Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

But it's specifically setting up one thing to look like the bad guys, then saying "Wait, no, here are the real villains". And those real villains are all pretty similar aren't they? You can't say there's no repetition in this at all and I think you're being unfairly dismissive. I just want a full on monster story in one episode, you know?

Was the story centered around the alien who came to Earth all RARR I'M EVIL, CHECK OUT MY EVIL TOOTH FETISH, LOOK AT ALL THE EVIL I'M DOING AND P.S. HERE IS MY EVIL PLAN WHICH YOU WILL NEVER EVER STOP in the first episode not a full-on monster story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I dunno there just hasn’t been a good spooky story yet. It feels like they’re taking a lighter touch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the spider thing was supposed to be spooky.

Also, this episode seems like the Doctor and crew being there had no effect. If they didn't show up, this episode would have ended the same way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

While I do have issues with some of the editing, I really can't wait to see a proper capital S Spooky story with the better lighting and interesting framing that has been present throughout much of this season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think the problem was once they established the corrupt businessman angle, the spiders seemed pretty thoroughly robbed of menace. Like there’s ways to do monsters with an ecology message but they instantly went to “they’re totally innocent” and that was some heavy whiplash.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

navyjack posted:

Graham remains my favorite companion, maybe ever. He just rules.

In a perfect world, we'd have him and Wilf stuck on the Tardis at the same time trying to get home. :p

Cojawfee posted:

Also, this episode seems like the Doctor and crew being there had no effect. If they didn't show up, this episode would have ended the same way.

It's a pity that the third act of that episode fell apart hard, as it doesn't make an iota of sense, which really undermines the first two acts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cojawfee posted:

Or had it already ended that way?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That was the best episode so far this series, but that was a low bar to jump. Also, seconding the odd timing of having 'compassionate aliens who monitor people about to die' twice in a 12-month period.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cojawfee posted:

I think that was sort of the point, as well as an illustration of why you shouldn't mess with your personal history - you will find out horrible things that you cannot un-know and will be powerless to prevent them due to potentially damning yourself to nonexistence.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
It's a good job that on the odd occasions all four TARDIS crew members have turned up at Yaz's house, Yaz's nan hasn't been there.

I can perhaps understand Nani Umbreen not "recognizing" Yaz from her past for various reasons, but seeing all four of them standing there in her daughter's living room is probably going to jog her memory a little bit. Unless they kill her off some time soon, I get the feeling a reunion could be on the cards, unless the writers just chicken out and avoid the issue. Connecting with one's family is very much the central theme to this season, so I don't think we're done with Nani Umbreen just yet, just as I don't think we've seen the last of Grace either. It probably hasn't escaped Graham's notice that he now has access to a time machine and may be wondering if it's possible to undo Grace's death, especially now that Yaz has been "allowed" to visit her past.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Look let's just assume she's got face blindness

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The real question is, did Yaz get the groceries she was sent out for at the end of AITUK.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was 71 years ago. No matter how pivotal an event it was, I'm pretty sure she's not gonna remember the exact faces of the three strangers she spent less than a day with 7 decades earlier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been thinking about it, and funnily enough I feel like this is one of the few times in Doctor Who I can think of where it might be a stable time loop. The Doctor's the only person willing to wed them, and their (misinterpreted) information about the aliens is what spurs them into doing the wedding that day. Even if they did decide to wed without a 'respectable' ceremony, I imagine it would've happened at a different time, and since what set them off on all this was a broken watch, subtle changes would've had noticeable effects. Since nothing did change, including anything about the watch, then we have a rare time when Who time travel works in a 'you were always supposed to go back in time' way.

Also, Yaz's nan doesn't even recognize her own mother's henna tattoos from her wedding day, that she specifically called out as being a bit crap both on the day and 71 years later. So, yeah, her memory of that day seems to have faded down to the one big thing that happened.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 13, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jerusalem posted:

It was 71 years ago. No matter how pivotal an event it was, I'm pretty sure she's not gonna remember the exact faces of the three strangers she spent less than a day with 7 decades earlier.

I dunno, I think that day would be fairly well burned into her memory, what with her husband being murdered on her wedding day.

Certainly to the point when another trio of strangers turn up in her flat; also a ditzy blonde, an old white dude and mute black kid she should probably start to feel a bit nervous that poo poo's Going Down.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Am I the only person who thinks that Yaz's nan knew perfectly well that Yaz was (somehow) the woman who'd crashed her wedding and was just keeping coy about it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

docbeard posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that Yaz's nan knew perfectly well that Yaz was (somehow) the woman who'd crashed her wedding and was just keeping coy about it?

I think if they’d intended that, there’d have been more of a subtle wink on it, or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

This happens in a lot of historicals, and stories in general, and I think it was done well here.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I liked this episode for showing a historical event I had no idea about before - the actual plot went nowhere though. Thirteen coming of as weak and innefective is kind of becoming a running theme - could use more badass moments like the welding herself a new sonic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

spog posted:

I dunno, I think that day would be fairly well burned into her memory, what with her husband being murdered on her wedding day.

Certainly to the point when another trio of strangers turn up in her flat; also a ditzy blonde, an old white dude and mute black kid she should probably start to feel a bit nervous that poo poo's Going Down.

