Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I hate windows so loving much. What else do I need to do to stop it from automatically installing drivers? It seems to be realtek loving audio causing all of my problems.

I thought I had disabled windows automatically updating drivers. I uninstalled realtek drivers Version 6.0.1.8158. Rebooted and noticed that I now have these drivers again. That successfully installed on 10/27 one was windows trying to overwrite my .8158 with a year older driver that doesn't even appear on the website for my motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Ularg posted:

I hate windows so loving much. What else do I need to do to stop it from automatically installing drivers? It seems to be realtek loving audio causing all of my problems.

I thought I had disabled windows automatically updating drivers. I uninstalled realtek drivers Version 6.0.1.8158. Rebooted and noticed that I now have these drivers again. That successfully installed on 10/27 one was windows trying to overwrite my .8158 with a year older driver that doesn't even appear on the website for my motherboard.

Windows 10 Home or Pro?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ularg posted:

Wait, first, what are your "all of my problems"?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Ularg posted:

Go here, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Create under WindowsUpdate key, a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate, double-click and set its value data to 1.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Windows 10 Home or Pro?

10 Pro version 1803

dont be mean to me posted:

Wait, first, what are your "all of my problems"?

Hard computer freezes, frozen picture blasting garbled noise until I hold the power button. Doesn't leave any dump logs, doesn't leave events other than ID 41 "This pc wasn't shut down properlly last time". Usually while playing somewhat modern games, but it's happened on occasion while just browsing or having youtube playing.

I've been trying everything to find the problem, let alone fix it. Audio was my next step, since I wasn't have heat or power or any hardware issues I could find. I could stress test my GPU or my CPU or my RAM and none of them would cause a crash by themselves. I've gotten brand new Hard Drives and a new PSU because my old one gave up the ghost while I was looking for solutions. I've even gone through windows reset to try and get as clean of a slate as possible. For whatever reason I didn't have to deal with it for a couple months but it's come back and won't go away again.

I'm just trying to deliberately only have the audio drivers I want on the system. Since I wanted to see if my computer would still crash using just Nvidias hdmi audio and another time with just realtek audio.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ularg posted:

10 Pro version 1803

Hard computer freezes, frozen picture blasting garbled noise until I hold the power button. Doesn't leave any dump logs, doesn't leave events other than ID 41 "This pc wasn't shut down properlly last time". Usually while playing somewhat modern games, but it's happened on occasion while just browsing or having youtube playing.

I've been trying everything to find the problem, let alone fix it. Audio was my next step, since I wasn't have heat or power or any hardware issues I could find. I could stress test my GPU or my CPU or my RAM and none of them would cause a crash by themselves. I've gotten brand new Hard Drives and a new PSU because my old one gave up the ghost while I was looking for solutions. I've even gone through windows reset to try and get as clean of a slate as possible. For whatever reason I didn't have to deal with it for a couple months but it's come back and won't go away again.

I'm just trying to deliberately only have the audio drivers I want on the system. Since I wanted to see if my computer would still crash using just Nvidias hdmi audio and another time with just realtek audio.

So disconnect your computer from the internet?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ularg posted:

10 Pro version 1803

Sounds like it could be memory or power supply.

Have you stress-tested CPU AND GPU at the same time?

How old is your power supply and how much of that time has your computer been up?

Have you used Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86+ yet?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sounds like it could be memory or power supply.

Have you stress-tested CPU AND GPU at the same time?

How old is your power supply and how much of that time has your computer been up?

Have you used Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86+ yet?

My last PSU died during the initial struggle trying to fix the crashing. Bought a new one on recommendation for my parts. It's also running off a battery backup so no power outtages can cause damage or make my PC shut down on its own. Not sure about "how much of that time has your computer been up?" means. If it's about computer uptime before crashes I've had it crashed after being on for a full day beforehand, and I've had it crash an hour or a couple after preemptively rebooting or rebooting from a crash.

