Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

TK-42-1 posted:

wouldn’t it be easier to just turn the drat things into a font and not gently caress with unicode?

Dude has a hole in his roof and his number one priority is getting a computer program to work.

Do not question Sniper’s wisdom or he shall unleash the seven’s herbs wrath upon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

Dude has a hole in his roof and his number one priority is getting a computer program to work.

Do not question Sniper’s wisdom or he shall unleash the seven’s herbs wrath upon you.

But even then don't worry becaude it takes like fifteen years for the ritual to kick in. :v:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Mr. Nemo posted:

Do not speak of the seven herbs' wrath. They can hear you, and don't like it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SniperWoreConverse posted:

according to wiki the cuneiform range is 12000 - 1254F, with no gaps.

This is wrong tho, because there are gaps. If I account for those, something is wrong with my code because if I just focus on, say the numbers, and I totally chop it down to just show all the numbers only, I still end up with missing characters. What characters get printed and what ones don't seem to just randomly change. It happens reliably if I run the same code at different window sizes. It also gives different results if I print each character on a new line vs all the characters on one line.

It can display the characters correctly, but doesn't for some reason. I can go back and have it also print the missing chars and the first time they come up as blocks, the second time they come up as the actual character. Maybe I need to somehow divorce the code that decides what character to print and the code that actually prints it.

That first character is the same as the last. I had it print the whole set up to the 3 diagonals, and then I had it print that specific missing one right after.

This is the order they're in on the wiki:

Behind the scenes that line basically is just "print one quarter, print word divider, print vertical colon, print diagonal colon, print diagonal tricolon, print one quarter" so what the gently caress?

E: I think it has something to do with the conversion from hex
E2: the wiki is wacked out and appears to have major goddamn errors, or at least missing info, or it kinda just glosses over these charts and expects you to catch missing groups or that other blocks are like merged into each other.

this might help

http://psd.museum.upenn.edu

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I would absolutely take a class on Sumerian civilization and submit a report in a cuneiform font.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

You obviously didn't follow the latter parts of that thread. Sniper's home was burgled a few times, his parents did a 180 on some poo poo and I think he abandoned the property after taking what he could. After that I have no idea what happened, but the hole in the roof is not really an issue anymore.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Sniper, I, too, now have an odd hole in my roof.

I feel your pain. This loving thing happened when I got the porch lifted and the sub got crushed.

I created a 1250 dollar problem by fixing a 700 dollar problem.

h-h-h-h-h-ome ownershipppp
:homebrew:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I feel your pain. This loving thing happened when I got the porch lifted and the sub got crushed.

Our roof was old as poo poo and growing moss so we just preemptively tore off the entire thing plus fascia boards and gutters and replaced them with new.

Goodbye 10k in savings. :cripes:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Our roof was old as poo poo and growing moss so we just preemptively tore off the entire thing plus fascia boards and gutters and replaced them with new.

Goodbye 10k in savings. :cripes:

Lots of people around me are getting new roofs, I'm worried that maybe I need one but my roof is only like 8 years old and should be good? Rumor is that you can call your homeowners insurance and have them come inspect for hail damage (if hail is a thing where you live) and they'll cover all/most of a new roof.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Post the hole.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Blasphemaster posted:

I would absolutely take a class on Sumerian civilization and submit a report in a cuneiform font.

Sadly, cuneiform is syllabic rather than an alphabet. Specifically, each character represents a noun-consonant or consonant-noun form. This means that a) there's no easy way to convert character-for-character from the Latin alphabet into cuneiform, and b) there are English words that just can't be rendered in cuneiform because there are too many consonants. (Sort of like transliteration into katakana).

That said, it might be doable to have something like Chinese-language keyboards, where you type in pinyin and it renders into the appropriate character. I don't know of anyone who's done this, but it would be pretty neat.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Olothreutes posted:

Lots of people around me are getting new roofs, I'm worried that maybe I need one but my roof is only like 8 years old and should be good? Rumor is that you can call your homeowners insurance and have them come inspect for hail damage (if hail is a thing where you live) and they'll cover all/most of a new roof.

In reading, PA there was a huge hailstorm a few years ago and people were waiting up to two years for all the new roofs.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Also, Enkidel doesn't even use cuneiform anymore. We've invented parchment and an alphabet. My guess is it looks something like Phoenician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenician_alphabet

(Which is also interesting in that it was the template for many scripts, but the closest script existing today is Hebrew. Hebrew is just coincidentally the language of angels in this game.)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Toughy posted:

In reading, PA there was a huge hailstorm a few years ago and people were waiting up to two years for all the new roofs.

We get pretty frequent hail storms here during the monsoons, and I suspect that will only become more common as global warming continues unabated. Roofing companies around here stay pretty busy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Sadly, cuneiform is syllabic rather than an alphabet. Specifically, each character represents a noun-consonant or consonant-noun form. This means that a) there's no easy way to convert character-for-character from the Latin alphabet into cuneiform, and b) there are English words that just can't be rendered in cuneiform because there are too many consonants. (Sort of like transliteration into katakana).

Wait, consonant-noun, not consonant-vowel?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Oh hey, there's a toy car on my roof...

I don't have kids.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Oh hey, there's a toy car on my roof...

I don't have kids.

