Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

freelop posted:

Had a tooth pulled today.
That's another AI:SS present sorted

I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

Time for some fake confidence, friends.

Fuckin' send it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Holy crap. It's been a long time since I got an honest-to-God 419 (Nigerian) scam email:

quote:

Dear Honest Partner

From Firstbankofnigeria@info.org Date Today 14:18
Message Body
REV JAMES ABEL OF
FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA LTD
35 Marina P. O. Box 5216,
LAGOS- NIGERIA.

Dear Honest Partner.

I need your assistance to transfer the sum of $7.500.000.00
Million Dollars out of my bank to a foreign country.This fund has
been dormant for a very long time and my bank does not know about
it.I will put your name as the real owner of this fund and i will
present you to the bank.

At the end of the successful transfer of this fund to your bank
account.We are to share it 70% 30%.70% for you and 30% for me.I
will come down to your country and receive my own share of the
fund to avoid any detection from my bank and government.

However,all i need is a trustworthy person.Reply me with your
direct phone number and country of origin so that i can call you
and brief you more about this transaction.

Please note that,this transaction is risk free and safe,because i
have all the documents as proof.

Yours truly,
Rev. James Abel
+2348034455001
(Director International Remittance Department)
Email: rev.jamesabel@gmail.com

edit: "the sum of seven million five hundred thousand dollars Million Dollars" when actually read...
Gee, I wonder what the transaction fees will be?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 14, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
99% certain that I was there, along with the totally-coincidentally only minorities in the corresponding class groups, to show variations of "diversity" to clinical site and post-graduation employer department heads. But it went well anyway, and we got to ask and answer questions. I was sat front and center, right between the program director and campus president, and they asked me to give input a lot during the two hours.

I learned that a nursing program lives and dies by two things: its NCLEX first-time-pass rates, and the rate of employment during the first six months after graduation. I guess our program hosts these dinners/luncheons in order to give perspectives on those figures to hospitals or other potential employers in order to fight for clinical rotation availability (schools have to compete to convince hospitals to let us shadow as students) and to pump those post-grad numbers up. The hospital representatives were all from hospitals that traditionally don't hire as many of our graduate students compared to others, so it was basically a professional hobnob/advertisement. Ew.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sister is an ER nurse, can confirm that's 100% true.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Chicken.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

(gave up trying to get it to embed a video with a start time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo&t=455s

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

(gave up trying to get it to embed a video with a start time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo&t=455s

I've had the same problem in reverse lately... can't get rid of the embedded start time.

That car needs a 'busa motor and it'd be the most fun thing ever.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Queen Combat posted:

99% certain that I was there, along with the totally-coincidentally only minorities in the corresponding class groups, to show variations of "diversity" to clinical site and post-graduation employer department heads. But it went well anyway, and we got to ask and answer questions. I was sat front and center, right between the program director and campus president, and they asked me to give input a lot during the two hours.

I learned that a nursing program lives and dies by two things: its NCLEX first-time-pass rates, and the rate of employment during the first six months after graduation. I guess our program hosts these dinners/luncheons in order to give perspectives on those figures to hospitals or other potential employers in order to fight for clinical rotation availability (schools have to compete to convince hospitals to let us shadow as students) and to pump those post-grad numbers up. The hospital representatives were all from hospitals that traditionally don't hire as many of our graduate students compared to others, so it was basically a professional hobnob/advertisement. Ew.

Welcome to college!

At least it went well. Did the gift bag have anything good?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The goonzquad fellers went and picked up a wrecked 2014 Viper TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggdd-BEtunA

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

Welcome to college!

At least it went well. Did the gift bag have anything good?

Hah, wound/body measuring tape, books and books of post-it notes of varying sizes, washable pens (no rubber grips), novelty badge reel, notepads, and candy. So much candy. So basically nurse crack.

Afterwards, the director and I talked a bit, she asked if I would mind doing things like this again in the future. Feels a bit dirty but hey, if it gets my face out there (networking!) and I get to change things for future trans students, then hell yeah.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Hah, wound/body measuring tape, books and books of post-it notes of varying sizes, washable pens (no rubber grips), novelty badge reel, notepads, and candy. So much candy. So basically nurse crack.

Afterwards, the director and I talked a bit, she asked if I would mind doing things like this again in the future. Feels a bit dirty but hey, if it gets my face out there (networking!) and I get to change things for future trans students, then hell yeah.

Pro move - something for you, something for other trans students! You're doing a pretty good job of being aware they're doing this to highlight and improve diversity, so you know they get something out of it, but making sure you and other trans (or other minority students, really) get more focus and attention makes it worthwhile. You have the benefit of not being a starry eyed eighteen year old. :)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Show them pictures of the bus and the dragon.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elmnt80 posted:

Show them pictures of the bus and the dragon.

She's trying to get a residency, not a rrested.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hippie trans teetotaling medic mechanic? These are professionals! I'd be thrown in the loony bin. Or invited to parties. Nurses are weird.

