Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Finally, after over 20 long years of waiting, a live-action Pokemon movie has arrived, but it's not what you'd expect.

Detective Pikachu is the story of a young man reluctantly following in the footsteps of his great detective father. It is also the story of a Pikachu who sounds exactly like Deadpool who happens to have a brilliant analytical mind. It is also the story of a group of filmmakers who are making the first live-action movie based on a Nintendo property in over 25 years because the last one turned their most well-known universe into a weird dystopia filled with grungy atmosphere and strange creatures. Naturally, they are turning Nintendo's second-most well-known universe into a weird dystopia filled with grungy atmosphere and strange creatures. If At First You Do Not Succeed...

This is the star of the show, Pikachu, with a voice provided by the inimitable Ryan Reynolds. Look at how fuzzy he is.

Look at it.

LOOK AT IT!

This is his partner, Justice Smith.

wait. this can't be.

it's too late he's taken over save yurrr sulllllll--

(come see detective pikachu the mime commands you all hail the mime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Pokemon series has always been a bit unusual in how it shows fantastic creatures and an otherwise recognisable contemporary society coexisting completely integrated for the most part. The trailer and poster captures that well in its slightly jarring glory.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I like that they are actually making this take place in the Pokemon world and not some kind of "Pokemon are suddenly real in our world" plot. And I unironically love the pokemon designs abd how they stick to the original instead of trying to reinvent them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Surprised that the Nintendo logo isn't anywhere on that poster, but is a reminder that Pokemon is technically a second party franchise. Otherwise I'd say Nintendo keeps film adaptations on a short leash after the debacle that was the Super Mario Bros movie.

Though it's probably not far off in that The Pokemon Company or whoever keeps a tight grip on the franchise and always has. (I vaguely recall reading that NoA or someone thought Pokemon wouldn't sell in America with the cute designs and wanted to turn them into monstrous wrestlers or something. Funny in retrospect) I remember hearing Wreck-It-Ralph had a tricky time being made because of how strict the various IP owners (especially Nintendo) were with designs, models and animations, and considering how dodgy unsupervised foreign adaptations can get it's hard to blame them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Was the super mario bros movie that bad? I haven’t seen it in ages but remember liking it as a kid - but then I also liked 1998 godzilla so i’m def not the norm when it comes to movies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So Ryan Reynolds fate is to just become Seth McFarlane 2.0 now? Slap the same kinda generic character/voice onto whatever and just call it a day?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

So Ryan Reynolds fate is to just become Seth McFarlane 2.0 now? Slap the same kinda generic character/voice onto whatever and just call it a day?

I’m very disappointed he doesn’t seem to have any comedic range beyond “safe for work Deadpool,” yeah.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Was the super mario bros movie that bad? I haven’t seen it in ages but remember liking it as a kid - but then I also liked 1998 godzilla so i’m def not the norm when it comes to movies.
Super mario bros is good

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Hoping that the home release comes with an extra audio track that just dubs over all of his dialog with “pika pika."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Mr. Mime fashioned his own clown outfit out of dodgeballs and hideous fabrics. 5 stars.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mr. Mime fashioned his own clown outfit out of dodgeballs and hideous fabrics. 5 stars.

that's his skin dude

edit: which is more horrifying so nevermind i said anything

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SleepCousinDeath posted:

that's his skin dude

edit: which is more horrifying so nevermind i said anything

Dodgeball shoulderpads, and dual blue hair-condoms.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'm more concerned about the tiny hairs on his head. Can Mr. Mime grow normal hair?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The real question is, will Jynx be in the movie?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To what degree is Mister Mime a person?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mr. Mime became Psychic/Fairy type when gen 6 came out, so we know that he's not from this world and he's above human intelligence. Ghost types are the ones that (often explicitly) used to be people.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
what the gently caress

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mr Mime is just a horrible little man

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

what the gently caress

Yamask's Pokedex entry posted:

These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.
Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm more hype for this movie than I probably should be considering I didn't even know it was a thing until the trailer dropped yesterday. If they were going to make a Pokemon movie no matter what, I think they were smart to take a buddy cop concept and slap a Pokemon paint job over it, rather than just making a live-action version of the anime or whatever.

