Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

what is the actual use case for SharePoint, because I'm like 90% certain what we're doing isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AggressivelyStupid posted:

what is the actual use case for SharePoint, because I'm like 90% certain what we're doing isn't it

document storage and management of thereof

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e.g. y2k dropbox for "copy of final proposal draft (2).doc"

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I guess we're kinda close then

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

document storage and management of thereof

incorrect, sharepoint is "we need a document storage platform but don't want to spend the time and effort to set one up and manage a proper taxonomy so we'll just pile poo poo into 18 billion sharepoint sites"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's for when you're looking for something specific but would rather find every powerpoint slide that mentioned the topic created by anyone at your company over the last decade.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

incorrect, sharepoint is "we need a document storage platform but don't want to spend the time and effort to set one up and manage a proper taxonomy so we'll just pile poo poo into 18 billion sharepoint sites"

if someone asked me what SharePoint is, I'd probably respond with "Microsoft Geocities except not free"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

it's when a company wants to create a little internal website for the company intranet, but wants to spend as little effort on it as possible and doesn't care if it's actually useful or even usable

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its a way to save documents for people too stupid to use explorer mapped drives

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
ShartPoint

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
have any of you folks used apache isis?

e: or i guess naked objects in .net is a similar idea

DELETE CASCADE fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 14, 2018

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

DELETE CASCADE posted:

is that where they reclaim their ancestral lands by force?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

i was talking to a former colleague the other week who said "yeah we were working on a deployment on aws for months then management [of a multinational multi billion dollar org] announced that in future they would only consider using google cloud so we lost the contract ", i just said 'lmao good luck to them with that when Google abandons all support after 18 months"

idk why you'd use anything google "provides" for enterprise poo poo

honestly if you stick to the core infrastructure on google cloud (compute/storage/etc, not the fancy machine-learning-bullshit APIs) it'll probably be well-supported for a good long time as it's entirely reasonable for google to invest in amazon not eating the entire internet, and google is pretty okay at running infrastructure

anything that is not obviously critical to google's continued survival is p sketch tho

edit:

examples of google things it is okay to rely on not being deprecated as soon as someone gets bored: web search, advertising

examples of google things you should not rely on: literally anything targeted at consumers, anything involving hardware

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 14, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

missed their chance to call the .NET clone ISIL

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

it's when a company wants to create a little internal website for the company intranet, but wants to spend as little effort on it as possible and doesn't care if it's actually useful or even usable

hm we use confluence for this. it's like perl where it's write only and no one reads it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Arcsech posted:

honestly if you stick to the core infrastructure on google cloud (compute/storage/etc, not the fancy machine-learning-bullshit APIs) it'll probably be well-supported for a good long time as it's entirely reasonable for google to invest in amazon not eating the entire internet, and google is pretty okay at running infrastructure

anything that is not obviously critical to google's continued survival is p sketch tho

edit:

examples of google things it is okay to rely on not being deprecated as soon as someone gets bored: web search, advertising

examples of google things you should not rely on: literally anything targeted at consumers, anything involving hardware

one nice thing about aws is they never turn stuff off. simpledb is still there for example. Im fuckin tired of companies deciding that maintaining their poo poo isnt strategic so you get to migrate or else

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

hm we use confluence for this. it's like perl where it's write only and no one reads it

too real

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

one nice thing about aws is they never turn stuff off. simpledb is still there for example. Im fuckin tired of companies deciding that maintaining their poo poo isnt strategic so you get to migrate or else

one terrible thing about azure is that if you dont like c# youre often stuck doing poo poo the hard way

I say as a person whos had to deploy python products in azure. also the documentation is all over the place but I dont know if any place has actual good documentation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

one terrible thing about azure is that if you dont like c# youre often stuck doing poo poo the hard way

I say as a person whos had to deploy python products in azure. also the documentation is all over the place but I dont know if any place has actual good documentation

aws docs seemed ok but that was much earlier and i was doing much simpler things (also was way more clueless than now if that sounds believable to you)

now gcp intuitively appears to be trashfire, so im genuinely curious how off about their docs specifically i am, that is one cloud ive had not even a tangential relationship with