I've ran the full set of memtest86+ tests and found nothing. I ran Windows Memory Diag and it didn't seem to find anything, but when it told me it would show me results after booting back into windows it never did.

It seems like once in awhile I'll do something that makes the crashing go away for awhile. Whether it's a specifically new windows or driver update or changing something up about my settings or system but it does eventually come back. The last time I had it go away was when I switched back to using realtek audio and a single monitor and the crashing came back 2 months down the line without changing a single bit of my setup or software.

And because a reinstall of windows didn't permanently fix it, it's not likely that there's a broken driver so much as there's conflict somewhere that I can't find.

fishmech posted:

So disconnect your computer from the internet?

Crashes are really inconsistent, I can't reproduce it at will beyond running a game long enough. So that's basically throwing a wrench into the plan anytime I need to go online to do something that my phone can't do.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I was actually referring to how many hours you'd put on the power supply in its life, but if it's been replaced odds are pretty good that's not it unless the new one has a lot less power output.

Do you have a drive controller driver installed? You actually might not want this.

Also I had a Crucial M4 (the ones with the bad firmware) fail like this.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Ularg posted:

10 Pro version 1803

Modify this Group Policy setting:

Win+R, gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Keep in mind, this will stop ALL driver updates coming in via Windows Update.

Or modify the registry setting like the previous poster mentioned.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I was actually referring to how many hours you'd put on the power supply in its life, but if it's been replaced odds are pretty good that's not it unless the new one has a lot less power output.

Do you have a drive controller driver installed? You actually might not want this.

Also I had a Crucial M4 (the ones with the bad firmware) fail like this.

I'm unfamiliar so probably not.

Im_Special posted:

Create under WindowsUpdate key, a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate, double-click and set its value data to 1.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Modify this Group Policy setting:

Win+R, gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

Keep in mind, this will stop ALL driver updates coming in via Windows Update.

Or modify the registry setting like the previous poster mentioned.

Thank you everyone for the advice on stopping the updates. Stopping all driver updates is already for now since it's temporary. I was hoping a program like O&O Shutup10 would make it easier to disable a lot of the update features (back when I had such slow internet that anytime windows did anything update related everyone was unable to load a drat thing).

Man, I've whined a lot to myself over windows doing something automatically in the background that completely screws up what you're trying to do AND gives you no indication on when it will even be done.

qe: It was already done. Could windows reinstall drivers automatically if it's already on the system? If it had downloaded the installers already and just rerunning them.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 15, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

By drive controllers I had meant also the IDE section (unless you're actually using RAID or StoreMI or whatever). Intel Rapid Storage Technology, etc. Some of them can wind up in "Storage Controllers" because SCSI/SAS emulation and other reasons, but if you have any they didn't.

And yes, Windows Update can cache driver packages it downloads. Go into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, dig into them with 7-Zip, and delete the ones that look like driver packages (they have .inf, .cat and .sys files in them). Or recycle all of them but don't empty it or shift-delete anything unless you're drat sure of what it is and that it's a thing you expressly do not want.

It may STILL re-download them if they're classified as a security thing rather than just a performance thing. Windows makes a Show or Hide Updates wizard that can turn them off (until the next time they get bumped) but Windows Update MiniTool, despite being decidedly amateur, is a lot easier to deal with.

Remember how I said Microsoft shouldn't trust OEMs (even their own device division) as far as they can throw 'em? This is why.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 15, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Remember how I said Microsoft shouldn't trust OEMs (even their own device division) as far as they can throw 'em? This is why.

There are no good answers with realtek drivers, so I dunno what better option they've got. It's some variety of poo poo no matter what. The only possible driver policy is "forget it Jake, it's Realtek".

My recent Realtek Experience™: I have a super-cheap craptop that came with a realtek Wifi mini-card. Using the official latest realtek drivers, it lost connection every so often and I had to disable/enable the wifi to reconnect. Using the drivers from windows update it occasionally made the computer hard reset when coming back from sleep.

