Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if the queen of gran columbia wasn't fueled with spooky bruja powers I'd have been a little disappointed in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Well holy poo poo. That was one hell of a ride. And that ending basically seals this show as Star Trek But With Boats.

I'm gonna miss this dumb show now :patriot:. Real glad I took a chance on watching it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

power crystals posted:

Well holy poo poo. That was one hell of a ride. And that ending basically seals this show as Star Trek But With Boats.

I'm gonna miss this dumb show now . Real glad I took a chance on watching it.

:patriot: TEX

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Not empty quoting

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Spent that entire part of the episode going "I wonder if they'll...". They did. It was excellent.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shout out to Wolf though, he broke every rib that guy had.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

after taking maybe three or four gunshots to the chest

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jfood posted:

after taking maybe three or four gunshots to the chest

And the knife.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the only thing that could kill him was finally having enough episodes for a decent syndication run.

live forever, wolfman, swarthy and hirsute.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jfood posted:

the only thing that could kill him was finally having enough episodes for a decent syndication run.

live forever, wolfman, swarthy and hirsute.

Oh Wolf lives. Official word on his Insta.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now that's how you do a series finale.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
And then he punched a man to death.

What a good series.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Great ending. Tom Chandler didn't even bother to meet Tavo. Wolf got a great moment. Ship went down in a blaze of glory. Battleship was entirely unexplained. No drawn out epilogue. I enjoyed it and overall what a great show!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
You knew they were probably going to sink the James but god drat that hit home. I realized that I cared more about the James than I ever have about any ship named Enterprise.

This episode was pretty perfect, they knew exactly what the audience wanted and delivered. Navy ship battle action, fun little firefight scenes with a dude getting run over by a slow moving tank, Tavo getting no respect, and most important Wolf kicking dudes rear end with his sweet 90s style karate moves.

edit: Cool interview with the showrunner. TL:DR, the d-day battle came as a result of the Marines wanting to also be in the show and the landing stuff was from a live training exercise they did.
Also confirms that Wolf lives.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 13, 2018

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Good for Wolf. But what about Brawler ?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
“Here I’m going to break the guy’s trachea. Here, I’m going to punch his rib cage into his heart….”

I'm gonna miss this show so much.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I like that they specifically mention that they wanted to show a “real” conflict and not S1’s all big hero stuff. The way the show transformed over time was real cool. I also agree that it feels like it ended in a good place. And that poo poo about Bren/Wolf, Jesus.

Still no explanation of that Iowa though so until they say otherwise I’m going to assume that Chandler’s hatred of his own heroics spontaneously conjured the greatest foil to him possible out of nothing, which is why only he could tell it was there until it got into visual range. The Iowa was never Cuban, or Columbian, it was Chandlerian.

Thinking about it that does make his actions at the end even more appropriately symbolic. I wonder if that’s actually what they had in mind and just didn’t want to say out loud because it would be rather out of place.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the fact that a World War II battleship showed up fully armed and operational without anyone commenting on it, the fact that it kept appearing and disappearing out of nowhere, the fact that Gran Columbia seemed to take the time to lift it and refit it without repainting it with their elaborate marking scheme, the fact that it kept on fighting even after the surrender, and the fact that the one time it was directly acknowledged by someone else was Slattery calling it Chandler's monster when he saw it makes me think it was actually supernatural. And I'm willing to accept that in this dumb show because a ghostly battleship being the only thing that could take down the Nathan James is the best way this show could have ended.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So what actually happened with Rhona Mitra?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

summoning an Iowa is only a 3rd level bruja spell, the queen did it.

Octy posted:

So what actually happened with Rhona Mitra?

death by a fatal cut to the budget.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's been pretty clear about never wanting to go back to the show, but no-one's saying anything about the circumstances under which she left. I get the feeling there's a story, though I also get the feeling Mitra was unhappy with the direction her character went in.

Hey, so, by the way, I basically binged the entire five seasons of this show over the last few weeks, just in time to watch the finale when it came out. (Sort of a self-imposed challenge.) It was fun, though it was touch and go for a while mid season five. Something about Tavo(! Tavo!!) made me want to throw things at a wall, though I liked the pay off with to his character being so hands off all season. Also, that episode where it cuts between Chandler fighting with his daughter and his guys fighting in a basement was rough. Also hilarious? But mostly not good. And I was getting worried that the show would kill every single black character. And Miller's legs.

Best overall Season was 3, but the best finale was the first season with Lt. Granderson's mother. Best character Wolf (duh), though I liked Dr. Scott, Tex, and Sasha when they remembered to give her things to do (i.e. Season 3). Low-key had a thing for Emerson Brooks the entire time so I was always happy when Meylan got to do stuff too. Even didn't mind Adam Baldwin (who's always been a good actor and continued to be one here) but I found it pretty funny that every single woman he made eyes at almost immediately died.

In retrospect, everyone got one, maybe two seasons in the limelight, and otherwise stayed as background characters / cannon fodder. Not how it'd have done it, but it works.

Worst was Green, and I swear most of the time the show just tried to forget he existed.

