Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Update: duck legs didn't die in SV over night. Starting to build the cassoulet with home made sausage meatballs instead of toulouse sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

you should prob kill the duck before sv-ing it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

you should prob kill the duck before sv-ing it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A novel approach to sous vide

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I love my new pig

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have a confession to make.

I really like olive loaf lunch meat.
Not the Oscar Myer stuff, but maybe like Boarshead or your other deli's choice.

In my youth I thought it was something only my grandpa wanted, like czarnina, but it turned out I liked that too.

Braunschweiger, olive loaf lunch meat, and duck blood soup. welp you can't make that up

e: vv more of an admission than, kindred spirit :)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 12, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How is that a confession? All of that is delicious and you shouldn't be ashamed eating any of it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I tried some Boars Head mortadella with pistachios this weekend, and it was goddamn delicious.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Big Beef City posted:

I have a confession to make.

I really like olive loaf lunch meat.
Not the Oscar Myer stuff, but maybe like Boarshead or your other deli's choice.

In my youth I thought it was something only my grandpa wanted, like czarnina, but it turned out I liked that too.

Braunschweiger, olive loaf lunch meat, and duck blood soup. welp you can't make that up

e: vv more of an admission than, kindred spirit :)

Sounds like your family might have either German or Polish roots? Man, we have so many good foods that you'd think are gross but are really good! (they're just not really very healthy)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just in case anyone was unaware, Lebanon Bologna is basically god tier lunch meat.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

I love my new pig

this is too loving cute holy poo poo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

couple of fresh corn tortillas, some soft scramble eggs, pile of home fries, top the whole with a healthy puddle of freshly roasted hatch chile and a side of thick cut double smoked bacon and this snow day is pretty alright

add a steaming natural process ethiopian pourover, pure blueberry

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok so everything is prepped for Duckpocalypse. I'll commit to trying to maybe take one picture, but there's a good chance I'll forget.

I SVed the duck last night - four small breasts. I'm going to pan sear them to finish them. I rehydrated, pureed, and strained some currants and cranberries. They're a bit sweet, but I think that'll be ok. I'm going to take a bit of pan sauce and mix it with the fruit as a topping for the duck.

Here's where I've gone down a rabbit hole. The plan was asparagus and roast baby potatoes with rosemary, but my girlfriend brought some stuff home from her weekend away, so I've added some roast carrots and cauliflower to the mix. There was half a pear in the fridge so I chopped it up really small and threw it in with the potatoes (which I blanched), because I couldn't help myself. I have a weird compulsion to top my roast vegetables with tahina for some reason, but I'm trying to stop myself from doing that (I'm craving tahina + cauliflower).

I'm also going to serve with a side of the cassoulet that I made (which is mediocre, as far as cassoulet goes, but that means it's still one of the most delicious things in the world). There will probably be some snooty cheese on the table, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Braunschweigert is one of my great weaknesses. My aunt always brings a ball of it, covered in a cream cheese/sour cream icing, to the family Christmas party as an snack, and it is delicious with rye crackers.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Liquid Communism posted:

Braunschweiger is one of my great weaknesses. My aunt always brings a ball of it, covered in a cream cheese/sour cream icing, to the family Christmas party as an snack, and it is delicious with rye crackers.

Like the German kind or the american smoked liverwurst kind? Because the former sounds super good. I never thought of icing a giant meatball for the holidays, but it's now on the list.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The American garlicy smoked liverwurst kind.

It's a cheeseball alternative. Usually the outer crust is covered with celery seed, a little caraway seed, and cracked pepper for ours, too, which is apparently a weird thing.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
<Mod Edit : Removed>

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 13, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gin, please see my post in the industry threat, and take that to PMs and email rather than advertising on the forum.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

A novel approach to sous vide

One day I will live in a house with a jacuzzi full of live ducks.

I will also pet the ducks.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I debated posting a thing. Deleted it the first time. But gently caress it.

Y'all are family. GWS is my second internet home after the furries. So, I'm coming out as a trans girl. I just didn't realize I was one for like, over a decade. That is all. <3

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Manuel Calavera posted:

Y'all are family. GWS is my second internet home after the furries. So, I'm coming out as a trans girl. I just didn't realize I was one for like, over a decade. That is all. <3

Sup! I highly recommend your local Maurice's as a clothes destination, they have great sales all the time and very helpful staff.

