Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone know what the special horse controls are on the Xbox One? I've unlocked all three but missed what button to press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It tells you in the help guide about horses, but it's something like rb+x while standing still = rear, rb+a while riding = skid stop (and you can like do u-turns with directions too) and hold x+direction while riding = "drift" which is basically horse strafing. They're not that big a deal unless you want to look cool so actually they are the most important controls in the game.

Anyways the built in help guide will tell you specifics, I'm just going off of memory.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I gotta admit with all the bitching in thread I feel pretty lucky i havent hit any of these bugs. But i also read tool tips and after playing gta a bunch lately was fully prepared for the control scheme so that may also factor into my not assuming dumb poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does anyone know what the gently caress this is all about? There's a crashed boat in the top right corner of the map, you follow a path to get there but this is all there is. No items or anything else to look at.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

JBP posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress this is all about? There's a crashed boat in the top right corner of the map, you follow a path to get there but this is all there is. No items or anything else to look at.

I think these are cheat codes. I’ve found a bunch inside drawers.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

I gotta admit with all the bitching in thread I feel pretty lucky i havent hit any of these bugs. But i also read tool tips and after playing gta a bunch lately was fully prepared for the control scheme so that may also factor into my not assuming dumb poo poo.

Yeah I've only hit minor bugs, nothing game breaking, and for whatever reason the problems I was bitching about way earlier in the thread where benign things like hitching my horse to the hitching post in Valentine would eventually get me killed with a huge bounty haven't happened in a very long time. I seem to have a bug that's constantly resetting my weapon loadout no matter what I set it to at a gunsmith, but it's not the end of the world.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

shortspecialbus posted:

It tells you in the help guide about horses, but it's something like rb+x while standing still = rear, rb+a while riding = skid stop (and you can like do u-turns with directions too) and hold x+direction while riding = "drift" which is basically horse strafing. They're not that big a deal unless you want to look cool so actually they are the most important controls in the game.

Anyways the built in help guide will tell you specifics, I'm just going off of memory.

There's a built-in help guide?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

ElectricWizard posted:

I think these are cheat codes. I’ve found a bunch inside drawers.

If that is a cheat code, where/how would one go about entering that phrase as a cheat code?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah in the menu there's an extremely detailed guide to everything.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah it's in the pause menu under "Help" or something. It's actually pretty robust.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

ada shatan posted:

If that is a cheat code, where/how would one go about entering that phrase as a cheat code?

Apparently you click triangle or y in the pause menu. You can’t save after enabling them though.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/red-dead-redemption-2-cheat-codes-guide/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I was riding a new horse up around Mt Shann when we took a tumble off the side of a cliff. Somehow we both survived, so I immediately gave her an oatcake as an apology. "Horse bonding has reached level 2." Glad horses aren't all that great about holding grudges in this game. :3:

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

No, the stat modifiers max out at +/- 7.5% and then you can just never worry about it again.

I made my Arthur eat all the time in an effort to get him fat as hell and I was still at minimum weight by the end of chapter 3 so I almost wonder if that's another mechanic that's bugged and just quits working.

It’s based on resting and eating. Like you do have to eat an insane amount to maintain weight, but there’s a limit to how much food will actually contribute so eating like 20 things of meat will do the same as eating 2-3. Chocolate bars will pick up your weight faster as well, so if you’re trying to put on some fat eat like 3-5 of those then nap.

I don’t remember where I read this from might have been here or reddit, but I am currently at perfect weight though there are some fluctuations where I have to eat some chocolate or whatever and sleep. The bonus for perfect weight is that 15% dead eye core, which is pretty sweet and all but whether or not it’s really worth it...ehhh.

