Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Man, I just got an email taunting me that Hitman 2 is available now, but apparently it doesn't unlock on Steam until 6pm GMT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Discendo Vox posted:

That thread's thisaway, I was responsible for the horrifically detailed effortposts on the why and how of Absolution. I'll use that dubious expertise to answer some questions about it here.

Man, I really need to get around to organizing all of the Absolution stuff into its own post so its easier to find. Your expertise was very appreciated and will not be lost to the aether!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Man, I just got an email taunting me that Hitman 2 is available now, but apparently it doesn't unlock on Steam until 6pm GMT?

Its ok you can just read the spoilers for every mission since they thought itd be a really good idea to release the game up to 5 days early on the Irresponsible with Money Edition

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Played a bit of this last night when it unlocked for us regular, non-gold edition scrubs (at least on PSN). It's funny, I'm absolutely terrible at SASO (I think I did it on Paris using a partial guide and that's about it) but in the very first level of this one they almost make it too easy by starting you right in the middle of it and making the only available disguise barely useful. It was such a weird shift in style it was closer to how I played MGSV than the last game but it was still neat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The best part of Absolution was running into Kane in a bar, and I think he's a key character in starting a bar riot. Still miffed we never got a special "Kill Kane+Lynch" mission when they had the chance.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

The best part of Absolution was running into Kane in a bar, and I think he's a key character in starting a bar riot. Still miffed we never got a special "Kill Kane+Lynch" mission when they had the chance.

They could have loose versions of them for an Elusive Target mission. Change the names a bit but make it blatantly clear in the intel who they are.

Really excited for the escalations and Elusive Targets to start rolling out now if they have the cadence that they did with 2016 Hitman. I didn't get properly into that game until mid 2017 (it didn't run very well initially and crashed alot) and never really played the Escalations at all but I'm now deep in the Hitman mood so I'll play through them as they get added now.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

That thread's thisaway, I was responsible for the horrifically detailed effortposts on the why and how of Absolution. I'll use that dubious expertise to answer some questions about it here.

This is a fascinating read.

I still think the Blood Money system of "earn money for quality kills buy better equipment" was the best progression system. I mean...we sort of have it now in that you're earning XP and getting better equipment but I miss being able to pick and choose. The current system is way too linear for my tastes.

King Vidiot posted:

I get the overall picture that a large section of IOI resented being stuck in a rut remaking and refining the same game over and over again with Hitman. Kane & Lynch was their "way out", and it was an action-oriented cover shooter inspired by Michael Mann movies. But it basically flopped after two installments, so their hand was sort of forced to return to Hitman. I imagine Absolution was the way it was because they didn't want to go back to making nothing but Blood Money over and over, so they essentially made another Kane & Lynch game but with Hitman's gameplay elements tacked on. Square stoked the fire by handing them a ton of money to let them go hog wild.

And now they'll be making Hitman [Year XXXX] till the end of time. :haw:

...actually, I'd be totally cool with that (IOI might not, though!). Put out 5 new levels with an engine update and tweaks, backport all the previous years games/sell as DLC to new folks, add 2 more levels with a season pass. Repeat yearly/bi-yearly until the world is sick of Hitman.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I preloaded all the levels last night but the game isn't recognising them. Marvellous.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In Colombia can you push the statue so it kills both people or just one of them? I’ve tried timing it when Rico walks by but got nothing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

StabMasterArson posted:

Irresponsible with Money Edition

You mean 'Pay extra to beta test' edition? Oh who am I kidding, I broke my own "don't buy new games on launch day" rule.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It looks like the Prologue is free to play for PSN and Xbox, dunno about PC. I'm kinda curious if you can use the Legacy Pack stuff with only the prologue.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ChaosArgate posted:

It looks like the Prologue is free to play for PSN and Xbox, dunno about PC. I'm kinda curious if you can use the Legacy Pack stuff with only the prologue.

I reset my console and it still says "prologue" next to it and I can play a couple of the levels. Uninstalling the dodgy ones now.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 13, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RIP pedro the cockroach

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It looks like if you knock out the bartender who goes back and forth from the bar and lounge, the drummer will never return to the bar.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

StabMasterArson posted:

Irresponsible with Money Edition

For me it was "Support the Independent Publisher Oh and Also I got the Previous Game for 20 bucks On Sale And Felt I Ripped Them Off And Owed Them One" edition

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

For me it was "Support the Independent Publisher Oh and Also I got the Previous Game for 20 bucks On Sale And Felt I Ripped Them Off And Owed Them One" edition

Lmao you feel you owe a software company money

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I can see someone else has this problem. Whittleton Creek won't install. It "downloads" instantly and says the file is there but it's clearly not. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Fixed Miami but not the Creek.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

StabMasterArson posted:

Lmao you feel you owe a software company money

Context matters, I got an incredible deal on their excellent last game PLUS they're in an extremely precarious position PLUS I'm a huge Hitman stan

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

In Colombia can you push the statue so it kills both people or just one of them? I’ve tried timing it when Rico walks by but got nothing.