Well from memory we only see Yaz and her nan together in the present, not the entire crew. Even so, I think you're overestimating just how much somebody's memory retains acute details like that about over the decades. If a blonde woman, an old white dude and a black kid showed up at her flat I'm pretty sure her reaction would be,"Why are a blonde woman, an old white dude and a black kid in my flat?" as opposed to,"These are distinctly the exact same people - unaged! - that I met 71 years ago on a day where the vast majority of my memories are dedicated to Prem (and unfortunately Manish)."

Hell, if I think back to the most traumatic memory of my life (happily nowhere near as horrible as what happened to Yaz's nan) which was "only" a good 20+ years ago, if the people who were present that day were to show up at my door right now I'd have no memory of them at all. Even (especially) if they were unaged and wearing exactly the same clothes.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

docbeard posted:

"I'll tell you when you're older", but I'll be younger when I do. That's how I interpreted it as well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

spog posted:

This theory, that so-called "flashbulb memories" (the Important Moments) burn irrevocably into our memories, is, unfortunately, demonstrably false. They've checked with things like JFK's assassination and 9/11, and people are just as subject to mis-remembering or forgetting little details as they are with just about anything else.

More personally, I know that my wedding had an unfortunate surprise visit from some members of my wife's family I didn't know too well, who decided to use the moment we'd designated specifically for privacy to push past our event planners and say some choice words to my wife about how her estrangement from her father was affecting them. I sure as hell remember that they did it, that what they said was petty and mean, and that they left right afterward (before we had even gotten to the dancing). I can't tell you what they said, though, and I guess I could maybe pick them out of a line-up if I had to, but it'd take me awhile to recognize either of them on the street. I just haven't seen enough of them to know their faces. Seventy years from now? No way I'll know them from Adam, if I'm even still alive.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mrking posted:

"I'll tell you when you're older", but I'll be younger when I do. That's how I interpreted it as well.

Same, and I caught a hint of disappointment from her nan when Yaz said she could tell her later. I think she realized it when she gave Yaz the watch and it's why she gave it to her, and has been waiting these past few years for Yaz to live through it so they can finally talk about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

I think if they’d intended that, there’d have been more of a subtle wink on it, or something.

Maybe she could have told Yaz that she was her favourite granddaughter and given her a keepsake that had a direct connection to that meaningful event seven decades earlier :tinfoil:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm looking forward the eventual Big Finish stories featuring Umbreen during her time at UNIT in the 80s.

(I just made that up off the top of my head AND NOW I REALLY NEED IT TO HAPPEN)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There were also the other lot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

I'm looking forward the eventual Big Finish stories featuring Umbreen during her time at UNIT in the 80s.

(I just made that up off the top of my head AND NOW I REALLY NEED IT TO HAPPEN)

Oh man, as long as they get the right writer for it, I am completely onboard.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Untrue in two ways. Firstly, without the Doctor, there's no holy person to preside over the wedding ceremony. Secondly, as the symbol of the broken watch made painfully clear, from the perspective of "now" the presence of the Doctor and her companions was a comfort to people in a time of need and trauma. And, like the aliens, they were present to witness and remember. They were, it turns out, always a part of events.

(Note that stressing there was room for the holy man on the cart emphasizes that he would not have taken the proffered ride even in the absence of Team TARDIS, meaning he would still have been murdered.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1062293809017565184

Graham looks good in red

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the visuals here. The uselessly gaudy Tron-light clipboard thing (I mean, even if it's a digital pad of some kind, come on!) is just the kind of flash I'd expect from some kind of tech start-up. Looks like it might be a near-future kind of thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I like the visuals here. The uselessly gaudy Tron-light clipboard thing (I mean, even if it's a digital pad of some kind, come on!) is just the kind of flash I'd expect from some kind of tech start-up. Looks like it might be a near-future kind of thing?

I’m guessing it’s now, in the same way Bells of St John was now.

And red is a great look. :colbert:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
now I'm wishing Lee Mack was a companion too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While we're on the subject of cameos, I really wish they' hire Dylan Moran to play some kind of mad scientist, just so that we can have had all three of the Black Books crew.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that twelve didn't think a black man could be a math teacher and just... wow, yeah, that's pretty gross.

His negging on Clara's looks the whole season bothered me in the moment, but this one whizzed right by and I didn't notice how :stare: it is.

I liked him a lot better in his second and third series.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

LividLiquid posted:

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that twelve didn't think a black man could be a math teacher and just... wow, yeah, that's pretty gross.

His negging on Clara's looks the whole season bothered me in the moment, but this one whizzed right by and I didn't notice how :stare: it is.

The writer of that episode, Gareth Roberts, is a lovely person with horrifying opinions. He will probably never write for the show again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LividLiquid posted:

It's a bad look and a valid reading but for this I choose to believe that he was ragging on Danny as the gym teacher because Danny is a big muscle guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, it really doesn't matter if it was on purpose. Somebody in the production should've caught it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Julie Hesmondhalgh? gently caress yes!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The show keeps teasing us with off screen adventures that sound generally better than the on screen ones.

Give me my laser death turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Has there been any word about series 12? Because, uh, it took 10 months to film series 11.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 14, 2018