Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Was that a rhetorical question? Obviously the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alright, just getting to the end of season 3.

I loving love it when Kingpin fights.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MiddleOne posted:

Ah, the days when a superhero could be a really slow guy walking around in a metal suit.

Hockey and superhero movies have followed a similar progression.

sonatinas posted:

It’s too bad Daredevil forgot how to use his stick ricochet skills in season 3.

That actually bugged me. Especially after watching some of the S2 fights where he does it as well as bullseye. Of all people, Matt should have some capacity to dodge or deflect Bullseye's projectiles - and we finally get a glimpse of that in the final fight, but I for the life of me couldn't figure a good reason for why that was not a thing for the entire season to that point.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 10, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He throws them faster than the speed of sound :haw:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Loving Daredevil S3 so far, about 80% through.

The one thing it's a little hard to believe is that none of the Defenders would've tracked down Matt when Fisk is telling NYC to gently caress itself and DD is a wanted criminal

But half of the comic storylines don't make sense when you take that into account so nbd. Great season!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Regarding that spoiler: there's a divergent universe where Spider-man became a movie star instead of a superhero, and in that universe green goblin was beaten up, unmasked and arrested by Thor after like his third crime. Which is hilarious, but also makes you wonder where the gently caress everyone else is when Spider-man's actually fighting these guys.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One part I didn't get about Bullseye was why was his hearing so good? When he was at the office and nearly killed Foggy during the fight Matt's hiding from him and tries to pick up some scissors or a stapler or something and he gets his hand stabbed. I don't remember any mention of the suit being enhanced in any way. The only difference I was aware of was them cutting eyeholes into it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

RareAcumen posted:

One part I didn't get about Bullseye was why was his hearing so good? When he was at the office and nearly killed Foggy during the fight Matt's hiding from him and tries to pick up some scissors or a stapler or something and he gets his hand stabbed. I don't remember any mention of the suit being enhanced in any way. The only difference I was aware of was them cutting eyeholes into it.

I thought he just knew he was there and just saw his hand stick out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah that part was a little silly in the interest of looking cool. Matt is supposed to be a super-ninja so he should've been able to turn the table once he was out of sight, but they had to establish the threat I suppose.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dex is also a highly trained sniper, so anticipating how people will behave behind cover is a huge part of his deal.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So when Dex goes to the address he gets from Matt over the phone, and finds the bodies in the freezer, was one of them Melvin Potter (Gladiator, aka the doofus who made Daredevil's red suit)?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Red posted:

So when Dex goes to the address he gets from Matt over the phone, and finds the bodies in the freezer, was one of them Melvin Potter (Gladiator, aka the doofus who made Daredevil's red suit)?

Consensus seemed to be that it was the two guys Fisk's cleaner had used to kill Dex's crush, and that they had been killed to clean up loose ends. That scene was so underplayed that I had to back it up when it happened and we didn't get a good look at the two guys.

e: Agreed, it just makes for a whole lot of unnecessary confusion.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 12, 2018

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

As Nero Danced posted:

Consensus seemed to be that it was the two guys Fisk's cleaner had used to kill Dex's crush, and that they had been killed to clean up loose ends. That scene was so underplayed that I had to back it up when it happened and we didn't get a good look at the two guys.

Then that's just a really really poor decision on the director's choice, because they look the same.

Edit: Gladiator's actor is only credited for 1 episode, so I guess that's clear: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313902/

Red fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 12, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well Tall Painter and Short Painter, who are credited during their former appearance, aren't credited in the finale as actors, though one is credited as a stunt double.

(Short Painter, not so much, though maybe Jim Beaver hasn't gotten around to doing that part yet.)

So the jury's still out.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Erik Oleson was the showrunner of Season 3:

https://twitter.com/erikoleson/status/1054814739639918592?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They got a 1 star rating

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nothing marvel has ever done got me as thrilled as Matt finding and then just shouting at Fisk after all the bullshit he's been put through for the entire season.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

e: Agreed, it just makes for a whole lot of unnecessary confusion.

A That’s dumb as hell. Why kill loyal hit men? It would stymie your hiring process. Plus then you need to kill the people who killed them

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

massive spider posted:

A That’s dumb as hell. Why kill loyal hit men? It would stymie your hiring process. Plus then you need to kill the people who killed them

Hey we all have off days. Maybe Fisk hadn't had his coffee yet.

Didn't you read the mug on his desk? *in extremely Fisk voice* "Don't TALK to me until the mug is THIS empty!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

massive spider posted:

Why would Fisk need street level thugs or contract killers if he’s got
A) that British dude
B) the FBI

Also Kingpin’s MO is using loose ends to tie each other up, the dudes who did that job for him probably cost him some money at some point, so he gets them to be useful to him before he deals with them.