There is a whole lot in this game that doesn’t get explained well enough or at all. Like at max bond while riding your horse, patting it will give you back a good chunk of stamina (on a short cooldown)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Getting cj huge by just eating tons of pizzas was super fun in gta:sa

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The biggest annoyance to me is that your campsite doesn't seem to persist for more than a day or two and seems to blip off the map if you stray outside a relatively small radius.
Do you use a campsite for hunting? Why? I only use the campsite if I need to craft something or if I want to advance time/heal. I always destroy it right after. If you don't destroy it, do you lose access or need to 'pick it up' again later? Does it show up on your map then?

shut up blegum posted:

Just spent like an real life hour looking for a Cardinal.
I also saw a woodpecker flying around there, trying to figure out if I can find the rock where they spawn.
Do birds only spawn on rocks? I hear them all the time, but usually they're flying. I try to find woodpeckers and songbirds in trees, but I never see them perched on a branch or something when Eagle Eyeing.

Section Z posted:

They have to be hats the game wants you to save anyways. Flashing seems to be an indicator?
I wish. The cool civil war cavalry hat with feather I found is only in my inventory by saving it in a custom outfit. It does not show up in my list of hats. I'm afraid to delete the custom outfit now, but I also can't wear the hat on any other outfit :(

Durzel posted:

Holy poo poo I do some dumb poo poo whilst playing this game, like putting down a camp as soon as I killed something with a perfect pelt that I had been stalking for an eternity (it despawns the entire carcass), and er.. rushing to get that white Arabian and somehow managing to lose all of the perfect pelts I had in my existing horse's cargo when I transferred saddles? Like just gone, not even on the old (now temporary) horse.
Is there a knack to the duel system? I'm sure it's probably been answered before in the last 150 odd pages but I find it completely inscrutable to the point where whenever I win a duel or disarm someone it feels like complete fluke. I hold down R2 gently, but beyond that I don't know what I'm supposed to do or when. :(
Best is when you break a new horse in the wild, do not transfer saddles but beeline to the nearest stables and stable or change saddles from the stables menu. You just ride the horse with no saddle and make your regular horse follow with all of your stuff.

For me the duel mini-game is either bugged or I'm an idiot. I softly press the R2 button to fill up the meter, then I press hard to pull but poo poo happens. Every time the story makes you do it I've repeated a dozen times when it accidentally triggers or I've just skipped the duel. I'm wondering if my controller is just broken at this point, cause how else can these simple steps be so hard?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I gotta say I really liked the stranger missions with Albert Mason. None of them were particularly challenging, but I just loved the interactions between him and Arthur. The guy's a dope but determined and Arthur seemed to respect it and actually like the guy. Arthur's journal entry about the photo Albert gave him was :3: I kinda expected Rockstar to kill him off at the end for a laugh but I' appreciate their restraint.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sioux posted:

I wish. The cool civil war cavalry hat with feather I found is only in my inventory by saving it in a custom outfit. It does not show up in my list of hats. I'm afraid to delete the custom outfit now, but I also can't wear the hat on any other outfit :(
Purchased hats, crafted hats, and found hats are all in their own section of the hat menu for some reason, you can use L1/R1 (or LB/RB on the Xbox, I'd assume) to switch between them.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

shortspecialbus posted:

lol listen to this guy: "rear" lol

it's called a 'horse wheelie' you knucklehead

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

For those who already finished the game or are deep into it, what point would you guys say is the best to really start digging into the side content and exploring poo poo? I just started Chapter 3.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Sioux posted:

Do birds only spawn on rocks? I hear them all the time, but usually they're flying. I try to find woodpeckers and songbirds in trees, but I never see them perched on a branch or something when Eagle Eyeing.

I've seen a ton of different songbirds spawn on the roof and fence of that little goat farm on Larned Sod, just south of the Heartland Overflow.

Edit:

Mystic Stylez posted:

For those who already finished the game or are deep into it, what point would you guys say is the best to really start digging into the side content and exploring poo poo? I just started Chapter 3.

That's a perfect place to start exploring.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yea, 3 or 4 is good. Whenever you get the deadeye ability to manually mark your targets rather than paint the X's on uncontrollably.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I finally learned how to cook seasoned meat after I dunno, like 80 hours of play. Did i miss that tutorial somehow or is it just plain not in the game?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mystic Stylez posted:

Near the end of chapter 3 through the middle of Chapter 4.

