Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im trying to compile these changes i made for testing on a mac and when i do it seems fine until i try to play the game at which point the window just goes black after the splash art

anybody have any idea whats causing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I spent a lot of the weekend helping someone clean up after some storm damage, so nothing really to update. Sorry for the broken record :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How dare you, a human being, focus on more than just working for free on a fork of an open source video game?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I demanda refund tbh

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Your complete lack of output is what stopped Octopode from being in smash

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What? Octopode's been confirmed for a while, and Vinestalker is a preorder bonus.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't wait until the Dowan skin unlocks at midnight

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I can't wait until the Dowan skin unlocks at midnight

Ban Duvessa.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Edmund spawns with a wand of polymorph on D5 and he's not afraid to use it.

Zaps me tree, I survive an ogre with a club I probably wouldn't have, thanks bro.
Zaps me fungus, I chain confuse him until death.

*drops wand of polymorph*

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
coming as a pull request as soon as i can work out how to make all their gimmicks work in code: like 4 different monster species concepts and 3 dwarfs the gently caress is wrong with me

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aquadwarf
Cyberdwarf
Brain dwarf

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
STRONG: bballs
WEAK: applebottoms

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reworks of mountain + deep dwarves and gnomes bicthes

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
calling gnomes a kind of dwarf is some racist poo poo i think

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It's actually dwarves that are a type of gnome.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually theyre not gnomes at all but theyre similar mechanically to the old species

also now they have mp wands 2

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gnomes are dwarves phenotypically, not racially

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do not add gnomes, but DO add gnelfs and gnoblins.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Add Omes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Race request: Three gnomes in a trenchcoat trying to sneak into an R rated dungeon.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Just started getting into this game, it's great!

I noticed that when I have the skill screen open I try to leave it on my training percentages, but sometimes when I open it it's set to 'cost' and I have to double '!' to go back to 'training' numbers. Any idea on what's causing this and how to stop it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an upcoming pull request:

mire hags: sludge elves, but theyre not elves anymore, theyre people who got goofed up by old magic and turned into cackling. witches. yes. (species name semi-placeholdery, feel free to give alternative suggestions for names. metoron has proposed fuath and vough as names from scottish folklore)

yetis: sneaky large species with wild magic 1 and more "civilized" weapon apts then their other large brethren. theyre bad at summoning and necromancy because i dont want them to have friends

carcinia: hey remember when i suggested that crab-themed mutant species with a shield/strong punch built into one limb yeah theyre here and kinda beefy. have regular feet now tho cause im lazy

dwarrow: hi folks its me, mountain dwarf, your dungeon delver and best friend (now with slight apt changes, dd/gnome style passive mapping but timed later, and a bunch of MR)

dverger: gnome, except the fluff is completely different now and theyre small dwarves from deep deep down who love to gently caress and also have both a strong evoc aptitude and mp wands 2. theyre halfling-sized but still kinda dwarfy

madhkur: the deep dwarf's equivalent to the swamp hag. very experimental, they're undead dwarves that have deterioration and risk statrot when they use their healing ability (theyre trying not to turn back into unliving worms). probably broken.

grey elves: adding these guys back in for to fill in the elf-shaped hole, theyre basically low elves that are phenomenally good and sneaking and favor elemental magic. no mutations or pseudomutations because i like the idea that all the elves are just humans w weird stats and apts (rip glamoour lmao)

im halfway tempted to add in goblins as a challenge species w like, human apts but diminished stats and small but im just wanting this to compile at this point tbh

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have discovered an interesting problem lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are there any fomorian custom races? large, randomly malmutated dudes who could have some bonuses to make up for e.g. a goat head, or no legs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
demonspawn are kinda sorta like that with body slot mutations

you could probably make a couple full mutation facets that are a bit more overtly a tradeoff like that

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Troll

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wizards have such a fun early game. You basically have to win every fight through dirty tricks.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl status update:

Initial batch of permabuffs are now in for testing (finally)! All castable versions of transmutation forms should now be permabuffs (cast once to reserve the MP and keep the form indefinitely, cast again while it is active to release the spell). If nobody notices anything too buggy, I'll start working on converting the other voted spells over to permabuffs as well. Current known bugs: You will get informed multiple times that you lost control of your spells if you untransform from a form that melds your body armor and your shield.

