Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Missy the Master still in the new series?

Previous season spoilers: no, she got killed off in the last regular episode of the last season. If the Master is coming back again it will almost certainly be a new incarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't Dr Who just a very stupid show period and has always been? Or have I gotten the wrong impression.

yeah. its fun bad show and does some weird fun stuff but its never had the "gravitas" of star trek. i kinda like the older doctor who stuff because 60's and 70s BBC stuff is always weirdly charming and fun dumb. the new stuff is fine but its too in love with itself in my opinion. i liked it a bunch in high school but then i just burned out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6aAEiyeyc

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 14, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Star Trek is also a very stupid show as I learned 6 months ago binging through the first season of TNG which is equal parts entertaining and completely insane.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Star Trek is also a very stupid show as I learned 6 months ago binging through the first season of TNG which is equal parts entertaining and completely insane.

oh yeah definitely. i just mean, both doctor who and Star trek were pretty big around the same time and doctor who only got really big again in the mid aughts when they brought it back and the internet latched onto it.

i like both of them, i just think the old treks did "smart/serling" type sci-fi better. i guess i just got into TOS first. space Lincoln and such.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, at lot of the best of Trek happened in spite of Gene Roddenberry, rather than because of it contrary to the popular mythology built up around it. The comparisons between him and George Lucas really are spot on.

Gene had a lot of great ideas, but he went overboard on them and had to be reigned in by people capable of telling him “No.” lest you get poo poo like Season 1 TNG with all it’s weird sex and racism poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, at lot of the best of Trek happened in spite of Gene Roddenberry, rather than because of it contrary to the popular mythology built up around it. The comparisons between him and George Lucas really are spot on.

Gene had a lot of great ideas, but he went overboard on them and had to be reigned in by people capable of telling him “No.” lest you get poo poo like Season 1 TNG with all it’s weird sex and racism poo poo.

thing is he would probably be able to make that kinda poo poo now for HBO and people would eat it up, not the race poo poo hopefully, but the sex stuff would be ok. he could make captain Hugo Richard and the domination planet or whatever and then sprinkle some themes on top.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Radar posted:

Previous season spoilers: no, she got killed off in the last regular episode of the last season. If the Master is coming back again it will almost certainly be a new incarnation.

drat. She's one of the better things to come from the new seasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat. She's one of the better things to come from the new seasons.

She was a defining element of the Capaldi era, and they wanted a completely new start for Whitaker’s run. No recurring monsters or supporting characters from the previous series’s are slated to show up in her first year just to emphasize that. That’s not to say they won’t be back next year though.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve been hatewatching Doctor Who for the past few seasons now, hoping to be surprised by the occasional really good episode, and so far the new season has been weak overall. No absolute dumpster fires like Kill the Moon, at least.

This season’s main problem has been its lack of good villains, I think. One of the things the series was always known for were its iconic bad guys, and nothing this season has introduced so far could hold a candle to the Daleks or the Weeping Angels in terms of scariness or memorability. In previous seasons even non-threatening monsters like the Crooked Man, or tragic figures like the mummy, were at least terrifying. The closest we’re gotten to something like that this season were the floating cloth monsters from episode two, but the Doctor blows them up (after whining to one of her companions that he shouldn’t shoot a bunch of non-sentient killer robots earlier in the episode) and that apparently got rid of all of them.

As for the human villains, they've mostly just been boring. The time-travelling racist wants to stop Rosa Parks because he's a racist; that's the extent of his paper-thin "character". Yawn. The fact that he isn't properly dealt with and is just sent to some other time period where he'll no doubt continue to gently caress things up only makes it worse.

Having three companions at once is also a hindrance. Bradley Walsh saves his role purely on the strength of his acting ability and Yasmin got a bit more to do than usual in this latest episode, but for the most part the script struggles to find ways for them all to meaningfully contribute to the plot. Mixing up the group by having one of them be from the past or future (so they have a unique perspective and skillset) or maybe not taking them all on each adventure would have improved things considerably. There was no real reason for the other two to be in India this week, and the extra time spent on them could have been used to focus more on Yasmin and the excellent guest cast.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 15, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Looking at the feedback I'm deffo looking forward to Jenny''s Fantastic Beasts 2 video. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fantastic Fanfiction and how to writeavoid it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Harry Potter worked in spite of its nonsensical world-building because it had the hook "What if a normal kid like you actually loved going to school because there's loving magic? " Now that we don't have premise anymore it has to rely on the messy backstory and half-assed lore, which on its own isn't compelling enough to garner newer fans.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 15, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nine-gear crow posted:

it is nothing less than a miracle that tng went on to be one of the best shows of the 90's (and debatably ever) considering how unwatchable season 1 was.

season 2 was an improvement but still very uneven, at best.

but man after that, goddamn it (mostly) ruled. the series finale remains my favorite episode of anything ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it doesn’t help that the new movie seems to be doing the Star Wars thing of just using the same villian structure that it’s more popular predecessor used. At least if the commercials are correct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does he actually make anything good anymore? most of the stuff he makes seems to be loving marvel and cape movies and talking about how Nintendo is the greatest thing ever,, or talking about how we should sterilize the rurals so he, the supreme intellectual technocrat godhead can bring humanity to greatness.