Lane Bryant is also cool and chill, half the people that work at the one near me have punk haircuts and it owns.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Good for you buddy. I know we gave you a hard time for the furry thing (although it was never that bad round these parts I don't think). To be happy you have to be at peace with yourself, and sounds like you're on the way. Congrats.

In related news, my divorce went final last week. Not really a cause for celebration, but on to better things.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hey that's great. Be proud of who you are, it's all good. Also furries are ok in my book since they actually take a stand against nazis which is better than can be said about polite society apparently.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In related news, my divorce went final last week. Not really a cause for celebration, but on to better things.
It sucks to go through but in hindsight it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Here's hoping for a bright future!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Hey that's great. Be proud of who you are, it's all good. Also furries are ok in my book since they actually take a stand against nazis which is better than can be said about polite society apparently.

2018, when furries and juggalos become our allies in the war against facism, just as Nostradamus predicted.

Croatoan posted:

It sucks to go through but in hindsight it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Here's hoping for a bright future!

Thanks man. It's been tough on my girls. I hate to put them through this. But I couldn't live with her anymore and needed to do something for my own mental health.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks y'all. I didn't think of myself as a guy for years, like I said. I'm almost 32 now. A conversation just made that connection that gave me the realization. I'm also moving out in a month. And I'm gonna make an appointment with a doctor that week. Hopefully I can get started on HRT not long after that. It should be quick if Aetna doesn't require therapist approval. Or if they do, then wherever I go they have a therapist who can write a letter of approval. If I have to get that, it shouldn't be hard at least.

Lane Bryant is on my list for sure. I'm aware of them at least since my mom and sister are both, not waifs. So I know of them. I haven't told FAMILY yet. And... that'll take some time. And more confidence. After I move out. And can live life as I am. I'll look into Maurice's.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Congrats sister, come join us in the troon thread!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congrats to all the happy people making productive decisions in their lives

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hawkgirl posted:

Congrats sister, come join us in the troon thread!

Link? Also I'm a little skittish about that term only because of the Farm folks. I peek at that site to see if the Nazi furries have done anything dumb recently. But I'm otherwise interested in the thread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Glad you feel comfortable letting us know! Change in life can be scary, especially when it comes to family, but I wish you the best. If you're worried about doxxing, I know at least one other person on the forums in a similar situation has opted to create a new account to get away from their old post history to make that less likely.

Divorce is always rough, but I'm glad that you have at least some closure there!

In other news, I'm posting from work, where I have been for three hours. My actual shift starts in seven. Grave shift blues are go. :unsmith:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
MC - congrats
FGR - sort of congrats?

I feel bad sharing news after that stuff but I got married to my best friend a couple of weeks ago. It's good!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congarts Wiggles. Can we find your wedding registry at Costco? <3

Also, more hugs for FGR. For congratdolences, something like that? Something fitting.

I'm not skittish about post history. If someone were dedicated enough, maybe they could make the connection. But only about three goons know the connection of the names. Nor am I worried about the Farm types starting anything. They've already talked about me a tiny bit, for daring to have interests. I'm just iffy about the specific word, 'troon', just because the way they use it is toxic as hell.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Link? Also I'm a little skittish about that term only because of the Farm folks. I peek at that site to see if the Nazi furries have done anything dumb recently. But I'm otherwise interested in the thread.

It’s not commonly used to refer to each other, but it is in the thread title :shrug: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809418

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I saw looking up 'trans' on the forum. I can manage. At least it's not GBS.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Congratulations to everyone, what a week for GWS news!

Literally no changes in my life, I have nothing to report whatsoever

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

As much as it sucks my divorce was the best thing ever! Both my current wife and I had bad first mairrages and it’s nice to know that all you have to do to have a good one is be kind and listen to each other, something our first spouses (and myself to be honest, I was a young jerk) did not understand. Also I was way more grown up and we dated for years longer before getting married the second time around. 4 years married 13 years together now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Holy poo poo we're getting an Eataly in Vegas. Good thing I don't have to fit into that wedding outfit anymore.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 14, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Holy poo poo we're getting an Eataly in Vegas. Good thing I don't have to fit into that wedding outfit anymore.

Congrats on wedding, wiggles. Now what’s an Eataly?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
A fancy food store owned by a disgusting groper, a racist and a woman who enslaved a house maid.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah but the bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

A fancy food store owned by a disgusting groper, a racist and a woman who enslaved a house maid.

Are those all the same person? I didn’t realise the Trump empire extended to foods.