I ripped it out and replaced it with an salvaged atheros mini-card. Despite the fact that atheros wifi cards haven't been supported since qualcomm bought them out, the drivers from windows update worked perfectly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Anyone here ever use Provisioning Packages?

I can't get one to hook up to our wifi. Put in the SSID, put in the key, flag it as WPA2 and.... the machine still acts like it's never connected to that network before and prompts for the key.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Im_Special posted:

That same key (ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate) also exists under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

I have both of them set to 1.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some more cool stuff concerning 1809

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/16/windows_10_update/

Specifically

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4471218/mapped-network-drives-don-t-work-in-windows-10-version-1809

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Breaking mapped drives is going to be a loving pain. Fix coming in 2019?! Really microsoft??!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
time to switch to ltsb or whatever they call it now

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

necrotic posted:

Late term software abortion.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

necrotic posted:

The newest LTSB(C) is 1809.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Another article about current issues with 1809

https://betanews.com/2018/11/16/windows-10-1809-still-a-buggy-mess/

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

necrotic posted:

LTSC has it's potential drawbacks that are stopping me from using it everywhere:

- Microsoft planning to stop supporting Office 365 Pro Plus on LTSC releases starting next year. (The regular Office 2016/2019 apps will still work)
- Volume license only, so most people would need to crack it to use on personal devices.
- Not receiving updates to support new chipsets, and not supporting Surface devices at all.
- No Microsoft Store. For most people that's not an issue, but recently I've gotten requests at work to install apps that are only available from the MS store. If those users were on LTSC I would have to rip the apps and sideload them. Which would stop auto-updates for those apps and probably be some sort of license agreement violation.

That said LTSB 2016 is working well for me in computer labs and a handful of PCs that run critical software 24/7. I was considering switching my VDI images to LTSC 2016 or 2019, but Microsoft seems to be going out of their way to scare people away from it. I was at a Microsoft symposium a couple weeks ago and the guy presenting it claimed that there was no reason to use LTSC because "In all the years that I've been on the Windows 10 team I haven't once heard of Windows 10 feature updates causing issues." :rolleyes: Although if that's not an outright lie it's basically an admission that they're ignoring feedback.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CFox posted:

The newest LTSB(C) is 1809.

Mine's still on 1607 and says it's up to date.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Mine's still on 1607 and says it's up to date.

LTSB doesn't update like that, you'll be on 1607 forever unless you go out and get version 1809 and install it.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Jeez, isn't 1607 already past EOL?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

svenkatesh posted:

Jeez, isn't 1607 already past EOL?

The LTSB version will continue to get security/reliability updates until late 2026.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Also Education/Enterprise versions of 1607 get updates until April 2019.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Hungry Computer posted:

Also Education/Enterprise versions of 1607 get updates until April 2019.

Isn’t that when Windows XP also finally dies for real?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CFox posted:

LTSB doesn't update like that, you'll be on 1607 forever unless you go out and get version 1809 and install it.

Perfect.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm gonna be building a new PC here soon, and i was wondering about the process of bringing my current Win10 install to the new hardware. I have lots of stuff I'd prefer to not have to reinstall (plus configs that might get lost in a reinstall, which I definitely don't want.) So I was planning to clone my C: drive to the new SSD and drop it in with the new PC. I know it's supposed to be easier to do this with Windows 10 than previous Windows versions, but is there anything specific I need to do?
I read that there's some deal about transfering my key over with the free upgrade from Win7, but how do I check if I can or not? And for that matter, how do i transfer the key at all?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'm gonna be building a new PC here soon, and i was wondering about the process of bringing my current Win10 install to the new hardware. I have lots of stuff I'd prefer to not have to reinstall (plus configs that might get lost in a reinstall, which I definitely don't want.) So I was planning to clone my C: drive to the new SSD and drop it in with the new PC. I know it's supposed to be easier to do this with Windows 10 than previous Windows versions, but is there anything specific I need to do?
I read that there's some deal about transfering my key over with the free upgrade from Win7, but how do I check if I can or not? And for that matter, how do i transfer the key at all?

