Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

IUG posted:

Is there a good RSS feed for new bluray / UHD releases? Maybe a feed for each format?

Like for prices or? I just visit Blu-Ray.com w couple times a week for what’s new or upcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Like for prices or? I just visit Blu-Ray.com w couple times a week for what’s new or upcoming.

Nah, I used to just got to BestBuy and Target for sales, but they've sucked for years. I noticed I was only looking at the new releases basically. Then I saw BestBuy isn't even listing music anymore, and figured there had to be something better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I still like Best Buy because they regularly put out steelbooks for blu ray releases. Some of them end up looking like poo poo of course, but plenty of them look really good. Atomic Blonde, Bad Boys, The Last Jedi, It, and Rampage all got pretty nice looking ones that for me were worth going to Best Buy for.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This thread broke me and now I've got Indicator's Night of the Demon on the way, sight unseen (Because of the Blade Runner-ian amount of cuts). I'm excited!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber confirmed they were able to license 130 films from StudioCanal. This is gigantic news because other than a few films with dual ownership or special exceptions (like the Avco Embassy library or the Jacques Tati films), they've been at the mercy of Lionsgate in North America. In over a decade of having US rights to the library, they've released only about a dozen titles from a library of almost 10,000 films. Most notably Lionsgate forced Criterion to take dozens of films out of print due to insisting on exclusive rights - only for them to not even release their own editions of the majority of the films.

Also, Kino confirmed that "two other labels" made smaller deals for foreign and horror titles, which has to mean Criterion and Shout/Scream Factory.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber confirmed they were able to license 130 films from StudioCanal. This is gigantic news because other than a few films with dual ownership or special exceptions (like the Avco Embassy library or the Jacques Tati films), they've been at the mercy of Lionsgate in North America. In over a decade of having US rights to the library, they've released only about a dozen titles from a library of almost 10,000 films. Most notably Lionsgate forced Criterion to take dozens of films out of print due to insisting on exclusive rights - only for them to not even release their own editions of the majority of the films.

Also, Kino confirmed that "two other labels" made smaller deals for foreign and horror titles, which has to mean Criterion and Shout/Scream Factory.

Neat. Do we know what the 130 films are?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spatulater bro! posted:

130 slightly different versions of ‘The Terminator’.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm hoping Martin is in there but I'm not holding my breath.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

They've only announced one so far, Rider on the Rain.

I'm going to guess Scream Factory got the Hammer films and Criterion probably got most, if not all of the titles they had released on DVD (like The Tales of Hoffmann, The Third Man, Contempt, Ran, etc).

CPL593H posted:

I'm hoping Martin is in there but I'm not holding my breath.

It's owned independently - same producer also owns Dawn of the Dead '78. A German label released a Blu-ray of Dawn from the 4K restoration.

If you take away the stuff Criterion likely got, Kino probably got a lot of British films from the 30s through the 70s. For example, Criterion probably got The Small Back Room and The Tales of Hoffmann back, but Kino could have the lesser 50s P&P films like Oh Rosalinda and Ill Met by Moonlight (they did manage to get The Wild Heart/Gone to Earth by working with both iTV and Disney).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 14, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What Hammer films are owned by Canal?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

What Hammer films are owned by Canal?

They technically own nearly the entire Hammer library as far as the UK and Europe are concerned, but the US rights are all over the place. Universal released a set with all eight they have US rights to, WB has released a few, and some of the Sony and MGM titles were licensed out.

Anchor Bay released a bunch years ago that had lapsed US rights, so they were able to license from StudioCanal directly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ugh I just want a US blu of Curse of Frankenstein dammit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

It's owned independently - same producer also owns Dawn of the Dead '78.

I howled in despair at reading this. This is the fucker that wants some ridiculous amount for any Dawn release so he can recoup the cost of the hideously expensive 3d conversion he made that nobody wanted, right?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Someone on blu-ray.com posted screenshots of the Blue Underground 4K restoration of Fulci's Zombie, and it looks fantastic. I just put in my preorder. Looks like an awesome release, and there are three covers to choose from: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306721

The screenshots are on page 16 of that thread.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

the hideously expensive 3d conversion he made that nobody wanted

if I'm remembering correctly, this isn't quite an accurate summation of what happened. iirc Anchor Bay commissioned it for a theatrical release, and then hosed him on actually releasing it or paying him for it, because by the time it was done the 3D fad had basically died (I remember they were planning a similar thing for Battle Royale that also fell through, though in that case the conversion was never actually made). this left him way in the hole financially, hence the current Dawn rights situation.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if I'm remembering correctly, this isn't quite an accurate summation of what happened. iirc Anchor Bay commissioned it for a theatrical release, and then hosed him on actually releasing it or paying him for it, because by the time it was done the 3D fad had basically died (I remember they were planning a similar thing for Battle Royale that also fell through, though in that case the conversion was never actually made). this left him way in the hole financially, hence the current Dawn rights situation.

