Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

at least there are now RFC-formatted documents floating around and not a vague google doc describing a fraction of the protocol like earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

4 hours to pgdump 300gb lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

redleader posted:

did that, uh, help? at all?

We needed it in order to make users' avatars show up reasonably quickly, without extra database hits. The thing is, the rest of the avatar settings (shirt type, color, hair style, color) were stored in a different cache, separate from the users' genders. This led to an interesting bug where a user clicked stuff too fast and got a bearded lady avatar, because some code path wasn't properly invalidating the cache. It was necessary at the time, to keep the underpowered database server from melting, but no, it did not "help," seeing as we kept getting the cache invalidation and refresh logic wrong. Eventually, we switched to user-uploaded images as avatars and stopped reading from the caches, which hung around for probably over a year before we finally pruned the dead code.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Was this cache primarily used to fulfill search requests for Females to harass

Thankfully, nobody tried to add Gender to the search index. A bunch of other Member Profile fields made it in there, I think, and had to be reindexed frequently enough that we had to put it in a separate index so the rest of the site's index could ever keep anything in its caches.

And then the users still complained that "search sucks."

cinci zoo sniper posted:

tfw u nat but it still sucks

lol

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

CPColin posted:

And then the users still complained that "search sucks."

nobody is ever happy with search

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Zaxxon posted:

"why is this unstructured data not providing me with automatic insights and organization?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zaxxon posted:

One user's complaint was specifically that their content was not returned first when searching for "PHP".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think we can all agree that the worst search is the Windows 10 search.

Why in the gently caress does Windows 10 bring up results in all languages? WHAT THE gently caress?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Sagacity posted:

"why is this unstructured data not providing me with automatic insights and organization?"

also can you sort by best match?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

CPColin posted:

One user's complaint was specifically that their content was not returned first when searching for "PHP".

once again, could you please sort by best match?

(this is my favorite search feature request that I have gotten multiple times)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zaxxon posted:

once again, could you please sort by best match?

(this is my favorite search feature request that I have gotten multiple times)

"All these results just say 'PHP' in them! How is that more relevant than the content I wrote, which also says 'PHP' in it???"

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the empty freetext search box is the original sin of computer user interface design. such a simple and seemingly innocent thing, and yet it is a constant reminder of the monumental hubris of techbros. the foundation of human knowledge is not the nerd virtue of being able to remember endless bits of pointless trivia, but rather systematic classification. organizing and cataloging information is a skill as old as writing itself, and here we are supposed to ignore all advances in the field since the dawn of time and instead blindly hope we remember the incantation necessary to coax some idiot scoring algorithm into coughing up a somewhat related result. it is fundamentally anti-intellectual. death to freetext search, all hail archival science.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
google was a mistake

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheFluff posted:

the empty freetext search box is the original sin of computer user interface design. such a simple and seemingly innocent thing, and yet it is a constant reminder of the monumental hubris of techbros. the foundation of human knowledge is not the nerd virtue of being able to remember endless bits of pointless trivia, but rather systematic classification. organizing and cataloging information is a skill as old as writing itself, and here we are supposed to ignore all advances in the field since the dawn of time and instead blindly hope we remember the incantation necessary to coax some idiot scoring algorithm into coughing up a somewhat related result. it is fundamentally anti-intellectual. death to freetext search, all hail archival science.

ok vannevar

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Captain Foo posted:

ok vannevar
Bush Was Right

seriously though if anyone hasn't read As We May Think yet you should, it is good

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the search box is bad because it hampers association when a good search tool should encourage and exploit it

is what vannevar bush would have said, and he would have been right

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TheFluff posted:

as opposed to remembering the special incantation needed to remember where something is classified

ontology alignment is hell

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheFluff posted:

Bush Was Right

seriously though if anyone hasn't read As We May Think yet you should, it is good

tbh vannevar bush had very good ideas, i just wanted to post that at u

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ComradeCosmobot posted:

as opposed to remembering the special incantation needed to remember where something is classified

yospos is not the place to post nuanced takes but if i were in a charitable mood i guess i might concede that the problem is really more like having a freetext search as the only significant tool you can approach your index with

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
sounds like a problem we can solve with machine learning

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

redleader posted:

sounds like a problem we can solve with machine learning

This happened at Experts Exchange, too, to drive the "other content related to this content" stuff. Imagine trying to train an algorithm when nobody could agree on what made two bits of content count as being related to each other.

