Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Does anyone have experience ordering from aliexpress, regarding delivery times to Europe and more importantly authenticity of the product? I’m tempted by the 8bitdo SF30 and it’s a bit cheaper on there, and also it looks like the official model has changed slightly to resemble the SNES controller less. Plenty of sellers on aliexpress still have the better looking originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

.TakaM posted:

They just added 3 more NES games, Metroid, Mighty Bombjack and Twin Bee. They also added a Special version of Gradius too

You know, I thought the "SP" Zelda 1 was pretty neat, but it's also a game where they could farm for all that poo poo and you'd still feel like you start at the beginning. Would be better if they'd offer actual romhack instead of a savestate, with intro and all, but whatever, it was cute. Starting at level 5 of Gradius with all the powerups seems way stupider. At that point I could just watch a longplay on Youtube and I'd get more information about the game. I really hope they'll get their poo poo together, since I like those presents in theory, but the execution has been questionable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I want to play the fantasy action soccer game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SntAsUl5M

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

The Kins posted:

Preservation/dumping people of note seem to be reasonably sure that the ROMs used by Virtual Console et. al. are Nintendo's own dumps. The NES ROMs do use a emulator-centric header format (iNES)... however, this is also present in stuff that had never been publicly released/dumped before its VC release (like the enhanced Mother 1 JP). In addition, one of the people responsible for that header format was apparently hired by Nintendo long ago, so why reinvent the wheel?

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1045348387174977536

Now this is an interesting detail. The pirates argument of NES ROMs with headers being "derivative work" and thus marking Nintendo as hypocrites for using them did feel a bit off anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh awesome. I heard a lot about Journey but never got the chance to play it.

It is not as good as Journey and the whole game is basically 3 hours long. Its the perfect title for Gamepass but unless theyre charging 5-10 bucks youre getting robbed.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm not embarrassed. :colbert: I don't know anybody who solo'd them first time who didn't resort to some kind of bizarre cheese to win

Sup!

I'm glad you figured out how best for you to take those two jerks. Now you can continue playing the most fun video game. :D

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Barudak posted:

It is not as good as Journey and the whole game is basically 3 hours long. Its the perfect title for Gamepass but unless theyre charging 5-10 bucks youre getting robbed.

That upcoming game, Gris, gives me a very Journey vibe. I'm looking forward to it; hopefully it'll be decent length.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

And yet when they officially released NES games, they got them from ROM sites.

no they didn’t, actually

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Looks nice. But what do you do in it? Also I love the idea of a person with flippers somehow swimming faster than fish and whales.

Is it free? Then sure.

Oh that's good. I really suck at Gradius and I have no patience to save-scum my way to victory. Good be chill to just blast poo poo away all powered up.

Warframe is free to play. The monetization aspect is fair from what I understand of it

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Warframe is pretty good about not being obnoxious for a free to play game. You can earn all of the frames and weapons through play and the cash shop is mostly there for impatient people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Finally a mahjong game on the Switch!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

This is what, the fourth Switch titty mahjong game?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://twitter.com/LeakyPandy/status/1062378652678152193

IDK if this guy's trustworthy or not, but gently caress yeah, this totally means The Wonderful 101 is coming to the Switch next year.

extremely vague leaker who I assume is full of poo poo but will get credit for this blatantly obvious "leak." I'd bet money on Kamiya going full bore with Nintendo after the Scalebound project sunk, because why not, he has a great relationship with the people at Nintendo. And they've been teasing things like a Wonderful 101 port/sequel for a while, too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Weedle posted:

That's actually a non-mahjong titty game that comes with a non-titty mahjong set.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Weedle posted:

Fate/Extella Link is a Warriors-style brawler.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

extremely vague leaker who I assume is full of poo poo but will get credit for this blatantly obvious "leak." I'd bet money on Kamiya going full bore with Nintendo after the Scalebound project sunk, because why not, he has a great relationship with the people at Nintendo. And they've been teasing things like a Wonderful 101 port/sequel for a while, too.

Kamiya's been teasing something Wonderful 101-related for a long while now.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Weedle posted:

Fate Extella is just a regular Musou-like game. That's a physical mahjong set for the special edition.

e:fb and all that

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Does anyone have experience ordering from aliexpress, regarding delivery times to Europe and more importantly authenticity of the product? I’m tempted by the 8bitdo SF30 and it’s a bit cheaper on there, and also it looks like the official model has changed slightly to resemble the SNES controller less. Plenty of sellers on aliexpress still have the better looking originals.

I bought one from EB games for myself and later, another from Aliexpress for my girlfriend. If one wasn't SNES style and the other SFC style I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. As for shipping to Europe, I have no idea.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Is it real mahjong or that dumb solitaire mahjong?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that would be a reasonably cool bonus, if it had any Servants on it that i particularly cared about

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, nice. Ultimate Chicken Horse is seriously one of the best party games I've ever played.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

It depends on where you are in the EU whether it's a good idea.

