Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
The gang misses the boat had Mac with the mesh shirt in which he pretends to be banging Dusty. Would probably add that to your list as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't know if we have any gay men reading the thread, but does it at all feel odd to have a straight man (Rob McElhenny) creating this whole interpretive dance expressing "his" struggle as a gay man trying to find acceptance? It seems like it's been pretty well-received everywhere, and it's certainly a positive portrayal, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone bring this up. If he's never lived that experience, does it make it seem "fake" or shallow at all to people who have lived it in real life?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Not a gay man, since I'm transitioning now and also like women, but I lived as a queer dude for a long time, so I guess I kinda' might count?

I was just happy to have a gay man on television who wasn't a stereotype. Like, his assholishness isn't because he's gay and his gayness isn't central to his character so much as being raised Catholic is.

Mac's really complex, under the jokes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

I don't know if we have any gay men reading the thread, but does it at all feel odd to have a straight man (Rob McElhenny) creating this whole interpretive dance expressing "his" struggle as a gay man trying to find acceptance? It seems like it's been pretty well-received everywhere, and it's certainly a positive portrayal, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone bring this up. If he's never lived that experience, does it make it seem "fake" or shallow at all to people who have lived it in real life?

No, it's just good.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Phenotype posted:

I mean Rob grew up with two moms and has always been very sincere of his support for the community. It's acting, he's allowed to portray something he's not in real life if he's respectful and honest with it, and dude is both

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone's a little bi so maybe he's just channeling that

I mean a LOT and I mean a LOT of dudes say they're "straight" but have gay sexual fantasies. I've told lots of people I'm straight just to avoid them being weird because homophobia is insanely common even among totally woke people

precision fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 13, 2018

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I made the mistake of watching "The Gang Does a Clip Show" on shrooms and it messed up the rest of the season for me, I think.

btw the dance from the last episode was really beautiful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wanna watch that dance on shrooms or acid

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Phenotype posted:

They meta-joke about this in the episode itself.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i thought mac's confession to his dad was going to finally prompt the "i love you" he never got and it was going to be a happy ending which is why people had been buzzing about the finale so much. i laughed my god drat dick off at Frank's gradual devolvement into a disgusting blood-swollen creature as the episode progressed, top-notch Sunny in that regard, and then BOOM that ending. way better and more satisfying than anything i could have anticipated.

early in the dance when Mac's shirt comes off, i was still unsure if we were in joke territory or not and kinda snickered thinking they were still rolling with the "hey i got jacked, you guys" thing, but then my brain immediately switched to realizing that this dance was the reason he got so jacked in the first place and they were masking it since the first episode of the season.

what a cool show

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This was a cool episode and the goober a few pages back fussing about it being too serious as an unironic complaint only made it better.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's all I meant to say. He definitely wasn't gay at the start but it was obviously a joke to undermine his hyper masculine self identity with insecurities and blind spots and it just evolved.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to try she wasn't a woman or anything like that. Just that obviously the way they played it was as Mac being defensive and secretive. But again, I think back in S1 it was just a gag at his macho behavior and how he wanted to be perceived. The actual "Mac is gay" stuff didn't start up until later.

I apologize for what I can see was obviously a super bad way to say it that kind of suggested Carmen was a gay dude.

Thanks for the reply, that's totally fair and I agree with you on it, actually.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
This season is REALLY good

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
What's the proper chronological order of this season's episodes?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Easychair Bootson posted:

What's the proper chronological order of this season's episodes?

Other than the two superbowl episodes everything is chronological.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, what could have been :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_44fh_xrpE

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Other than the two superbowl episodes everything is chronological.

I don't think this is the case. I can't find it right now but I think Kaitlin Olson was interviewed around the premier of the season saying she wasn't sure what order the episodes were going to come out. The #metoo episode was right around the Kavenaugh hearing, if I'm remembering correctly. Otherwise, I feel like Dennis' Range Rover episode should have been episode #2. He talks about the gang clearly wanting to know what he's been doing while he's been away but they don't care. It seems like he would have addressed that much sooner. On top of that, if the episode's order was chronological I don't understand why he didn't notice his Range Rover was blown up/missing earlier. Especially so since the vehicle represented the mojo he'd lost without it and I don't know how he was full Dennis in other episodes otherwise.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope Dennis talks about being up north next season and it's just a big rip on Fargo

And it includes a Fargo Mac and Fargo Charlie and such

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't like AP Bio and I'm mad it's stealing Dennis from IASIP >:[

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Yes

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
wrong show died

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doltos posted:

I don't like AP Bio and I'm mad it's stealing Dennis from IASIP >:[
I do like AP Bio quite a lot and I'm mad that it lived while The Mick died

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Whalley posted:

The Mick was goooood :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Sean posted:

I don't think this is the case. I can't find it right now but I think Kaitlin Olson was interviewed around the premier of the season saying she wasn't sure what order the episodes were going to come out. The #metoo episode was right around the Kavenaugh hearing, if I'm remembering correctly. Otherwise, I feel like Dennis' Range Rover episode should have been episode #2. He talks about the gang clearly wanting to know what he's been doing while he's been away but they don't care. It seems like he would have addressed that much sooner. On top of that, if the episode's order was chronological I don't understand why he didn't notice his Range Rover was blown up/missing earlier. Especially so since the vehicle represented the mojo he'd lost without it and I don't know how he was full Dennis in other episodes otherwise.

I mean, he probably should have noticed it was blown up outside the bar. But it seems like he probably knew it was missing before he decided to ask everyone what they did with his Range Rover.

Like, maybe he got back and didn't think anything of it until he realized he wasn't the Golden God you Idiots until not having it for a few days.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

pr0p posted:

The Mick was goooood :(
Of all the shows to end on a depressing twist, The Mick is probably the strongest

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean clone high exists so I disagree

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Whalley posted:

:agreed:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I sometimes stop and think about the perfect build/payoff to God running into the Church, pointing at Ben and telling him to stay in school.