I've heard it was the other way around, with Rubenstein being the prime mover for the conversion. I find it hard to believe that a seasoned producer like him would use his own cash to convert a film solely at the behest of another company without a written agreement for compensation.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley just announced their next release: Melies Fairy Tales in Color - a collection of 13 restored hand-colored Georges Melies films
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24214

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Flicker Alley just announced their next release: Melies Fairy Tales in Color - a collection of 13 restored hand-colored Georges Melies films

Well poo poo, I'm buying that. I've seen most of those but I imagine the restorations will be incredible.

Nice avatar btw.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

$27 direct from FA as a preorder too, which is a steal. Might finally pick up Man With A Movie Camera too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

$27 direct from FA as a preorder too, which is a steal. Might finally pick up Man With A Movie Camera too.

Man with a Movie Camera is a clone of Lobster Films' French disc that has some very poor encoding. They crammed all 5 hours of content onto a single BD-50 and has a lot of macroblocking. I opted for the Masters of Cinema edition, which adds an interview and a considerable booklet (which is unfortunately OOP and replaced with a smaller booklet on current editions).

Most of Flicker Alley's releases are top-notch. At least since 2016, they've been hiring Fidelity in Motion for encoding and authoring. They do all of the UK Indicator, Arrow, and MoC discs. Also, Flicker Alley has amazing customer service - I always get my discs ahead of time when it's a pre-order and they do everything at max. quality. Even use Criterion cases for the Blu-rays.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Someone on blu-ray.com posted screenshots of the Blue Underground 4K restoration of Fulci's Zombie, and it looks fantastic. I just put in my preorder. Looks like an awesome release, and there are three covers to choose from: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306721

The screenshots are on page 16 of that thread.

An instant preorder for me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So the big stopping block in getting a Blu-ray release of the unaltered Star Wars original trilogy was Fox having some piece of the rights to ‘A New Hope’ or something, right?

Now that Disney owns both Star Wars and Fox, does that mean the odds of us getting quality home releases of the Star Wars movies are better? Or is it still a pipe dream?

Like, my ideal release for the original trilogy would be like a 9-disc set, with three versions of each movie (original release, enhanced THX release, and special edition) and then a totally loving insane amount of supplementals. Like, Star Wars should be the easiest series in history to provide bonus materials and making-of stuff because it’s so well documented and preserved, and it baffles me that my copy of ‘Species’ has more extensive special features than loving Star Wars.

poo poo, I’d drop $100+ without hesitation on an exhaustive release of the original trilogy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

So the big stopping block in getting a Blu-ray release of the unaltered Star Wars original trilogy was Fox having some piece of the rights to ‘A New Hope’ or something, right?

Now that Disney owns both Star Wars and Fox, does that mean the odds of us getting quality home releases of the Star Wars movies are better? Or is it still a pipe dream?

Like, my ideal release for the original trilogy would be like a 9-disc set, with three versions of each movie (original release, enhanced THX release, and special edition) and then a totally loving insane amount of supplementals. Like, Star Wars should be the easiest series in history to provide bonus materials and making-of stuff because it’s so well documented and preserved, and it baffles me that my copy of ‘Species’ has more extensive special features than loving Star Wars.

poo poo, I’d drop $100+ without hesitation on an exhaustive release of the original trilogy.

Most people would. A OT box set like that would be like Disney owning the US mint in how much money it would print.

There are some other issues with "Original Release," Lucas never stopped loving with the damned movies, but most changes were a lot more subtle before the special edition releases in the 90's.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Don't get me wrong, I too would drop $100+ easy on a 4k version of Star Wars Classic, but I"m not going to hold my breath..

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a horrible pipe dream because Lucas is a gently caress.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

When the deal closes and Fox has been digested, the only sticking point is how Disney wants to structure the extraction of money from wallets.

That said, Turner still has the TV rights to 4-6; Disney would have to find something to trade them before they own EVERYTHING but the home video stuff will all be under one roof.

Iron Crowned posted:

There are some other issues with "Original Release," Lucas never stopped loving with the damned movies, but most changes were a lot more subtle before the special edition releases in the 90's.

There are reference technicolor prints available, and Disney certainly would drop 10 million bucks to have a restoration team gin up the missing elements for a '77 cut.

If fans can do a passable restoration, Disney certainly can. The question is if they wait for a 9-episode box set and make it exclusive to that, make it streaming-only on Disney+, or do any other consumer-hostile junk like the Disney Vault.

xarph fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 14, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Turner doesn’t own the original OT tv rights though. That could be Disney’s leg up.