Currently, MP reserved is equal to the spell level of the permabuff without any modifiers AKA you only need to get it castable once and it can be maintained for the spell's level of MP until you change/equip body armor or shields or your max MP can no longer sustain the spell (will drop all permabuffs). If the MP reserved is too little or too low effort for heavy armor after people get their hands on it to mess around, there's a couple things I can insert:
  • Add a modifier to total MP reserved based on some combination of Armor skill/Spellcasting Skill/Encumbrance/Strength (similar to Hellcrawl, but I can't do it on a per-spell basis due to implementing it differently)
  • Change the reserve cost of a spell to be different from the spell level (ex Necromut is a Level 8 spell but could reserve 15 MP)
  • Similar to the one above, change the spells to reserve a percentage of max MP instead of a static value (similar to Path of Exile reserved spells)
  • Any other ideas anyone can think of, as well as any combination of the above+other ideas as well.

As an aside, I forgot to prevent Djinni from worshipping Trog because they are made of magic. Any preference on changing it vs keeping what it currently is anyways?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Trog does not judge the man based on his birth, only on his love of HITTING THEM VERY HARD.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
When do the wizard starter spells start dropping off in effectiveness?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

tweet my meat posted:

When do the wizard starter spells start dropping off in effectiveness?

Magic dart falls off pretty fast, and it’s best to have another plan for dealing with enemies by the time you have to face beefy early-mid game enemies like orc warriors or yaks. Conjure flame is great all the way through lair and late D, meph cloud can be really strong even in lair branches and retains some utility in vaults (shutting down convokers.) I usually stop casting summon imp by the beginning of lair, but you can probably squeeze decent use out of it through the end of D as a way to get meph cloud resistant distractions, especially if you don’t have any other summons and aren’t really spending your MP on better stuff.

The great thing about wizard is that you get your whole starting kit for a tiny bit of investment, which means you have a powerful set of utility skills through the early mid-game that can cover and support you while you develop into pretty much any character type you want. Low starting strength makes armor a problem and weapon damage a little awkward, but wizard is still a premier hybrid start.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 13, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Fast, dangerous enemies that are un-mephiticable like spiked frogs and mambas are usually the wizard's first and last lesson on when spells drop off.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Good to know.

I've never won a caster other than a skald so I really wanna knock this wizard run out. It really is an amazing toolkit early on.

What species do y'all generally like for wizard? I'ce been using kobold for a stabber caster hybrid which works pretty well, but I think taking a page from the skald handbook and using magic to augment polearm melee damage would be a bit more effective.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ogre if hybrid, Tengu for blaster caster. Note: this is my answer to every class

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

What species do y'all generally like for wizard?
Try out the new gooncrawl races!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Can I play gooncrawl with the desktop client?

E:nevermind it's in the op

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 13, 2018

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

What species do y'all generally like for wizard?

Deep Elf, purest of blaster casters. Pray for an early Vehu altar.

E: Speaking of blaster casters, can I petition for Gooncrawl to move Buddysphere back to lvl 4? That change is what made me drop conjurers.

E2: Speaking of buddysphere and having checked the wiki, can I petition for Gooncrawl to put Buddysphere back into the conjurations starting book?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 14, 2018

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
This game is coded in C++?! Aw hell
Don't give me a reason to take on a new hobby you guys D:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Deep Elf, purest of blaster casters. Pray for an early Vehu altar.

E: Speaking of blaster casters, can I petition for Gooncrawl to move Buddysphere back to lvl 4? That change is what made me drop conjurers.

E2: Speaking of buddysphere and having checked the wiki, can I petition for Gooncrawl to put Buddysphere back into the conjurations starting book?

Second edit is already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Fast, dangerous enemies that are un-mephiticable like spiked frogs and mambas are usually the wizard's first and last lesson on when spells drop off.

for un mephable reptiles I spam cast summon imp till I get a few ice imps then run around and drop a conjure flame if I still have mana. That usually kills them or lets you get away

But by then hopefully you have something else to kill them with like sticky flame or an ice spell or a branded weapon