Here in Denmark, anything coming from outside the EU gets hit with a 160 DKK import fee (about $24), and then 25% VAT on top of that for however much the person who is looking through your package magically determines the value of the item to be (they give zero shits about the declared value on the form), including shipping and the 160 DKK import fee they just charged you. This is after your package sitting around for three weeks in some warehouse for them to get around to it in the first place. And they don't deliver to your address; you have to pay your fees at the post office in person when you want to pick up your package. There is no getting around it with anything cutesy like marking your package as a cheap gift - they will gently caress you, anyway, and then rely on the byzantine complaint process to weed out anybody who would dare question them.

But I've heard from people in other EU countries that they regularly import things from the U.S. or China, and have never had to pay anything additional.

Whenever possible, I just use German or UK amazon. No import fees for packages being sent within the EU (though you need to be careful, and look at who is actually shipping the items to you on amazon, since it's possible an item will actually be shipped from outside the EU, even though it's on a European version of amazon).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycfDgg4acY

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I seriously doubt Nintendo archives things themselves to anything approaching the level of detail the preservation groups do. Within a given region there are sometimes 3-4 different revisions of a game, plus you need to get dumps from multiple carts and compare checksums to really be sure it's good. Not to mention stuff like pre-release beta builds and games that never came out at all.
This may technically be true, but Nintendo does archive final/QAed releases. They released the final version of Star Fox 2 after the last-known working EPROM of it (which was acquired from Nintendo in the early 00s) bit-rotted on Dylan Cuthbert's bookshelf.

The Kins posted:

Preservation/dumping people of note seem to be reasonably sure that the ROMs used by Virtual Console et. al. are Nintendo's own dumps. The NES ROMs do use a emulator-centric header format (iNES)... however, this is also present in stuff that had never been publicly released/dumped before its VC release (like the enhanced Mother 1 JP). In addition, one of the people responsible for that header format was apparently hired by Nintendo long ago, so why reinvent the wheel?
This. So Frank's statement in his GDC talk that "they're selling you a downloaded ROM!" was tongue in cheek. His point is that there's a belief that ROM images are illegitimate/bootleg (in the adulterated sense) but Nintendo sells VC titles that are bit-for-bit identical (in some cases) to ROM dumps because they ultimately come from the same source. That is, ROMs are the official versions, it's the distribution of them that aren't authorized.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've never been a big MMO/RPG/RTS guy but I am absolutely loving D3. Makes me wonder if I've been unnecessarily ignoring an entire genre my entire life.

May have to look into watching some LP's of Civ 6 in preparation for it coming out on Switch.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I bought undertale on PC and never finished it but i'm glad I bought it on switch.

There's so many stupid little things in this game to love.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Beastie posted:

I've never been a big MMO/RPG/RTS guy but I am absolutely loving D3. Makes me wonder if I've been unnecessarily ignoring an entire genre my entire life.

May have to look into watching some LP's of Civ 6 in preparation for it coming out on Switch.

Nah you hopped into D3 at the right time. It’s launch was a shitshow of bad designs and the flounder with it for years until Reaper of Souls fixed a lot of issues

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barudak posted:

I'll keep that in mind. It's being sold for 20€. I could get a two Euro discount for pre-ordering. But as with so many games I can wait.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Now this is an interesting detail. The pirates argument of NES ROMs with headers being "derivative work" and thus marking Nintendo as hypocrites for using them did feel a bit off anyway.

The derivative work thing is the lamest argument. "Hey guys, download this copy of the latest Beyonce album that I ripped. Don't worry, I modified it by putting my own intro at the beginning, so it's a derivative work and totally not copyright infringement."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ROMs are good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

ROMs are good

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
give this thread eyes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's a good rom

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So I recently bought Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! with the drum controller and I'm having some issues that at first I thought were latency related. I just can't quite manage to get poo poo set up right and after googling some it seems like more people than just my dumb idiot self have this issue.

There's some calibration in the game but it seems really confusing to me and, worst of all, it kinda seems to not work? The little test mode they give you with the calibration is set up perfectly but during songs it's like a 50/50 chance of me actually hitting the note or getting anything better than an OK.

Not to mention the party games which seem to have much less leeway than the songs themselves. Despite hitting everything on time I fail like 90% of them because I guess I'm a little too late or too early on the hits. I really haven't figured out which it is yet honestly.

Anyone else buy this game and have the same sort of issues? Or maybe someone can just help me with the weird calibration menu that only sort of makes sense to me? I'm really bummed out cause I was really looking forward to this game and I've not had any issues with any other rhythm games on this TV so far :shrug:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

That's a good rom

No, that's a bad Rom that prevents us from seeing the world for what it truly is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please do not mock my special needs spider child

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ah, Kirby, or some say Kaabii. Do you hear our prayers?
Grant us mouths, grant us mouths, plant mouths in our brains, so that we may sate our beastly hunger

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rom is a good boy and real and my friend, Rom's spiders are jerks and bullies and the ones that jumps are even worse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

That's a good rom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rom is a good boy and real and my friend, Rom's spiders are jerks and bullies and the ones that jumps are even worse.

The real jerks are the ones that hang out in the church and the chalice dungeons. Dumbass red ones.