If they do make a OOT set, then all of this would be worth it and I can leave the SW fandom behind to eat itself.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a horrible pipe dream because Lucas is a gently caress.

I thought I read somewhere that part of his deal w Disney was to disallow the pre-SE trilogy from being released ever. I also would buy a 4K OT in a heartbeat, it’s maddening that it probably won’t happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Get yourself the Star Wars Silver Screen edition which keeps all the 70s color timings and poo poo. Looks great.

Image is a little soft sometimes but it's a small price to pay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I won’t stop being frustrated with Lucas until the OT Blu Ray is in my hands.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

xarph posted:

There are reference technicolor prints available, and Disney certainly would drop 10 million bucks to have a restoration team gin up the missing elements for a '77 cut.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely down for a full restoration of the actual first theatrical release of Star Wars, but, I'm also convinced that that's not the "original version" most people are familiar with. What constitutes the "Original Star Wars," will be different from person to person, should it be the May 1977 version over the 1981, or the 1989, or the 1993 etc.?

I honestly think at this point we all have a different "Original Version" so all of them will be wrong, and turbo nerds will make sure that it's well known.

xarph posted:

If fans can do a passable restoration, Disney certainly can. The question is if they wait for a 9-episode box set and make it exclusive to that, make it streaming-only on Disney+, or do any other consumer-hostile junk like the Disney Vault.

With what, 20 years of people clamoring for a good version of the original, that would certainly create a much more toxic environment for Disney than would be worth.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people would. A OT box set like that would be like Disney owning the US mint in how much money it would print.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Don't get me wrong, I too would drop $100+ easy on a 4k version of Star Wars Classic, but I"m not going to hold my breath..

I think the only people who really care about this, especially enough to pay a premium for it, are nerds. The general public doesn't give a poo poo about which version of Star Wars they're watching and people in their 20s at this point have only ever seen the CGI Jabbas cuts.

xarph posted:

When the deal closes and Fox has been digested, the only sticking point is how Disney wants to structure the extraction of money from wallets.

That said, Turner still has the TV rights to 4-6; Disney would have to find something to trade them before they own EVERYTHING but the home video stuff will all be under one roof.

If by some miracle they finally put out the original versions of the movies I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope you can just buy them individually instead of bundling them with all the other movies. Still, I'm not holding my breath.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate the “but which one is the ORIGINAL HMM?” Argument because I would wager 99.9% of people just don’t give a poo poo about the tiny differences so long as no one was to ever hear Jedi Rocks again.

Pick any version before 1997 and use that. Don’t give a poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I think the only people who really care about this, especially enough to pay a premium for it, are nerds. The general public doesn't give a poo poo about which version of Star Wars they're watching and people in their 20s at this point have only ever seen the CGI Jabbas cuts.

And that just makes me sad. But also nerds are the people who buy all the Star Wars, the casuals aren't really going to care if it's got a CGI Jabba, and those people will happily buy the DVD because it's got Yoda on the front.

CPL593H posted:

If by some miracle they finally put out the original versions of the movies I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope you can just buy them individually instead of bundling them with all the other movies. Still, I'm not holding my breath.

:same:

CelticPredator posted:

I hate the “but which one is the ORIGINAL HMM?” Argument because I would wager 99.9% of people just don’t give a poo poo about the tiny differences so long as no one was to ever hear Jedi Rocks again.

Pick any version before 1997 and use that. Don’t give a poo poo.

I mean that's really how I feel too, but if you are going to do something as monumental as restoring something as beloved as Star Wars, it's definitely a big factor in how you go about doing it.

Alternatively just do all of the versions, put out a big fuckall box for each of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Alternatively just do all of the versions, put out a big fuckall box for each of them.

Why would you want this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If that’s the way it has to be then so be it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Why would you want this?

I kinda wouldn't want 50 versions, but I wouldn't mind one that had say the original '77 and '89 versions, because it would be interesting enough to me.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
They should do a seamlessly branching collection with all the cuts so that people can watch them all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

xarph posted:

like the Disney Vault.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Take home the original, unaltered trilogy in stunning 4k! Get it before it goes back in the Lucas Vault!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

If that’s the way it has to be then so be it.

Yeah but then it's basically "Pay 200 dollars for a bunch of useless poo poo so you can get three movies you actually want." and that's a deal breaker for me.

trdn89 posted:

They should do a seamlessly branching collection with all the cuts so that people can watch them all.

That would make the most sense but this is Disney so in this hypothetical event they're going to try and squeeze as much money of of this as they can, so I'm sure it would be an ultra mega deluxe 30 disc limited edition box set. Still I don't know why people who've been complaining since Bush was in office about not having the old versions of the movies would even want to watch the CGI Jabbas one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

trdn89 posted:

The added disney-bonus to this approach is it would drive the makemkv users crazy.