Pennfalath posted:

When they are both on stage, wait until he gets angry because there is no drummer. The moment she turns to walk to the other part of the stage, drop the statue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nexus6 posted:

You mean 'Pay extra to beta test' edition? Oh who am I kidding, I broke my own "don't buy new games on launch day" rule.

This is one of the first games where I didn't regret pre-ordering. When there was that deal for the gold edition for 70 bucks, I was worried I'd regret it when the sniper challenge game ran like crap. As soon as I loaded up 2, my fears dissipated.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Context matters, I got an incredible deal on their excellent last game PLUS they're in an extremely precarious position PLUS I'm a huge Hitman stan

Yeah at this quality I'd happily pay full price every two years for a new set of maps and some engine upgrades. Really hope this game's a success and we get more.

edit: plus as far as I understand they're basically an independent publisher at this point, with WB just having stepped in after the development of the game to assist with distribution

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Welp, Steam is finally letting me download the thing. Glad it let me preload that 4gb or so before, only 25gb to go. Which I assume doesn't include the legacy pack levels.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, lmao, that preload wasn't a preload so much as a "let's get some of the download done" - Hitman 2 is out and I'm waiting for it to download another 25 GB.

I'm just amused at this point, like, I'll get to play it today but man. Gotta be patient.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cojawfee posted:

This is one of the first games where I didn't regret pre-ordering. When there was that deal for the gold edition for 70 bucks, I was worried I'd regret it when the sniper challenge game ran like crap. As soon as I loaded up 2, my fears dissipated.

If I had the cash to spare I would have gladly dropped the 70 quid for the gold edition too. Love the Hitman games beyond compare.

Even though it doesn't loving work! :argh:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

great! :)

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Holy poo poo, the changing controls menu is the worst loving piece of poo poo ever. Try changing from WASD to ESDF and have an infinite regression of NO THAT KEY IS USED BY THAT KEY WHICH IS USED BY THAT KEY WHICH IS...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Welp, Steam is finally letting me download the thing. Glad it let me preload that 4gb or so before, only 25gb to go. Which I assume doesn't include the legacy pack levels.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, lmao, that preload wasn't a preload so much as a "let's get some of the download done" - Hitman 2 is out and I'm waiting for it to download another 25 GB.

I'm just amused at this point, like, I'll get to play it today but man. Gotta be patient.

at least on consoles, the maps still download individually like they did in Hitman 2016 -- so it's only like a 5 or 6 gig download to start playing Miami

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, warning: it's not downloading 25 GB, it's been preallocating space and there goes something like 70 GB, if not more. I'm glad I uninstalled Hitman 2016 first, or I'd have to go clear more space for it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually remember how bad the save/load times were in 2016, but they seem to be a lot faster in 2 just from what I played this weekend. Still a hefty initial load though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The full game with all the legacy content on Steam is a tiny bit over 100gb.

So you all don't get scared, the legacy maps probably won't start downloading until after you've launched the game and played some.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, warning: it's not downloading 25 GB, it's been preallocating space and there goes something like 70 GB, if not more. I'm glad I uninstalled Hitman 2016 first, or I'd have to go clear more space for it.

Did ... did you activate the Legacy Pack before you uninstalled? On Ps4, you had to activate it from within Season 1.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pennfalath posted:

Did ... did you activate the Legacy Pack before you uninstalled? On Ps4, you had to activate it from within Season 1.

They didn't have to do that on Steam, it can auto-detect.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll be interested to see if the menus load faster now that the game is really out. Playing over the weekend there was a ton of menu lag as it struggled to pull my unlocks from the server. Hopefully they turned on the big boy servers now

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MMF Freeway posted:

I'll be interested to see if the menus load faster now that the game is really out. Playing over the weekend there was a ton of menu lag as it struggled to pull my unlocks from the server. Hopefully they turned on the big boy servers now

Playing on PS4 I definitely noticed shorter load times than S1, though admittedly I've only played the Nightfall intro and the ICA tutorial missions so it might still choke on the big ones.

Also, the crappy little patches of fake grass in the Cuba mission made me laugh. They're just so awkwardly slapped in there for no reason. Hopefully it's a little less jarring on the other legacy missions.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, the crappy little patches of fake grass in the Cuba mission made me laugh. They're just so awkwardly slapped in there for no reason. Hopefully it's a little less jarring on the other legacy missions.

It is. Sapienza has some and it's very natural.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

They didn't have to do that on Steam, it can auto-detect.

Glad to hear it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Instead of hitting men I an petting dog while waiting for it to install. Life is pretty good!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It looks like if you knock out the bartender who goes back and forth from the bar and lounge, the drummer will never return to the bar.

I didn't knock out the bartender (I called room service, knocking those two out, then lured Morgan to the room where he died and his bodyguard got knocked out), but when I went to the bar for the drummer, he wasn't there as he just standing in the hallway not moving. Since nobody was in the area I just knocked him out and left him there. By the time someone finally found him, the son was already dead. Mission was bugged since after Morgan died, it went into permanent searching mode, even when I changed disguise a few times.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
loving hell Miami is huge! Great playing the old levels with the updates too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honorable Samurai Agent 47 assassinates a woman brushing her teeth with a katana.