Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent bought Dharma because of the "Euros buying land in Asia for no good reason" issue. I'm trying really hard to speak with my wallet but on the other hand I want the expansion anyway.
Honestly, stuff like that makes me long for the game rules of CK2 which make things so more granular and better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, stuff like that makes me long for the game rules of CK2 which make things so more granular and better
Yeah I think each of their games should get that treatment.

Regarding the Trade Company buying-a-province-in-Asia thing should be gated behind taking a decision that requires you have Trade, Maritime, and/or Expansion ideas.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would accept that mechanic more if buying that land did anything but 95% of the time they buy a lovely province with no trade power and do nothing with it.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

trapped mouse posted:

Africa colonized the hell out of Portugal though.

Also looks like Castile integrated Naples but didn't take the Iberian Wedding? Unless they took it and somehow were not able to do the decision to merge the two countries by 1650. Also, what's that green country above Italy? It looks too dark to be Venice or Provence. I kind of dig the blob party in the middle east without the Ottos there to take it all.

Two pages back but that looks like a very healthy Styria to me. It doesn't exist normally but you can get that rich green if Austria fucks up and gets cracked apart by rebels.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I think each of their games should get that treatment.

Regarding the Trade Company buying-a-province-in-Asia thing should be gated behind taking a decision that requires you have Trade, Maritime, and/or Expansion ideas.

Just Maritime. Eventually there will be enough oomph behind it to make it worth taking.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Redeye Flight posted:

Two pages back but that looks like a very healthy Styria to me. It doesn't exist normally but you can get that rich green if Austria fucks up and gets cracked apart by rebels.

huh. neat!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I may arguably have been spending too much time playing this drat game recently; tonight I dreamed that I personally converted to Coptic Christianity.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

I may arguably have been spending too much time playing this drat game recently; tonight I dreamed that I personally converted to Coptic Christianity.

What bonus did you pick?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Sephyr posted:

What bonus did you pick?

Well I've been playing a ridiculous Mamluks game where I converted after I (or my already-Coptic neighbours to the south) had all the holy cities, so I guess all of them at once?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

Well I've been playing a ridiculous Mamluks game where I converted after I (or my already-Coptic neighbours to the south) had all the holy cities, so I guess all of them at once?

So it wasn't just a dream, but a -wet- dream, my friend.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Just watched that new Robert the Bruce movie on netflix and I am ready to start a Scotland game so bad.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Blinks77 posted:

Then there's... there's the very strange times.

Am I the only one that is going to talk about the elephant in the room and ask what the hell happened to the Oman????

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hormuz kicks rear end now, I've seen them push back a healthy Timurids.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Funky Valentine posted:

Hormuz kicks rear end now, I've seen them push back a healthy Timurids.

Yeah in my current Mamluks game, they ate everything around them, and were it not for me eating all the rest of Arabia they'd be a great power by now, they're pretty huge and slowly nibbling into Persian lands.

Too bad for them that after relieving the Ottomans of the entirety of Anatolia + Thrace, they're the only high-value target left with which I don't have a truce :v: sorry guys but you're going down :shrug:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm glad Paradox made the overpowered Mughals. I finally went for a world conquest and I loved not having to bother about rebels, unlike in my previous attempts where I'd get bored trying to hunt them down popping out god knows where.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

mmkay posted:

I'm glad Paradox made the overpowered Mughals. I finally went for a world conquest and I loved not having to bother about rebels, unlike in my previous attempts where I'd get bored trying to hunt them down popping out god knows where.

Gah, so drat jealous. I've never gotten even close to a world conquest run. Any tips on pointers to how this went?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Gah, so drat jealous. I've never gotten even close to a world conquest run. Any tips on pointers to how this went?

General tips:
1. Focus on one religion and region (culture group especially) at a time to manage aggressive expansion. So for example: kill off Muslims in India then Arabia, then Russia/ Eastern religions. I went to Europe last and started with (catholic) Iberia, then basically the only reformed country - France, Anglican UK and back to catholics. I killed the HRE last, because I faced a protestant empire with Brandenburg at the helm with around 12 morale.

2. Timur specific - check Arumba's guide. Most of it is somewhat obvious, though on my first attempt, I wasn't aware you could suck so much vassal income that they'd you could fix the liberty desire by paying back their loans with their own money.

3. Most of the expansion comes later, when you get absolutlism (I grew mine really slowly so it was far from optimal) and imperialism (though religious ideas would work as well)

4. Try to get (any) European province somewhat early and don't fully core too many provinces in India. Move capitol to Europe and get that sweet trade company cash.

Edit: Also when I had roughly 1k development I tried to touch Ming (by abusing their tributaries' alliances). They hung around for around 20 years before exploding (without me fighting them).

mmkay fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 12, 2018

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Haven't actually done it yet (hell, not only have I never done a WC, but in ~2400 hours I haven't really played much past about the year 1700) but I'm thinking it might be even easier to do it starting as the Mamluks. Stomp the Ottos early and often until they're not a thing anymore, in between the Otto-stomping you expand east, eating up Persian culture provinces and snaking towards Delhi... culture shift and form the Mughals as soon as you have the needed clay.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Trip report from a new attempt at A Sun God:

Start a war with Chima and Muisca. Muisca troops immediately run to the very bottom of South America to siege 1/1/1 provinces there.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062427108444659712

USE THIS KNOWLEDGE RESPONSIBLY!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Roadie posted:

Start a war with Chima and Muisca. Muisca troops immediately run to the very bottom of South America to siege 1/1/1 provinces there.