Looks like your roof has kids

That's gonna cost you

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Basscop posted:

Looks like your roof has kids

That's gonna cost you

American huh? Child support payment should keep a roof over your head.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Just another day or two folks and we will finally update, thank you for your patience.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Just finished polishing, shining, and oiling the greaves.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Just finished polishing, shining, and oiling the greaves.

Whomever receives this had better post pics of the armor in action

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Whoever receives this had better go to war with the Amalakites IRL and document it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Diogines posted:

Whoever receives this had better go to war with the Amalakites IRL and document it.

Haven't the Amalakites suffered enough without some internet people with indestructible armor coming after them?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
please dont actually fight anyone with this stuff its either rather thin steel with a bronze veneer or solid bronze and thus very bendy

YES CONQUER THE AMALAKITES

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

please dont actually fight anyone with this stuff its either rather thin steel with a bronze veneer or solid bronze and thus very bendy

Please don't conquer the Amalakites with your mystically indestructible blessed Snulsmas gift.

wink

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I promise pictures of me stabbing the ocean if I get any sort of stabbing implement.

If I don’t please start ignoring my questions Diog.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
i mean realistically yes you can kill somebody with the things i am sending and they will cut well for generations given proper maintenance but please do not

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Amaleki delenda est

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Something that confuses me about the current understanding of souls and or blue stuff is El breathing life into each person.

It maybe just another comforting lie but surely Enkidel has seen Zepathan unblooded being born and getting some blue stuff. As the top 3 most beloved man in the House of Zepath he probably gets loads of request to be there for a child being born.

Anyway my confusion comes from the fact that if only blooded go to heaven then why does El waste the ??? on the unblooded who are just going to waste it by evaporating when they die.

The answers that I come up with are that Amos is wrong about that or Labaras or someone else(Enkidu?) made another pact for the unblooded but its not working right. Mercy not being misplaced and all. A net loss in ??? but it allows for scrubs a chance at Paradise.

We do know that some unblooded by Zepathan standards go to mt. har. though. Every time a ball dies on screen they zoom off and baring the mighty men they are explicitly unblooded but this might be due to Enkidel creating exceptions to the rule with his buff field.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Alternatively, Zepath is absurdly Blooded to the point where even our "commoners" are Blooded enough by most other standards to all qualify for heaven. We are after all THE most blooded city on the planet outside of Baitel, even more Blooded than the Great Cities, if the founding myth of Zepa being a son rather than a grandson of Labaras is true.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Can everyone in Zepath actually trace their lineage back to the old man? I thought it was just a sign of everyone's allegiance to the city state to call Zepa their Father and what Amos was saying that you actually need to be from the line of Labaras to go to Heaven?

Even if everyone in Zepath is related to Zepa in some way, Kavodel had donut unblooded in their early days though. For example that slave couple that escaped Gezer because of that awful merchant sure looks to be unblooded. The chances of Enkidel seeing a donut baby being born in Kavodel is high. We can even assume that donuts get blue stuff because when they die they do have them its just they dissipate.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
It's just part of the covenant, every descendant of Lanarkshire gets a bit o' the blue. Not El's fault people aren't making good use of it these days.

E. Well that's a weird autocorrect.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

But didn't Amos say that wasn't the case? Only the blooded get heaven? Or does this mean getting blue stuff does something else other than give you a ticket to mt har upon death?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I wonder what the ethical calculus of spreading out the blood of labaras as much as possible versus trying to ensure maximum potency over long periods of time eugenics? Like a quality versus quantity thing. Especially now that we know that's how you get to heaven.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Polgas posted:

But didn't Amos say that wasn't the case? Only the blooded get heaven? Or does this mean getting blue stuff does something else other than give you a ticket to mt har upon death?

Amos also says that Labaras was a man, which uh, seems very unlikely. Dude was supporting some massive blinders.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Polgas posted:

Amos was more interesting than that. He said something like only blooded men have an immortal part.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Polgas posted:

Something that confuses me about the current understanding of souls and or blue stuff is El breathing life into each person.

It maybe just another comforting lie but surely Enkidel has seen Zepathan unblooded being born and getting some blue stuff. As the top 3 most beloved man in the House of Zepath he probably gets loads of request to be there for a child being born.

Anyway my confusion comes from the fact that if only blooded go to heaven then why does El waste the ??? on the unblooded who are just going to waste it by evaporating when they die.

Remember that Blooded is a sliding scale rather than a binary. Compared to the Gebebans, everyone in the donut is Blooded, even the slaves. Also. It may not be guaranteed that the least Blooded of Urians doesn't return to Mt. Har. Remember that everyone who died at the base of the mountain went up, even if they weren't that Blooded. And as far as El "wasting" ???, have you seen how everyone in this setting treats promises? If El swore to give decedents of Labaras bluestuff then he will give them bluestuff, whether or not it makes utilitarian sense to do so.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

I do wish Enkidel knew how to make soul stones though. Just hand every Gebeban one and occasionally sacrifice the stones from those that recently die to El so they can go to mt. Har.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Polgas posted:

I do wish Enkidel knew how to make soul stones though. Just hand every Gebeban one and occasionally sacrifice the stones from those that recently die to El so they can go to mt. Har.

I too wish Enkidel was Jesus who could save everyone, instead of, at best, a Moses who can lead his people through decades of misery to barely surviving.