God, The Mick was amazing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

God, The Mick was amazing.

Too perfect for our world.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Late to the party.

Overall, I thought Season 13 was weak and that the show needs to come to an end before the drop in quality really becomes a problem. Thirteen seasons is a good run, no shame in anything, but time to wrap it up.

However

That finale was incredible and a testament to the care that the crew puts into the show. Years from now, when people do a retrospective on IASIP, this episode is going to be featured prominently. It was a shockingly powerful attempt at character development and analysis without any of the humor the show is known for. I actually found NOTHING about the episode funny, not Frank's busted face, not the BDSM scene, nothing- but not in a critical way. To me, without knowing anything about the episode, I could tell from the very beginning that this was going to be different, and that the attempts at humor felt like nothing more than misdirection. I'm not saying you can't find it funny, but to me it never felt like it wanted me to laugh.

For the first time ever I actually think I want to see the characters grow/change before the show ends. Not necessarily for the better, or for the worse, but I think it would be nice to do the opposite of Seinfeld. After 13 years of being compared to Seinfeld, it could be the ultimate subversion to see the characters grow in a meaningful way as they sail off into the sunset.

Also- can someone fill me in on when the area surrounding the pub went through all the development/new construction??? It kinda took me out of the show every time they did scenes outside the bar because of all the new construction. When did that first pop up? It takes me out of the setting quite a bit because a lovely failing pub like their's doesn't fit in what looks to be a new/expensive area.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SpitztheGreat posted:

Also- can someone fill me in on when the area surrounding the pub went through all the development/new construction??? It kinda took me out of the show every time they did scenes outside the bar because of all the new construction. When did that first pop up? It takes me out of the setting quite a bit because a lovely failing pub like their's doesn't fit in what looks to be a new/expensive area.

They've definitely set up that the other businesses in the area have succeeded while Paddy's has stagnated and gone mostly unnoticed. Molly's in "The Gang Reignites the Rivalry" is a good example of this. So, IDK, it's sort of fitting in a way.

And I enjoyed the return to the orgy buffet joke. I loved that call-back, plus the bloody nose rags in the chicken ughh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think the gentrification was decided by the show, it's just happening in real life like it is in most places like where Paddy's is located. Almost all the dive bars in lovely areas I knew from 13 years ago are gone or now surrounded by $400k 1br condos. That's why they gotta try to host "liberal speech nights" and attract the gays.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
You look like a bird.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think the gentrification was decided by the show, it's just happening in real life like it is in most places like where Paddy's is located. Almost all the dive bars in lovely areas I knew from 13 years ago are gone or now surrounded by $400k 1br condos. That's why they gotta try to host "liberal speech nights" and attract the gays.

I didn't mean to imply that the show had anything to do with it. I just don't remember the area around the bar looking any different in season 11 or 12, so to suddenly see all kinds of new construction around the bar was jarring. I'm not expecting a great deal of realism from the show, that's not it's thing obviously, but it did leave me scratching my head at times. Case in point, when they reveal that they destroyed Dennis' car, it was literally feet away from look like mixed use/ commercial space. Personally, I just liked it more when the setting was in some slummy part of town where people could be taken hostage, buildings burned, cars wrecked, and no one would notice. Seems like they could work the gentrification/improvement of the neighborhood into the story more, maybe compare/contrast in with the characters growth.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SpitztheGreat posted:

I didn't mean to imply that the show had anything to do with it. I just don't remember the area around the bar looking any different in season 11 or 12, so to suddenly see all kinds of new construction around the bar was jarring. I'm not expecting a great deal of realism from the show, that's not it's thing obviously, but it did leave me scratching my head at times. Case in point, when they reveal that they destroyed Dennis' car, it was literally feet away from look like mixed use/ commercial space. Personally, I just liked it more when the setting was in some slummy part of town where people could be taken hostage, buildings burned, cars wrecked, and no one would notice. Seems like they could work the gentrification/improvement of the neighborhood into the story more, maybe compare/contrast in with the characters growth.

If they want to go really bold they could work in the gentrification next season: "Paddy's is Priced Out". And they have to move the bar to a shittier location.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I had thought they (Frank) owned the bar, and that the physical aspect was included.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

deong posted:

I had thought they (Frank) owned the bar, and that the physical aspect was included.

They haven't really touched on it in a long time. Maybe Frank could have lost the deed in a poker game or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

1glitch0 posted:

They haven't really touched on it in a long time. Maybe Frank could have lost the deed in a poker game or something.

What about those mahjong(?) guys he used to hang around with

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just imagine Frank stumbling in, yelling about how he has a sure thing, the money-making scheme of a lifetime, where's the deed to the bar? Oh I use it to cram up the leak in the glass sink, Charlie says. Why do you need it anyways? Asks Mac. I got these gambling-addict Vietnamese on the hook for everything they got, I just need something serious to up the ante. And this is a sure thing? Inquires Dennis. Oh yeah, sure thing, sure thing, says Frank. These guys are morons, they're about to lose their shirts haha

"The Gang Gambles Away the Bar"

...did this happen? it feels weirdly familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Brawnfire posted:

"The Gang Gambles Away the Bar"

...did this happen? it feels weirdly familiar

It's not the same thing, but in one episode a jewish man comes in and states that his property extends into the bar and there's a whole battle about that. The gang jumps ship and almost all end up working at the applebees-ish place the waitress works at. I think they end up burning his building down or something. I think I'm remembering that accurately.

Speaking of waitress, I'm glad they've kept her name anonymous still. I hope that they continue through the whole series and don't do some reveal like Cosmo Kramer.