They're supposedly fixing the war AI in the next patch to stop this kind of behavior and I cannot loving wait.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Everybody complain until Tenochtitlan is the highest dev province in the game as is proper.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anybody played much MEIOU and Taxes? Finally decided to take the plunge, and I really like the angle of fighting for control and the resources of the state, but man does it ever run like poo poo. Also I have no idea what I'm doing. Especially mad at Condotierro; when your force limit is 6, some OPM getting to rent 8k in armies somehow really hurts.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Started as Viji and went with exploration as my first idea group. My first colony, Australia, has had the colonist parked on the mountain capital in New Zealand. Capital is now at 28 development. New Zealand is over 100 development. The colony as a whole is almost 300 development in 1675. All my other colonies are sending out their colonist as normal.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Started as Viji and went with exploration as my first idea group. My first colony, Australia, has had the colonist parked on the mountain capital in New Zealand. Capital is now at 28 development. New Zealand is over 100 development. The colony as a whole is almost 300 development in 1675. All my other colonies are sending out their colonist as normal.

The AI is clearly roleplaying as "a society that would rather live in lush forests and mountains than a vast desert full of deadly things" and you can hardly blame them

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any working randomized world/shattered europa type mods for 1.27?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The war AI is hilarious at times. I was doing a game in India, expanding into the middle east. In one of the wars the target was guaranteed by the Ottomans, I figured I could take them since I had more and better armies. All trough that war I was wondering why I am not being attacked by them, it was their only war. A couple months later I start realizing my colonies in the Ivory coast were sieged down with three 28 stacks from the Ottomans sitting there..... meanwhile I was siegeing down Anatolia.....

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The AI's omniscience told them you had foolishly left that region undefended. Also it's really scary if their opponent could actually potentially fight back successfully. :ohdear:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I started a Mamluks run for kicks and it's going rather well; it's not even 1500 yet and I already ate all of Fezzan, most of Aq Qonlui to the point that I reached the Black Sea by getting Trebizond. Hejaz and Byzantyum are both vassal, Poland and Bohemia my allies (gonna skip Poland for Russia once it forms), and I got the lion's share of the Anatolian minors.

I don't feel ready to take on Ottos directly yet, unless they get stuck in a hellwar. They had a couple that came close, but in the end they eked out minor victories (and my allies would not join if I had declared). I've seen that creating Rum is an option and their ideas seem rather good. Do they get good missions? Not that Mamluk missions are all that grand.

Also tried tangling with Ethiopia once, but my manpower was a bit low after a war with Qara Qonliu and they had a swarm of allies with vassals. I won, but got only a measly three provinces. A bit worried of letting them too free to grow.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Hit the Ottos first, early and often, never let them grow strong. Ally and guarantee Byzantium, they will join you in every war against the green menace.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Roadie posted:

I am 95% of the way to completing A Sun God on an old forgotten save but I had to fight one more hellwar with Spain and then sit around for 150 years on speed 5 for the last institution and I kinda got bored of it. Good luck though!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groke posted:

Hit the Ottos first, early and often, never let them grow strong. Ally and guarantee Byzantium, they will join you in every war against the green menace.

Yeah the earlier you ruin them the better. They almost always get quantity eventually and that will give them a pretty free hand to expand into Europe, not to mention making actually fighting them yourself a chore.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

I vassalized Byzantium and fed them Athens. I'm currently biding my time until all allies join a war against Ottos. Just waiting for them to get tangled in Hungary/Venice or try to defend Tunis from Spain and I'll hit them as hard as possible, even if I have to take out some loans. Can't be long now as I already closed all of their non-european paths of expansion.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

If you kept them from taking Byzantium you've practically already beaten them. In the next war take Edirne and the two provinces on the opposite sides of the two straight crossings over the Sea of Marmara and you'll completely cripple them. Build a fort in Edirne (you can build forts in vassal lands, so feel free to feed the provinces to Byz) so that your armies can always get across, and you'll usually get to fight their army with a straight crossing bonus. The AI can't really cope with not being able to group up their greek and anatolian armies.

If you're in Ironman you should probably go for the Levant Turnabout achievement before forming Rum. Also, the Mamluk government is really good (massive army traditions and cheap high level advisors) so I don't think you're going to get much stronger if you do tag switch, but Rum's map color is pretty, so, ehh do whatever you like.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Go coptic IMO.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In my Mamluk game after Cradle came out, I completely misunderstood their government mechanics, so when I saw stuff about getting bonuses for having circassian provinces, I thought "Wait, so I get sweet rewards for snaking my way up to the caucasus mountains? Weird, but okay."

And then I did so. I declared war on the Ottomans in like 1450 or so and walled them off by snaking straight up to the black sea. It was a very close war actually. It's trivial to build a bigger army than the ottomans in the early game as the Mamluks (especially when you count your vassal armies), but what you should really pay attention to is their force limits. The ottomans will build another 20k units at the snap of the fingers and their staying power is insane. I had to use constant hit-and-run tactics by trying to strike their armies when they were separated and running the gently caress away whenever they concentrated their power, and distracting them like this while trying to occasionally siege down provinces.

Suffice to say, I was disappointed when I found out how the Mamluk government actually works, but it was still worth whooping the otto's rear end and walling them off from the east.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey how come subject power isn't factored into who gets to lead the religious leagues? I've got Brandenburg and Novgorod as my subjects and I'm obviously the dominant Protestant nation in Europe, but loving Bohemia is leading the Protestant League and they're also not starting the war because ???

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you have any way to creating revolutionary governments\toppling monarchies when you're a revolunary nation?

Seems like being the revolutionary target doesn't really do you much when it comes to diplomacy other than gobbling territory or making vassals while keeping the heads of states.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given how the revolutions of 1848 worked, it seems really weird that there can only be one revolutionary republic in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given how the revolutions of 1848 worked, it seems really weird that there can only be one revolutionary republic in the game.

The game isn't modelling that, that's more Victoria's purview, which it does by spawning colossal stacks of rebels.