Now imagine that applying the algorithm burned through all our CPU credits!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

TheFluff posted:

yospos is not the place to post nuanced takes but if i were in a charitable mood i guess i might concede that the problem is really more like having a freetext search as the only significant tool you can approach your index with

stuff like slack now has free text field and the ability to set a bunch of parameters. it's not like i understand the core problem here well but that seems like a nice middle ground

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gonadic io posted:

stuff like slack now has free text field and the ability to set a bunch of parameters. it's not like i understand the core problem here well but that seems like a nice middle ground

well, not really. if a search box lets you search for e.g. records in a given date range then that's very good but it's not the kind of free text box i'm harping about. free text search is a very blunt tool, or perhaps more aptly put, a way too sharp tool. it sorta works if you know exactly what you're looking for and can come up with sufficiently distinct keywords. it's almost useless for exploring a topic, finding related records, or cross referencing in general. again, it doesn't encourage association. one of the most heinous examples i can think of is spotify. their free text search is almost completely useless, of course, but what really pisses me off is that they have shittons of metadata that they do their best to stop you from exploring, because they want to show you their own "top recommendations" or whatever the gently caress the big record companies want you to listen to.

perhaps it is more symptom than disease, though. it's a very common programmer thing to not really think about record classification or metadata and just shovel user input into unstructured text fields - if you're lucky you get both creation and update timestamps (but almost never previous versions), and then a free text search is really the only way to approach your dataset (you can't even speak of an index). a humble tagging system is a very powerful search tool, but only if the metadata is carefully curated and maintained - ask any librarian. really, computer nerds ought to talk more to librarians and archivists.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

TheFluff posted:

well, not really. if a search box lets you search for e.g. records in a given date range then that's very good but it's not the kind of free text box i'm harping about. free text search is a very blunt tool, or perhaps more aptly put, a way too sharp tool. it sorta works if you know exactly what you're looking for and can come up with sufficiently distinct keywords. it's almost useless for exploring a topic, finding related records, or cross referencing in general. again, it doesn't encourage association. one of the most heinous examples i can think of is spotify. their free text search is almost completely useless, of course, but what really pisses me off is that they have shittons of metadata that they do their best to stop you from exploring, because they want to show you their own "top recommendations" or whatever the gently caress the big record companies want you to listen to.

perhaps it is more symptom than disease, though. it's a very common programmer thing to not really think about record classification or metadata and just shovel user input into unstructured text fields - if you're lucky you get both creation and update timestamps (but almost never previous versions), and then a free text search is really the only way to approach your dataset (you can't even speak of an index). a humble tagging system is a very powerful search tool, but only if the metadata is carefully curated and maintained - ask any librarian. really, computer nerds ought to talk more to librarians and archivists.

oh yeah i see what you mean. the slack search i mentioned only even shows you stuff if you can specify it exactly, i.e. " just shovel user input into unstructured text fields" (except some of them are numeric but whatever)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
ultimately, the only correct search results are the ones the user actually wants to see. but it's impossible for a user to directly beam their actual intentions into a system, and even if it was, it's impossible for the system to understand whatever vague unbounded poo poo is going through the user's head

sometimes i want to search for a specific citation from a specific source on a specific date. sometimes I want to search for "I vaguely remember hearing about an article on this subject five years ago, I'm going to mash somewhat-related half-remembered search terms in until I see something that looks familiar"

the ideal search system depends on what kind of information you store, what kind of user you expect to be using the system, and so on. it's a UX decision first and foremost, not really a code decision...if you live in a magical utopia where everyone does what makes sense and managers always stop to think things through

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Main Paineframe posted:

the ideal search system depends on what kind of information you store, what kind of user you expect to be using the system, and so on. it's a UX decision first and foremost, not really a code decision...if you live in a magical utopia where everyone does what makes sense and managers always stop to think things through

Designers often see search as a way around having to think about the user experience at all, and they then condition users to expect search to be magic. I've literally seen dudes in talks with customers saying poo poo like "oh well just make the search better, then you don't have to do any tagging"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That also happened at EE. Somebody got a boner for tags, but didn't really tie any functionality other than search to them. Content was already categorized by "topic," which is what determined which "top experts" leaderboard you got on when you answered questions. There was no explanation of how tags and topics were different, no reason given why users could create arbitrary tags, but not arbitrary topics, etc. Everybody started complaining about stuff being mis-tagged and people finally realized that when you've got somebody with a tech problem stumbling onto Experts Exchange to ask how to use Google, you were practically guaranteed to have some lovely tags added!