E: I don't have class until 1400 tomorrow, watching The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition for the first time ever.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 15, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Queen Combat posted:

Oh, you've already started on the pen craziness. A good click top pen that is undeniably yours is like gold

And hey, getting in the good graces of higher ups never hurts either

Queen Combat posted:

Hippie trans teetotaling medic mechanic? These are professionals! I'd be thrown in the loony bin. Or invited to parties. Nurses are weird.

E: I don't have class until 1400 tomorrow, watching The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition for the first time ever.

The only thing I miss about blockbuster is renting the complete extended series and watching all of the extras. I never got to finish Return of the King

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fender Anarchist posted:

She's trying to get a residency, not a rrested.

They might put her in charge.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"
Has that always been there and I just never noticed? :psyduck:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't used the voice in years.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"

I never use the voice, but fast food places always show up if I'm driving in a residential area. I guess it's good to have visual landmarks, but I don't know how I feel about it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Psh. Closing pushed to monday. LAME.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ExplodingSims posted:

It's supposed to be visual landmarks, not advertising.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would be a little fun if the navigator started saying stuff like "are you hungry for a tasty Big Mac?" whenever you pass a McD's.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Queen Combat posted:

Sleep well! :v:

ExplodingSims posted:

It's been in there for a while, but it's not always there for me. Bigger cities (OKC) seem to have it, but I've not noticed it really in Nashville. I really wish it'd just abbreviate the highways / interstates. There's a few where it's like "Take the exit for HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street.... Merge onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street. Turn left onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street" It's exhausting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

The only thing I miss about blockbuster is renting the complete extended series and watching all of the extras. I never got to finish Return of the King

Extended LOTR is so much better than Theatrical, it's like an extra 200hp for your sports car.

I bought dvds of both versions when they came out, but I made a promise not to watch the EE of the last one until I had a big tv and surround system. Something to savour.

Of course, now I have such a setup, I refuse to watch mere dvds instead of bluray.

So it sits unwatched.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's just finishing now, 3:40 in. It's so much better than the theatrical releases. I'm watching 36GB Blu-ray rips on a 4k TV with real surround headphones (actual 3 drivers per side).

(Yes, 3:40. I watch the credits. Y'all've seen how big an Enya fan I am so much I stole her middle name, gotta listen to that poo poo)

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 15, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Queen Combat posted:

Be careful. The last nurse around here who got deep into Tolkien ended up with Strong Opinions on elf reproduction.

On second thought, that was frickin' hilarious, carry on. :D

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You dissin my puntl? I've still got my first edition glow/gold one adorning the mantlepiece :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nope, I'm still waiting for an excuse to send one for Secret Santa. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've been chain smoking for like 10 hours straight and for the past 4 of those hours of chain smoking, I've been wondering why I can't fall asleep
:thunk:

Sometimes I think I might actually be stupid

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I've been chain smoking for like 10 hours straight and for the past 4 of those hours of chain smoking, I've been wondering why I can't fall asleep
:thunk:

Sometimes I think I might actually be stupid

Angling for another kiss?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

He had the night off...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Queen Combat posted:

Please try to get yourself shopped onto the cover of the prospectus at least twice, pre and post transition.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Real icy out this morning, a number of pile ups, some schools even delayed.

My studded snow tires got me to work no problem :smug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seems like overkill for Indiana. Just swapped my snows on last night. Getting 3" today supposedly but lucky for me I'm out sick for the billionth time (don't have kids).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

It's been there at least a year, but mainly in major metro areas.

Easy way to get rid of it though. Top left (3 bars thing) -> settings ->Navigation Settings -> Voice Selection -> English (US). It dumbs it down to just "in <so many feet>, turn right".

You lose out on street names, but my phone holder is next to the cluster, so it's just a quick glance to see it.

QuarkMartial posted:

It's been in there for a while, but it's not always there for me. Bigger cities (OKC) seem to have it, but I've not noticed it really in Nashville. I really wish it'd just abbreviate the highways / interstates. There's a few where it's like "Take the exit for HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street.... Merge onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street. Turn left onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street" It's exhausting.

See above. It dumbs it down to just "at the fork, stay right", "in 500 feet, turn right", "make an illegal turn across 5 lanes of traffic", etc.

I use Google Maps 8 hours a day, even street names get annoying. Just tell me when to turn and which fork to take.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems like overkill for Indiana.

For most of Indiana it would be. We get some crazy lake effect here, I'm talking two feet overnight sometimes, and I actually look forward to those days now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems like overkill for Indiana. Just swapped my snows on last night. Getting 3" today supposedly but lucky for me I'm out sick for the billionth time (don't have kids).

I don't get the whole kids getting everyone sick thing, maybe I'm lucky but my son hasn't been sick in years, and when he was in the past I think maybe once I got sick from him. But then some friends of ours have two kids that are constantly sick, and it gets them sick all the time as well I don't get it. Must be my son has a very healthy immune system thank god :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I keep browsing old alfa wheels on eBay, they go for nothing (nobody wants 13" & 14" wheels) and they're such a frivolous unnecessary luxury but the panda would look :krad: with some of these orange powder coated:

• Locked thread