Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Dramicus posted:

If it helps, think of the High Elves like Greek city-states. They are theoretically united against foreign threats, but if there is nothing directly threatening Ulthuan, they will immediately revert to their internal bickering and line up poking each other with spears in an orderly and polite way.

I see them as feudal Japan, with the Everqueen as the equivalent to the Emperor and the Phoenix King as the Shogun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Good lord Morngul Haunter's are beefy.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It's weird that mournghoul haunters have pirate names when they're more like feral wendigos being kept as pets. They should get parrot names

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
no!!!!!!!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ZeusJupitar posted:

I see them as feudal Japan, with the Everqueen as the equivalent to the Emperor and the Phoenix King as the Shogun.

That works for those two positions, but the nature of Elven society means that they are more free and individualistic as they rely on voluntary militias and go out establishing colonies beyond the influence of Ulthuan politics. Very much like the Greeks did.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Flavahbeast posted:

It's weird that mournghoul haunters have pirate names when they're more like feral wendigos being kept as pets. They should get parrot names

Ron the Creeper disagrees

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Good lord Morngul Haunter's are beefy.

Comparing the survivability of Haunters vs. regular mournguls and depth guard I think shows how weak Hunger/regen is on flimsy units. Haunters are a single model, even though they don't have great defensive stats the Hunger helps a lot in keeping them healthy. Whereas regular mournguls and depth guard die pretty easily and Hunger regen doesn't go very far when you're losing models.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

John Charity Spring posted:

and maybe even Alberic.

A reason to play Alberic, the most boring man in the universe? :eyepop:

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
Holy wow, just finished the "Guy in the Floating Tub" vortex campaign while only using a single stack the entire time. That stack you ask? General on a Necrofex, 5 more Necrofexes, 4 of those Rotting Leviathans as your "Troop line" 6 Mourngul Units, Gunnery Wight on a Crab, Mourngul Hunter, a Captain, and a Terrorghist. This army is stupid, and Necrofexes are broken as all hell. I love it. You basically make them come to you with the Necrofex guns, and charge the big fattie Leviathans at whatever. As soon as things get stuck in, charge all 6 of the Mournguls and the Hunter into the fray. Most battles since coming up with this composition only lose about 25% of 2 leviathan's hitpoints.

The captain never really did anything but break from the formation and start Coves when he could. Otherwise I would typically fill that one spot with the exploding fatty, only because the animation of a tremendous fat rear end charging towards a unit and then doing a belly flop into it right before deleting one or two entire units is amazing. Even siege battles were typically taken on without any construction time for equipment. Just bang on gates, break gates, charge everyone through and rush the center tile. All done on hard/hard settings. Methinks a balancing patch will occur soon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Re: High Elf army composition,

I use the tabletop force limits mod, so your choices for army comp are a lot wider without it, but in general I have two philosophy's with high elf armies. You can block out the sun with arrows or you can just hold and hammer and anvil the hell out of them as you have great tools for both.

Blocking out the sun with arrows is pretty great with a princess as she can sit there buffing up all your ranged. Just get a front line of seaguard with shields and then sisters, bolt throwers, etc. in the back. Pretty basic but you can do some hilarious levels of deletion with this army comp. You can get some big monsters to season to taste, I would recommend treekin as they suit this style as well as a frostheart phoenix.

For hammer and anvil I like a frontline of spearmen backed up by white lions/swordmasters for ap, while you go all in on the cav, tons of silverhelms, fireheart phoenixes, dragons, all love to be cycle charging. Your infantry are really just there to hold them in place as your great charge bonuses take care of the rest. This is a bit more fun as you have more to micro, but of course this means more can go wrong too. Pretty much never let any of your cav sit there and fight, and the only dragon I'd say is okay doing that is the Star Dragon, the rest you want to always be charging. Cav as well take great advantage of your healing capacity. Dragon Princes love being properly taken care of.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The trick to starting as Alarielle is letting the dark elves in Nagarythe sit on their lovely land and just holding the gate while you conquer the insane money maker that is Saphery. Then you can work on reclaiming the rest of the island from Norsca and Vampirates

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you get blood kisses from killing any lord or is it just specific ones? If so, how can i tell which lord will give me kisses?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Dongattack posted:

Do you get blood kisses from killing any lord or is it just specific ones? If so, how can i tell which lord will give me kisses?

its any lord. I got 6 kisses pretty fast just by murdering the generic lords bretonnia kept pooping out at me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Now, I'm kind of glad that the pirates don't get a bullet sponge of a boss, like in the Dawn of War games, but the final battle was still kind of disappointing. I just threw a random stack of units at it, and won handily without really doing much, besides hurling all melee units into a lump in the middle, while my ranged units ignored friendly fire casualties.