So they got rid of tags and finally allowed users to create their own topics. (Well, sort of. The moderator staff has to do it. At least the whole system somebody proposed of having new topics be "provisional" until enough content came along to promote them to "real" topics got scrapped after about forty hours of meetings about it.)

Moral: user-generated content is terrible

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Main Paineframe posted:

ultimately, the only correct search results are the ones the user actually wants to see. but it's impossible for a user to directly beam their actual intentions into a system, and even if it was, it's impossible for the system to understand whatever vague unbounded poo poo is going through the user's head

in other words...

ComradeCosmobot posted:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CPColin posted:

Moral: users are terrible

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

CPColin posted:

present company excepted ofc

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

pokeyman posted:

present company excepted ofc

speak for yourself

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

TheFluff posted:

drat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

redleader posted:

google was a mistake

our intranet uses some "google search appliance" bought at vast expense years ago and it is completely loving useless. like completely random ordering of results, irrelevant suggestions etc etc. I mean our intranet is trash anyway but still, lol

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

the search box is bad because it hampers association when a good search tool should encourage and exploit it

is what vannevar bush would have said, and he would have been right

I mean often the path is just google -> wikipedia which is kind of what you want? But it sucks if whatever you're interested in isn't nerdy enough to have a good wiki concept cloud.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
godsdamn no wonder snack overflow ate experts exchange’s lunch

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

our intranet uses some "google search appliance" bought at vast expense years ago and it is completely loving useless. like completely random ordering of results, irrelevant suggestions etc etc. I mean our intranet is trash anyway but still, lol

this thing is deprecated, because google doesn’t like maintaining things

and also because it loving blows, apparently, I haven’t yet heard about anyone who actually likes the thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

godsdamn no wonder snack overflow ate experts exchange’s lunch

well, that and snack overflow didn't put a blur filter over the "answers"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

akadajet posted:

well, that and snack overflow didn't put a blur filter over the "answers"

And didn't ignore its developers when they warned Marketing that doing aggressive SEO to get at the top of every Google results page was actually harming our reputation because everybody was getting so mad at slamming into the paywall and us "gaming the system" to appear so high.

Then Google released the "Panda" update and started factoring in how fast your site was, how correct the HTML was, how much people hated your guts, etc., and that was the end of EE's reign at the top of the search results.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Arcsech posted:

this thing is deprecated, because google doesn’t like maintaining things

and also because it loving blows, apparently, I haven’t yet heard about anyone who actually likes the thing

i was talking to a former colleague the other week who said "yeah we were working on a deployment on aws for months then management [of a multinational multi billion dollar org] announced that in future they would only consider using google cloud so we lost the contract ", i just said 'lmao good luck to them with that when Google abandons all support after 18 months"

idk why you'd use anything google "provides" for enterprise poo poo

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

CPColin posted:

That also happened at EE. Somebody got a boner for tags, but didn't really tie any functionality other than search to them. Content was already categorized by "topic," which is what determined which "top experts" leaderboard you got on when you answered questions. There was no explanation of how tags and topics were different, no reason given why users could create arbitrary tags, but not arbitrary topics, etc. Everybody started complaining about stuff being mis-tagged and people finally realized that when you've got somebody with a tech problem stumbling onto Experts Exchange to ask how to use Google, you were practically guaranteed to have some lovely tags added!

So they got rid of tags and finally allowed users to create their own topics. (Well, sort of. The moderator staff has to do it. At least the whole system somebody proposed of having new topics be "provisional" until enough content came along to promote them to "real" topics got scrapped after about forty hours of meetings about it.)

Oh god we were gonna do that promoting provisional topics thing, but we just told the sales team just tell us to add some every once in a while. They pretty much never do, and I pushed back hard for a while to try and keep the total number of topics at 420.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

sharepoint is a perfect case study in why search boxes are poo poo