Is the latter bit where the Bob "Eugenics" Chipman thing comes from?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
At the risk of causing a nasty derail, apparently Brad Jones (the Cinema Snob) had some pretty disappointing views regarding the Channel Awesome controversy:

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/1062854737819787264

Here's a thread that expands on this:

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/1062856127271055361

It sucks that Brad and his family got harassed, but blaming that on a close friend with legitimate grievances with CA is a lovely thing to do.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 15, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yes, this is disappointing...suprising perhaps not, all things considered, but disappointing (in retrospect, we were perhaps a bit foolish to even entertain that "oh, Doug and/or Brad have some contract that's forcing them to stay there and dance for the entertainment of the evil Michaud). Just saw it on my feed.

We can only hope that the twat just fucks off for some reason and lets Guru Larry claim his title properly.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Equeen posted:

At the risk of causing a nasty derail, apparently Brad Jones (the Cinema Snob) had some pretty disappointing views regarding the Channel Awesome controversy:

It sucks that Brad and his family got harassed, but blaming that on a close friend with legitimate grievances with CA is a lovely thing to do.

that's a depressing thread to read

sorry this poo poo happened lupa

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Jesus loving christ.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now I don't feel as bad about his former girlfriend dumping his rear end. gently caress that guy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I get that fans are unsettling and scary, and that it’s extremely creepy to see internet weirds turn a real person’s life into an exciting drama and speculate about what stunning twist will happen next, but that’s shockingly callous behavior that puts the blame in entirely the wrong direction.

Whatever poo poo fans put Brad through, any woman criticizing channel awesome got the same, plus things so hosed up I can’t even imagine what they might be. He complained about people harassing his grandma and having to move, but I’ve got even money that Allison or somebody else in that document (maybe lots of people) also got that sort of thing and didn’t even complain about it because they knew it would make things worse. It’s a very self-centered response.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Is the latter bit where the Bob "Eugenics" Chipman thing comes from?

No that comes from him going "it's a shame the nazis had to ruin eugenics for everyone". He figured out that was too overt so now he just says things like "conservatives aren't properly evolved human beings" and "people are too stupid for democracy to work, we should leave everything to The Elites".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LibrarianCroaker posted:

No that comes from him going "it's a shame the nazis had to ruin eugenics for everyone". He figured out that was too overt so now he just says things like "conservatives aren't properly evolved human beings" and "people are too stupid for democracy to work, we should leave everything to The Elites".

He also said that people who watched the Amazing Spiderman movies shouldn't be allowed to vote.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's nerd hyperbole. It's what they did/do.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does he actually make anything good anymore? most of the stuff he makes seems to be loving marvel and cape movies and talking about how Nintendo is the greatest thing ever,, or talking about how we should sterilize the rurals so he, the supreme intellectual technocrat godhead can bring humanity to greatness.

Do takes on the Monster Hunter movie count?

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1061990941551144961
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1061995392286498816

Wait, you asked if he made anything good. My mistake.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. its fun bad show and does some weird fun stuff but its never had the "gravitas" of star trek. i kinda like the older doctor who stuff because 60's and 70s BBC stuff is always weirdly charming and fun dumb. the new stuff is fine but its too in love with itself in my opinion. i liked it a bunch in high school but then i just burned out on it.

I have extremely vague memories of seeing Doctor Who on PBS or something years ago, but I've never watched it since then. Like with what you said, the only thing that I'd be interested in watching is the retro-era stuff, back when it was just a low-budget(?) sci-fi show.

The only real entertaining Doctor Who thing that I've seen in the last few years is the intro of the Destiny of the Doctors PC game, which had Anthony Ainley in one of his last performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ_m5pH0-o Not really knowing anything about the series, I find his summaries of each doctor amusing.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bob is a horrid little child in an even more grotesque body.