I could probably have won thirty turns ago, but I wanted to try out the top tier units some more, so it ended on turn 104.

But hurray, first Legendary win. I should've played Vortex much sooner; this is nowhere near as much of a grind as ME.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

What about repeatedly killing the same Lord?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It turns out that abandoning melee units entirely was the solution to the Lothern issue all along.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, Bretonnia (like the entire area along the western cost) is ridiculously unprepared for Heinrich Kemmler and The Barrow Legion. The game said it was gonna be HARD in big red letters, but but there's just nothing they can do to a skeleton/zombie blitzkrieg rush. Units too lovely and area too fractured, I LIKE IT

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lothern Seamanii

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really want to play as the Dwarfs and gently caress off to the North or even the West, anything but the Badlands. But there are so many cool, insanely lucrative landmarks down there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Ok gang I've been having fun with the vampire coast and making a blue noctilus, but now i'm back on my bullshit. I'm gonna keep going with my Picks for the WH3 legendary lords, and for now I'm gonna cover the chaos gods.

I know the initial plan from the leaks was for 4 factions, one for each chaos god, but i'm feeling like that is unlikely now. the current pattern for LLs is 2 at launch, then eventually 4 through freelc and dlc. and to be blunt, chaos doesn't have 16 legendary lord options, especially with kairos fateweaver, sigvald, and archaon off the table.

what i'm feeling is more likely is 1 chaos demons faction with 4 LLs, with more LLs introduced through dlc and freelc. that would give us 1 guy per lord at launch, then im guessing we would get at least 2 LLs per god eventually. I could be wrong on that too, but oh well.

Each god in these posts is also gonna be introduced by me with a short piece of poetry, by the one true bard of Chaos, Oderus Urungus

First up:

Papa Nurgle

Forever titillating, a pile of rotting feet.
All you are is brains and bones, a sack of rancid meat.

Nurgle is by far my favourite chaos god, and its not really to do with his aesthetic. It's because Nurgle is by far the most three-dimensional of all the chaos gods. Nurgle has Nuance. He's the god of death and decay, disease, despair, and resignation, but also the god of all the positive emotions that go with those things: camaraderie, love, empathy, comfort, mercy, etc. Nurgle might send plagues to kill you, but he's also going to be the one to make your last moments tolerable. He's a father to all his creations, and all his creations are a big family. There's no backstabbing or elaborate punishments for failure in Nurgle's world. One time he was brewing the most toxic plague he had ever created, when the nurgling who was standing on his shoulder and watching slipped off and tumbled into the pot. The nurgling wound up drinking the whole pot of plague and growing into a great unclean one in the process, and nurgle's only reaction was to laugh at how funny it had been.

And then because his children love him, the nurgling felt very bad about ruining his dad's best plague and now trawls the universe for ingredients to replace it.

All the chaos gods are meant to have that flip-side, but only Nurgle has really kept it in the lore. And despite all his guys looking like rotting zombies, he absolutely hates the true undead. Escaping death is an insult to Nurgle, which is why Nurgle's forces ended up being the primary counter to the Undead in the End Times.

Nurgles minions include little nurglings who are like baby versions of him, plague dogs who are so excited to see everyone and play that they lick them with poison tongues and kill them (this is canon), and a guy who plays the bagpipes.