It was also the coldest and most clinical shooting I’ve ever seen in a drama and in a show full of violence it was the most upsetting thing I’ve seen on DD in 3 seasons.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

massive spider posted:

Every Wednesday, they hire new hitmen. Every Friday, the new hitmen kill the old hitmen. (Thursday is for paperwork and orientation.)

It's a cycle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Dex is also a highly trained sniper, so anticipating how people will behave behind cover is a huge part of his deal.

That's a fair enough reason I suppose. I'll have to take a look at the scene again because maybe I just didn't notice he'd snuck up on him by then.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DeafNote posted:

Nothing marvel has ever done got me as thrilled as Matt finding and then just shouting at Fisk after all the bullshit he's been put through for the entire season.

This, but the moment when Matt sees Dex in the DD suit for the first time. I know slow-mo is sometimes overused but that moment of him coming around the corner with that "are you not seeing what I'm not seeing?" look on his face was so loving good. And then it's followed up by that awesome fight in the newspaper office.

God this season was so good! And it seems like something that will definitely hold up well on a re-watch as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Something else that I loved: When Dex tries to get Fisk's attention in the hallway. There's this constant buzzing in the background whenever Dex is on-screen. It was such an awesome and understated way to demonstrate how Dex was in the midst of a total mental break. That actor did an amazing job I thought.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is what Matt has to fear when Bullseye returns.

https://i.imgur.com/1kH1Z6u.gifv

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Every Wednesday, they hire new hitmen. Every Friday, the new hitmen kill the old hitmen. (Thursday is for paperwork and orientation.)

It's a cycle.

That's some guild of calamitous intent poo poo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RareAcumen posted:

This is what Matt has to fear when Bullseye returns.

https://i.imgur.com/1kH1Z6u.gifv

“He’s ricocheting the briefcase!”

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

PantsBandit posted:

This, but the moment when Matt sees Dex in the DD suit for the first time. I know slow-mo is sometimes overused but that moment of him coming around the corner with that "are you not seeing what I'm not seeing?" look on his face was so loving good. And then it's followed up by that awesome fight in the newspaper office.

God this season was so good! And it seems like something that will definitely hold up well on a re-watch as well.

Have rewatched and can confirm.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm glad Daredevil was really good again. Especially today. Especially today.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Actually, having just finished a rewatch - I'm assuming we don't need spoiler tags anymore, since the 72-hour rule is long past - that church fight was great, but Karen drove me nuts. She tells Matt to get Bullseye out of the way so she can get people out of the church. He does - and then she sort of shushes them and holds them back and says "Get them out, but wait until I distract him". Lady, he's already distracted! His rear end just got thrown through a wall! Why are you not all running away!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Am I the only one who found the escalating grimdarkness of the big Karen flashback a bit silly?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Am I the only one who found the escalating grimdarkness of the big Karen flashback a bit silly?

It was a bit silly but I'm willing to forgive it because this season is the first time Karen has actually felt like a well-developed, capable character. I felt a bit of backstory had been earned, and with where it fit in the season I think they had to go pretty dark or it would have felt very out of place tonally.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm at foggy giving a speech to the cops and it's just bouncing me away from the new season like a brick wall

the cop-fellating element of these marvel netflix shows has been around since dd s1, but drat if isn't getting more grating with time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Karen’s episode is a stark contrast for the entire series but as someone who grew up in a lovely redneck mountain town I was captivated

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't especially like how grim they made it either. It makes sense to give Karen a reason to want to redeem herself, but at some point you will roll your eyes and wonder how far they're going to force the point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

Karen’s episode is a stark contrast for the entire series but as someone who grew up in a lovely redneck mountain town I was captivated

That's something I've noticed. Everyone who's grown up in a town like that seems to be really engaged with that episode and say yeah that makes a lot of sense and makes Karen's character click into focus. But a lot of people who didn't grow up in a town like that seem to think it was weird or exaggerated or silly.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I really liked the Karen episode. It was definitely super grim, but that's honestly this show in general...it's a punchman in a costume who spends his free time agonizing about Jesus. It makes sense that even the young ingenue trying to make it on her own would actually be escaping drugs and frozen poverty.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s the most realistic plot line in the entire series, actually, except Sister Maggie’s. I don’t really understand how this is GrimDark in a way that, say, Julie’s execution wasn’t.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of the reasons you barely see negative portrayals of cops is that every exterior shot with guns or whatever requires officers on location to supervise. So, good luck getting the NYPD to cooperate with you on a show that acknowledges how loving awful cops are.

Ditto with the US millitary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Cythereal posted:

That's something I've noticed. Everyone who's grown up in a town like that seems to be really engaged with that episode and say yeah that makes a lot of sense and makes Karen's character click into focus. But a lot of people who didn't grow up in a town like that seem to think it was weird or exaggerated or silly.

I'm from a lovely redneck town and the episode was still stupid and bad and Karen is still a terrible character/actress.