah this is what the ‘how does the team react when it becomes clear they won’t make a deadline?’ is for
this gets at the same issue without those drawbacks, but you might need to direct the answer or make more pointed questions as it comes

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
re: salary negotiation

my idiot hell fucker external recruiter has apparently been relaying every single internal thought I've mentioned about the two places i'm receiving offers from to those places themselves. it's wonderful to hear the place you're trying to sell yourself to say to you "so we heard you thought our tech stack was a little old". one place was waiting on the other to make an offer and he relayed that information to the other, causing them to delay + weaken *their* offer. what a loving genius (i am for talking to an external recruiter)!

never use an external recruiter!!!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the never use an external recruiter thing is dumb tbh. good recruiters just aren’t hitting you up out of the blue on linked in. those who do are trash. good external recruiters operate by referrals and having a stable-ish set of companies they place for. it’s super nice letting a competent professional negotiator get your figgies (and you don’t have to be guarded about current salary, what you want, etc)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ploft-shell crab posted:

my idiot hell fucker external recruiter has apparently been relaying every single internal thought I've mentioned about the two places i'm receiving offers from to those places themselves. it's wonderful to hear the place you're trying to sell yourself to say to you "so we heard you thought our tech stack was a little old". one place was waiting on the other to make an offer and he relayed that information to the other, causing them to delay + weaken *their* offer. what a loving genius (i am for talking to an external recruiter)!

Visual Basic + excel place?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ploft-shell crab posted:

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ploft-shell crab posted:

you should internally think to him that he’s garbage

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Visual Basic + excel place?

no, just a ton of NIH

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ploft-shell crab posted:

lmfao can his rear end immediately if you don't take either of these jobs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ploft-shell crab posted:

re: the old tech stack

the only thing you can do here is keep negging their stack and hope it pays off

edit: in case you're wondering i'm a gay idiot without a job so maybe it doesn't work

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
getting written off in an interview because I couldn’t remember what SOLID was despite this being a javascript heavy role and they learned coding in the 90’s when OO was hot stuff and never bothered to examine that some of this AbstractFactoryFactory poo poo is isn’t workable :argh:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

re: the old tech stack

the only thing you can do here is keep negging their stack and hope it pays off

edit: in case you're wondering i'm a gay idiot without a job so maybe it doesn't work

I’ll neg stacks all day once I have an offer in hand, but he told them this before they even made one!!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Out of curiosity I took a look at open positions at Twitch. Are Amazon subsidiaries pretty independent or are they all just Amazon with a different logo on the building?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
an interviewer just asked me last night if python was pass by reference or by value and u couldn't exactly remember so i just stammered about how it varies and is weird so i make sure i don't reuse or modify the stuff in the arguments to avoid it all together and it turns out that it was a trick question and i was almost exactly right woot

i guess technically it is always by reference (but sometimes immutable references) but i was a lot closer than i felt like i was

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

is it a dumb idea to try to push my start date back a week after i've already accepted the offer? worried it might come off as a bad look but dang it'd be really nice to have a little extra breathing room.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kind Friend posted:

is it a dumb idea to try to push my start date back a week after i've already accepted the offer? worried it might come off as a bad look but dang it'd be really nice to have a little extra breathing room.

unless your start date is like today or tomorrow it’s a pretty reasonable request. tell them asap so they have time to reschedule any first day stuff.

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

that's what i figured. thanks for the confidence boost.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Corla Plankun posted:

an interviewer just asked me last night if python was pass by reference or by value and u couldn't exactly remember so i just stammered about how it varies and is weird so i make sure i don't reuse or modify the stuff in the arguments to avoid it all together and it turns out that it was a trick question and i was almost exactly right woot

i guess technically it is always by reference (but sometimes immutable references) but i was a lot closer than i felt like i was

Lol this diamond always seems to resurface. Did they ask you if python can run with multiple threads too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Kind Friend posted:

i asked for a month before starting (and got it), despite the recruiter knowing i haven’t been working for the last 8 months

taking as much time off as possible between jobs is very important, and if you already have the job there’s really no harm in asking