Nurgle's Champions

1) Festus Leechlord

look at how cute the nurgling is helping out on top

Festus is my #1 choice for a Nurgle LL. back in the old days, Festus was a plague doctor who worked hard all around the Empire curing diseases and saving people. because of being a good person in warhammer, he eventually encountered a plague so vicious and so resistant to treatment that he began to lose his mind searching for a cure. he was working in his lab late one night when his eyes beheld an eerie sight, for all the corpses on his slabs began to rise, and suddenly to his surprise

they did a voice
they did the nurgle voice
the nurgle voice
it told festus about all the plagues and broke his brain.

to this day Festus roams the land doing the monster mash and experimenting on people with his plagues. he's kind of nurgles best mortal champion, and responsible for a lot of ghoul poo poo in the end times. he puked on Leon Louceur and Vlad von carstein so hard they both died, unfortunately for festus vlad came back and hosed him up. Nurgle is nice though so Festus came back in age of sigmar to do the monster mash once more.

pros:
- very cute nurgling friends
- fat boy
- monster mash
- helpful leech holds his staff
- got a new model in end times which means hes still relevant

cons:
- monster mash
- puked on vlad the dad

Other Options

The Glottkin

Just 3 Boyz

the glottkin are also imperials like Festus, but their story is a little different. their parents were in the warhammer peace corps, their dad was a nordlander and their mother was an imperial life mage. they went to live in Norsca to try and teach the locals how to use life magic and how to farm crops better, so that maybe they could break the norscan reliance on raiding and chaos to survive out in the ice wastes. they were received far better than anyone expected, until some drat HORRIBLE OLD LADY pricked the (now pregnant) life mage lady's finger with a cursed dagger. what a fuckin rear end in a top hat.

anyway life magic couldn't cure the illness that threatened her life and the life of her babies, so she prayed for divine assistance. papa nurgle answered. the illness cleared up, and she gave birth to three healthy sons. they had ominous 3 blotch birthmarks, but there was clearly no reason to worry about that. they named the kids otto, ethrac and ghurek, because all the good names were already taken.

unfortunately for their happy life in norsca the dickhead Nordlanders sailed over and declared war on the norscans for no reason, just like happens in total war all the time. the family took up arms to defend the norscan people they lived with, but mom and dad got gunned down by Nordlander troops. This caused the triplets to unleash their inner power, just like gohan did when radditz was kicking goku's rear end.

ghurek turned into a big beefy green boy, legally distinct from any type of hulks or bulks, able to swallow a man whole and poo poo him out as a chaos spawn like a less disturbing yoshi. ethrac gained sick sorcery powers and busted out his spells. Otto got... slightly fatter and better with his farming scythe. Together they formed the Gangrene Gan- i mean, the Glottkin.

they also did a lot of stuff in the end times. archaon picked them to lead his invasion force, and otto killed both vlad von carstein (who cant catch a break in this post) and karl franz. Vlad only lost cause his sword automatically makes peoples blood fly into his mouth during combat, and Otto's blood is made out of straight poop, and karl franz came back to life immediately for bullshit reasons. after karl came back all Sigmared up the Glottkin turned into flies and escaped like team rocket. Nurgle trapped them in jars in his office for failing him, but he let them out for age of sigmar because he couldn't stay mad at them for too long.

they are a cool option for an LL, kind of a hybrid caster/melee bruiser/monster like noctilus is on his necrofex. they got a lot of attention from GW and are prominent in current-era nurgle lore. I like festus a little better because his design is less excessive and the nurglings on him are very cute. even though one of the glottkin is kind of a giant nurgling.

pros:
- 3 for the price of 1
- very cool
- getting them in the game would let people who arent billionaires play as them, unlike the tabletop model
- brotherly love
- canonically have cornwall farmer accents for some reason

cons:
- i know the necrofex is great and all but they would be a fuckin nightmare for CA to animate which hurts their chances of getting in

Gutrot Spume

half hentai, half hentai fan

Gutrot Spume is the, uh, lord of tentacles. yes really. Originally he was a norscan who really, really liked swimming. He'd swim all the time, and stab all the fish with his knife. he worked his way up the fish-stabbing totem pole until the only ocean animal that could possibly challenge him any more was a deadly ROT KRAKEN. he gathered together a great fleet of norscan ships to go and hunt down the great beast. they found it, and in his hunger for glory Gutrot dove off the boat and into the water, angling to stab the kraken right in the brain (i'm not making this up). just as he was about to reach the kraken, he heard a strange sound that sounded like the kraken laughing at him! suddenly he was attacked from all angles by friggin baby krakens!