Also let me be the first person ITT to say that it should be Danny DeVito voicing Pikachu, but I'm down with Ryan Reynolds as well.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is the Bright formula attached to Pokemon, except it might actually work this time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What if Machoke is just some hosed up guy that people capture and force to fight?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's important to keep in mind that most Pokedex entries don't make a lot of sense with how the Pokemon function in-game and are basically hastily banged out flavour text for the most part.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

Also let me be the first person ITT to say that it should be Danny DeVito voicing Pikachu, but I'm down with Ryan Reynolds as well.

While it might work better I assume Reynolds was chosen because his voice was 'cute'. Or to put it another way, we were never going to get a gruff, hard boiled pikachu.

When they announced it I thought it was the stupidest way they could make a live action pokemon movie - now i'm looking forward to it more than any of the other nerd stuff that's coming out next year, possibly combined. They might have made a good video game movie

I liked Super Mario Bros and the Warcraft movie

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's important to keep in mind that most Pokedex entries don't make a lot of sense with how the Pokemon function in-game and are basically hastily banged out flavour text for the most part.

I've always liked the idea that pokedex entries are written by the children working for the regional professors. It explains why they're different from game to game, why they make no sense and why they vary in tone from so cool to horrifying to ridiculous.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

cptn_dr posted:

Mr Mime is just a horrible little man

Tbf there are enough of these that 'just a horrible little man' should be the next new type. weak to fire super effective against my imagination of how they'll be rendered in this film

Honestly Mr. Mime is a pretty great choice to feature in the trailer to communicate exactly what the design direction is going to be for rendering the pokemon and get people over the hump of accepting it.

So what pokemon does everyone most want to see translated? My vote goes would be for everyone's favorite 8-ft long bug centaur Scolipede:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think I said this in another thread somewhere but if I see a live-action Marrill I will melt into a puddle of happy nostalgia.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Murkrow is my favorite Pokémon and I would be curious to see how they’d render his cute little feather top hat.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MrFlibble posted:

I've always liked the idea that pokedex entries are written by the children working for the regional professors. It explains why they're different from game to game, why they make no sense and why they vary in tone from so cool to horrifying to ridiculous.
i dunno i love the idea that pokedex entries are mostly factual mixed in with bits of folklore. Pokemon are supposed to be magical creatures taking away too much of the nonsense robs them of that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm getting a bit of a Jim Henson vibe from this for reasons I can't quite put my finger on (beyond the Pokemon themselves being realistic and fuzzy), and I really dig it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

HookedOnChthonics posted:

So what pokemon does everyone most want to see translated?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Real talk I showed my wife the trailer and one of the first things she asked was if this was just going to be Ted with Pokémon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sethsez posted:

I'm getting a bit of a Jim Henson vibe from this for reasons I can't quite put my finger on (beyond the Pokemon themselves being realistic and fuzzy), and I really dig it.

My first thought on seeing it was "Oh hey Labyrinth for the kids who are 6 or 7 now" so you're not alone. That mix of cute and kind of puppet like (I know it's largely CGI but a lot of the Pokemon look like practical effects) with "yeah this is def gonna give some kids nightmares" is very Henson.

Probably gonna do better than Labyrinth though.

So what pokemon does everyone most want to see translated? My vote goes would be for everyone's favorite 8-ft long bug centaur Scolipede:

I'd really like to see Mareanie or Koffing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know Obama just renounced Pokemon, but I hope he can patch things up with his friend Geodude in time for a cameo in this.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I really want to see my faves (Shedinja, Yveltal,Shaymin) and also all of the cats

Litten or riot

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Please change the title to "Detective Pikachu: Yo fuckin' Snorlax owns in this movie"

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Any idea if Team Rocket will be making an appearance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJDyRZ0c7yQ

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've said this two or three times but... Never liked Pokemon, but this trailer really, really felt like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" to me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wish it was more like Cool World.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mantis42 posted:

Please change the title to "Detective Pikachu: Yo fuckin' Snorlax owns in this movie"

Oh wow, I haven’t heard that referenced in soooooooo long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I thought Pikachu was some kind of lizard so it's weird to me that it has fur.