Better, more uplifting content: Bon Appetit released a new "Pastry Chef Attempts..." (or Gourmet Makes) vid today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sl_9VMeAWg

These vids get insanely popular very quickly - everyone likes to see fancy versions of popular sweet treats, it happens. They're fantastic - the best sort of video that Lindsay talked about in her "Manufacturing Authenticity" vid because it always seems like everyone in the Bon Appetit test kitchen has such a good rapport with each other anyway. Everyone thought these vids might be done because Claire Saffitz left her job at BA a couple of months back but looks like she's still going to be doing these vids regardless.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 15, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As someone who had something similar happen (albeit nowhere near as dramatic/fueled by social media) I empathize with Allison 200%. What a piece of poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did listen to that Double Toasted one but it kinda went in one ear and out the other because I'm not a massive fan of Toast to Toast. I much prefer the shows Korey and crew are on. I wonder if he'll say anything about this in the next few weeks. I know they talked about wanting Brad to come back, but who knows now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who had something similar happen (albeit nowhere near as dramatic/fueled by social media) I empathize with Allison 200%. What a piece of poo poo.

Yeah. Brad was in the position to be able to shrug it off, being white, male and middle class. Like Doug, I don't think he's capable of stepping outside his box.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Better, more uplifting content: Bon Appetit released a new "Pastry Chef Attempts..." (or Gourmet Makes) vid today!

These vids get insanely popular very quickly - everyone likes to see fancy versions of popular sweet treats, it happens. They're fantastic - the best sort of video that Lindsay talked about in her "Manufacturing Authenticity" vid because it always seems like everyone in the Bon Appetit test kitchen has such a good rapport with each other anyway. Everyone thought these vids might be done because Claire Saffitz left her job at BA a couple of months back but looks like she's still going to be doing these vids regardless.

This rules, I love this series and I'm glad that Claire's back to continue it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Harry Potter worked in spite of its nonsensical world-building because it had the hook "What if a normal kid like you actually loved going to school because there's loving magic? " Now that we don't have premise anymore it has to rely on the messy backstory and half-assed lore, which on its own isn't compelling enough to garner newer fans.

weird thing is i kinda of enjoy the adventures newt the magical herper more than harry potter, the super sacrificial lamb godhead. that being said, harry potter universe could have some cool ideas and play with history and poo poo, but its mostly boring "oh no here comes wizard hitler" type poo poo.

Max Wilco posted:

Do takes on the Monster Hunter movie count?

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1061990941551144961
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1061995392286498816

Wait, you asked if he made anything good. My mistake.

I have extremely vague memories of seeing Doctor Who on PBS or something years ago, but I've never watched it since then. Like with what you said, the only thing that I'd be interested in watching is the retro-era stuff, back when it was just a low-budget(?) sci-fi show.

The only real entertaining Doctor Who thing that I've seen in the last few years is the intro of the Destiny of the Doctors PC game, which had Anthony Ainley in one of his last performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ_m5pH0-o Not really knowing anything about the series, I find his summaries of each doctor amusing.

what a loving dickhead. if its not his precious lord and savior Nintendo, its loving evil and bad and GOP jocks. i don't even care for monster hunter but thats so seriously dickish its sad.

on doctor who. i like some of the tom baker stuff. its dumb fun and the outfit is funny.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 15, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, Dave Gobble put it best, "Man, gently caress Brad Jones."

Indeed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Equeen posted:

that sucks. but yeah, gently caress brad.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

For everything I've every said about him, I do agree with Film Robert about Monster Hunter

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

For everything I've every said about him, I do agree with Film Robert about Monster Hunter

i am not a fan of the series either, but he doesn't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kim Justice posted:

Bob is a horrid little child in an even more grotesque body.

These videos are so good. I didn't grow up with any of the American snacks they recreate (bar Skittles) but it's fascinating watching her deconstruct and figure out how to make each snack without the specialised and probably worrying industrial processes the big companies use.

Also Brad Leone's It's Alive! videos are good. Could watch his crunchy hippy rear end ramble on about fermenting all day.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am not a fan of the series either, but he doesn't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Would anyone deny that it focuses more on the gameplay loop than the story?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the story doesn't matter that much but if you're not even gonna try to match the aesthetic then what's even the point

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think people are more upset there is another lovely action movie with mila instead of a good action movie with monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I Before E posted:

Would anyone deny that it focuses more on the gameplay loop than the story?
No, but you also can't deny that the fantasy world that both the monsters and humans live in is like... an enormous part of the appeal of monster hunter.

It's a swords and exotic wilderness sort of thing much more than drab modern settings and guns. (Yes, gunpowder exists in monhun but it's mostly awkward early firearms, albeit over the top ones.)