He was like 'oh poo poo' as the tentacles wrapped around him, the baby krakens started biting his flesh off, and one of them even swallowed his left arm. He broke free and started to swim away, losing blood as he went, not expecting to survive. Where other chaos gods are massive dicks who write people off for failing even at tough tasks, Nurgle is a cool guy. Nurgle realised that Gutrot was a good guy having a bad day, and decided to help him out.

When Gutrot climbed back onto the boat, he was now more sea creature than man. He was 3x as fat as he was when he went in, fat like a whale, and his skin was slimy and pale like the skin of an underwater beast. his left arm had fused with the baby kraken that had tried to eat him, and now he had sick tentacles there instead.

Now he's a pirate basically, and rules the largest plague fleet in all of Norsca. he doesn't really have an ending in the end times lore because they didn't write the book he was meant to be in, where he would end up duelling Luthor Harkon on a sinking ship as the world ended around them.

i don't know how likely he is for a LL, but you know how CA likes to pick lesser characters to make into LLs sometimes

Pros:
- really hates all fish
- pirate
- CA might like his connection to the vampire coast

Cons:
- hentai
- no nurglings

Maggoth Riders

Orghotts, Morbidex, and Bloab

I'm grouping these three together because a) they're a group and b) this post is already too long

All three guys ride big monster maggots with legs called Maggoths, and all three of them live in the Icehorn mountains in Norsca. That's where nurgles tribes live, and these guys are the champions of those tribes.

Orghotts is kind of the boss of the bunch, he's the son of a human witch and a great unclean one (don't ask how) and is perpetually pissy about being half demon. When a normal person dies of Nurgle's Rot they turn into a one-horned demon called a Plaguebearer. Orghotts wants to be a full demon like that and go and live in Nurgle's nice garden. he gets to visit the garden now and then, but hes not allowed to touch the exhibits which makes him mad. instead he has to put up with being extremely strong, having a basically immortal lifespan, and being the living vessel for nurgle's rot. boo hoo.

Morbidex was burned super badly as a baby and was deformed because of it. his tribes shamans taught him all there was about the chaos gods, but made the mistake of mentioning the Tzeentch is associated with fire. Morbidex got really angry and was like 'gently caress it, im going to gently caress up tzeentch as revenge' and went off to seek nurgles help. he sailed across the sea to the icehorn mountains, and for whatever reason at this time nurgle's garden was intruding into the real world. while he was climbing an icy mountain, which was also covered in mushrooms, he felt a great rumbling and something hit him in the face. at first he thought it was a rock fall or an avalanche, but the thing that had hit him had been giggling. before he could puzzle it out, he got washed off the side of the mountain by a big avalanche of nurglings.

he woke up a while later, trapped in a big pile of nurglings. one of the nurglings introduced himself as the boss of the bunch, and asked Morbidex a riddle. morbidex got it right and the little nurgling started trying to push him free. it did not help at all. but more nurglings came to him with riddles. each one that he got right, that nurgling tried to help him. each one that he got wrong, the nurgling would poke a part of his body and it would transform to resemble that part of the nurglings body. eventually he got free from the nurgling pile, but by the time he tasted fresh air again he was far more nurgling than man. he travelled to the icehorn tribe and introduced himself (in a squeaky voice) as Morbidex Twiceborn, and orghotts welcome him to the family.

Bloab was a real fuckin prick. all his life he picked on bugs, pulling their legs off, burning them, trapping them and letting them starve to death. a real prick, and a menace to all small creatures. Nurgle did not like this, because nurgle is cool. Papa nurgle decided to teach him a lesson, and one night when Bloab was sleeping by a campfire a big freakin tornado of bugs massed up and flew down his throat, laying a shitload of eggs inside him. he somehow slept through this, but when he woke up the larvae started to eat him from the inside out. it sucked rear end, but it was the revenge of the bugs.

nurgle isn't a dick though, and bloab survived through nurgle's blessing. he also learned his lesson about being mean to little bugs. now he is just a big empty skin balloon that is filled with bugs, who he loves and they love him. he spreads bugs wherever he goes, and helps out the small creatures of the world. also he rides a maggoth like the other guys.