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

i swear I am the only person that reads or writes anything into our confluence site.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i swear I am the only person that reads or writes anything into our confluence site.

yeah, probably. everyone else thought it was a waste of time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

same here, we have 5 writers and maybe 20 readers in confluence ostensibly for 4 digits of people

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

cinci zoo sniper posted:

aws docs seemed ok but that was much earlier and i was doing much simpler things (also was way more clueless than now if that sounds believable to you)

now gcp intuitively appears to be trashfire, so im genuinely curious how off about their docs specifically i am, that is one cloud ive had not even a tangential relationship with

I wrote some bad docs for the gcp product I work on but my team has a tech writer now, so they should be getting better.

I like the parts of gcp I've used on my gently caress around / learn stuff projects. right now it uses gcp dns, load balancer, cdn, and cloud storage. GCLB recently added 'automatically managed https certificates' which is nice because now I don't have to run a bunch of letsencrypt commands every couple months. I'm confident https://www.goatse.gop could efficiently handle millions of users if it ever needed to (it won't).

Cloud shell is also really convenient, and I've enjoyed loving with cloud build and kubernetes engine.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
gcp has the best cost exploration out of all of the providers, with a simple way to split projects up and look at them individually. their kubernetes offering is also the best by far.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the aws cost explorer is pretty good once you setup all your tagging. its pretty useless otherwise

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Boiled Water posted:

c# rules python drools

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Finster Dexter posted:

c# rules python drools

not when your boss has mandated python for all future projects and azure because and I quote active directory is neat

:v: :v: :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

not when your boss has mandated python for all future projects and azure because and I quote active directory is neat

Python 3.6+ is fine. :colbert:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

AD and azure AD are both very nice. python is very bad. use c# and just tell him you're using python

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ratbert90 posted:

Python 3.6+ is fine. :colbert:

its ok if youre rigorous with type annotations and dont try to do clever things

spent the day ripping out some pointless metaclass bs someone was far too proud of that ultimately did nothing whatsoever. like we literally had a config file that contained all the necessary information to get exactly the same result with fewer classes and no magic

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soricidus posted:

its ok if youre rigorous with type annotations and dont try to do clever things

spent the day ripping out some pointless metaclass bs someone was far too proud of that ultimately did nothing whatsoever. like we literally had a config file that contained all the necessary information to get exactly the same result with fewer classes and no magic

everyone seems to get a bit crazy when they first learn about some metaclass bs

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i learned about metaclasses in college and was like dur i dunno

then i learned about them again a few years ago and was like nope this is magical bs for making things break in terrible ways

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you havent lived til youve generated new classes and swizzled framework methods at runtime

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what if classes were a mistake?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

turns out, they werent

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

because I never formally learned to be a terrible programmer (I just do whatever because we don't have enough 'real' developers to do the work we have) I had never heard of metaclasses but it seems like you should just use inheritance, an interface, or a public method instead of passing some funky magic other class around to add methods that guarantees your refactoring is going to be more complicated than it has to be

like, it seems too clever for its own good.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

because I never formally learned to be a terrible programmer (I just do whatever because we don't have enough 'real' developers to do the work we have) I had never heard of metaclasses but it seems like you should just use inheritance, an interface, or a public method instead of passing some funky magic other class around to add methods that guarantees your refactoring is going to be more complicated than it has to be

like, it seems too clever for its own good.

What if you don't know when you write the code what methods you want??

Common metaprogramming uses are things like defining data classes from some parsed schema file

If you're lucky this happens at build time and then you can then use that generated class as if it were any other in your code.

If you're unlucky this happens at runtime and then you're in full reflection territory basically forced to have code that looks at the string method names etc it's so bad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

in Foundation, automatic notification of key-value observers for a property involves generating a subclass on the fly that then overrides the propertys setter(s) to send the will/did notifications around invocations of the original, and swizzle the objects class identity (its isa pointer) to the subclass

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LOL you say that like its some horrible inefficiency to traverse a few runtime data structures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

eschaton posted:

LOL you say that like its some horrible inefficiency to traverse a few runtime data structures

depending on your platform it absolutely can be, especially if its a common pattern