Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dizz posted:

I figured Ifrit, Ramuh, and Shiva were story or event driven, so im more about the random encounter stuff. I picked Ifrit btw.

So far it seems like I can't remove Lann or Reyn from the parties at all, small OR big.

so far I've been using items sparingly, mostly just potions and PD.

I'm still relatively early in the game, just beat Yuna and I'm gonna take a break before the snow area.

The other two can only be gotten way later in an adult form or once you get the fly technique going back to the first dungeon and doing the side path you couldnt cross before. Once on the other side youll enter an area with random encounters that very very very rarely have baby forms of the other trio.

So the updates dont fix anything about trapping Reyn and Lann on your team is frankly astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Extra weird given X/Y took a shitload of time and effort to make HD models and animations for every single Pokemon so they could use them for future games without having to go through it all again for a while. (since the later Stadium-type games started making the model reuse very obvious apparently)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

The other two can only be gotten way later in an adult form or once you get the fly technique going back to the first dungeon and doing the side path you couldnt cross before. Once on the other side youll enter an area with random encounters that very very very rarely have baby forms of the other trio.

So the updates dont fix anything about trapping Reyn and Lann on your team is frankly astounding.

I have no idea why they thought you would want to keep those dweebs in your party instead of piling on more FF monsters

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

I have no idea why they thought you would want to keep those dweebs in your party instead of piling on more FF monsters

You can swap them in battle for Champions in the new version by buying the accessories but it comes with some pretty strict limitations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

How exactly does the co-op work in Let's Go?

Second Joycon player presses start and then gets access to the same 6 Pokemon party as a double battle partner. They're like Tails in Sonic 2 where they can help but player 1 still controls everything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh shiiiiiiiiiit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

They dont even do much. Every 10 levels you can give them a new skill when you can buy powerful attacks of all elements and thus dont need to care about what skill is equipped to them

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Macaluso posted:

Discussion > Bideo James > Nintendo Witch: Put it on the Switch and I'll play it

:hfive:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, they look really bad. There's a bunch of videos out there comparing how the old N64 games did Pokemon animations compared to Let's Go and it makes Let's Go look so primitive.

https://i.imgur.com/kY7XgiF.gifv

Detective Pikachu for the most part uses the exact same models and it has great animation so they clearly could have made more of an effort.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kinda glad I moved to France because in a moment of weakness I checked the Eevee version of the game, where it's called Let's Go Évoli, and it just made me pause enough to realize that I don't need or want this.

Seeing non-English Pokèmon names (for the original generation) is like hearing non-English Disney songs. It's something that disturbs me to the core with its wrongness.

On one hand, going the extra mile in localization (especially in games for kids) is extremely cool and good. OTOH, well, once you're imprinted with your version of the songs/names, it's rough to be on the internet sometimes.

The localization differences keep mindflooding me lately in BOTW, too. I found the spring of the horse god in BOTW and wanted to check treasures / seeds near it on the net, so i googled for "Mahlon 's spring" (check it out, the horse god is called Mahlon, that's cool, sweet reference to Malon, the girl with Epona from Ocarina of Time!) and...
...nothing came up.
I had to pull up an English map of the game to find out the place is called "Malanya's Spring" ?!??! What?

This keeps happening, too. Some guide told me to get the climbing gear from the Lanayru mountain range, and i'm scouring all over the in-game map and can't find it, until i eventually come across an NPC in Hateno village who says "Yo, check out the Ranelle mountain in the distance! At the Ranelle Peak is the spring of wisdom dedicated to the goddess Nayru, bee tee dubs, Nelle is apparently an ancient name for Nayru! Sweet, huh?!"
Oh... Ranelle... Ranayru... Lanayru... Got it. :what:

Or the Tarrin wetlands and Marrin bay, next to each other (oh hi, Link's Awakening), who are the somehow much less recognizable Torin wetlands and Malin bay in English, which makes me wonder if the English localization group just missed that or what. But then the very obviously named Saria Lake (in a lost woods kinda setting, no less!) from the English version somehow ends up as the "Salija Lake" on my map. :psyduck:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the game's just an attempt to get (mostly young kids whose first exposure was) pokemon go players hooked into the actual mainline of games in time for the one coming out next year, which why its pretty drastically cut down
it doesn't really strike me as particularly good or even playable if you're outside that target audience, but im kind of curious if the lovely animations are going to carry over to the next game, especially since i don't remember them being so...basic in SuMo

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

In reading everything that's come out today about Let's Go, I'm actually excited. It's going to be fun playing this with my two poke-maniac daughters (8 and 6).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, they look really bad. There's a bunch of videos out there comparing how the old N64 games did Pokemon animations compared to Let's Go and it makes Let's Go look so primitive.

I think that’s just an outliner. Everything I’m seeing in this latest round of prerelease footage at least matches the 3DS games. Looks fine to me.:shrug:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Policenaut posted:

Just lol if you play a Pokémon game with slow rear end attack animations on

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgEggGZEs0

It's just the same animations at a higher resolution.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey so gently caress Nintendo.