Least favourite part of the show was basically everything about traitor lady in Season 5. Just no.

Favourite part was chanting "vampire vampire vampire" every time a missile was launched at someone. (I have no idea about military poo poo. It's just fun to say.)

Or Wolf stabbing people. That was pretty good too.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, that episode where it cuts between Chandler fighting with his daughter and his guys fighting in a basement was rough. Also hilarious? But mostly not good.

That was some seriously Kurt Sutter style directing. I was half expecting someone to get drowned in a bathtub full of piss.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flatscan posted:

That was some seriously Kurt Sutter style directing. I was half expecting someone to get drowned in a bathtub full of piss.

That was Robocop directing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

That was Robocop directing.

He's directed the show before though, pretty regularly starting back in Season Two, and there was nothing like that. It's entirely possible that it was a choice that he pushed for, but holy hell whoever made that decision hosed up.

(The sequence is directed pretty badly generally, but there's this one shot where Sasha's pulling a wonderful WTF face that's spliced into the middle and it deeply amuses me.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's directed the show before though, pretty regularly starting back in Season Two, and there was nothing like that. It's entirely possible that it was a choice that he pushed for, but holy hell whoever made that decision hosed up.

(The sequence is directed pretty badly generally, but there's this one shot where Sasha's pulling a wonderful WTF face that's spliced into the middle and it deeply amuses me.)

It was the best scene the show has ever done and you should be thankful.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They seemed to do a lot of experimental directing in the last season. I think the best part where they got creative was the rapid pan-cuts between the mock-up of the command center and the stuff going on at the real one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Season 5: Great finale, best season of the whole series.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The beach landing was so good. The ship v ship combat was fantastic. Watching torpedoes launch never gets old. Really going to miss this show.
RIP to my favourite character Stinger, the grimacing helicopter gunner.

I thought the oddness of that father/daughter sequence set up Chandler's bizarre near-death hallucinations in this final episode.

This mistake with shooting Wolf is that only makes him fight harder.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rocksicles posted:

It was the best scene theany show has ever done and you should be thankful.

:colbert:

Whatever the opposite of high art is (low art?) that scene was that. But maybe I just love absurdism a little too much.

Also Vampire is the brevity code for unknown/hostile anti-ship missile

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Binary Logic posted:

This mistake with shooting Wolf is that only makes him fight harder.

Given what he did to that last guy, I'd say stabbing him is worse.

I never popped for the torpedo launches but those beautiful missile launches...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Binary Logic posted:

RIP to my favourite character Stinger, the grimacing helicopter gunner.

My thought just before she got zipped was that there's no one in the show who is into her job as much as she was. loving RIP

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

PaybackJack posted:

You knew they were probably going to sink the James but god drat that hit home. I realized that I cared more about the James than I ever have about any ship named Enterprise.

This episode was pretty perfect, they knew exactly what the audience wanted and delivered. Navy ship battle action, fun little firefight scenes with a dude getting run over by a slow moving tank, Tavo getting no respect, and most important Wolf kicking dudes rear end with his sweet 90s style karate moves.

edit: Cool interview with the showrunner. TL:DR, the d-day battle came as a result of the Marines wanting to also be in the show and the landing stuff was from a live training exercise they did.
Also confirms that Wolf lives.

The evacuation of Nathan James looked like a drill, including the people jumping directly into the water. And this structure looked like it was set up for room-clearing training - walls with no roof, no doors, no windows.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Great send off to a fun show.

Also Tex showed up! Made it all worth it

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Tex should have been back in ghost form all season.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Tex should have been back in ghost form all season.

Tex was the ghost battleship.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

tex betraying 'murica?

silly burrito, you are a treasonous whore.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna miss this show.
Not nearly as good without sound effects. Is there a better way to make gifs than giphy?

Catch you on the flip side, Wolf.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
So I've been binge watching this show and I love it so loving much. It's kind of corny but not so much that it's annoying and as far as post-apocalypse shows go the writing is pretty good.

Sad no one had mentioned my favorite thing that happens every episode, namely, either Chandler, the Chief, or some other wise leader figure gives someone in crisis advice and then it's left hanging till the end of the episode when they show the guy, having followed said advice and resolved their crisis, sharing a knowing, appreciative nod with the authority figure.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jokers Gamble posted:

So I've been binge watching this show and I love it so loving much. It's kind of corny but not so much that it's annoying and as far as post-apocalypse shows go the writing is pretty good.

Sad no one had mentioned my favorite thing that happens every episode, namely, either Chandler, the Chief, or some other wise leader figure gives someone in crisis advice and then it's left hanging till the end of the episode when they show the guy, having followed said advice and resolved their crisis, sharing a knowing, appreciative nod with the authority figure.

Someone should do a supercut of all the nods in this show.

It's be pretty epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

My favorite nod was the abandon ship nod from Slattery and Chandler to Green at the end. I guess it was kind of sexist that she'd look to male authority instead of just make the call herself but I like that she got their approval as the former captains; it was a nice touch.

• Locked thread