If you choose to prolong chapter 3, just do everything except the Tobacco mission for a nice buffer but also having unlocked all the new side content chapter 3 offers. Keep an eye on the map to see if some slight time delay missions pop up. I remember thinking "Wait, why hasn't X mission shown up" only for it to do so after my next nap.

If I'm remembering my Chapter 4 breakpoints right, stop doing main plot after Fancy boat for a nice buffer with as many unlocks as possible.

Chapter 4 is probably more popular. As much because Elite Horses are for sale once you start it, and more side quests are unlocked or allowed to be finished. I've done a lot of my screwing around in chapter 3 though.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

GruntyThrst posted:

I finally learned how to cook seasoned meat after I dunno, like 80 hours of play. Did i miss that tutorial somehow or is it just plain not in the game?

Pretty sure Josea teaches you early in Chapter 2 when you hunt the legendary bear

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Having the worst time trying to get perfect bunnies. Also everything online says the rolling block rifle is unlocked to buy after you do the mission pouring forth oil but uhh I’ve done it and still can’t buy it. Anyone know exactly when I can buy it?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Dead Like Rev posted:

Having the worst time trying to get perfect bunnies. Also everything online says the rolling block rifle is unlocked to buy after you do the mission pouring forth oil but uhh I’ve done it and still can’t buy it. Anyone know exactly when I can buy it?

You'll get it during the course of a main story mission.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Did you do all four parts of the Oil quest? If so you'll be able to buy one at the start of the next Marston mission.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea what I was supposed to do with the eugenicist in St. Denis? I ended up feeding him to alligators but it was a little anticlimactic.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AFAIK, he's just a guy you can beat up/kill without law involvement or honor hit.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The Fool posted:

AFAIK, he's just a guy you can beat up/kill without law involvement or honor hit.

Mine came back from the dead :tinfoil:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I’ve seen people mentioning a sidequest with a guy called Hamish. I’m in chapter six, and haven’t come across him. Did I miss the quest chain entirely?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any idea what I was supposed to do with the eugenicist in St. Denis? I ended up feeding him to alligators but it was a little anticlimactic.

If you go to the game completion list in the progress menu there's a section called "ranters ravers and lunatics" or something like that, pretty sure he qualifies. It's just flavor basically, although it's nice that I was able to beat him to death in the street and no one seemed to care. Less nice that he apparently comes back.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElectricWizard posted:

I’ve seen people mentioning a sidequest with a guy called Hamish. I’m in chapter six, and haven’t come across him. Did I miss the quest chain entirely?

He's in chapter six. Now would be a good time to do some wandering in the north. It'll be a stranger mission with a ?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wait wait wait, this is a bug? I can't use my guns in a game that's core mechanic is literally shooting poo poo? gently caress this game is trash. Can't want to chop wood for another 35 hours to amplify my immersion

lmao :qq:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

If you go to the game completion list in the progress menu there's a section called "ranters ravers and lunatics" or something like that, pretty sure he qualifies. It's just flavor basically, although it's nice that I was able to beat him to death in the street and no one seemed to care. Less nice that he apparently comes back.

As I was riding out of town with him hogtied on my horse, I pass a black cowboy who sees it and says "I'm not getting involved with that." Which I'm sure is a generic response but it made me laugh in context.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I read about high stakes gambling on a riverboat in the newspaper. Is that a real thing in-game?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Was something updated recently? Yesterday before work I put my xbox in rest mode, as I've done a million times before while in the bank robbery mission. When I loaded up to play after work, the game acted as if I exited out and rebooted it. The same thing happened just now when I went to play. I'm back at camp and that mission hasn't started.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

shut up blegum posted:

I read about high stakes gambling on a riverboat in the newspaper. Is that a real thing in-game?
It's only in one mission, unfortunately.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think I'm near the end of Chapter 3. Without spoiling too much... does the camp ever get more to upgrade or buy? I have everything upgraded fully (minus the cosmetic stuff I have to craft), so other than the cheap provision refills I can't see any reason to keep donating to the camp funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chapter 3 adds the boat, then as far as I know that's everything.

I still throw $20 in the box every time I'm in camp. It feels good and it offsets some of the honor loss from the random robberies and violence.