Pros:
- Morbidex is a giant nurgling with a funny voice
- Bloab is cool and gross
- Maggoth is a cool mount option

cons:
- Orghotts kind of generic
- might seem weird for CA to add one as a LL but not the others? idk.

that's all i've got time for now folks. Next post will probably be tzeentch, and be much shorter because nurgle has gotten all the love lately and has the best characters. Tzeentch has like two guys total, and one of those is already in the game.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Your posts are extremely good, keep it up. Before the TW games my whole knowledge of Warhammer Fantasy was one of the Gotrek omnibuses so this is fascinating

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Keep the loreposts and speculation coming!

The CA team have pulled characters and references from pretty obscure places. How about 1998's Champions of Chaos supplement to the 5th edition Realm of Chaos army book?

Featuring such beloved characters as:

Aekold Helbrass, the Tzeentch champion who breathes life into everything around him

Count Mordrek the Damned, the champion cursed with a constantly mutating form

Valnir the Reaper, an old champion brought back to life to spread more plagues for Papa Nurgle

Dechala, the Denied One, a half-snake Slaaneshi duelist

Arbaal the Undefeated, a classic Khorne champion from early warhammer editions who rides a giant hound of Khorne

It's not all also-rans, it has Archaon, Khazrak and Scylla Anfingrimm, who at least made it to more modern editions

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Grumio posted:

Keep the loreposts and speculation coming!

The CA team have pulled characters and references from pretty obscure places. How about 1998's Champions of Chaos supplement to the 5th edition Realm of Chaos army book?

Featuring such beloved characters as:

Aekold Helbrass, the Tzeentch champion who breathes life into everything around him

Count Mordrek the Damned, the champion cursed with a constantly mutating form

Valnir the Reaper, an old champion brought back to life to spread more plagues for Papa Nurgle

Dechala, the Denied One, a half-snake Slaaneshi duelist

Arbaal the Undefeated, a classic Khorne champion from early warhammer editions who rides a giant hound of Khorne

It's not all also-rans, it has Archaon, Khazrak and Scylla Anfingrimm, who at least made it to more modern editions

i'd like to see more wacky old stuff, especially for tzeentch and slaanesh, who otherwise have like 1 champion each

edit: there is one LL i would really, really want to see, more than any other, but i'm gonna save him for a later post

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only chaos lord I specifically want to see (and the only one I know, really) is that one lady that decided she was Khorne's wife and killed her way into the position.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
This patch or perhaps the one before, whichever one tinkered with reinforcements, has completely broken all my old replays.

I now have a bunch of replays where I lose instead of winning by the skin of my teeth.

Apparently this is because the direction reinforcements come on has been changed in game and also in uh, replays. Results in chaos.

Weird! And also a shame.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SLAMBO for game 3 LL

Also game, please stop defaulting to Easy campaign difficulty. I know I'm bad at Total War but I don't need you reinforcing that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The Dial of the Old Ones puzzle makes my brain shutdown.

I understand the face in the center needs to be level and then the second dial needs to be aligned to that and you pick the 3 choices that one of the lines points to, but trying to mentally flip the center and the second dial and keep track of the lines is literally making me feel the gears in my brain grind to a stop and I ain't cheating with a outside program to flip the image.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I understand the face in the center needs to be level and then the second dial needs to be aligned to that and you pick the 3 choices that one of the lines points to, but trying to mentally flip the center and the second dial and keep track of the lines is literally making me feel the gears in my brain grind to a stop and I ain't cheating with a outside program to flip the image.

Would a piece of paper count as cheating?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I haven't won any of these yet, didn't even know you're supposed to turn the outer ring as well. Never seen this puzzle type before!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

THE BAR posted:

I haven't won any of these yet, didn't even know you're supposed to turn the outer ring as well. Never seen this puzzle type before!