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-13-husband-and-wife-must-pay-usd12m-to-nintendo-for-running-rom-sites?__twitter_impression=true

They're only going after them to drive up sales of their Classic consoles.
Same reason we will probably never see a VC on Switch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-13-husband-and-wife-must-pay-usd12m-to-nintendo-for-running-rom-sites?__twitter_impression=true

“We apologize wholeheartedly for providing something that Nintendo refuses to offer on their newest system but maybe wanted to later, they aren’t really telling us.”

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Are official Nintendo chargers still the only way to go?

I've got a 7h+ car trip coming up and kind of don't want to pay extra for Nintendo's inability to follow USB specs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's only for the dock. You can charge it handheld however you want. I use an iPad brick and a €5 cable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

lmao congrats nintendo for ruining the lives of people for offering chrono_trigger(J).smc and immediately taking it down when told

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Inzombiac posted:

So idk how all this legal nonsense works, obviously this couple cannot actually pay Nintendo 12 million dollars (I assume they aren't millionaires). What happens instead?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Macaluso posted:

So idk how all this legal nonsense works, obviously this couple cannot actually pay Nintendo 12 million dollars (I assume they aren't millionaires). What happens instead?

They’ll probably settle for a manageable yet still lovely 6 figure amount.

Also lol they had to turn over any Ninty hardware or games that they do own.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Beastie posted:

Also lol they had to turn over any Ninty hardware or games that they do own.

Now see that's where negotiations would break down for a lot of people.

"You can pry this Gamecube from my cold, dead hands."

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's only for the dock. You can charge it handheld however you want. I use an iPad brick and a €5 cable

Oh thank god. I have a bunch of wires that theoretically work with the switch, but I assumed they all ran the risk of breaking it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Macaluso posted:

Settlement and garnished wages. It will ruin their lives completely.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

Nintendo has always been a viciously lovely and greedy company, they have that weird Disney effect where people see them as more than a bunch of old greedy fucks who occassionally make products I want

But yeah this is very par for the course. That poor couple just got turbofucked for life by a corporation that continues to post very very healthy profits

Corporations are Always the Enemy

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 14, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
haven't heard of this kind of nonsense since the RIAA was still trying to crack down on mp3 distributors

even in corporate malfeasance nintendo's behind the curve

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*pushes glasses up nose*

well actually corporations are legally mandated to be insanely, viciously litigious beyond all reason and no I can't explain why some are way worse about it than others

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As greedy and lovely as Nintendo can be, they still manage to be among the least-lovely big-name people in the gaming industry.

Which is a little depressing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

KingSlime posted:

Nintendo has always been a viciously lovely and greedy company, they have that weird Disney effect where people see them as more than a bunch of old greedy fucks who occassionally make products I want

But yeah this is very par for the course. That poor couple just got turbofucked for life by a corporation that continues to post very very healthy profits

Corporations are Always the Enemy

The way people rush to defend Nintendo whenever they do something wrong is genuinely disturbing. Like no matter what they say or seem like, they don't give a drat about the consumer at all, but people are all too willing to forget that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The rule is, until the game i want can be legally gotten at msrp and played on modern hardware with no dosbox bullshit, "preserve"the gently caress out of those roms. I'm gonna go make some more No Mercy characters tonight just to spite nintendo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't copy that floppy.

Actually gently caress the police, steal poo poo all the time, just don't get caught like a bitch.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

bushisms.txt posted:

The rule is, until the game i want can be legally gotten at msrp and played on modern hardware with no dosbox bullshit, "preserve"the gently caress out of those roms. I'm gonna go make some more No Mercy characters tonight just to spite nintendo.

Not to mention there's legitimate value to archiving video games like we do other creative works, something that corporations are entirely uninterested in

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Actually gently caress the police, steal poo poo all the time, just don't get caught like a bitch.

Which kinda worked against the couple when they advertised the sites as a business and had everything publicly registered in Texas.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
There's a big difference between "I own this legally and I'm doing this for archival purposes" and "running two sites that provide ROM downloads".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

empathe posted:

There's a big difference between "I own this legally and I'm doing this for archival purposes" and "running two sites that provide ROM downloads".

This, but also gently caress Nintendo for claiming eight figures in damages.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Takoluka posted:

This, but also gently caress Nintendo for claiming eight figures in damages.

Damage calculations are insane, yes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is way too much money to ask of any average person.

At the same time, considering the Virtual Console is/was a thing on three Nintendo consoles I can't imagine why anyone would take that kind of risk. The existence of roms absolutely affected sales there.

I don't agree with them doing it, and definitely not at that price, but I'm honestly surprised it's only happening now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That is way too much money to ask of any average person.

At the same time, considering the Virtual Console is/was a thing on three Nintendo consoles I can't imagine why anyone would take that kind of risk. The existence of roms absolutely affected sales there.

I don't agree with them doing it, and definitely not at that price, but I'm honestly surprised it's only happening now.

They won't pay it. They'll declare bankruptcy.