There's no key, your old hardware is activated for Windows 10 through the internet with MS's activation servers. It recognizes some kind of hash of the PC hardware. When you clone or move your old install to the new system it will deactivate and you'll need to input a key for the new hardware. Fortunately windows 10 keys are plentiful because windows 7 and 10 keys work. If you had a sticker on your old PC with a windows 7 key you could try that one. You could buy a windows 10 key off scdkey, or a windows 7 one from SA-Mart, or ebay or any other sources like that just to get windows activated.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rexxed posted:

There's no key, your old hardware is activated for Windows 10 through the internet with MS's activation servers. It recognizes some kind of hash of the PC hardware. When you clone or move your old install to the new system it will deactivate and you'll need to input a key for the new hardware. Fortunately windows 10 keys are plentiful because windows 7 and 10 keys work. If you had a sticker on your old PC with a windows 7 key you could try that one. You could buy a windows 10 key off scdkey, or a windows 7 one from SA-Mart, or ebay or any other sources like that just to get windows activated.

Wow. It's good I asked then, because guides i was reading had completely different instructions with wildly differing answers.
Sadly, this does mean I'll need to find a key, but I'm pretty sure a guy down the road that works IT will have some keys I could use.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

With quality control getting worse with each major update, it's going to be an increasingly hard sell for Microsoft when it comes to steering people away from LTSC. I'm at the point now where I made the decision to install it on my work laptop instead of the regular Enterprise edition. If I didn't already purchase a Pro license for my home computer, I'd probably be looking for a way to run LTSC on that as well. I seriously hope they're learning valuable lessons from this for future updates.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Luckily Microsoft thought of that and has made it as as hard as possible to run LTSC.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Wow. It's good I asked then, because guides i was reading had completely different instructions with wildly differing answers.
Sadly, this does mean I'll need to find a key, but I'm pretty sure a guy down the road that works IT will have some keys I could use.
A digital license can be transferrable if you use a Microsoft account to log in to Windows as outlined for example here.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

mystes posted:

Luckily Microsoft thought of that and has made it as as hard as possible to run LTSC.

It’s actually not too tough. About as easy as KMS activation on previous versions.

Where Microsoft are dumb is their huge number of new SKUs, and gimping things like Pro so they can sell Enterprise and LTSC.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Flipperwaldt posted:

A digital license can be transferrable if you use a Microsoft account to log in to Windows as outlined for example here.

Seems i already have my key linked with my account, but I'll get an extra key just in case something weird happens.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Looks kinda like MS has given up on Cortana... about time. LOL at selling Alexa in their store.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...2BfK4NohFu7o5Dg

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

When I lock my computer, 25 seconds later the screens turn off.

on my old win10 machine, when I locked my computer, the lock screen stayed on.

I have set basically every Settings UI related display function to never turn off/never sleep/never hibernate on both power and battery but it still makes the monitors go to sleep after 25 seconds. I dont want this to happen as sometimes I only leave my desk for a few minutes and waiting an additional 20 seconds every time I leave my desk to get the monitors back on so I can sign in is annoying.

what settings am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

When I lock my computer, 25 seconds later the screens turn off.

on my old win10 machine, when I locked my computer, the lock screen stayed on.

I have set basically every Settings UI related display function to never turn off/never sleep/never hibernate on both power and battery but it still makes the monitors go to sleep after 25 seconds. I dont want this to happen as sometimes I only leave my desk for a few minutes and waiting an additional 20 seconds every time I leave my desk to get the monitors back on so I can sign in is annoying.

what settings am I missing?

1. Check the old control panel power settings.
2. Is this a work computer/is it possible that the setting is hardcoded by your admin? I had a similar issue with the computer going to sleep after 5 minutes even when plugged in and I had to ask my company's IT to change that policy.