Most games would have you able to manipulate the stuff, whereas in this case it's all done with brain and internal visualisation. It's not bad but still not enough to make me spend a turn not throwing my mans into it to claim it as my own. I am greedy and wasteful though.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 14, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The only chaos lord I specifically want to see (and the only one I know, really) is that one lady that decided she was Khorne's wife and killed her way into the position.

Valkia the Bloody. I can only assume she didn't show up as a Norsca LL because she was planned as a Khorne LL.

She's the only named female Chaos character, much like how Elspeth is the only named Imperial character who's appeared on the tabletop and Alarielle is the token female character for the high elves. Isabella, too, as the lone woman for the VCs.

The dwarfs, greenskins, lizardmen, skaven, beastmen, and ogres have never had any female characters.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cythereal posted:

Valkia the Bloody. I can only assume she didn't show up as a Norsca LL because she was planned as a Khorne LL.

She's the only named female Chaos character, much like how Elspeth is the only named Imperial character who's appeared on the tabletop and Alarielle is the token female character for the high elves. Isabella, too, as the lone woman for the VCs.

The dwarfs, greenskins, lizardmen, skaven, beastmen, and ogres have never had any female characters.

At the very least we get generic female lords for elves and vampires. That's something, right? :sigh: It's funny to me how the game goes the extra mile and uses singular they yet the unit roster is extremely male-dominated due to the source material.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azran posted:

At the very least we get generic female lords for elves and vampires. That's something, right? :sigh: It's funny to me how the game goes the extra mile and uses singular they yet the unit roster is extremely male-dominated due to the source material.

CA twisted things for the Vampire Coast, too. Cylostra was of course completely made up for the game, but on the tabletop Aranessa is completely unconnected to the Vampire Coast and was fighting the undead at sea, not using vampires and zombies herself. She's just a badass legendary pirate queen from Norsca.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Just picked this up and uh, is there a complete ignoramus' guide to macro in the base game? I think im about to basically lose with the tutorial guy because when I started a ritual(? the top bar thing) like it told me to, a 20 stack of Skaven Intervention spawned by my innermost city and immediately razed it. Based on where I was at I can't see how I could've supported a strong enough garrison for that in all 3 cities I was supposed to be defending even if I had anticipated that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Before you start the ritual, the information screen with the "Start" button also lists three cities that will be potential targets for interventions. You're supposed to hold off starting it until you can defend those cities.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Not going to lie, washing Bretonnia clean with a sea of skeletons as Kemmler feels so good.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

There's absolutely no rush to complete rituals. You still collect resources towards the next rituals even if you haven't completed the one you're on. Even if an enemy beats you to the final ritual this just gives you a quest battle where you can permanently knock them out of competition.

When you trigger a ritual you will always get a Chaos/Skaven force appearing somewhere in or near your land and working towards a ritual site. One of the ritual competitors may also launch an intervention which will appear directly at your capital. The capital battle isn't a big issue as with walls + the extra powerful garrison you should be able to win a fight or wait out a siege.

If you're having trouble though just hang back for a few turns and build up your strength before starting the ritual.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Harkon has been such a hard start in Vortex. Constantly getting harassed by pirates, these drat lizard men and noctilus showing up every 10 turns to get his poo poo slapped is wearing me down. And now the drat ratmen have taken one of the ruined cities I need and it's gonna be a never-ending war for the rest of the coast/island.

I'm thinking of starting over and trying to get Noc into a NAP like the game suggests, but I haven't been able to get that going without spending cash to improve relations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Harkon has been such a hard start in Vortex. Constantly getting harassed by pirates, these drat lizard men and noctilus showing up every 10 turns to get his poo poo slapped is wearing me down. And now the drat ratmen have taken one of the ruined cities I need and it's gonna be a never-ending war for the rest of the coast/island.

I'm thinking of starting over and trying to get Noc into a NAP like the game suggests, but I haven't been able to get that going without spending cash to improve relations

You only really need the Vampire Coast province itself, in order to sustain yourself. Sail out and plunder for money instead. Taking large areas as the pirates feels like a trap to me, since you really don't need multiple, full armies in order to win. These armies would most likely burn gold trying to defend everything you've taken, which a necessity for other factions, sure, but the pirates have the privilege to ignore everything but their horde ship buildings.